hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar

NHC World cup classics

Your nominations? I'll refrain as an Englishman to say that game iin '66. I'll nominate Italy 3 Brazil 2 in 1982.

There should be many many matches to consider.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Germany 0-2 Italy 2006.

If extending it to the Euros, then clearly the best game ever played was Holland 2 Czechs 3 in 2004.

First game of the 2006 wc, Germany 4 Costa Rica 2, was my first taste of the world cup. Fantastic game, Lahm and Frings scored incredible goals.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Brazil 1 - 7 Germany. Never been more shocked at a result in my life!

2014. Germany 7 Brazil 1.

Ok so it was far from a vintage Brazil team but Germany were absolutely ruthless. It was a masterclass and they stamped their authority as the best international team on the planet that night. The best team might not always win the WC but in 2014 they undoubtedly did.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

That 7-1 game was a pretty amazing game. Germany so good, Brazil so Hearts 73

@hibs.net private member
    Argentina 0-1 Cameroon

Opening game of Italia 90. The “minnows” of Cameroon beating the team that made it to the final. A team filled with players such as Maradona and Cannigia.

The game is one of my earliest memories of watching football on the telly. Also had a highlights video of World Cup 90 and a massive sticker album.

This particular game also had one of the worst tackles I’ve ever seen on Cannigia after he had skipped over 3 or 4 prior to getting taken out waist high.

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    Brazil 4 Italy 1, Mexico 1970. The greatest WC final won by the greatest WC team ever. Mind you, the Brazilians of 1982 were a very fine side and if elegance and skill were enough to win a competition, they would have strolled to a win that year.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    The 3-2 Italy v Brazil game in the 80’s World Cup was some gs ev

That one when Maradona scored the header against England.

I forget the details, I was young at the time.

England v Argentina in 1998.

Edge of seat stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    England v Argentina in 1998.

Edge of seat stuff.
    I was there Pete, suffering from heat stroke after an afternoon the previous day exploring the roman ruins of nearby Lyon.

Was a great game, could easily have gone either way.

Controversial one here but here goes....Brazil 4 Scotland 1 1982. We were not bad back then but Brazil were wow, the last great ginga style Brazil team. Other than that there was the Maradona show in the 2-0 game against Belgium in 86 or more recently the France 3 Brazil 0 final in 1998.

Holland 2 Scotland 3

Best Scotland team in my lifetime - we all thought we would win the World Cup.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Your nominations? I'll refrain as an Englishman to say that game iin '66. I'll nominate Italy 3 Brazil 2 in 1982.

My favourite WC game, too - despite the result !. (never liked the Italian obsession with defensive-football/cynical-play) Years later, on Portobello-beach of all places, I had the honour of meeting Socrates (captain and scorer for Brazil in that game) who was in Scotland promoting some football-tournament. Even though I was in my late 30's/early 40's, I was like a nervous wee-laddie as I waited to meet him and shake his hand ! Class player !

Italy 3 Brazil 2 in Espana '82. Extended to the Euros, France 4 Portugal 3 in 84 I think.

Portugal v Holland in the 2006 semi final

4 players sent off I think, and Portugal held on for a 1 0 win to reach the final

Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    Portugal v Holland in the 2006 semi final

4 players sent off I think, and Portugal held on for a 1 0 win to reach the final
    Battle of Nuremberg. Was the quarter final I believe.

I can remember most games up until 1998.

After that they see to all blend into one for some reason. Korea, South Africa, Somewhere I can’t remember, Brazil or wherever it was...meh

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Battle of Nuremberg. Was the quarter final I believe.
    Players didn’t help but the ref totally lost the plot. I remember Deco and Van Bronckhorst who were both at Barcelona at the time sitting together after being sent off laughing about it.

It wa the last 16, Portugal beat England in the quarter final. The famous Ronaldo wink game.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough
    Argentina 78. mario kempes, daniel Passarella, hundreds of miles of ticker tape and wee Archie scoring the greatest goal in world cup history

Quote Originally Posted by chinaman View Post
    Argentina 78. mario kempes, daniel Passarella, hundreds of miles of ticker tape and wee Archie scoring the greatest goal in world cup history

Was that the match Bobby Charlton thought he was called Bobby McCharlton for a brief moment?

Was a great performance though, a bit too late obviously.

[/B]

Was that the match Bobby Charlton thought he was called Bobby McCharlton for a brief moment?

Was a great performance though, a bit too late obviously.
    If you listen closely to the BBC commentary, you can hear a voice yelling ‘it’s there, it’s there!!’. That was indeed Bobby Charlton.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Players didn’t help but the ref totally lost the plot. I remember Deco and Van Bronckhorst who were both at Barcelona at the time sitting together after being sent off laughing about it.

It wa the last 16, Portugal beat England in the quarter final. The famous Ronaldo wink game.
    You're right, it was the last 16. I should've known since Portugal weren't in the final.

82 World Cup was first I really remember. Brazil had great players apart from GK and striker! The French too had a great team at that time. Remember the France v West Germany semi final, 3-3 AET if I remember correctly. Schumacher flattening Battiston. Remember being gutted when France lost on pens.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

The Italy-Brazil game in 1982 is as good as it gets, an impossibly glamorous game featuring divine talent. The question should really be what was the second-best World Cup finals game

My nominations for next-best would be the 1986 semi-final between Argentina and Belgium and the 1998 quarter-final between Netherlands and Argentina. Both featured some exquisitely talented players, with the added value of Maradona showing why he was the best player in the world in the former, and Bergkamp showing his ability to do what practically no one else can do in the latter.

As an aside, it wasn’t a great game as such, but as great World Cup goals go, Cambiasso for Argentina vs Serbia in 2006 takes some beating. 25 passes before he thumps it into the net.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Italy 3 Brazil 2 in Espana '82. Extended to the Euros, France 4 Portugal 3 in 84 I think.
    That Euros was the first one I remember watching. France beat Portugal 3-2 in the semi-finals, with Michel Platini scoring the winner IIRC. Platini was a god to me in those days. I used to go to an Italian barbers and they were massive Juve fans, with posters and pictures on the wall, and copies of World Club Soccer on the table. It was a good schooling in continental football

If we are citing the Euros then it would be remiss not to mention the 1998 final and Marco Van Basten’s goal.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    That Euros was the first one I remember watching. France beat Portugal 3-2 in the semi-finals, with Michel Platini scoring the winner IIRC. Platini was a god to me in those days. I used to go to an Italian barbers and they were massive Juve fans, with posters and pictures on the wall, and copies of World Club Soccer on the table. It was a good schooling in continental football

If we are citing the Euros then it would be remiss not to mention the 1998 final and Marco Van Basten’s goal.
    Platini, Giresse, Tigana, Fernández. Possibly the best midfield ever.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by angus hibby View Post
    82 World Cup was first I really remember. Brazil had great players apart from GK and striker! The French too had a great team at that time. Remember the France v West Germany semi final, 3-3 AET if I remember correctly. Schumacher flattening Battiston. Remember being gutted when France lost on pens.
    Amazing game pity the wrong team won.

That tackle against Claudio Caniggia.....