hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Zenit v Celtic

Another 2COTSA debate

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This better for Scottish football if they went through is utter crap. Long term they will just get better and better but because we all get a little slice of a huge pie we should want them to go through? Ram it, I want Hibs competing In Europe couldn’t care less for Celtic or The Rangers and they are both horrible clubs.
    It’s not even remotely true either. The next step up the ladder is 2 champions league places and we are absolutely miles away from that place. I hope they get pumped time after time after time. Only thing that will help Hibs long term is our own teams ranking. If we win a tie or two we will slowly get more favourable draws due to better seeding.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Delighted the Tims were brought back to Earth with a resounding crash tonight. Far too long have they bullishly crowed about how great they are - some of their arrogant fans even said without a hint of embarrassment that they must be amongst the favourites to win the Europa League!

Celtc progressing tonight would have benefited Celtc and their bank accounts alone. Gave them more spending power, and continued their capability to rape all other clubs in Scotland when it comes to their own talent. So long as the financial gap continues to be stretched, Celtc will pish all over the Scottish league for years to come, so forgive me for not rooting on them to continue widening that gap. I'm aware they're going to pish all over the league for the foreseeable anyway, but I'll NEVER cheer on them or their bigoted cousins in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Delighted the Tims were brought back to Earth with a resounding crash tonight. Far too long have they bullishly crowed about how great they are - some of their arrogant fans even said without a hint of embarrassment that they must be amongst the favourites to win the Europa League!

Celtc progressing tonight would have benefited Celtc and their bank accounts alone. Gave them more spending power, and continued their capability to rape all other clubs in Scotland when it comes to their own talent. So long as the financial gap continues to be stretched, Celtc will pish all over the Scottish league for years to come, so forgive me for not rooting on them to continue widening that gap. I'm aware they're going to pish all over the league for the foreseeable anyway, but I'll NEVER cheer on them or their bigoted cousins in Europe.
    Amen to that brother.

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    It’s not even remotely true either. The next step up the ladder is 2 champions league places and we are absolutely miles away from that place. I hope they get pumped time after time after time. Only thing that will help Hibs long term is our own teams ranking. If we win a tie or two we will slowly get more favourable draws due to better seeding.
    Couldn’t agree more 👍🏼

Glad they got pumped

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Nae time to read all previous, watching them last week in Spain wi nae volume, I continually thought how precarious their position was, a 1-0 at home, goal but far from convincing, away tie to come in hostile environment etc! Later, seeing & hearing Scottish “press” & “commentary” ye’d think they were world beaters. Same wi Sutton the night. Pretty much every one of these “press” “TV” are too blinded by being total wishful thinking hopefull(less) blinkered unobjective supporters of both cheeks, that they just can’t or won’t report it as it is! Last weeks result for tic was not good, very precarious in fact, but the meant to be media made it out to be huge. Half time against a team just finished 3 months winter break, mega millions squad, Mancini manager, going back to Russia for 2nd leg, but they were all euphoric at the huge 1-0 win! Media, who support both cheeks, do this all the time! Try watching objectively, with the volume off, thinking neutrally ya biased trumpets, see what neutrals see, & maybe you won’t lead yourselves & your not sharpest tools into a frenzy of expectation when in reality even with your half of all the glory hunters throughout Scotland & Ireland N&S, are just not good enough. But main point, virtually EVERY media source you read/watch/hear about 2 cheeks are unable to be objective because they are so desperate as supporters & have the teams they support do well. Hahaha.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm_cabbaged View Post
    Really? I hate the ****. 2 goals in the league cup and a goal line clearance in injury time in the league, that was painful.
    He's an animal and made a shocking challenge on Ambrose in the LC Semi

Nothing more to add to that post, you've said it all

"...the Tims..." - you and others make valid points about the increasing financial disparity every time Celtic go further in Europe. I see that, although the gap is already so wide that I don't think that it makes a significant difference, and like it or not they're the only team presently with any chance of helping our already poor co-efficient. But, when you start your argument with "..the Tims..", you immediately damage your credibility - that is Hunnish language when used disparagingly. I regard myself as a 'Tim'. Hibbies come from various backgrounds, and should be respectful of that fact when speaking to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    "...the Tims..." - you and others make valid points about the increasing financial disparity every time Celtic go further in Europe. I see that, although the gap is already so wide that I don't think that it makes a significant difference, and like it or not they're the only team presently with any chance of helping our already poor co-efficient. But, when you start your argument with "..the Tims..", you immediately damage your credibility - that is Hunnish language when used disparagingly. I regard myself as a 'Tim'. Hibbies come from various backgrounds, and should be respectful of that fact when speaking to each other.
    You surely can't have a go at the posters credability for saying "tims" then go on to say "hunnish"? You regard yourself as a Celtic fan? The term has nothing to do with irish Catholics
    Last edited by SirDavidsNapper; 23-02-2018 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    You surely can't have a go at the posters credability for saying "tims" then go on to say "hunnish"? You regard yourself as a Celtic fan? The term has nothing to do with irish Catholics
    'Tim' is the shortened version of 'Tim Malloy' which has always been used as a slang term for Irish Catholics, or those of that origin, not Celtic fans. I know lots of 'Tims' who don't support Celtic (or Hibs for that matter). Using it in a derogatory fashion is something I'd expect from Huns or Diet Huns - and no, I have no problem with that description of TRFC fans, or the wannabees amongst the Hearts support. No Hibbies i know (regardless of background) use the term when speaking negatively about Celtic. I have had plenty cause to have a dash at Celtic, but never linking it to their Irish origins. I'll leave it at that, as I'm in danger of getting angry and cannae be bothered (especially since there is little or nothing to get angry about at the moment, when things are going so well for us, on and off the park).

