hibs.net Messageboard

Cup Semi at Tynecastle? (NHC)

Just when I thought I had heard it all 'Biscuits' Preston suggesting on radio Killie/Aberdeen v Motherwell semi final be played at Tynecastle?

Is that man for real?

A half finished building site, non EUFA compliant rustbucket!!

Oh ma sides.........

2. Log in to remove the advert

Hampden has the contract for Scottish cup semis,the league cup can go to other grounds though,as usual he’s spouting pee,I mean that I really do

He did have a point though about a semi being played at Hampden with 30 odd thousand empty seats.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    His nickname should be Basket. As in basketcase.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Spoke to a Motherwell fan on Monday, he acknowledges they won't take (relatively) many to a semi but ruled out an Edinburgh semi venue because Aberdeen should bring a fair number down (as they should) and Kilmarnock fans won't fancy travelling all the way to Edinburgh (probably via Glasgow) passing Hampden on the way,,,,

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hampden has the contract for Scottish cup semis,the league cup can go to other grounds though,as usual he’s spouting pee,I mean that I really do
    You thinking of Lockie?

Left by mutual consent!
    He’s a plumb. Sportsound wont pick him up on it though. They repeat the new “stadium” ***** over and over again.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    He did have a point though about a semi being played at Hampden with 30 odd thousand empty seats.
    Players play football in this country to make the Scottish Cip Senis and Final at the national stadium and if you are David Gray Captain and score a last minute winner...sorry off track there. That shouldn’t be taken away from them regardless of the attendance. Aberdeen will take 20,000 Killie or Motherwell 7-10k. Seat for lives and officials and sponsored another 5k. It won’t be as bad as previous Semis like Sheep v Qos for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee16 View Post
    Players play football in this country to make the Scottish Cip Senis and Final at the national stadium and if you are David Gray Captain and score a last minute winner...sorry off track there. That shouldn’t be taken away from them regardless of the attendance. Aberdeen will take 20,000 Killie or Motherwell 7-10k. Seat for lives and officials and sponsored another 5k. It won’t be as bad as previous Semis like Sheep v Qos for example.
    Aberdeen never have, and won’t this time, take 20k. They barely took 12k last season.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    It will be a 12.15 kick off on a Saturday, there will be no more than 20000 regardless of who plays in the semis

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Doesn't seem fair that Hearts would get to play at home in a semi final.

Or do you mean the other one? Surely the old firm will sell out Hampden.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    It will be a 12.15 kick off on a Saturday,

Which an insult and disgraceful.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    It will be a 12.15 kick off on a Saturday, there will be no more than 20000 regardless of who plays in the semis
    Except when Aberdeen played Hibs last year? Was the crowd not 28'000? I was there but my memories not what it was.

If it's going to be played anywhere other than Hampden, it will be at Edinburgh's biggest football stadium.

First Team Breakthrough
    No way will the sheep take 20k,remember last season.
    The game live on telly early ko lucky if they take 10k

Who gives a flying Donald ... !
    Bring them on and let’s smash them .

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    At least New Tiny will get a sell out crowd.

I'd be surprised if these Motherwell and Killie teams didn't take over 25,000 total. It's no novelty for Aberdeen but would still expect a decent crowd.

Game should be at Hampden.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Just when I thought I had heard it all 'Biscuits' Preston suggesting on radio Killie/Aberdeen v Motherwell semi final be played at Tynecastle?

Is that man for real?

A half finished building site, non EUFA compliant rustbucket!!

Oh ma sides.........
    He also suggested ER, which he said was a magnificent stadium (or words to the effect). He was making a very good point. The game should be at ER. Tynie would be an option when it's finished.

First Team Breakthrough
    If its well v Killie no chance it would sell out in Edinburgh

Quote Originally Posted by hibsboy07 View Post
    If its well v Killie no chance it would sell out in Edinburgh
    Motherwell v Kilmarnock wouldn't even sell out in either Motherwell or Kilmarnock. The fact it would be held in Edinburgh would be irrelevant.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    The only thing Tynecastle has going for it is that its slightly better location wise than Easter Road. If I were a Motherwell, Aberdeen or Killie fan I'd much prefer adding 15 minutes onto my journey to watch the semi in a stadium that I know is safe though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Aberdeen should take 15-20,000 to a winnable Semi if they don’t then fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    The only thing Tynecastle has going for it is that its slightly better location wise than Easter Road. If I were a Motherwell, Aberdeen or Killie fan I'd much prefer adding 15 minutes onto my journey to watch the semi in a stadium that I know is safe though.
    Good point but irrelevant as Tiny isn’t completed and should not even be considered until its ‘Officially Opened’ again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Except when Aberdeen played Hibs last year? Was the crowd not 28'000? I was there but my memories not what it was.
    Aye, but at least 17,000 of that crowd was Hibs supporters.

