hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    I say yay yay....

2. Log in to remove the advert

Pat’s a big Yay from me is a person, pundit and converted Hibby.

I do however think he’s sometimes quite difficult to listen to when he’s summing up an incident - he’s a slightly over emotional thinker and speaker - but a cut above most of the cringey, ego driven pundits who are more about themselves than the game.

I can't stand him as a pundit. I don't know what it is I'm just not a fan.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used to sit beside him/or his wife and their son in the old East a few years ago and Pat is a really nice bloke passionate about football. His son is autistic and wanted to go to football matches and Pat didn't want to expose him to the Celtic crap, so started taking him to see Hibs. Pat was hooked with the family style club we have here and became a fan, he still acknowledges his boyhood team is Celtic but he hates all the sectarian crap that goes with it, he's not an out and out Hibs fan but he has a soft spot for us and his son is a big Hibby now.

This was what he said when he gave evidence in 2011 to the Scottish Parliament's Justice Committee when they were looking into bigotry in football.

Pat Nevin, who played for Scotland, Motherwell, and Chelsea in the Eighties and Nineties, was sickened when he took his son to Parkhead and Celtic supports burst into IRA songs during the match.
    It wasn't as black and white as just changing your allegiances. The reasons you highlight gives the background to how he ended up a Hibs fan.
    I heard him on Radio 5 last week on Question Time Extra Time, a platform you're unlikely to see "Doddsy" or "Biscuits". Going by the posts he doesn't seem to be everyone's cup of tea, but I like listening to him.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    He also says 'period' at the end of sentences like an American. Which is a hanging offence as far as I'm concerned.

But I defer to those of you who have actually met him that he's not a wee ****
    He speaks English unlike a lot of pundits and seems a decent guy, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    He speaks English unlike a lot of pundits and seems a decent guy, period.
    Arrrgggggh

Left by mutual consent!
    Can't see what there's not to like about him?

Articulate and intelligent pundit who as others have said doesn't set out to be controversial for the sole purpose of getting airtime.

Seems a thoroughly decent guy who did the decent thing and converted to the inclusive non-sectarian original greens... thats obviously not enough for some people on here though

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    Articulate and intelligent pundit who as others have said doesn't set out to be controversial for the sole purpose of getting airtime.

Seems a thoroughly decent guy who did the decent thing and converted to the inclusive non-sectarian original greens... thats obviously not enough for some people on here though
    Agree he is someone you can definitely listen to who has a great degree of knowledge on a whole raft of topics. His experience in football in many different roles such as Players union, player, CEO etc means he can speak from a position of direct experience and doesn't come out with the usual platitudes. Not afraid to comment on areas others wouldnt touch such as sectarianism so he is a huge yes from me. Also seems a perfectly decent guy.

His comments on the Scottish cup final about bumping into older Hibees after the game was also very good.

id say yay! and id say get of the other pundits on bbc scotland who are cringeworthy

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I'm listening to him waxing lyrical about the Champions league. I know he's one of those intelligent professional Hibs fans were all supposed to like, but I just find him massively annoying. Full of himself, takes a lifetime to say very little of substance, and irritating delivery. There's also something about his'used to be a Celt until I noticed the sectarianism and then moved to Hibs' as a bit patronising.

Or is this sacrilege?
    I like him. I have to say there are a huge number of pundits who give me the boak - BBC Scotland are particularly stuffed full of cretins who are given an enormous amount of airtime. You are of course entitled to your opinion. But are there not a large number of others who deserve criticism first, particularly for constant infirm arse-licking, before we get offended by Pat?

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    I think he's sound, and it's nothing to do with him being one of us. The only time I hear him on the radio is when he is on Fighting Talk. He's smart, funny and tells good anecdotes.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

A big Yay from me. Watch him after the 07 League Cup final in the BBC footage. He is almost in tears after SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenSQH View Post
    He was excellent when he spoke at the ST Pats branch meeting. Great guy.

