hibs.net Messageboard

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

Hibs' traditional 2nd half of season slump

As we recall from a few years ago, in our "top six" seasons (i.e. seasons where we performed well) we've always started exceptionally well and then spectacularly ran out of steam near the end. I decided to test this theory out by comparing the first and last nineteen fixtures of all our last 10 Premiership seasons:

2013-14: 1.26 / 0.58 (11th)
    2012-13: 1.47 / 1.21 (7th)
    2011-12: 0.74 / 1.00 (11th)
    2010-11: 0.84 / 1.11 (10th)
    2009-10: 1.74 / 1.11 (4th)
    2008-09: 1.37 / 1.11 (6th)
    2007-08: 1.47 / 1.26 (6th)
    2006-07: 1.37 / 1.21 (6th)
    2005-06: 1.95 / 1.00 (4th)
    2004-05: 1.74 / 1.47 (3rd)

As you'll see, in almost every season we had a lower average number of points in the last 19 fixtures, bar some bottom 3 seasons when we were fighting relegation. Every single top six finish has resulted in a lower points tally in the second half of the season - most barring 04-05 are comparable to bottom six tallies.

I feel a real test of Lennon's capability as manager is if he was to buck this trend. We're almost certain to finish top six this season, so if he improves on our tally and takes us into/maintains a European spot (Scottish Cup winner permitting) I think he'll have done exceptionally well. This is another mentality problem we've had for years. So far, our averages are:

2017-18: 1.58 / 2.00

That's an exceptional tally - our first half points tally is the highest since 09-10 and after nine games in the second half we have averaged 2 points per game - and this is after playing every other team in the top six. We still have to play all of them again (and Hearts probably twice) but barring a massive slump we're looking on course to do very well.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Great stats. Lennon undoubtedly the catalyst.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Worth remembering that in the seasons we finished top 6 our final 5 matches are against other teams in the top six. That on paper means that 27 per cent more of the last 19 games are played against top six sides as opposed to finishing bottom 6 and playing more games against poorer opposition.Quite a significant difference to take into account when comparing half seasons
    Last edited by Leith Green; 03-03-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Worth remembering that in the seasons we finished top 6 our final 5 matches are against other teams in the top six. That on paper means that 27 per cent more of the last 19 games are played against top six sides as opposed to finishing bottom 6 and playing more games against poorer opposition.Quite a significant difference to take into account when comparing half seasons
    Makes you realise even more just how awful The Butcher stats are as his last 5 games are bottom 6 😪

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    The run we’ve just been on has been exceptional, Scottish Cup tie excepted (and that was a tight game).

Given the number of points we dropped early in the season, I hoped this would be a traditional Hibs campaign in reverse. So far, so good.

It's been cancelled this season 👍🇳🇬

Left by mutual consent!
    I remember the season under Mowbray when we finished 3rd we went into the split with a 5 point cushion over the sheepcand got 3rd by a goal.

Under Lennon given our performances against the other big teams I'm confident we'll finish above them come the end of the season.

We haven’t had Neil Lennon before!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    We haven’t had Neil Lennon before!

Indeed,lets see if he can continue and break the mold.

The second half season slump is an old ,very bad habit which will be great to see ripped up .

Keep going and finish with a flourish.
    It applies to football too.

Slump

Quote Originally Posted by hhibs View Post
    Indeed,lets see if he can continue and break the mold.

The second half season slump is an old ,very bad habit which will be great to see ripped up .

From my memory of supporting Hibs, which is over 50 years, this has always been our way. Probably part of the reason our Scottish Cup history is so appalling.

Quote Originally Posted by highland hibbee View Post
    From my memory of supporting Hibs, which is over 50 years, this has always been our way. Probably part of the reason our Scottish Cup history is so appalling.
    ...WAS so appaling

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    As we recall from a few years ago, in our "top six" seasons (i.e. seasons where we performed well) we've always started exceptionally well and then spectacularly ran out of steam near the end. I decided to test this theory out by comparing the first and last nineteen fixtures of all our last 10 Premiership seasons:

As you'll see, in almost every season we had a lower average number of points in the last 19 fixtures, bar some bottom 3 seasons when we were fighting relegation. Every single top six finish has resulted in a lower points tally in the second half of the season - most barring 04-05 are comparable to bottom six tallies.

I feel a real test of Lennon's capability as manager is if he was to buck this trend. We're almost certain to finish top six this season, so if he improves on our tally and takes us into/maintains a European spot (Scottish Cup winner permitting) I think he'll have done exceptionally well. This is another mentality problem we've had for years. So far, our averages are:

That's an exceptional tally - our first half points tally is the highest since 09-10 and after nine games in the second half we have averaged 2 points per game - and this is after playing every other team in the top six. We still have to play all of them again (and Hearts probably twice) but barring a massive slump we're looking on course to do very well.
    4 tough games coming up but our average since the turn of the year is now 2.25

Truly incredible firm we have been in this year

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    ...WAS so appaling

Our overall record in the Scottish Cup is still poor.

Three wins in our entire history.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post

I always used to put it down to strength in depth. Even with a decent 1st 11. Once suspensions and injuries take their toll it reflected in the results. Not only have we had a decent first 11 this time out we have players on the bench how can step up to the mark as well. We've also replaced our strike force completely without any bedding in issues, so NL and his recruitment team take a lot of credit.
    It's been a very good season

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post

We will improve it by winning it again next season. We were the last team other than Celtic to win a trophy and we will also be the team to end their run of trophy wins.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    We will improve it by winning it again next season. We were the last team other than Celtic to win a trophy and we will also be the team to end their run of trophy wins.
    I have a feeling Motherwell could do it this season. Just to spite us

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post
    I have a feeling Motherwell could do it this season. Just to spite us
    Honestly cannot See it

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I remember speaking to a taxi driver years ago, who was of the opinion that once we got the Scottish Cup monkey off our back then as a club we'd shift up a level, but until then we'd continue to struggle.

To be fair to him, thats how it feels. We've had all these hang-ups before - Hibsing it, the second half of the season collapse, the poor derby record etc etc.

It does feel like we've got a new lease of life and that we've banished a few demons along the way.

Crops driving the taxi, by any chance?

And we are watching the other lot Heartsing it.

Pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post

It's been bloody good for the last few years. Three finals and five semi-finals in seven (?) seasons. Especially as three of those season were when in the Championship.