hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Much preferred this thread when it was about spaceships.
    And on the subject, are people thinking that space exploration is an answer? I fully expect that it will produce massive fortunes for a very limited number of people, result in a tiny proportion of the earth's population being off planet and change not very much here on the blue planet.

Cracking escapism for a limited few, but hard to see how it does anything other than avoid the point about how we address the fundamental nature of human beings if we really want to sort out where we currently stand.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    And on the subject, are people thinking that space exploration is an answer? I fully expect that it will produce massive fortunes for a very limited number of people, result in a tiny proportion of the earth's population being off planet and change not very much here on the blue planet.

Cracking escapism for a limited few, but hard to see how it does anything other than avoid the point about how we address the fundamental nature of human beings if we really want to sort out where we currently stand.
    See post 3 ;-) Agree, and I don't really see the point. I do see the point in trying to find life elsewhere, but would leave that to telescopes and robots.

I think the issue with space exploration is it's not an answer to our problems in itself. If we go to another planet or a space station or whatever with the same attitudes and agendas as here then we take the same problems with us. If we are capable of putting aside those differences to make it off this planet surely we are capable of doing it here?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    That seems a bit offensive and uninformative. You were the one who brought the contention about the left into the thread, not me.

I simply asked where you see it because it isn't evident to me that the left are shaping events in power anywhere in the world.
    You were the one who brought the global context to the table when he was obviously meaning the UK. Labour has more members than ever, a huge grassroots movement beneath it and a spectacular showing against all the odds in the last general election with a "radical" leader at the helm...to me, that's the left doing pretty well in that regard.

I know your Overton window needs nudged slightly but I refuse to believe you don't know why there aren't more left wing governments "shaping events".

Good god, they aren't even allowed to "shape events" within their own country without heavy interference/criticism. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think the issue with space exploration is it's not an answer to our problems in itself. If we go to another planet or a space station or whatever with the same attitudes and agendas as here then we take the same problems with us. If we are capable of putting aside those differences to make it off this planet surely we are capable of doing it here?
    This is the point that I was trying to make, far too subtlety, in post 6. We are the problem, not the planet.

The problem is that we concentrate on things like economics and "freedom" to accumulate material wealth rather than the natural environment and a community spirit that helps the most vulnerable.

From Adam Smiths theories, to Thatcher, right up to the present day stuff that is actually more right wing...we've been conditioned to believe we are animalistic, selfish ****s and we're all out to cut each other's throats.

All I'll say is that I think we, as a race, are better than that and will find a way to survive.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Ultimately to survive as a species space exploration will be a necessity. Our planet will at some point become uninhabitable. My rather clumsily made point was that we are as far as weíve ever been on our own planet from uniting and being able to colonise other worlds. We will probably still be fighting our own petty battles over things that donít really matter when the time comes. It will probably take a huge natural disaster to focus the minds of the people running our world to realise that our existence isnít guaranteed. Over 90% of all species that have ever lived are now extinct, and we will go the same way unless attitudes change.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is the point that I was trying to make, far too subtlety, in post 6. We are the problem, not the planet.

The problem is that we concentrate on things like economics and "freedom" to accumulate material wealth rather than the natural environment and a community spirit that helps the most vulnerable.

From Adam Smiths theories, to Thatcher, right up to the present day stuff that is actually more right wing...we've been conditioned to believe we are animalistic, selfish ****s and we're all out to cut each other's throats.

All I'll say is that I think we, as a race, are better than that and will find a way to survive.
    I also think as a race weíre better than that, but it will take a monumental shift in peopleís attitudes and a hell of a lot of time before we are in a position to say that we arenít.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Either the Law of the Jungle will dictate who survives or a celestial disaster will take us all out. Whatever it is, it ain't gonna be pretty.

@hibs.net private member

Weíve been conditioned to believe no such thing. If that was he case why would we tolerate welfare states across most of the western world? Welfare states that redistribute wealth on a grand scale.

Inherently though people are selfish, to some degree thatís just human nature to look after ones self and ones loved ones. You canít change that and if you are waiting on a world where everyone always puts others first then you are waiting on a world that simply will never exist.