I like the fact that he just blethers away, whilst not downplaying his (many) achievements in football.

At the branch meeting, he dealt with a potentially awkward situation with good grace and humour, and certainly made me feel better after I had difficulty controlling my 'guest' for the evening He also spoke candidly about a tricky time he went through involving one of his sons, which resulted in him agreeing to give the '5-1' gesture on TV, in exchange for a donation to a autism charity. I know, I know but it was all done in good humour

Don’t know him as a person, find him a total pain in the arse as a pundit.

He was ten times better than Stephen Thompson on sportscene, that's not difficult though.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I like him, articulate and doesn't pander to the Old Firm. And a Hibee (convert or not) to boot - what's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    I like Pat, he took himself and his family out of the West Coast sectarianism when he moved back up here - lives in the borders, IIRC.

As to the Hibs stuff, I think his kids initially wanted to go, and he found himself liking scottish football again.

As to a pundit, I like that Pat is intelligent - some dont like him, because he might appear a wee bit of that Glasgow Art School, Postcard Records thing from the 80s.

But some comparisons;

Pat Nevin or Ewan Murray
    Tam McManus or Alan Preston

Theres a pattern
    Whats wrong with Postcard Records? I wish I had been old enough to appreciate the Scottish "indie" scene 😪

I heard him talking about going inter-railing with a few mates in the early 80s. In London they took him to see Simon & Garfunkel and the same night he took them to see The Jesus & Mary Chain which is an interesting contrast!!

Sound man, Sound pundit and a sound judge of which team to support.

Whats not to like. ?

I just wish he would face up to the fact he is going bald and get the clippers out for a Phil Mitchell cut ..... The guys one bad day away from turning up on the telly with a combover.

Apart from that I don't mind him

Left by mutual consent!
    Is he still a season ticket holder?

Quote Originally Posted by KerPlunk View Post
    Fair point but when the “other pundits” are those titans of knowledge and commentary such as Billy Dodds, Alan Preston, Chick Dung, Gordon Smith etc., it kind of puts Nevin into perspective.
    He does come across as a smug wee bugger at times.
    To be fair he has a lot to be smug about.

Who would you prefer Alan Preston, Derek Ferguson, or Willie Miller?

He is a street ahead of any of the the other Scottish analysts with the possible exception of Michael Stewart.

The only one from England who is better in my view is Gary Neville, although in grates on me to admit it.

Promising Youngster
    Massive Yay. Genuine and down to earth guy. Love listening to him. Lives in same town as me and know his wife, son and daughter. A nicer family you will not meet.

He bought my auld man a pint at France '98. My auld man wisnae one to be starstruck or impressed by fitba players (until he met Joe Baker in the Jock's Lodge one night in the late '80s after a derby win, that is) but he said Pat was a great lad and good company.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    id say yay! and id say get of the other pundits on bbc scotland who are cringeworthy
    Haven't seen him on BBC Scotland in ages.

Very good pundit IMO. The “pundits” on Sportsound - Miller, Young, Ferguson, Preston, Dodds etc are dreadful.

For a job where speaking is actually quite important, how on earth Derek Ferguson gets on the radio is a joke. His use of the English language is non existent.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Yay!

He's one of those guys I'd really like to have a good blether with, a very knowledgeable person indeed, but I do think he can be really annoying in his analysis at times.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Seen him a few times at gigs, so we share musical tastes. Chatted to him just the once for the duration of a pint at a Camera Obscura show and the chat was more Cocteau Twins and Jesus & Marychain than 4-4-2 and playing the number 10 role. A pleasant guy.
    I knew he was a Cocteau Twins fan but if he also likes Camera Obscura then it's a double thumbs up from me.

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    A definite yay, most of the pundits on the beeb appear very biased in who they support and it shows a lot of the time, pat always gives a balanced view. Willie Miller is a fud and with preston it sound like he has a sock in his mouth which is choking him and I have this image of him spraying slaver everywhere when he talks, hearts twat