hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we get half an inch of snow the schools will be closed and office workers will be sent home early as we mere humans cannot survive such life threatening conditions. The football authorities should postpone the game if the winds are too strong as this is the only real game spoiler we ever get. Sadly this will never happen and people will be talking about 6 feet of snow etc etc etc. Open a can of growsomeballs and we'll be fine.
    Rather what I was thinking. Under prepared councils and the "woe is me" attitude to a bit of snow always cracks me up. Switzerland has had metres of the stuff this year with minimal disruption.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Rather what I was thinking. Under prepared councils and the "woe is me" attitude to a bit of snow always cracks me up. Switzerland has had metres of the stuff this year with minimal disruption.
    In these days of litigation, the Schools/Councils are on a hiding to nothing, they're damned if they close because of the weather and damned if they decide to stay open.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    What a bunch of wimps we've turned into in this country.
    My thoughts exactly. When did -7 and a bit of snow amount to catastrophe?

Ha!! Beast from the East? Thought for a minute, we’d made a new signing.

Postpone or play the game? Wouldn’t mind either way. As long as the decision is taken well in advance of putting folks out re travelling. The “leave it to the last minute” decision does nobody any favours.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Having sat in the Allianz Arena watching 1860 Munich with the temperature at the beginning of the game at -14C (in the -20s by the end)....

...can I just take this opportunity to say what a bunch of wimps my fellow Hibbies are.

p.s. My Dad was sat next to me and he was 71 at the time.
    When yňur diesel starts freezing then you can start to talk about it being a bit nippy. Even then there's measures you can take to counteract the cold.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Perhaps thats true, but in Switzerland you tend to get a lot of snow every year, and hence any equipment and preparations are largely BAU for the local council etc.

As it happens, I was in the French alps (Haute Savoie) in mid january, and they struggled to cope with the volumes of snow falling - despite being supposedly properly set up for it.

There is no point having hundreds of snowploughs waiting around in central Scotland as it rarely hits that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Aim Here View Post
    You're putting your son up in front of 15,000 people wearing all his mother's clothes? The mockery will traumatize him! I'm calling social services right now!
    Better improve my grammar

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    If we get half an inch of snow the schools will be closed and office workers will be sent home early as we mere humans cannot survive such life threatening conditions. The football authorities should postpone the game if the winds are too strong as this is the only real game spoiler we ever get. Sadly this will never happen and people will be talking about 6 feet of snow etc etc etc. Open a can of growsomeballs and we'll be fine.
    Yes, all very good. The issue isn't with the actual temperatures, if folk wrap up warm its not a big deal, though I would understand why folk wouldn't want to take kids to a match where the mercury is likely to fall below - 7. The problem is with getting to and from the match.

For us that's an 80 mile round trip up and down a road which is pretty poor even in decent conditions. With 'significant' snowfall predicted for most of the day on Wednesday and the likelihood of it drifting on high ground I would prefer to open a can of 'usesomecommonsense' than a can of 'growsomeballs' mate .... Even driving a few miles on decent roads during daylight in snow is a pain in the arse ... at night with significant snow on the road and the space travel effect of snow in the headlights that's ramped up considerably.

As I said, in the 25 or so years I've actually been the designated driver up and down from Gala I've never missed a single match because of the weather and I've driven the journey in snow several times ..... But even I cant ignore such a bad forecast ... I don't own a bloomin' Land Rover.

What a bunch of woosies on here. Remember the 60s when the snow fell for weeks, nobody had undersoil heating except the SRU and the Mound, balls were made of leather and laced up too. Kids wore sandles and shorts in the snow with woolie balaclavas and mits strung through the arms of your blazer on elastic and yet the games went ahead. Lines swept of snow and painted yellow, an orange ball and a big fat ref in a sports jacket and open necked white shirt ( with the collar over the jacket collar)

Ah those were the days....

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I meant could it then be played after the split in the earlier suggested April slot.
    I’m almost certain it will have to be played prior to the split.

If it is off, hope they dont play it next Tuesday night with the derby on the Friday night.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    What a bunch of woosies on here. Remember the 60s when the snow fell for weeks, nobody had undersoil heating except the SRU and the Mound, balls were made of leather and laced up too. Kids wore sandles and shorts in the snow with woolie balaclavas and mits strung through the arms of your blazer on elastic and yet the games went ahead. Lines swept of snow and painted yellow, an orange ball and a big fat ref in a sports jacket and open necked white shirt ( with the collar over the jacket collar)

Ah those were the days....
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned Ł2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    308D06BB-F5E2-42B7-8409-F31386DCCC45.jpg

The game has to be a doubt

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    308D06BB-F5E2-42B7-8409-F31386DCCC45.jpg

The game has to be a doubt
    We have had a few amber warnings and Edinburgh has been completely fine. Really depends how well the guys do getting the grit out on roads and pavements.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    We have had a few amber warnings and Edinburgh has been completely fine. Really depends how well the guys do getting the grit out on roads and pavements.
    Aw .... Edinburgh will be fine ... that's ok then, sod the poor wee 2nd class Hibbies who live oot o' the toon .... is that what yer sayin'? ... is it? ... well, is it??

