hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Sledging

Sledging

I didn't grow up in Edinburgh so never had the opportunity to go sledging here.

One of the girls I work with has a wee boy and she is wondering where she can take him.

What are the best sledging spots in Edinburgh?

She stays at Craigleith/ Blackhall.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

One of the girls I work with has a wee boy and she is wondering where she can take him.

I grew up next to the Queens Park and there was a famous run not far from the park gates at Meadowbank called the quarter mile.
    Not a lot of help to your friends in Craigleith/ Blackhall area but if they can get themselves across the town then loads of good sledging to be had in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    I grew up next to the Queens Park and there was a famous run not far from the park gates at Meadowbank called the quarter mile.
    Not a lot of help to your friends in Craigleith/ Blackhall area but if they can get themselves across the town then loads of good sledging to be had in the park.
    Yes, they have a car and are happy to take buses places.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll pass it on.

@hibs.net private member Rattler's Avatar
    Why not try Clermiston Hill, just opposite the Capital Moat Hotel?

Not too far away from where they stay

There’s a decent slope in the Mary Erskine school on the Ravelston side.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I grew up next to Kingsknowe golf course and there was a great hill for sledging that they let us use in the snow (don't know if it'll still be the case). There was a gate just beside the level crossing at Kingsknowe station that they'd leave open, and the hill was far enough away from the holes (nearest to 2 & 3 IIRC) as to cause any damage. Good PR for them and everyone was happy.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I grew up next to Kingsknowe golf course and there was a great hill for sledging that they let us use in the snow (don't know if it'll still be the case). There was a gate just beside the level crossing at Kingsknowe station that they'd leave open, and the hill was far enough away from the holes (nearest to 2 & 3 IIRC) as to cause any damage. Good PR for them and everyone was happy.
    Had a good couple of years sledging there in the winters of 87 & 88, didn't realise the gates beside the green keeping gear were deliberately left open, we thought we were being rascals back then!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Had a good couple of years sledging there in the winters of 87 & 88, didn't realise the gates beside the green keeping gear were deliberately left open, we thought we were being rascals back then!
    It was either that or have folk wrecking fences and hedges climbing in - they did the sensible thing.

There were 2 "pistes" - the normal hill/slope which was fine but pretty tame, then there was the "toboggan run", which was a path which sloped down through the trees and where encounters with tree roots and boulders were far more likely.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    As a former blackball boy you've a cracking hill halfway along craigcrook road there is a big horses field, Chuck yourself down that. It's braw.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Surprised nobody has suggested the braids. Plenty slopes and plenty room for everyone.

Also the second green at merchants, or 2nd the at mortonhall golf courses are steep fast runs.

It's a bit out the way but what was the 15th hole at Lothianburn GC would be great for sledging. Think it's used for cattle or horses now but if it's accessible it would be good fun.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

The golf course on Observatory Hill, or up the top of Blackford hill.

@hibs.net private member hibbybob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's a bit out the way but what was the 15th hole at Lothianburn GC would be great for sledging. Think it's used for cattle or horses now but if it's accessible it would be good fun.
    There's a big "no sledging" sign on what was Lothianburn GC as it's now used for horses.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbybob View Post
    There's a big "no sledging" sign on what was Lothianburn GC as it's now used for horses.
    Is that the one next to the ski slope? I remember skiing down that in the dark a couple of times in the 80s when the Hillend ski hire was down at the bottom of the road. Happy days.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    It was either that or have folk wrecking fences and hedges climbing in - they did the sensible thing.

There were 2 "pistes" - the normal hill/slope which was fine but pretty tame, then there was the "toboggan run", which was a path which sloped down through the trees and where encounters with tree roots and boulders were far more likely.
    Ha ha, I remember both those "pistes", we used to add a bit danger to the normal run by building a snow ramp near the bottom, we'd then stand on our sledges and attempt to "ski jump",,,, how more of us never got broken bones I'll never know?!?

When I drove past Murrayfield Golf Course when we had snow a few weeks back there were loads of people sledging there. Looked a decent spot.

@hibs.net private member hibbybob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Is that the one next to the ski slope? I remember skiing down that in the dark a couple of times in the 80s when the Hillend ski hire was down at the bottom of the road. Happy days.
    Yes - the no sledging sign is at the top of the hill next to the car park.

I recall the ski hire being at the bottom of the hill - it was quite a hike!

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Silverknowes beach down at the golf club

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Don't know if this snow is much use for sledging - certainly down here in Peebles. Too fine, and too much of it! Just be sinking into the stuff.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Kingsnowe is a great shout. The hills lining the 2nd hole are perfect.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"