hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The red

@hibs.net private member
    Fair question.

In truth, I have never felt better. I always eat at the same time and I take plenty of exercise.

Who knows how I will be in ten years time but having seen siblings die in their forties, who didn't drink or smoke, I will not hold back - within reason!

2. Log in to remove the advert

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by rodhibs55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some fantastic wines, red, white and green, (vinho verde), from Portugal. Portuguese wine is very under rated in particular wine from the Duro region.
    Funnily enough I'm sitting in Lisbon right now after being on a wine tour! Green wine I think is more like a breakfast wine on holiday, drunk a lot from the Douro region, the Doa stuff is better. We are coming back in September for the harvest, cannot wait 😀
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Gamer IDs

Obviously red is a very personal choice and I blow my nose at anyone that tells me how to drink it. A friend of a friend that has his own yard swears by warming the red wine bottle in the micro for 5 secs or even putting the bottle in the shower to bring it up above room temperature. I like to try different things so I gave it a try and the taste is like a completely different drink, try it sometime and you can blow your nose in my general direction 😀

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Who knows how I will be in ten years time but having seen siblings die in their forties, who didn't drink or smoke, I will not hold back
    Fair dos!

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    A friend of a friend that has his own yard swears by warming the red wine bottle in the micro for 5 secs or even putting the bottle in the shower to bring it up above room temperature. I like to try different things so I gave it a try and the taste is like a completely different drink, try it sometime and you can blow your nose in my general direction 😀
    Slightly above room temp for most flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Think it was Scouse who mentioned that the room temperature recommendation was from over 100 years ago when room temperatures were much colder than we have now.
    So chilled might actually be the way to go
    Room temperature in Scotland or in Italy/Spain?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Room temperature in Scotland or in Italy/Spain?
    In the Winter or Summer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rodhibs55 View Post
    Some fantastic wines, red, white and green, (vinho verde), from Portugal. Portuguese wine is very under rated in particular wine from the Duro region.

I was in Porto a couple of years ago and drank a fair bit of Douro red. It was top notch but you don’t seem to find much of it here.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    [/B]

I was in Porto a couple of years ago and drank a fair bit of Douro red. It was top notch but you don’t seem to find much of it here.
    It’s difficult to get much in the way of Portuguese wine here, outwith wine merchants and online, and Douro tends to be the most common, understandably.

Other regions worth looking out for are Dao, Transmontano and Alentejo for a range of full-bodied reds.

Portugal is obviously known for vinho verde, a slightly spritzy white that’s perfect for outdoors in the summer.

Personal favourite is Moscatel, a rich and delicious dessert wine. They make it in Douro but the Setúbal variety is my preference.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

One of my work colleagues mentioned to a customer to look and feel the "pit" on the base of the bottle - the deeper it is, the better quality of the wine. Is this true at all?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    One of my work colleagues mentioned to a customer to look and feel the "pit" on the base of the bottle - the deeper it is, the better quality of the wine. Is this true at all?
    No, nothing to do with quality. It's in relation to how long you can keep it for. The deeper the pit helps with the sediment that may gather inside the bottle over the period. The deepest pit that I know of means you can store it for 20yrs from the date of harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    No, nothing to do with quality. It's in relation to how long you can keep it for. The deeper the pit helps with the sediment that may gather inside the bottle over the period. The deepest pit that I know of means you can store it for 20yrs from the date of harvest.
    Thsnk you for clarifying that

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Was served a bottle of rioja at Cafe
    Café Andaluz yesterday that was well above room temperature. Pointed this out to my wife at the time and wasn't sure what to make of it,,,, turns out warm red wine is bloody acidic and causes horrific heartburn.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    turns out warm red wine is bloody acidic and causes horrific heartburn.
    All red wine is acidic and causes heartburn if you drink enough of it. Are you suggesting warming makes a difference?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Was served a bottle of rioja at Cafe
    Café Andaluz yesterday that was well above room temperature. Pointed this out to my wife at the time and wasn't sure what to make of it,,,, turns out warm red wine is bloody acidic and causes horrific heartburn.

Perception of various elements in a wine can change dramatically with things like temperature, aging and exposure to air. For example, the colder the wine is, the sharper the acidity will feel, in part because the cold also masks any sweetness the wine has, mutes the aromatics and makes the wine’s body seems less full. As a wine warms up, it can come across as sweeter and more aromatic, its acidity will be masked.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    All red wine is acidic and causes heartburn if you drink enough of it. Are you suggesting warming makes a difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Perception of various elements in a wine can change dramatically with things like temperature, aging and exposure to air. For example, the colder the wine is, the sharper the acidity will feel, in part because the cold also masks any sweetness the wine has, mutes the aromatics and makes the wine’s body seems less full. As a wine warms up, it can come across as sweeter and more aromatic, its acidity will be masked.
    I have drunk more than my fair share of red wine, at various temperatures (from chilled Shiraz to local Greek wine left out in the sun) and have NEVER suffered such discomfort before.
    It certainly won't put me off going back but I'll try not to drink from a bottle that feels like it's been lying next to an oven,,,,