hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33

Thread: The Oscars

  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    11,764
    Blog Entries
    4

    The Oscars

    Really, WGAF?


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Coaching Staff lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    12,184
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really, WGAF?
    I couldn’t agree more. I’d rather watch paint dry.

  4. #3
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,570
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really, WGAF?
    Utterly at one with you on this. The vastly over paid, being vastly over watched by the vastly over awed.

  5. #4
    Testimonial Due Glory Lurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miles from in the know
    Posts
    2,386
    Yup. Garbage.

  6. #5
    Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    5,997
    I'm a film teacher and my colleagues often ask me "which film do you think will win? Or "what did you think of it this year?"

    My answer ranges from "Didn't watch it" to "Not interested" to "No idea and couldn't care less". They are always surprised.

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    33,768
    I don't mind the Oscars. I know it's largely an irrelevance, but, although I often disagree with the choices, I'm always interested in who wins what.

    So, for those of you who are interested, here are the main nominees;

    (My guess is asterisked.)

    Best Picture:

    “Call Me by Your Name”
    “Darkest Hour”
    “Dunkirk”
    “Get Out”
    “Lady Bird”
    “Phantom Thread”
    “The Post”
    “The Shape of Water”;*
    “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

    Lead Actor:

    Timothée Chalamet, “Call Me by Your Name” *
    Daniel Day-Lewis, “Phantom Thread”
    Daniel Kaluuya, “Get Out”
    Gary Oldman, “Darkest Hour”
    Denzel Washington, “Roman J. Israel, Esq.”


    Lead Actress:

    Sally Hawkins, “The Shape of Water” *
    Frances McDormand, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
    Margot Robbie, “I, Tonya”
    Saoirse Ronan, “Lady Bird”
    Meryl Streep, “The Post”

    Supporting Actor:

    Willem Dafoe, “The Florida Project”
    Woody Harrelson, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
    Richard Jenkins, “The Shape of Water”
    Christopher Plummer, “All the Money in the World”
    Sam Rockwell, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” *

    Supporting Actress:

    Mary J. Blige, “Mudbound”
    Allison Janney, “I, Tonya”
    Lesley Manville, “Phantom Thread”
    Laurie Metcalf, “Lady Bird”
    Octavia Spencer, “The Shape of Water” *


    Director:

    “Dunkirk,” Christopher Nolan
    “Get Out,” Jordan Peele
    “Lady Bird,” Greta Gerwig
    “Phantom Thread,” Paul Thomas Anderson
    “The Shape of Water,” Guillermo del Toro *

    I've been wrong before 😁
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    11,764
    Blog Entries
    4
    Lets's have an award thread for the most irrelevant awards show.
    My nominees are....
    The Oscars
    The Grammies
    The Baftas
    The Emmys
    The Soaps <------my tip to win


    Feel free to add your choice to the nominees

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    33,768
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lets's have an award thread for the most irrelevant awards show.
    My nominees are....
    The Oscars
    The Grammies
    The Baftas
    The Emmys
    The Soaps <------my tip to win


    Feel free to add your choice to the nominees
    All award shows are irrelevant.

    Just like manager of the month or player of the year.

    They're important to the people who they're important to.

    Slagging them off is irrelevant too.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm a film teacher and my colleagues often ask me "which film do you think will win? Or "what did you think of it this year?"

    My answer ranges from "Didn't watch it" to "Not interested" to "No idea and couldn't care less". They are always surprised.
    Go for and obscure best foreign film from Chad

    I prefer non-English speaking films in the main as thy don’t usually have to conform to the usual formulaic and pressures of Blockbuster films. Although sometimes countries find a bit of a niche and punt out what is expected of them - stories of shocking violence that didn’t end well emerged from Brasil for a while.
    Last edited by VivaPalmeiras; 05-03-2018 at 06:46 AM.

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    33,768
    3 out of 6.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  12. #11
    Testimonial Due Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Falkirk
    Posts
    3,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3 out of 6.
    I was expecting Frances McDormand and Alison Janney to get theirs. That is without having seen Shape of Water though.

    Surprised Gary Oldman got the nod. Not that he didn't do a decent turn but 'best'?

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    33,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was expecting Frances McDormand and Alison Janney to get theirs. That is without having seen Shape of Water though.

    Surprised Gary Oldman got the nod. Not that he didn't do a decent turn but 'best'?
    I nearly chose Frances McDormand because she was excellent, but I'm surprised that Janney won. Like your reservation with Oldman, I thought she was very good, but Oscar good?

  14. #13
    Testimonial Due EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I nearly chose Frances McDormand because she was excellent, but I'm surprised that Janney won. Like your reservation with Oldman, I thought she was very good, but Oscar good?
    I sometimes think they go by how much the person looks like the person they are portraying sometimes, I did think she was good though. Could be the same with Gary Oldman, I've not seen Darkest Hour.

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    11,764
    Blog Entries
    4
    "Frances McDormand won best actress for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, and persuaded every female nominee to stand with her in a night full of statements about inclusion."

    Brilliant! Make a statement about inclusion and only invite the female nominees to join her.
    Oh the irony.

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    33,768
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Frances McDormand won best actress for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, and persuaded every female nominee to stand with her in a night full of statements about inclusion."

    Brilliant! Make a statement about inclusion and only invite the female nominees to join her.
    Oh the irony.
    Were there many male nominees for best actress?
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 05-03-2018 at 04:32 PM.

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    33,768
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I sometimes think they go by how much the person looks like the person they are portraying sometimes, I did think she was good though. Could be the same with Gary Oldman, I've not seen Darkest Hour.
    Oldman was very good. The film is worth seeing although the last 15 minutes might grate a bit.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    21,095
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Frances McDormand won best actress for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, and persuaded every female nominee to stand with her in a night full of statements about inclusion."

    Brilliant! Make a statement about inclusion and only invite the female nominees to join her.
    Oh the irony.
    She didn't make the statement about inclusion. That was the writer's addition.

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    11,764
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    She didn't make the statement about inclusion. That was the writer's addition.
    Fair enough - but it was a wee bit rich asking only the female nominees to stand up.

    Maybe she's left the male nominees with a guilt complex, feeling they are partially to blame for all the shenanigans of what this is all about?

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    11,764
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Were there many male nominees for best actress?
    In Hollywood, anything's possible.

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    21,095
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair enough - but it was a wee bit rich asking only the female nominees to stand up.

    Maybe she's left the male nominees with a guilt complex, feeling they are partially to blame for all the shenanigans of what this is all about?
    What shenanigans? It was nothing to do with the MeToo campaign.

    This is what she actually said:-

    "Look around, ladies and gentlemen, because we all have stories to tell and projects we need financed," she said.

    "Don't talk to us about it at the parties tonight - invite us into your office in a couple of days, or you can come to ours, whatever suits you best - and we'll tell you all about them."


    It was about equality, which is a fair point IMO.

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    33,768
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair enough - but it was a wee bit rich asking only the female nominees to stand up.

    Maybe she's left the male nominees with a guilt complex, feeling they are partially to blame for all the shenanigans of what this is all about?
    I don't know if you're joking or not, but there were no male nominees.

    She invited all her fellow best actress nominees to join her.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    21,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know if you're joking or not, but there were no male nominees.

    She invited all her fellow best actress nominees to join her.
    It was actually all female nominees in the room.... from all categories.

    Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

  24. #23
    Coaching Staff Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    "Galactidos!"
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,193
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    She didn't make the statement about inclusion. That was the writer's addition.
    But she did make a statement about inclusion.

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    21,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But she did make a statement about inclusion.
    Yep she did. A decent one, IMO...

    ....once I Googled just WTF an "inclusion rider" is.

    Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

  26. #25
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    33,768
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was actually all female nominees in the room.... from all categories.

    Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    Right. I didn't realise that.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    11,764
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know if you're joking or not, but there were no male nominees.

    She invited all her fellow best actress nominees to join her.

    Okay, but this is what I read ...
    "Frances McDormand won best actress for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, and persuaded every female nominee to stand with her in a night full of statements about inclusion".
    If what you say is accurate, then the reporter (IMO) should have written "...ever nominee for best female actress to stand..." If that is what she meant then I apologise however, CWG, seems to believe that it was to ALL female nominees in all categories. If that is the case, my original point stands.
    I'm not twisting my knickers (metaphorically speaking, I should add ) over this anymore. I'm not into glitz and all the BS that's goes with it. Each to his/her own though.
    Last edited by snooky; 05-03-2018 at 06:22 PM.

  28. #27
    Coaching Staff Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    "Galactidos!"
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,193
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep she did. A decent one, IMO...

    ....once I Googled just WTF an "inclusion rider" is.

    Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    You, me and 50 million other people. :-)

  29. #28
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    21,095
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay, but this is what I read ...
    "Frances McDormand won best actress for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, and persuaded every female nominee to stand with her in a night full of statements about inclusion".
    If what you say is accurate, then the reporter (IMO) should have written "...ever nominee for best female actress to stand..." If that is what she meant then I apologise however, CWG, seems to believe that it was to ALL female nominees in all categories. If that is the case, my original point stands.
    I'm not twisting my knickers (metaphorically speaking, I should add ) over this anymore. I'm not into glitz and all the BS that's goes with it. Each to his/her own though.
    I think you have to watch the speech, rather than read the reports, to see what was said, and to get its context and meaning.



    Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Age
    36
    Posts
    20,045
    I like to see who won and who was nominated as the associated movies are usually a good watch, but I cannot stand the speeches and self-congratulatory nonsense that goes with it. It's even worse now with the various campaigns about things that seem to be involved every year and how self-important these actors come across when they're speaking about such things.

    Would never sit and watch the ceremony.

  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    6,514
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Utterly at one with you on this. The vastly over paid, being vastly over watched by the vastly over awed.
    Is this another thread about Hearts?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved