hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rod Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A traitor to his Edinburgh roots by being an Ugly sisters glory hunting toss pot and a traitor to his London birthplace by being a Man Utd supporter ... he can stick 'Hibs are my 2nd team right up his Maggie May.

Nae batter than that other glory hunting tosser Seen Canary .... he cant even seem to decide which one of the Ugly sisters tae suck up to, I doubt even the Sheltic shupporters have much time for him.

Give me the late great Ronnie Corbett any time over that two.
    Agree, the guy is a phantom.

I’m not having any of this “his passion is real” stuff either. It’s funny how nobody just HAS to support teams like Dundee, Raith Rovers or Doncaster.

He’s as fake as Coolio and can GTF.

On the flip side, I don’t mind his music and that draw was pure rock n roll.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Was some game, but a bit before the Tornadoes. Alan Gordon scored for Hearts that day. The result put us down to fourth in the league, having scored 21 goals in the five matches played.

Match reports
    I think I'm getting mixed up with a 4-2 defeat at home because was definitely the Tornadoes. Rod wasn't really a star in 1966.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
    I read that he was playing a gig in Glasgow back in the 60's, he met a few Celtic players afterwards and they invited him to training the next day.
    Jock Stein and the players made him welcome and a freindship with the club developed. He gradually became a fan of Celtic through his personal relationship with the club rather than some bandwagonesque gloryhunting trip.
    If the story is true then fair enough, the guy is entitled to support who he wants. You can see his passion for Celtic is real, his reaction after the Barca victory was clearly genuine.
    Yet if you google images of rod in a Rangers top they are from the early 70s.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    He knows Strachan from his (Gordon's) Aberdeen days. They had a mutual friend, Ricky Simpson, a well known Aberdeen hotelier.
    I'm sure your info is 100% brog, but the info I had was that it was Strachan's mother who first approached the church to see if they would be willing to conduct the ceremony, due to RS's dads' Leith connection.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Was some game, but a bit before the Tornadoes. Alan Gordon scored for Hearts that day. The result put us down to fourth in the league, having scored 21 goals in the five matches played.

Match reports
    Great reading the match reports

@hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    To most - yes - but he has since said it was one of those moments where memories of his dad came to mind. Put the 2 together and emotions takeover. I had that same “double feeling” on 21/5/16, so can understand the sentiment.
    I had the same emotions at the final. SoL belting out with my two young son's (young men) by my side, it was ridiculous and ended up with a sair head that lasted a year! 😂🍺🤣 my Dad was a big Leither,and Hibby, but was one of the many that didn't live to see it.💚💚

He wore it well, a little old fashioned but I don't mind.👍
    Last edited by Leithenhibby; 06-03-2018 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leithenhibby View Post
    I had the same emotions at the final. SoL belting out with my two young son's (young men) by my side, it was ridiculous and ended up with a sair head that lasted a year! 😂🍺🤣 my Dad was a big Leither,and Hibby, but was one of the many that didn't live to see it.💚💚

He wore it well, a little old fashioned but I don't mind.👍
    Although that didn’t happen for me on 21/5/16, I was lucky enough to have that emotional overflow at the 2007 League Cup Final. As it transpired, was my dad’s last Hibs game he attended. He had stopped going a couple of years before due to failing health but made the effort that day. It was his birthday as well. Not only was my old man there but 2 of my sons were also there, so a real rollercoaster of family emotions in March 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    Born in London, Man Utd fan. Hibs-supporting Edinburgh-born Dad, Celtic fan. The glory hunter's glory hunter.

Bet you if he was born 20 years later he'd be a Liverpool and Rangers fan.
    mair faces than the toon clock then?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    I'm sure your info is 100% brog, but the info I had was that it was Strachan's mother who first approached the church to see if they would be willing to conduct the ceremony, due to RS's dads' Leith connection.
    Im sure thats correct also but i think he originally met Gordon in Aberdeen then got to know the family. I think Ricky Simpson was one of Rod's many best men!

I also know Ian quite well and I agree with your assessment of him. Out of interest IH, how do you know him?
    AC Leith- to answer your question my mother goes to his Church (St Andrews and St George on George Street) and I have met him very occasionally when I have 'chummed her.' Always very pleasant and enthusiastic. Don't know if he really is a Hibs fan or not- (he is certainly quite interested and he told me about the Reilly funeral ) but I think cricket is his main sports interest.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Agree, the guy is a phantom.

I’m not having any of this “his passion is real” stuff either. It’s funny how nobody just HAS to support teams like Dundee, Raith Rovers or Doncaster.

He’s as fake as Coolio and can GTF.

On the flip side, I don’t mind his music and that draw was pure rock n roll.
    This

I remember his ‘passion’ for Scotland was real. Not been seen at Hampden for donkeys, well not unless he’s seupporting his new team.

@hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Although that didn’t happen for me on 21/5/16, I was lucky enough to have that emotional overflow at the 2007 League Cup Final. As it transpired, was my dad’s last Hibs game he attended. He had stopped going a couple of years before due to failing health but made the effort that day. It was his birthday as well. Not only was my old man there but 2 of my sons were also there, so a real rollercoaster of family emotions in March 2007.
    Fantastic memories for sure and overflowing emotions that kick in without too much warning. We played SoL at my Dad's funeral long before it was our anthem, a song with so many different emotions for so many different reasons, for so many people around the world. The rollercoaster of life!.. 💚👍

And it hits me right between the eyes every time.
    Last edited by Leithenhibby; 07-03-2018 at 09:12 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Thank heaven for small merricks, eh.

@hibs.net private member Eaststand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Islington Hibs View Post
    AC Leith- to answer your question my mother goes to his Church (St Andrews and St George on George Street) and I have met him very occasionally when I have 'chummed her.' Always very pleasant and enthusiastic. Don't know if he really is a Hibs fan or not- (he is certainly quite interested and he told me about the Reilly funeral ) but I think cricket is his main sports interest.
    Is this the Minister who did Maude MacFarlanes ceremony at Warriston ?
    I remember the Minister who did that service speaking very well about Maude and Hibs, and to prove his credentials, he held up his own Hibs season ticket during his speech.
    It was obviously a sad day, but the Minister helped to raise a wee smile, and I'm sure Maude would have loved that too

GGTTH

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Leithenhibby View Post
    Fantastic memories for sure and overflowing emotions that kick in without too much warning. We played SoL at my Dad's funeral long before it was our anthem, a song with so many different emotions for so many different reasons, for so many people around the world. The rollercoaster of life!.. 💚👍

And it hits me right between the eyes every time.
    Snap. We played SoL at my Dad’s funeral as well in Jan 2008. It was pretty much established as the Hibs anthem by then (CIS final in 2007 being case in point) and was wholly appropriate for Dad’s send off. I’m sure it will have been used a good few times since on these types of occasions.

I am a member of South Leith which is now I know Ian. When he became our minister we had to ask the pertinent question - "which team do you support"!

He said that he grew up in Glasgow on the Rangers side but when quite young he was sickened by the sectarianism so switched to rugby.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaststand View Post
    Is this the Minister who did Maude MacFarlanes ceremony at Warriston ?
    I remember the Minister who did that service speaking very well about Maude and Hibs, and to prove his credentials, he held up his own Hibs season ticket during his speech.
    It was obviously a sad day, but the Minister helped to raise a wee smile, and I'm sure Maude would have loved that too
    GGTTH
    doesn't sound like him see my other post

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I know we are an inclusive club an all that, but so we really want this rocking up to Easter Road...?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Last edited by Peevemor; 07-03-2018 at 11:53 AM.

His appearance doing the Scottish cup draw was the most cringeworthy thing i'd witnessed since Ian Cathro's interview after the Raith cup tie.

I am a member of South Leith which is now I know Ian. When he became our minister we had to ask the pertinent question - "which team do you support"!

He said that he grew up in Glasgow on the Rangers side but when quite young he was sickened by the sectarianism so switched to rugby.
    That tallies for while he was interested in Hibs and more than prepared to be supportive I doubted he was a supporter. Hope South Leith is prospering now he has left.

That tallies for while he was interested in Hibs and more than prepared to be supportive I doubted he was a supporter. Hope South Leith is prospering now he has left.
    We have challenges that face many churches these days but we're working hard to help make a difference in the local community

We have challenges that face many churches these days but we're working hard to help make a difference in the local community
    best wishes

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    A traitor to his Edinburgh roots by being an Ugly sisters glory hunting toss pot and a traitor to his London birthplace by being a Man Utd supporter ... he can stick 'Hibs are my 2nd team right up his Maggie May.

Nae batter than that other glory hunting tosser Seen Canary .... he cant even seem to decide which one of the Ugly sisters tae suck up to, I doubt even the Sheltic shupporters have much time for him.

Give me the late great Ronnie Corbett any time over that two.

Gorgeous post. More please.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Did he wear it well?
    Bravo, an under appreciated contribution to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I know we are an inclusive club an all that, but so we really want this rocking up to Easter Road...?

Nice to see Penny Lancaster turning up with her mum.