hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tide turning against the US National Rifles Association

Good to see that pressure is building up against the NRA. It's good to see some companies starting to take a stance against this organisation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43268446

When I hear anything from the NRA, I'm lost for words. How gullible are the American public to believe all the ridiculous claims? I was speaking to an American couple yesterday and they stated that at a recent mass shooting at a cinema, there was a number of citizens in the room who had 'hidden from view' guns with them. Yet, not one of them decided to use them to protect their fellow citizens being gunned down. The same will happen anywhere else, they'll use them to protect themselves but not to protect others and cause themselves to be a target for the gunman/gunmen.

Also, can you imagine you using your gun to try and take out a gunman and the police arrive with their guns - who do they decide is the 'good guy' or the 'bad guy'.

Wake up America!!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good to see that pressure is building up against the NRA. It's good to see some companies starting to take a stance against this organisation.

When I hear anything from the NRA, I'm lost for words. How gullible are the American public to believe all the ridiculous claims? I was speaking to an American couple yesterday and they stated that at a recent mass shooting at a cinema, there was a number of citizens in the room who had 'hidden from view' guns with them. Yet, not one of them decided to use them to protect their fellow citizens being gunned down. The same will happen anywhere else, they'll use them to protect themselves but not to protect others and cause themselves to be a target for the gunman/gunmen.

Also, can you imagine you using your gun to try and take out a gunman and the police arrive with their guns - who do they decide is the 'good guy' or the 'bad guy'.

Wake up America!!!
    I've said this before, when you have a country with the mentality of Charlton Heston who blamed the Colombine Massacre on the manufacturers of long coats (for allowing gunmen to hide their guns), then you have a major problem.
    God bless America ... and save her while you're at it.

Wake up America!!!
    About bloody time

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    About bloody time
    Hold on there a minute, pardner!

https://stv.tv/news/international/14...allow-teacher/

"When will they ever learn, when will they ever learn"

Mass student-led protests calling for tighter gun control are under way across the United States.

The protests - under the banner March For Our Lives - have grown out of a movement calling for change after 17 people were killed by a gunman at a high school in Florida last month.

Half a million people are expected to descend on the biggest march in Washington DC.

More than 800 sister protests are planned nationwide and abroad.

Solidarity marches have taken place in London, Edinburgh, Geneva, Sydney and Tokyo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43526413

Please watch the Dunblane video, USA - powerful message. Let's hope the American's listen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-43385518

Please watch the Dunblane video, USA - powerful message. Let's hope the American's listen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-43385518
    Never Again!!

March For Our Lives!!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I was very fortunate today to be a part of the MFOL march in San Francisco.

Was around 60-75k people marching from the Civic Center along Market Street to Embarcadero - listening to the speeches some of these children were giving, including current students from Parkland, was absolutely humbling and uplifting in equal measures.

I've just seen aerial footage of the protest in DC, amazing numbers, must be not far off a million people.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Unfortunately there are videos like this, and of random acts of brutality and violence, doing the rounds on social media, via cctv and dashboard cams, increasingly regularly these days, and the police involved never seem to be held to account. It'll be interesting to see what happens to the officer concerned in that case.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    The US is an absolute nut house.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    The US is an absolute nut house.
    While I've little argument, I do not see the connection between the thread and the story you've quoted.

The NRA are sqrt(****all) to do with police firearm related incidents. Hell, if the disturbing events in Houston are suitable, why wasn't there a post about the abhorrent police shooting of a young man in Sacramento? He was shot 20-odd times in his grandmother's back yard whilst holding a mobile phone in his hand...

I've no doubt that there are multiple awful shootings that are police related in the US, but this doesn't square against the mass uprising against the NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    While I've little argument, I do not see the connection between the thread and the story you've quoted.

The NRA are sqrt(****all) to do with police firearm related incidents. Hell, if the disturbing events in Houston are suitable, why wasn't there a post about the abhorrent police shooting of a young man in Sacramento? He was shot 20-odd times in his grandmother's back yard whilst holding a mobile phone in his hand...

I've no doubt that there are multiple awful shootings that are police related in the US, but this doesn't square against the mass uprising against the NRA.
    I would say there's a reasonable link between the stories.

What happens when you have guns everywhere? You have school shootings, assault rifles in the hands of nutters, and police shooting folk who clearly need help rather than needing to be killed.

This type of bizarre incident passes off every 5 minutes on Leith Walk. In America a man loses his life.

Whilst I don't think Americans themselves are yet ready to have weapons taken off the police, there is a common denominator here - guns, guns, guns.