That said there is the plenty of education to be done on how protecting and supporting the environment and societies more vulnerable elements can help all and to be honest I think there is a slow trend towards that...most folk are certainly much more aware of their environmental impact with plastic just being the latest item that is being highlighted.

As for space exploration...Iím all for it! To limit ourselves to forever just think of the one planet and not to venture out into the wider galaxy is just plain boring in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    We’ve been conditioned to believe no such thing. If that was he case why would we tolerate welfare states across most of the western world? Welfare states that redistribute wealth on a grand scale.

Inherently though people are selfish, to some degree that’s just human nature to look after ones self and ones loved ones. You can’t change that and if you are waiting on a world where everyone always puts others first then you are waiting on a world that simply will never exist.

That said there is the plenty of education to be done on how protecting and supporting the environment and societies more vulnerable elements can help all and to be honest I think there is a slow trend towards that...most folk are certainly much more aware of their environmental impact with plastic just being the latest item that is being highlighted.

As for space exploration...I’m all for it! To limit ourselves to forever just think of the one planet and not to venture out into the wider galaxy is just plain boring in my book.
    Can I ask why you believe that? Did you read it? If so, who wrote it and what was their motive?Did you gather data? Is it just "common knowledge"? If so how did it become common knowledge?

I'm no sociologist but in my opinion, the fact that you believe that is evidence of the conditioning. There are probably innocent sources out there that propagate the idea that humans, to an extent, are naturally individualistic and selfish but I believe people also did this for their own purposes. No doubt there are forces conditioning us to believe the other side of the story...that we are innately selfless and care about a collective above the individual and not all of them will have those with honourable motives behind them. However, I know which is the more desirable human trait and my way of thinking is to believe we are more inclined to behave that way. I also believe that we are a product of the society we develop within and things like behavioural traits adjust accordingly. We're perfectly capable of changing our "nature" but will we? Probably not in my lifetime anyway.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone has heard enough of my crackpot theories and shoehorning of politics into it so I'm out in that regard.

Space travel? This is an idea I'm not really into, primarily because I don't understand it. To my uneducated eye, we've spent billions that could've been spent on improving our lot down on earth and what have we got out of it? The knowledge that some planets are hot and a worm might have lived on Mars millions of years ago?
    I'm being slightly facetious but I'd love to see something tangible, like a planet we can live on or an alien life form. In fact, what if we do contact aliens...how do we know they would be friendly? What if they are after our planet?? :-0

@hibs.net private member
    Can I ask why you believe that? Did you read it? If so, who wrote it and what was their motive?Did you gather data? Is it just "common knowledge"? If so how did it become common knowledge?

I'm no sociologist but in my opinion, the fact that you believe that is evidence of the conditioning. There are probably innocent sources out there that propagate the idea that humans, to an extent, are naturally individualistic and selfish but I believe people also did this for their own purposes. No doubt there are forces conditioning us to believe the other side of the story...that we are innately selfless and care about a collective above the individual and not all of them will have those with honourable motives behind them. However, I know which is the more desirable human trait and my way of thinking is to believe we are more inclined to behave that way. I also believe that we are a product of the society we develop within and things like behavioural traits adjust accordingly. We're perfectly capable of changing our "nature" but will we? Probably not in my lifetime anyway.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone has heard enough of my crackpot theories and shoehorning of politics into it so I'm out in that regard.

Space travel? This is an idea I'm not really into, primarily because I don't understand it. To my uneducated eye, we've spent billions that could've been spent on improving our lot down on earth and what have we got out of it? The knowledge that some planets are hot and a worm might have lived on Mars millions of years ago?
    I'm being slightly facetious but I'd love to see something tangible, like a planet we can live on or an alien life form. In fact, what if we do contact aliens...how do we know they would be friendly? What if they are after our planet?? :-0
    I believe it because thatís what many years on this earth has shown me this to be the case. School of life n all that

Venturing into space is required to, amongst many other things, understand what we are, where we might have came from and just what kinda neighbourhood we stay in I find the thought of people NOT wanting humans to venture beyond the (relatively to the universe) microscopic confines of earth a bit odd...or maybe Iím still a kid and like rockets and space stations