hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Players who failed elsewhere but became great

I risk being called a cynic, but I'm finding it a bit difficult to fully embrace the heady optimism which the arrival of Scott Allan has engendered.

Suddenly, a player who has failed to consistently impress anywhere in his career, is a "good fit" at Hibs and, for the first time ever, is in line for international honours. He's a luxury, an enigmatic pickpocket who needs to be indulged.

Well, maybe he is, I certainly hope so, but my past memory of players with "complicated" careers, is not particularly positive.

For example, Liam Miller started well and offered great hope under Yogi, but fell away badly.

Because of a shocking disciplinary record
    which really should have ended his career years earlier, Chic Charnley came to Hibs on a pay as you play deal.

He did quite well at first. He was very skilful and good to watch to the extent that there were calls for him to be called up for Scotland. What happened? He got sent off again for fighting with a teammate.

Even Anthony Stokes brought trouble to the dressing room the first time he was at Easter Road, and we all know how his Hibs career ended.

So, my experience of footballers is that they don't readily change, but I'm open to the possibility that there are exceptions.

Are there many examples of players who have settled down and proved the doubters wrong by achieving their potential?
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 23-02-2018 at 08:16 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I risk being called a cynic, but I'm finding it a bit difficult to fully embrace the heady optimism which the arrival of Scott Allan has engendered.

Suddenly, a player who has failed to consistently impress anywhere in his career, is a "good fit" at Hibs and, for the first time ever, is in line for international honours. He's a luxury, an enigmatic pickpocket who needs to be indulged.

Well, maybe he is, I certainly hope so, but my past memory of players with "complicated" careers, is not particularly positive.

For example, Liam Miller started well and offered great hope under Yogi, but fell away badly.

which really should have ended his career years earlier, Chic Charnley came to Hibs on a pay as you play deal.

He did quite well at first. He was very skilful and good to watch to the extent that there were calls for him to be called up for Scotland. What happened? He got sent off again for fighting with a teammate.

Even Anthony Stokes brought trouble to the dressing room the first time he was at Easter Road, and we all know how his Hibs career ended.

So, my experience of footballers is that they don't change, but I'm open to the possibility that there are exceptions.

Are there many examples of players who have settled down and proved the doubters wrong by achieving their potential?
    Griffiths probably.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Scott Allan did brilliantly for Hibs the last time he was here, why not again. His talent is unquestionable.

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    Griffiths probably.
    I understand why you say that, but his career has actually been fairly linear.

He didn't make it at Wolves, but he's been successful everywhere else.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

He's a luxury, an enigmatic pickpocket who needs to be indulged.
    With respect, that's pish

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    With respect, that's pish
    I'm quoting others.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    I'm quoting others.
    Sorry, that wasn't obvious. I haven't read the Scott Allan thread if that makes any difference.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    I understand why you say that, but his career has actually been fairly linear.

He didn't make it at Wolves, but he's been successful everywhere else.
    You're right, he hasn't failed anywhere. I was more answering the "Are there many examples of players who have settled down and proved the doubters wrong by achieving their potential" question I think.

I think Griffiths has done that his whole career

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar

So, my experience of footballers is that they don't readily change, but I'm open to the possibility that there are exceptions.

I don't remember that.

Was he not just booked for shouting at Joe McLaughlin after a misplaced pass? It seemed that it went on for weeks right after we signed him 'one booking means a lengthy ban' and he got away with a few meaty challenges in games before a soft booking for a wee shouting match with a team mate.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutdim View Post
    I don't remember that.

Was he not just booked for shouting at Joe McLaughlin after a misplaced pass? It seemed that it went on for weeks right after we signed him 'one booking means a lengthy ban' and he got away with a few meaty challenges in games before a soft booking for a wee shouting match with a team mate.
    That's pretty much my memory although I thought he had been squaring up to JM.

Scott Allan won the divisions player of the season with us first time around and has been a standout in his two appearances since coming back. Cynic is correct.

That's pretty much my memory although I thought he had been squaring up to JM.
    Yep, it was more than shouting, there was a bit pf pushing and shoving as well. He didn't get sent off though, it was just a booking.

I don't really get where you are going hibbyradge. That's two threads you are on at the moment making this case against anyone getting excited about scott Allan.

He was brilliant in his one season with us and turned our team upside down for the better in only two games back. He has gone on record to say how happy he is to be back and the joy in his game and work rate matches this.

