hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Testimonial Due
    1st, where is the money for VAR coming from?
    2nd, if 90 pecent of Scotland supports the old firm, who is going to be the VAR referee?
    At the moment, we have been subject to some very dodgy decisions, do you honestly think by looking at a monitor is going to change anything?
    Think back, an Arsenal player was deemed to have dived for a penalty against Celtic, after looking at the video the player was brought down by a puff of wing in the Celtic players shirt????
    Just yesterday, Celtic get a penalty when clearly it was outside the box, the pundit said it was a penalty and even after the commentator said it was outside the box the pundit said it again that it was a definite penalty???
    So for my way of thinking nothing will change, and it would be a total waste of money we can ill afford to spend!!!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Scottish Premiership could start with goal-line technology. Hibs have lost three points to Hearts on this issue in 2017-18 and also a a similar loss a few years back. That involves no delays or disruption.
    Aye. Start and finish with goalline technology. Was it a goal or no? Never mind the rest of it.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Aye. Start and finish with goalline technology. Was it a goal or no? Never mind the rest of it.
    Just had a quick look on line for price of installing goal line technology, it says per stadium $260,000 and $3,900 for each game.

The Uglies could get it tomorrow, the rest of us would just have to dream, some clubs could not afford $3,900 per game fee never mind installing it to use!!!!!

The article says that the IFA board, which governs the rules of football, has approved VAR as an option in all FIFA recognised competition. It doesn’t say it will be used in Scotland any time soon.

Due to historical anomaly, the 4 British associations have permanent seats on the IFA board, hence the confusion.

I think for VAR to work, the ref on the park still has to be the one calling the shots. If they they couldn't tell something specific, they can have it verified by asking the question. "Did the ball cross the line?", "Did his hand move toward the ball?", "Was it played forward by the attacker?" Etc.

None of the rugby nonsense of "is there any reason I can't give the try/goal?".

Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    I think for VAR to work, the ref on the park still has to be the one calling the shots. If they they couldn't tell something specific, they can have it verified by asking the question. "Did the ball cross the line?", "Did his hand move toward the ball?", "Was it played forward by the attacker?" Etc.

You just know they'll be asking "Do you think I can get away with not awarding a penalty against The Rangers?"

Don’t think it is nonsense.The ref says what he’s doing and asks if there’s any reason for not doing it or he asks a specific question regarding a passage of play.The big difference with rugby is that this takes place when the game is stopped.You can’t have someone trying to award a penalty when the game is going on.Anyway it won’t happen here because there’s no money to do it and some of the grounds don’t have the facilities for varied camera angles.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Don’t think it is nonsense.The ref says what he’s doing and asks if there’s any reason for not doing it or he asks a specific question regarding a passage of play.The big difference with rugby is that this takes place when the game is stopped.You can’t have someone trying to award a penalty when the game is going on.Anyway it won’t happen here because there’s no money to do it and some of the grounds don’t have the facilities for varied camera angles.
    Fair enough, it works in rugby, but it would be a nonsense in football. If the question was is there any reason I can't award a goal, there would be some debatable occurrence in the lead up to about 90% of goals. Football is too subjective.

Fair enough, it works in rugby, but it would be a nonsense in football. If the question was is there any reason I can't award a goal, there would be some debatable occurrence in the lead up to about 90% of goals. Football is too subjective.
    It's the same in rugby as they can only go back two phases.

Football should take a leaf from cricket. Use it only for matters of fact and if there is any dubiety then the referee's original call stands. Put a time limit of one minute on the review as well. If they can't find any clear and obvious in that time then it can't be clear and obvious.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.