hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Testimonial Due

Cricket World Cup Qualifier

The ICC’s cricket World Cup qualifier started today in Zimbabwe. As a result of shortening the size of the tournament, only 10 teams are in the World Cup. These are made up of the top 8 full members and the top 2 from this tournament.

Scotland this morning have hammered newly anointed full members Afghanistan by 7 wickets.

I would think Scotland’s chances of progressing are slim with the Windies, home team Zimbabwe, Ireland, Afghanistan and the Netherlands to beat but they should be expected to finish high enough to maintain ODI status for the next World Cup cycle, this is certainly a great start!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee62 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The ICC’s cricket World Cup qualifier started today in Zimbabwe. As a result of shortening the size of the tournament, only 10 teams are in the World Cup. These are made up of the top 8 full members and the top 2 from this tournament.

Scotland this morning have hammered newly anointed full members Afghanistan by 7 wickets.

I would think Scotland’s chances of progressing are slim with the Windies, home team Zimbabwe, Ireland, Afghanistan and the Netherlands to beat but they should be expected to finish high enough to maintain ODI status for the next World Cup cycle, this is certainly a great start!
    Good performance by Scotland in a group that has a fair amount of strength. It looked like Afghanistan had a bit of a collapse from the middle order downward. Slightly nervy start by Scotland but Berrington and Macleod struck up a hefty partnership to leave the following batsmen a relatively straightforward job.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Good performance by Scotland in a group that has a fair amount of strength. It looked like Afghanistan had a bit of a collapse from the middle order downward. Slightly nervy start by Scotland but Berrington and Macleod struck up a hefty partnership to leave the following batsmen a relatively straightforward job.
    Yeah, Afghanistan lost two set batsman in 2 balls. They had put on a 100-odd partnership at that point. It was a bit of a collapse from then on. An excellent performance from Calum Macleod, Scotland will need him and Coetzer to fire to make an impression beyond getting out the group.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Is it being shown on tv?

United we stand here....

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Is it being shown on tv?
    Not until the latter stages of the groups, I think on sky. The first matches are the Windies v Ireland and Netherlands on the 10th and 12th. Then all but 2 of the super six matches and the final.

Not until the latter stages of the groups, I think on sky. The first matches are the Windies v Ireland and Netherlands on the 10th and 12th. Then all but 2 of the super six matches and the final.
    Cheers.

United we stand here....

Testimonial Due
    In Scotland’s second match this morning thy have bowled Hong Kong out for 91, a heavy win here and they should be all but assured a super 6 place. Results carry forward though so they will still be looking for good results against Nepal and, more importantly, Zimbabwe.

Testimonial Due
    In Scotland’s second match this morning thy have bowled Hong Kong out for 91, a heavy win here and they should be all but assured a super 6 place. Results carry forward though so they will still be looking for good results against Nepal and, more importantly, Zimbabwe.
    They made hard work of it in the end but won by 4 wickets. Some runs for Coetzer is a big positive, that’s the two best batsman scored runs now.

They made hard work of it in the end but won by 4 wickets. Some runs for Coetzer is a big positive, that’s the two best batsman scored runs now.
    I saw they ended up 96/6. Hopefully it was down to being a bit complacent.

United we stand here....

Testimonial Due
    I saw they ended up 96/6. Hopefully it was down to being a bit complacent.
    That and a bit of carelessness trying to up their net run rate I think. In matches like this I’m always inclined to wonder about the pitch too.

Nepal next on Thursday, win that and super 6 is assured along with, probably, odi status. Still not confident they’ll make the World Cup though.

Testimonial Due
    Scotland have bowled Nepal out for 149 this morning and are now 32/0 of 9 chasing 150. Hopefully they’ll approach this one a bit more carefully to make sure they get over the line unscathed.

Testimonial Due
    Scotland have bowled Nepal out for 149 this morning and are now 32/0 of 9 chasing 150. Hopefully they’ll approach this one a bit more carefully to make sure they get over the line unscathed.
    Did their best to mess it up again but scotland win by 4 wickets, securing a place in the super 6s and probably odi status as well. Coetzer with more than half the runs.

Testimonial Due
    Scotland have bowled Zimbabwe out for 210 this morning, great chance to take 4 points into the super 6s but I think this might be a close one.

Win this and I might start to believe they can qualify for the World Cup...

Testimonial Due
    Scotland have bowled Zimbabwe out for 210 this morning, great chance to take 4 points into the super 6s but I think this might be a close one.

Win this and I might start to believe they can qualify for the World Cup...
    The game has ended in a tie, scotland all out for 210 with 5 balls left. I don’t know what that means for qualification, except that Scotland start the super 6s with 3 points and in joint second place... 3rd on net run rate.

The game has ended in a tie, scotland all out for 210 with 5 balls left. I don’t know what that means for qualification, except that Scotland start the super 6s with 3 points and in joint second place... 3rd on net run rate.
    I was watching the windies game earlier when they announced the Scotland score. Unusual for there to be a draw at the cricket.

United we stand here....

Testimonial Due
    I was watching the windies game earlier when they announced the Scotland score. Unusual for there to be a draw at the cricket.
    Very unusual. It seems to have confused the icc too who tweeted earlier that all ties in the super 6 stage would go to a super over, then retracted it. I wouldn’t expect anything less though, their coverage of this tournament has been very poor.

Testimonial Due
    First match of the super 6 is today, and Scotland have set the UAE 323 to win, they are currently 98/5 off 16 overs.

A big win would be good here as they have Ireland and the Windies to come. Winning one of those games and a high net run rate may be enough to make the World Cup.

Testimonial Due
    First match of the super 6 is today, and Scotland have set the UAE 323 to win, they are currently 98/5 off 16 overs.

A big win would be good here as they have Ireland and the Windies to come. Winning one of those games and a high net run rate may be enough to make the World Cup.
    Scotland won by 73 runs in the end and are top of the table with 2 games to go, against Ireland and the Windies. The Windies lost to Afghanistan today so things are getting a bit tight.

Testimonial Due
    Scotland are 111-2 chasing Ireland’s 271 on Sky sports just now if anyone is interested.

Scotland are 132-6. Poor response last half hour.
    Cougars!!!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    Scotland are 132-6. Poor response last half hour.
    Yep, really poor in the middle overs. Some shots were just beyond belief. If they can hang in there though, Berrington is capable of the required fireworks in the final 10.

Testimonial Due
    Berrington gone just as he was trying to go for it, that will pretty much be that I think....

Scotland get Gayle out with the first ball. Decent start.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Sharif is on fire. Hope out.

Testimonial Due
    Just clicked on to cricinfo at the bus stop, that’s a pleasant surprise. Winner takes all in this game.

Testimonial Due
    Not going so well now, badly need a couple of wickets...

Testimonial Due
    The target is 199, which is very achievable. 10/1 off 3 so far.

Oh dear, 12-2. A disastrous start .

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    This is getting a bit tense.

Testimonial Due
    Off for rain and 5 runs behind the par score. Had they not lost a dodgy wicket a few balls ago they’d have been 3 runs ahead. Any reduction in overs is likely to aid Scotland due to the low score but cricinfo still seems hopeful of a full game.