hibs.net Messageboard

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Neil Lennon.

The best ref I ever saw was the Icelandic boy who took charge v st Johnstone ( I think) when our refs were on strike for more cash ( cheek)

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaststandee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely in PRINCIPLE referees not being on full time contracts would make them more susceptible to bribes/"gifts." You would imagine a competent organisation would try to avoid this..

I am not saying this happens btw, before I am told to get my foil hat on.
    Are most of them not lawyers or accountants so less succeptible ... oh wait... :)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Thought the Maltese ref was superb at easter road

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Refs from other countries won’t necessarily solve the problem. They would still be open to ‘stretched-palm’ corruption.
    I’d actually feel a bit better if said stretched palm wisnae from the likes of Thompson & the rest of the obvious biased brigade. Maybe just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Refs from other countries won’t necessarily solve the problem. They would still be open to ‘stretched-palm’ corruption.
    They would however be less likely to show bias towards particular clubs.

In an ideal world professional referees would spend half their time on exchange with other countries which should help drive up standards. At the moment our top referees are guaranteed a game because there is no alternative.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Bring in foreigners because Scottish people are untrustworthy.

Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Bring in foreigners because some Scottish people are untrustworthy.

True now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    True now.
    Are some foreigners not untrustworthy, too?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Are some foreigners not untrustworthy, too?
    Of course. Culturally those would be untrustworthy for different reasons. Some Scottish refs are all too willing to bow to an Ibrox-centric culture.

Who was the Ref who claimed to be proud he'd never officiated in a Rangers defeat?

Of course. Culturally those would be untrustworthy for different reasons. Some Scottish refs are all too willing to bow to an Ibrox-centric culture.

Who was the Ref who claimed to be proud he'd never officiated in a Rangers defeat?
    It would be a huge embarrassment, and insult, to the entire country if Scottish football said that, because they couldn't find enough honest people to referee our football matches, applications were invited from those born outside our borders.

Fortunately, the idea is just badly thought through nonsense which would never even be contemplated never mind implemented.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar

At a sportsman's dinner I heard Brian McGinley suggest that, if necessary, he always played over the 90mins till Rangers scored.
    A feeble attempt at humour? Maybe, however, many's a true word .....

It would be a huge embarrassment, and insult, to the entire country if Scottish football said that, because they couldn't find enough honest people to referee our football matches, applications were invited from those born outside our borders.

Fortunately, the idea is just badly thought through nonsense which would never even be contemplated never mind implemented.
    It will never happen and it's not something I'm advocating.

The bias exists though in all walks, maybe not as vocal as it once was but it's still there.

It has nothing to do with whether Scottish people are more untrustworthy or less than foreigners. It’s about bringing in competition competition for the jobs.
    Perform poorly and you are out rather than just moving on and getting another match the next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    It has nothing to do with whether Scottish people are more untrustworthy or less than foreigners. It’s about bringing in competition competition for the jobs.
    Perform poorly and you are out rather than just moving on and getting another match the next week.

The chat on this thread is about dishonest refs with outstretched palms.

It's nonsense though, Ozzy.

Referees are criticised by fans and pundits in every country in the world. It's incredibly difficult to get everything right.

Who decides if the ref's performance was worthy of him getting another game or getting kicked out? What standards of performance should be set?

What happens when the foreign referee fails? How far afield do we go when we run out, country by country?

How much do we shell out in air fares and accommodation? etc etc etc.

When fans come up with simple solutions, there are usually reasons they've not already been implemented.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 01-03-2018 at 12:22 PM.

@hibs.net private member malcolm's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don’t believe there is corruption among scottish refs - if this is measured by greasing palms but I’ve seen too much not to believe that at the least there are refs whose unconscious bias leads them to favour decisions one way and not the other. And when I am the most cynical I might choose to believe some bias is not simply unconscious.

Course I am happy to admit that I’m very consciously biased myself ... but not so much that I can’t be reasonably dubious that all decisions are as they should be.