Why would you not be happy about this? I really hope Leanne is already working on a way to keep him and build the team around him.
    Last edited by keep the faith; 23-02-2018 at 03:29 PM.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar

Paul Hartley didn't fit at Hibs, but did well elsewhere. Not too much of a stretch to think that Scott Allan could be the reverse of that. Didn't he impress at Dundee United?

@hibs.net private member

You're right that footballers don't readilly change, but I don't recall Scott Allan doing anything wrong first time round at Hibs beyond the sin of ambition. Bigger clubs came calling and he wanted to take the money and/or believed he was ready for a bigger stage. He went and we got a fee - some fans took the hump but being long in the tooth and having seen it all before I didn't think all that much of it.

The move to Celtic didn't work out well for him as he's played precious little football this last few years. Now he's back at Hibs, his interviews seem to indicate a lesson has been learned (as well as perhaps some paychecks banked?) and he's expressed an over-arching desire to play and enjoy his football here at a club which genuinely seems to be a good fit for his talents. I hope that's not just bluster and he genuinely does see a future at Hibs beyond the next enquiry from some more glamorous destination.

Regardless though, the way I see it right now is that Scott Allan is good for Hibs and Hibs is good for Scott Allan, and the result is some great eye-catching football - long may it continue and I'm just going to sit back and enjoy it.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Was thinking of suggesting Craig Levein, but in his case it was the other way round. Peaked at Cowdenbeath and won F all since.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Tony Cascarino decent for millwall terrible at celtic and Chelsea but goals galore at Marseille and Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    I don't really get where you are going hibbyradge. That's two threads you are on at the moment making this case against anyone getting excited about scott Allan.

He was brilliant in his one season with us and turned our team upside down for the better in only two games back. He has gone on record to say how happy he is to be back and the joy in his game and wirk rate matches this.

Why would you not be happy about this? I really hope Leanne is already working on a way to keep him and build the team around him.
    I am extremely happy with how he has performed so far and I really want him to keep producing more of the same.

I've had so many horrible disappointments with Hibs in the past, maybe I'm just trying to insulate myself from any further disappointment. You know, "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst".

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    You're right that footballers don't readilly change, but I don't recall Scott Allan doing anything wrong first time round at Hibs beyond the sin of ambition. Bigger clubs came calling and he wanted to take the money and/or believed he was ready for a bigger stage. He went and we got a fee - some fans took the hump but being long in the tooth and having seen it all before I didn't think all that much of it.

The move to Celtic didn't work out well for him as he's played precious little football this last few years. Now he's back at Hibs, his interviews seem to indicate a lesson has been learned (as well as perhaps some paychecks banked?) and he's expressed an over-arching desire to play and enjoy his football here at a club which genuinely seems to be a good fit for his talents. I hope that's not just bluster and he genuinely does see a future at Hibs beyond the next enquiry from some more glamorous destination.

Regardless though, the way I see it right now is that Scott Allan is good for Hibs and Hibs is good for Scott Allan, and the result is some great eye-catching football - long may it continue and I'm just going to sit back and enjoy it.
    Couldn't agree more. I'm always amazed when I see people on here referring to players or managers who have left us in the past, and are still angry about it - it's just part of football.

Of course the same labels have never been applied to other players and managers who have left other clubs and come to us, under similar circumstances.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    John Robertson for Hearts springs to mind, he never really set the heather on fire elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    John Robertson for Hearts springs to mind, he never really set the heather on fire elsewhere.
    So too McCoist he only really performed when he was getting paid tax free

There was the Norwegian guy for Celtic (Brattbak?). Banged goals in before and after his spell at Parkhead but didn’t live up to his hype while there. Although, ironically, he did score the league clinching goal in what I recall was his last season with them.

First Team Breakthrough
    James Collins.... scores goals everywhere (still not sure how that actually happens!) 🙈

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Vaz Te

Left by mutual consent!
    Beniuseless at Hearts

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by villahibs View Post
    James Collins.... scores goals everywhere (still not sure how that actually happens!) 🙈
    Was a descent player in fairness..just didn't score.

First Team Breakthrough
    Matt Doherty! Absolutely strolling the championship with Wolves...

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    George Best was nothing till he joined Hibernian, he couldnt drink either

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    Was a descent player in fairness..just didn't score.
    Always seemed so slow and awkward. He's certainly not the worst I've seen, but I'm surprised he's consistently managed to score at a decent level in England.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Jim Leighton earned redemption at Hibs.