That's something you'll have to take up with the guy that posted the link.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

It's not a direct connection, I accept, but it's just another symptom of the gun culture in the USA.

If the police officer had felt threatened by an unarmed man with his trousers at his ankles, there were several options open to him.

He could have got his Mace spray out. I've seen police in this country using it. It's very effective.

He could have threatened the semi naked bloke with his nightstick. Sore, but not life threatening.

His taser would have been a bit excessive in the circumstances, but hey, the guy could have been wielding a military grade erection. We should be told.

But no, he shot the poor guy twice in the chest to kill him.

There's a huge link between behaviour like this and the gun control Libby, imo.

Gamer IDs

It's not a direct connection, I accept, but it's just another symptom of the gun culture in the USA.

If the police officer had felt threatened by an unarmed man with his trousers at his ankles, there were several options open to him.

He could have got his Mace spray out. I've seen police in this country using it. It's very effective.

He could have threatened the semi naked bloke with his nightstick. Sore, but not life threatening.

His taser would have been a bit excessive in the circumstances, but hey, the guy could have been wielding a military grade erection. We should be told.

But no, he shot the poor guy twice in the chest to kill him.

There's a huge link between behaviour like this and the gun control Libby, imo.
    I just see them as 2 completely separate issues, personally. One is the access and lack of restrictions and checks to the public obtaining firearms, whilst one is the militarisation of the US police force.

I don't disagree with you that the general gun culture here is absurb, and unfathomable. The case you sight in particular is especially tragic. His waist and hands were both visible - he clearly wasn't armed. How much of a coward is the officer that he didn't use one of the other options you clearly identify?

But to me, that's not indicative of the issues the uprising against the NRA are based upon.

I just see them as 2 completely separate issues, personally. One is the access and lack of restrictions and checks to the public obtaining firearms, whilst one is the militarisation of the US police force.

I don't disagree with you that the general gun culture here is absurb, and unfathomable. The case you sight in particular is especially tragic. His waist and hands were both visible - he clearly wasn't armed. How much of a coward is the officer that he didn't use one of the other options you clearly identify?

But to me, that's not indicative of the issues the uprising against the NRA are based upon.
    For me the relationship is quite straightforward, the NRA want as few or no restrictions on weapons sales and at this they've been immensely successful. This means that there are millions of guns out there in circulation and means the police have to assume people are armed and as a consequence of that and poor training, incidents like this are bound to happen.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    For me the relationship is quite straightforward, the NRA want as few or no restrictions on weapons sales and at this they've been immensely successful. This means that there are millions of guns out there in circulation and means the police have to assume people are armed and as a consequence of that and poor training, incidents like this are bound to happen.
    Correct. Our Police get into a pagger, worst case scenario a broken jaw.
    In America they almost assume they will be shot and die. That conditioning is because of the amount of guns in circulation.

Itís why a crazy eyed nutter gets killed in America, but restrained and arrested in the U.K.

J

Another bizarre shooting incident in the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43855097

A nude gunman has killed four people at a Waffle House in Nashville in the US state of Tennessee.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    It's safer to live in New York than London.

Another school shooting in the US.

Up to eight people have been reported dead in a shooting at a Texas high school, which is on lockdown. One person is in custody after the attack at Santa Fe High School.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44173954

Blog Entries
    The American dream? The American nightmare more like.

Aye but if all the good guys had guns then the bad guys would be dead on the floor eh?

These people are ****ing morons.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Another shooting in a school.Number of students dead

Quote Originally Posted by BBC website

Shortly after the shooting began in the town of about 13,000 residents, a man carrying an American flag, wearing a Trump hat, and carrying a pistol on his hip approached news cameras.

The man, who did not give his name, said his goal was to "get to the school. Make America great again."

Another man then told reporters "we need prayers".

"This idiot is walking down the street with a damned pistol on his side where we just had kids get shot," he said referring to the other man.

"I'm a guns rights person. I have guns. But this idiot is walking down here and saying he needs to make America great again. That's not what America needs."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44173954

Another school shooting in America

At least 10 shot dead in a school in Texas.

Que a week or so of "Time to change guns laws" etc etc only for yet nothing to be done. When will the penny drop for a lot of Americans?! Until they change their gun laws then sadly these incidents will continue to be common.

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    At least 10 shot dead in a school in Texas.

Que a week or so of "Time to change guns laws" etc etc only for yet nothing to be done. When will the penny drop for a lot of Americans?! Until they change their gun laws then sadly these incidents will continue to be common.
    I'm pretty disappointed at myself for not giving a ****. But at some point you just have to accept that the Americans love their guns more than they love their children and there's nothing we can do about it.