The big forgotten or lost message in all of this is that all Lennon and us fans want is to be treated fairly by match officials, honest decisions made and that they work haed at being more competent in doing there jobs.
    Do.this and all this doesnt happen, like us all if we go out and do a fair days work, learn from our mistakes and do better wherever we can, if we dont do that our bosses ask us why and if it carries we dont have jobs or at least not the same job.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    The big forgotten or lost message in all of this is that all Lennon and us fans want is to be treated fairly by match officials, honest decisions made and that they work haed at being more competent in doing there jobs.
    Do.this and all this doesnt happen, like us all if we go out and do a fair days work, learn from our mistakes and do better wherever we can, if we dont do that our bosses ask us why and if it carries we dont have jobs or at least not the same job.
    Very few jobs are done in front of tens of thousands, watched over afterwards by even more who can scrutinise from different angles and at a slower speed and where decisions can cost Millions. I wonder how many of us get it right every time under severe pressure and making instant decision, anyone crashed their car or hit their finger with a hammer etc. Refereeing is probably better than it has ever been it's just that most decisions can now be proven to be right or wrong because of the TV coverage and more players are at it than ever before. It doesn't help that lots of fans aren't even clear on some of the laws of the game.

Hibs have had way more than their fair share of bad decisions and if we really want to do something about it then we should start compiling evidence. Consistency is the key and I doubt it would take long to start showing that Marv gets booked for practically nothing compared to some players, Hibs have been denied large numbers of absolutely clear cut goals and lots of our sendings off have been rescinded while other teams receive their punishment after the players walk off the park.

Get the evidence together and make sure referees know we compile that evidence professionally to make sure decisions are as consistent as possible. That will get into a referees mind. I think Lennon went about it the wrong way against Killie but his post match interview contained the correct way forward. Compare similar situations with different decisions ideally from the same referee but also from other referees.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Very few jobs are done in front of tens of thousands, watched over afterwards by even more who can scrutinise from different angles and at a slower speed and where decisions can cost Millions. I wonder how many of us get it right every time under severe pressure and making instant decision, anyone crashed their car or hit their finger with a hammer etc. Refereeing is probably better than it has ever been it's just that most decisions can now be proven to be right or wrong because of the TV coverage and more players are at it than ever before. It doesn't help that lots of fans aren't even clear on some of the laws of the game.

Hibs have had way more than their fair share of bad decisions and if we really want to do something about it then we should start compiling evidence. Consistency is the key and I doubt it would take long to start showing that Marv gets booked for practically nothing compared to some players, Hibs have been denied large numbers of absolutely clear cut goals and lots of our sendings off have been rescinded while other teams receive their punishment after the players walk off the park.

Get the evidence together and make sure referees know we compile that evidence professionally to make sure decisions are as consistent as possible. That will get into a referees mind. I think Lennon went about it the wrong way against Killie but his post match interview contained the correct way forward. Compare similar situations with different decisions ideally from the same referee but also from other referees.
    "Like".

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Jurgen Klopp going stone cold radge at the referee and fourth official there for not getting a penalty in the last minute of injury time when they're 2-0 up.

Left by mutual consent!
    Celtic got an unbelievable penalty today. Bet your bottom dollar guns get one tomorrow.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    Neil made a great point about the way teams are treated by the refs. He mentioned Rodgers getting a call by the ref supervisor the day after Ross county got a soft penalty and wondered why he didn't get the same call after the goal not given against Hearts. One rule for one.
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 03-03-2018 at 10:10 PM.

Refs are also tight knit group who stick together against supports they dislike or managers.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar

You never answered the question re culture, conscious or subconscious, but went on the offensive. Consciously or subconsciously coming from a 75% to 25% country. I would like foreign refs personally. I grew up seeing too much to put it all down to subconscious.

Left by mutual consent!
    I not long ago had a drink with a very drunk ref who referees in Scottish league 2 regularly. He claimed corruption is at its highest just now..

Make of that what you want

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    I not long ago had a drink with a very drunk ref who referees in Scottish league 2 regularly. He claimed corruption is at its highest just now..

Make of that what you want
    What did he mean by corruption?

Neil Lennon.

http://www.trainingground.guru/artic...actics-clemens

If Lennon has to work from the stand then we could do worse than use a system like this.

Last edited by Ozyhibby; 07-03-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by staunchhibby View Post
    Thought the Maltese ref was superb at easter road

Agree 100%. He was brilliant. Had a bit of banter with the players and didn't notice him too much. Sign of a good official. Most of our mob really do think it's all about them. Andrew Dallas has to be up there with the worst when it comes to attention seeking.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I remember a cartoon strip (maybe "this goalie's got guts") where a Mexican team took to the pitch wearing sombreros, each concealing a radio receiver.

Not so far fetched now, what with miniaturisation and that ...