At least now we know where we stand

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    I would prefer to open a can of 'usesomecommonsense' than a can of 'growsomeballs' mate ....
    As I said, in the 25 or so years I've actually been the designated driver up and down from Gala I've never missed a single match because of the weather and I've driven the journey in snow several times ..... But even I cant ignore such a bad forecast ... I don't own a bloomin' Land Rover.
    Never had a problem with common sense and the Gala road isn't very good so you may consider yourself exempt from my inane ramblings mate....

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Aw .... Edinburgh will be fine ... that's ok then, sod the poor wee 2nd class Hibbies who live oot o' the toon .... is that what yer sayin'? ... is it? ... well, is it??

Don't mention the stand again ...
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned Ł2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Yes, all very good. The issue isn't with the actual temperatures, if folk wrap up warm its not a big deal, though I would understand why folk wouldn't want to take kids to a match where the mercury is likely to fall below - 7. The problem is with getting to and from the match.

For us that's an 80 mile round trip up and down a road which is pretty poor even in decent conditions. With 'significant' snowfall predicted for most of the day on Wednesday and the likelihood of it drifting on high ground I would prefer to open a can of 'usesomecommonsense' than a can of 'growsomeballs' mate .... Even driving a few miles on decent roads during daylight in snow is a pain in the arse ... at night with significant snow on the road and the space travel effect of snow in the headlights that's ramped up considerably.

Well said Nae Nookie. I've been involved in a few hazardous journeys myself over the years. The townies don't know they're living. 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Don't mention the stand again ...

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Perhaps thats true, but in Switzerland you tend to get a lot of snow every year, and hence any equipment and preparations are largely BAU for the local council etc.

As it happens, I was in the French alps (Haute Savoie) in mid january, and they struggled to cope with the volumes of snow falling - despite being supposedly properly set up for it.

There is no point having hundreds of snowploughs waiting around in central Scotland as it rarely hits that hard.
    And yet, every year there's the same "Doomsday" weather warnings at at least a couple of time per winter and everyone's Nan runs to the shop and buys bread and milk like it's the Apocalypse. There needs to be a middle ground in terms of investment/preparation of councils in the UK for inclement weather during the winter as te current "stay indoors, don't make any non essential journeys" schtick every time it's forecast to get somewhat nippy is laughable.

It's not just snow (a few inches of which can lock down central Scotland's main artery, the M8, in a matter of hours?!?!) but ice etc as well. South of England is even worse in terms of mentality.

What I'm saying is that for a city on the same latitude as Moscow and further north than Vancouver, it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man for this forecasted weather in late February to not jeopardise a game of football.

And yet, every year there's the same "Doomsday" weather warnings at at least a couple of time per winter and everyone's Nan runs to the shop and buys bread and milk like it's the Apocalypse. There needs to be a middle ground in terms of investment/preparation of councils in the UK for inclement weather during the winter as te current "stay indoors, don't make any non essential journeys" schtick every time it's forecast to get somewhat nippy is laughable.

It's not just snow (a few inches of which can lock down central Scotland's main artery, the M8, in a matter of hours?!?!) but ice etc as well. South of England is even worse in terms of mentality.

What I'm saying is that for a city on the same latitude as Moscow and further north than Vancouver, it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man for this forecasted weather in late February to not jeopardise a game of football.
    The Gulf stream

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Prepare for the worst. Not looking good for your journey

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...egionType=area
    A lot of yellow snow on that forecast!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    In these days of litigation, the Schools/Councils are on a hiding to nothing, they're damned if they close because of the weather and damned if they decide to stay open.
    My local area gets a fair bit of snow and the schools close so quickly now because they don't want anyone getting hurt trying to get in and suing the school districts. That includes the local universities too.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar

I dont necessarily disagree with a lot of what you are saying, but the bit highlighted is trotted out a fair bit - and the latitude of Edinburgh is not the only factor involved. Moscow and Vancouver get more snow.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    I dont necessarily disagree with a lot of what you are saying, but the bit highlighted is trotted out a fair bit - and the latitude of Edinburgh is not the only factor involved. Moscow and Vancouver get more snow.
    Also, Moscow & Vancouver don't get warmed up from the North Atlantic Drift.

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=th...Qw4mY3b3ecAqM:

Ah! Just noticed the wee dummy sucker. You were joking were'nt you?
    Last edited by JohnMcM; 26-02-2018 at 07:39 PM. Reason: To correct

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Also, Moscow & Vancouver don't get warmed up from the North Atlantic Drift.
    Soon we'll probably be the same, thanks climate change!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    I saw the title and thought it was about Rix. 😁

@hibs.net private member Galahibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I'm hoping that, if they cancel it, they do so before 2.30pm.

That's when my train leaves York.

I won't get a refund for my tickets, but there's no point travelling if there's no game to go to.
    I've already had the 'pleasure' of York City v Alfreton Town this week. I still can't feel my feet ❄ and my eyes are still bleeding! It was like watching Hearts v Hearts #HOOOOF!

Could we try and organise a Pre winter , mid winter ,real winter and post winter break ?
    Last edited by Clerie Green; 26-02-2018 at 07:43 PM. Reason: spelling error