If its Killie v Motherwell in the semi I think it will be a miracle if the crowd hits 20,000 .... Motherwell couldn't even sell 4000 home tickets for a quarter final game against Hearts. If its Motherwell v Aberdeen the Dons fans are going to look at yet another 12:15 kick in the baws from the SFA and stay away in their droves and in all honesty who could blame them?

In semi finals and finals the turnout for most clubs is reliant on casual fans to boost numbers and Aberdeen are no different ... If you make them have to get up at 6am just to get to the game and remove any prospect of a pre match build up in the pubs around Hampden, where is the incentive to go when they can watch the game on TV? For a lot of fans games at Hampden are as much an event because of the pre match build up as the game itself .... where's the fun in spending 3 hours on a dry bus with at best an hour in the boozer before the match when you get there?

Football is supposed to be an entertainment FFS ..... Imagine going to the theatre or cinema and them putting the production or film on at such a time that you couldn't plan to go for a meal first? ... only football treats its 'customers' in such a stupid and self defeating manner.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

If its Killie v Motherwell in the semi I think it will be a miracle if the crowd hits 20,000 .... Motherwell couldn't even sell 4000 home tickets for a quarter final game against Hearts. If its Motherwell v Aberdeen the Dons fans are going to look at yet another 12:15 kick in the baws from the SFA and stay away in their droves and in all honesty who could blame them?

In semi finals and finals the turnout for most clubs is reliant on casual fans to boost numbers and Aberdeen are no different ... If you make them have to get up at 6am just to get to the game and remove any prospect of a pre match build up in the pubs around Hampden, where is the incentive to go when they can watch the game on TV? For a lot of fans games at Hampden are as much an event because of the pre match build up as the game itself .... where's the fun in spending 3 hours on a dry bus with at best an hour in the boozer before the match when you get there?

Football is supposed to be an entertainment FFS ..... Imagine going to the theatre or cinema and them putting the production or film on at such a time that you couldn't plan to go for a meal first? ... only football treats its 'customers' in such a stupid and self defeating manner.
    I agree totally with you except the dry bus issue is there such a thing now (I know its illegal but is it still enforced)

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

If its Killie v Motherwell in the semi I think it will be a miracle if the crowd hits 20,000 .... Motherwell couldn't even sell 4000 home tickets for a quarter final game against Hearts. If its Motherwell v Aberdeen the Dons fans are going to look at yet another 12:15 kick in the baws from the SFA and stay away in their droves and in all honesty who could blame them?.
    It would certainly be a miracle for any crowd at Tynecastle to hit 20,000 as it only holds circa19,500. Unless you count the premium ‘Castle View’ seats? In most Stadiums, having seats that do not face the pitch would be a disadvantage. For Hearts it is a definite plus!

Apart from anything else why would the SFA want to put any showpiece match in the crumbling rust trap that is Tynecastle? Its playing surface is too small anyway.
    Last edited by jgl07; 08-03-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    It would certainly be a miracle for any crowd at Tynecastle to hit 20,000 as it only holds circa19,500. Unless you count the premium ‘Castle View’ seats? In most Stadiums, having seats that do not face the pitch would be a disadvantage. For Hearts it is a definite plus!

Apart from anything else why would the FA want to put any showpiece match in the crumbling rust trap that is Tynecastle? Its playing surface is too small anyway.
    Tynecastle would host a league cup Semi if there was no danger there would be a sell out or if we are involved in it. Easter Road is better for absolutely everything. Apart from that mythical atmosphere due to it being a death trap and on top of the pitch.

The very fact that Preston mentioned Easter Road and Tynecastle in the same sentence beggars belief and either

a) Shows the ignorance of the man
    b) Shows the arrogance of the man

Either way, incredible.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    When Boris gets the world cup pulled from Russia maybe Preston will want to move it to the 18500 capacity rustingarena?

There's not an atmosphere like it apparently.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby