hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think most folk have an empathetic side to their nature and don't like to see unnecessary suffering anywhere, irrespective of nationality.
    I think that is a thing of the past. The refugee crisis has shown that charity begins at home and ends at the front door.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I think that is a thing of the past. The refugee crisis has shown that charity begins at home and ends at the front door.
    I don't know.

I cling to the hope that the majority of people are still decent.

Yes, there are many people who couldn't care less about foreigners etc.

But I still (just about) think that the majority do care about others.

The minority don't half make a racket though.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    The whole gun situation in America shows how mad the world has become. Itís mirrored in other countries around the world in different ways. Itís not whatís best for everyone, itís whatís politically acceptable to get a particular party or candidate re elected. If everyone concentrated on whatís best for the greater good of their country we wouldnít be having this debate. The simple fact is that as a species weíve evolved into a mindset that as long as Iím alright everyone else can **** off. We have corruption in some countries, we have politicians preying on the fears and vulnerability of citizens in other countries and all this happens while living standards decrease along with life expectancy.
    The so called G7 countries are largely the worst offenders in all this. Iím sure Iím not alone in thinking that must be a better way to do things.

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I don't know.

I cling to the hope that the majority of people are still decent.

Yes, there are many people who couldn't care less about foreigners etc.

But I still (just about) think that the majority do care about others.

The minority don't half make a racket though.
    I used to think people were decent, and empathetic, until I saw a programme about this: https://www.simplypsychology.org/milgram.html.

Basically, the majority of people are not too interested in anything but themselves, and will do whatever works for them, providing they can get somebody else to take responsibility for their actions.

In the experiment, 75% of participants were prepared to administer a lethal electric shock to someone who was failing a knowledge test, providing the person running the experiment said that they would take responsibility.

When the experiment was designed, the assumption was that at most 25% would do it and that most of them would be psychopaths. Worth watching the videos to see how little empathy, or concern the subjects had for the person about to "die", and how their concern was whether they personally would get in trouble.

Amusing way to write economic migrant.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Amusing way to write economic migrant.
    I rest my case.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    6 dead in targeted shootings today

"This is the new normal, if you look across the country," he said, describing the incident as a mass shooting.
    "Six people lost their lives in a very short period of time."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45505610
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Every single week theres a news story of a school or shopping mall or whatever being shot up by some lunatic in America. Bairns being gunned down and murdered in their class rooms - how much worse does it actually have to get before some Americans wake up and see what you'd think would be blatantly obvious to see - GUNS ARE NOT SAFE! It's astonishing that for a lot of Americans the penny still hasn't dropped.

Another shooting in the US and President Trump says "If they had protection inside, the results would have been far better"

He turns every atrocity into a rallying call for the NRA.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46002549

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Another shooting in the US and President Trump says "If they had protection inside, the results would have been far better"

He ignores the fact armed cops were shot too......not a mention of the victims or their families...disgrace, but not surprising

I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post

Not only that but he also used today's events to turn up the rhetoric in favour of the death penalty.

Completely ignoring the elephant in the room - gun control.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    https://edition.cnn.com/us/live-news...ntl/index.html

Another mass shooting, this time in Thousand Oaks, CA.

I won't bother with the "how many people have to die", because the answer doesn't matter - they. will. not. disarm.

This one hits home a little - Thousand Oaks is a small college town, just north of Malibu. I live and work for large parts of the year in a small California college town (while the University is massive, the town is pretty small), and this could easily have been there. As the Mayor of Thousand Oaks says, this can really happen anywhere. And yet they don't see the problem with that in their halls of power.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post

I won't bother with the "how many people have to die", because the answer doesn't matter - they. will. not. disarm.

This one hits home a little - Thousand Oaks is a small college town, just north of Malibu. I live and work for large parts of the year in a small California college town (while the University is massive, the town is pretty small), and this could easily have been there. As the Mayor of Thousand Oaks says, this can really happen anywhere. And yet they don't see the problem with that in their halls of power.
    We had a drive by shooting in the village where I live on Tuesday night after an argument between 2 parties. 3 injured and one of them severely. The only reason that the casualty count is so low is because the shooter could only get his hands on a shotgun. God knows what the outcome would have been if the guy had access to semiautomatic/automatic weapons. There's nutters all over the world and America is no different, except their nutters have almost unlimited access to a whole arsenal of military grade weaponry.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post

I lived in Ventura County for 11 years and went to that popular country music restaurant about 10 years ago. Thousand Oaks is a really quiet town with hardly any crime so this shooting will be a devastating shock.

Local nutters here are more of a threat than terrorists. I was walking somewhere recently and a kids balloon popped and few people started running for cover.

Democrats will be saying we should have more gun control and republicans will be saying everyone in the bar should have carried a concealed weapon.

What fascinates me is why are so many Americans going berserk on their own people? Is it because everyone is brought up to think the individual is the most important? Everyone is special and gets a trophy? Everyone is a winner and nobody is a loser? Is it the psych meds?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    I lived in Ventura County for 11 years and went to that popular country music restaurant about 10 years ago. Thousand Oaks is a really quiet town with hardly any crime so this shooting will be a devastating shock.

Local nutters here are more of a threat than terrorists. I was walking somewhere recently and a kids balloon popped and few people started running for cover.

Democrats will be saying we should have more gun control and republicans will be saying everyone in the bar should have carried a concealed weapon.

What fascinates me is why are so many Americans going berserk on their own people? Is it because everyone is brought up to think the individual is the most important? Everyone is special and gets a trophy? Everyone is a winner and nobody is a loser? Is it the psych meds?
    I don't think Americans are any nuttier than any other western nation. It's the access to guns that makes their particular crackpots more dangerous. If we had the same access to guns as them, then I'm sure we'd have a similar death rate per head.

I don't think Americans are any nuttier than any other western nation. It's the access to guns that makes their particular crackpots more dangerous. If we had the same access to guns as them, then I'm sure we'd have a similar death rate per head.
    Even the most extreme gun control advocate can't explain the rate of mass shootings tripling since 2011.

This chart is scary and does not correlate with total number of guns.

20150808_woc359_4.jpg

We had a drive by shooting in the village where I live on Tuesday night after an argument between 2 parties. 3 injured and one of them severely. The only reason that the casualty count is so low is because the shooter could only get his hands on a shotgun. God knows what the outcome would have been if the guy had access to semiautomatic/automatic weapons. There's nutters all over the world and America is no different, except their nutters have almost unlimited access to a whole arsenal of military grade weaponry.
    Some radge here stabbed 3 folk in The Grassmarket this morning, dafties everywhere! 😥

When we had guns available in the UK did we have high gun deaths?

Genuine question.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    When we had guns available in the UK did we have high gun deaths?

Genuine question.
    We've never had guns so freely available as they do in the US. Some estimates claim that there are 2 guns for every American in circulation.

We've never had guns so freely available as they do in the US. Some estimates claim that there are 2 guns for every American in circulation.
    I was only 11 when the ban came in but I remember my uncle had loads of handguns, maybe he had to go through a lot of checks I don't know.

This is quite horrible and visually gives the scope of gun violence in America.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...idents-us-2018

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    300 million guns in America and the NRA is very powerful, giving a lot of money to politicians, particualrly Republicans. Serious restrictions to gun access just aren't on the agenda, sadly. Millions of Americans, especially on the right, have a simplistic idea that guns equates to liberty and that a government which restricts guns is a tyranny. It's a peculiarly American idea.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    300 million guns in America and the NRA is very powerful, giving a lot of money to politicians, particualrly Republicans. Serious restrictions to gun access just aren't on the agenda, sadly. Millions of Americans, especially on the right, have a simplistic idea that guns equates to liberty and that a government which restricts guns is a tyranny. It's a peculiarly American idea.
    I get that nobody having guns would make things safer - it does in the UK for sure. It is deeply in the history of this country and I think you are dead right it won't change soon.

However, a Marine just shot young women among the other innocent victims and Marines don't shoot women and children. They have honor and code and they fight the enemy not innocents. How does a former Marine shoot young women?

There is a lot else rotten about this other than just the availability of a weapon. The mind that chose to shoot that gun is one that seems to be multiplying in number. Psychotic individuals who get bent out of shape and feel like they need to take people down with them are on the increase.

To add to the misery, fires are encroaching upon the area and the locals must feel like Hell has come upon them.

I'm driving up there in the morning to donate to the fallen officer's family - I lived 7 years in Camarillo, about 15 mins drive from that bar. He was a local small town policeman who ran bravely into that bar to face a psycho battle hardened combat veteran. He left a wife and child. RIP

I just wish the sick f**** who are upset with their lives would shoot themselves before anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    I was only 11 when the ban came in but I remember my uncle had loads of handguns, maybe he had to go through a lot of checks I don't know.
    That and you couldn't just pop into ASDA and buy a semiautomatic with your bread and milk.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    https://twitter.com/NRA/status/1060256567914909702

Today in Tweets I wish were spoofs...