hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Scotland played magnificently, and fully earned and deserved the victory.

As for the BBC, I felt before the match there was a disproportionate level of discussion/coverage of England, especially as we’d had an impressive win against the French, and the English needed an extremely dubious referee & TMO decision to take the win against the welsh. Guscott was very dismissive of Scotland and Russell in particular, and although I’ve never had any liking for the man, Martin Johnson came across well, saying he hoped for an even better Scottish performance and a great game with an English victory (I’ve no problem with anyone saying they want their national team to win). After the game Johnson was gracious in defeat and highlighted the good Scottish play as well as the English poor play, whilst the beeb very only interested in the latter.

I also thought Brian Moore in co-commentary was very fair (as is usually the case).

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scotland win and some peoples 1st thought is to complain about a BBC conspiracy. 'Some of the commentators look pissed off', I'm sure Andy Nicol would have been doing handstands and beaming from ear to ear had Scotland lost.

The news was on air very quickly post game so that explains the limited air time, that will be different on the later edition. Martin Johnson and Jeremy Guscott are passionate about England Rugby hence their disappointment. Lighten up and enjoy yourself ffs.

No wonder people accuse us of being small minded and bitter.
    Bang on.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post

As for the BBC, I felt before the match there was a disproportionate level of discussion/coverage of England, especially as we’d had an impressive win against the French, and the English needed an extremely dubious referee & TMO decision to take the win against the welsh. Guscott was very dismissive of Scotland and Russell in particular, and although I’ve never had any liking for the man, Martin Johnson came across well, saying he hoped for an even better Scottish performance and a great game with an English victory (I’ve no problem with anyone saying they want their national team to win). After the game Johnson was gracious in defeat and highlighted the good Scottish play as well as the English poor play, whilst the beeb very only interested in the latter.

I also thought Brian Moore in co-commentary was very fair (as is usually the case).
    Yes, I think Brian Moore is outstanding. Epitomises how to be a passionate supporter of your country but balanced and un-chippy at the same time.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Don't think anyone was talking about MJ, thought he was considered and gracious in defeat. Couldn't care less about Guscott, he was dismissive of Scotland before the game and is the epitome of the smug, arrogant England player/pundit. Inverdale is the worst of the lot though, focussed on England's mistakes and supposed contentious ref decisions rather than Scotland's positive play. Any criticism fully justified IMO and no conspiracy theories here.

well said F and Guscott has always been a smug arrogant t*t, player and pundit

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Scotland win and some peoples 1st thought is to complain about a BBC conspiracy. 'Some of the commentators look pissed off', I'm sure Andy Nicol would have been doing handstands and beaming from ear to ear had Scotland lost.

The news was on air very quickly post game so that explains the limited air time, that will be different on the later edition. Martin Johnson and Jeremy Guscott are passionate about England Rugby hence their disappointment. Lighten up and enjoy yourself ffs.

No wonder people accuse us of being small minded and bitter.
    Nail on head.

As long as I get to see Jeremy Guscott looking distraught, they could have the leader of the EDL presenting for all I care.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Yes, I think Brian Moore is outstanding. Epitomises how to be a passionate supporter of your country but balanced and un-chippy at the same time.

You don’t need to be jingoistic, smug or belittling to be passionate about your team/nation, you can be passionate and balanced at the same time, and be able to recognise what the opposition are doing well whilst still wanting one side to come out on top.

Bill McLaren was the master at this

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Brian Moore is the best co commentator by miles always seems fair and accurate in his opinions the polar opposite of Jonathan Davies who is incredibly biased.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Brian Moore is the best co commentator by miles always seems fair and accurate in his opinions the polar opposite of Jonathan Davies who is incredibly biased.

Totally agree on both counts mate.

davies is the kind of commentator that makes you want to put your foot through the telly, likely to be found telling us what a great try wales have scored, during a France vs Scotland match. He’s a goat

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Fair play fellas, trounced us.

@hibs.net private member
    Totally agree on both counts mate.

davies is the kind of commentator that makes you want to put your foot through the telly, likely to be found telling us what a great try wales have scored, during a France vs Scotland match. He’s a goat

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Jonathan Davies brings the same to a Rugby commentary as what Allan Preston brings to a football commentary. He really is that bad.