hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In what way will it make a difference, are all the other clubs plus us going to bring in more players to fill this reserve team?

Where are we getting the budget for this if it were to happen?

We currently do put players coming back from injury into what we currently have.

What will happen to the younger players now, who cant get a game in the reserves because we've filled it with older ones, and would the budget for youth development be cut to fund the extra reserve players we'd need?

At the moment the Development team is just that with an occasional 1st team player getting a game when they come back from injury. In a reserve team the players who were either not in the match day squad or didn't get on the pitch will play in the reserves. So after Aberdeen's game last week we could see Bell, Porteous Rherras, Bartley, Swanson, Murray, Shaw and if they were coming back fro injury Slivka, Barker, Gray and Whittaker all needing match sharpness, that's a full team of 1st team players.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    At the moment the Development team is just that with an occasional 1st team player getting a game when they come back from injury. In a reserve team the players who were either not in the match day squad or didn't get on the pitch will play in the reserves. So after Aberdeen's game last week we could see Bell, Porteous Rherras, Bartley, Swanson, Murray, Shaw and if they were coming back fro injury Slivka, Barker, Gray and Whittaker all needing match sharpness, that's a full team of 1st team players.
    Where are the youngsters going to play and get their experience in that team? I know what you are saying, but its more expense and the kids will find themselves further down the pecking order with less chance of kicking on.

If its a case of playing one or two older heads, we can do that already with the development team

Where are the youngsters going to play and get their experience in that team? I know what you are saying, but its more expense and the kids will find themselves further down the pecking order with less chance of kicking on.

If its a case of playing one or two older heads, we can do that already with the development team

Out of those players only 5-6 would probably play as some are still injured and others play regularly in the 1st team either as starters or subs. The old reserve teams were always older players with the odd youngster in there for the experience, you'll find a new youth league will probably be set up to accommodate the youngsters not yet ready for the step up, the reserve team was always for 1st team players with a sprinkling of youth.

Also playing 1-2 senior players in the development team doesn't really help the senior players as they're up against a bunch of youngsters, reserve football aids both senior and development players as it'll be more competitive.
    Last edited by J-C; 02-03-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Out of those players only 5-6 would probably play as some are still injured and others play regularly in the 1st team either as starters or subs. The old reserve teams were always older players with the odd youngster in there for the experience, you'll find a new youth league will probably be set up to accommodate the youngsters not yet ready for the step up, the reserve team was always for 1st team players with a sprinkling of youth.

Also playing 1-2 senior players in the development team doesn't really help the senior players as they're up against a bunch of youngsters, reserve football aids both senior and development players as it'll be more competitive.
    I doubt any of what you say above will come to fruition, and thats all before we count in the cost. I think we will just continue to see whats going on now, and all that will change is the name of the league.

I can see us busting the budget to bring in some rough old pros just to help the reserve team out and hinder the youngsters.

I find it unlikely we do that. But if we do, why can’t the do both? Help youngsters and bolster reserve squad?

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    I find it unlikely we do that. But if we do, why can’t the do both? Help youngsters and bolster reserve squad?
    We could do both, but there will be a cost to this. I personally think we will continue to do exactly the same as we do now, there may be the odd game where we play more than one or two, but the only clubs this will really help is the obvious 2 in the west.

They are the ones who are able to bring in more quality and extra bodies. The upside for me is they will release more and more kids who wont break through early enough for them, but may improve later.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    I can't see much changing from a Hibs point of view. Our U20's will become the reserve team.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Oldsters will remember reports in The Pink.

Third Lanark 'A' v Hibs 'A' - O'Rourke corner from the right led to goal by TRIALIST. Dog on pitch caused delay.

The season Joe Baker scored his record number of goals Jock Buchanan scored even more for the reserves.There was a lot of entertainment at ER then.

If we are going back to a Reserve league then there is maybe a need to enter a "Colts" team in the East of Scotland or Lowland League as in the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    The season Joe Baker scored his record number of goals Jock Buchanan scored even more for the reserves.There was a lot of entertainment at ER then.
    I seem remember some decent crowds at reserve games especially if a 1st team player was coming back from injury

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    If we are going back to a Reserve league then there is maybe a need to enter a "Colts" team in the East of Scotland or Lowland League as in the old days.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    I seem remember some decent crowds at reserve games especially if a 1st team player was coming back from injury

Those were the days. It was in the late 50's I was at a reserve game, Hibs v Queen of the South,crowd 8000+. A few years later IIRC we struggled to get 5/6000 at 1st team games. Recently people moan when a couple of hundred seats are empty in the F5 stand.Just imagine what ER was like with 59000 empty spaces.Hard to believe,but it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    Hibs used to "let it be known" that Gordon Smith might return in the reserve team on Saturday.He never did of course-only played for the reserves once very late in his career.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Oldsters will remember reports in The Pink.

Third Lanark 'A' v Hibs 'A' - O'Rourke corner from the right led to goal by TRIALIST. Dog on pitch caused delay.
    Took me a while as a fledgling to realise that there weren't lots of Newmans in the wee team.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Hibs used to "let it be known" that Gordon Smith might return in the reserve team on Saturday.He never did of course-only played for the reserves once very late in his career.
    Good move though bet that added thousands

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Took me a while as a fledgling to realise that there weren't lots of Newmans in the wee team.
    Brilliant. I'm old enough to remember when there was a Green 'Un - The Dispatch.

I used to think it was for Hibees and The Pink was for Jam Tarts!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    IMO scrapping the reserve league was one of the worst things that ever happened to Scottish football. It will be great to see it return. A step in the right direction for sure.
    I can remember the days when there were calls for reserve teams to contain a mandatory number of young players.......bit like flared trousers......they will eventually come back, but Be criticised.

Don’t think there is a barrier to playing returning players just now......and clubs certainly aren’t going to sign players to have the best reserve team in the league.....so as far as I can see....mostly just a name change.