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Amen to that brother.
    Oh dear! How aulds yer granny?

'Tim' is the shortened version of 'Tim Malloy' which has always been used as a slang term for Irish Catholics, or those of that origin, not Celtic fans. I know lots of 'Tims' who don't support Celtic (or Hibs for that matter). Using it in a derogatory fashion is something I'd expect from Huns or Diet Huns - and no, I have no problem with that description of TRFC fans, or the wannabees amongst the Hearts support. No Hibbies i know (regardless of background) use the term when speaking negatively about Celtic. I have had plenty cause to have a dash at Celtic, but never linking it to their Irish origins. I'll leave it at that, as I'm in danger of getting angry and cannae be bothered (especially since there is little or nothing to get angry about at the moment, when things are going so well for us, on and off the park).
    I just refer to Celtic as Celtic myself, or the other half the ugly sisters. I simply wanted you lot to lose as I’m a hibs fan and have zero interest in how far Celtic go. I don’t like yous or The Rangers (not you as in a person) I feel the less money you lot get the better for everyone else regardless of how far away you already are. For me everything in Scottish football has to go past Celtic or The Rangers it’s incredible the **** the rest of us put up with.

Maybe I'm missing something but i thought every team in the league gets £400k if they had got through? Odd that we think we don't need that?

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    I just refer to Celtic as Celtic myself, or the other half the ugly sisters. I simply wanted you lot to lose as I’m a hibs fan and have zero interest in how far Celtic go. I don’t like yous or The Rangers (not you as in a person) I feel the less money you lot get the better for everyone else regardless of how far away you already are. For me everything in Scottish football has to go past Celtic or The Rangers it’s incredible the **** the rest of us put up with.
    Why are you referring to him as if he was a Celtc supporter??? Just wondering.....

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something but i thought every team in the league gets £400k if they had got through? Odd that we think we don't need that?
    I’d rather Hibs got into Europe than hoping Celtic go through. Also I’m sure that’s not what every club gets it’s alot lower than that is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Why are you referring to him as if he was a Celtc supporter??? Just wondering.....
    I thought he was? If not I apologise I’m not long up 😁

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    I thought he was? If not I apologise I’m not long up 😁
    I think you need to read his post again

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    I think you need to read his post again
    I think I need a strong coffee... Apologies SideBurns if you are still reading this thread 👍🏼

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Just me that doesn’t really care either way?

I’ll always find it funny seeing rantic or hearts get beat but if they’d won I’d have enjoyed the benefits it may have brought.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Net result we are no better off than any of our competitors in this league and a lot more poorer than the rich one. It’s like all the kids in the class being given a sweety and the rich kid been given the rest of the packet. Would rather not have one. Sod Celtic!

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    Net result we are no better off than any of our competitors in this league and a lot more poorer than the rich one. It’s like all the kids in the class being given a sweety and the rich kid been given the rest of the packet. Would rather not have one. Sod Celtic!
    Correct, it’s not like it is helping us pull away from the rest so what’s the point? I hope they get pumped silly in every game in Europe.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    It has.

The Tim Malloys were a gang in the East End of Glasgow. They were the Catholic equivalent of the Billy Boys.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 23-02-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Well, as a Scot I'm naturally unhappy that our representatives are no longer in Europe. I can't understand anyone not feeling that way apart from the most bigoted of Rangers fans.

Old-fashioned I suppose.

Personally I couldn't care less about Celtic getting pinged out. A fat bloated club, drunk on money and power, full of its own self importance and with some of the most cringey fans around. So they got beat? Meh.....

Whilst I don't have the "hope they get pumped" view I have with Rangers and Herz but as far as wishing them well goes I reserve that for the likes of Aberdeen, Dundee United (back in the day), Motherwell or St Johnstone.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I'll take that under advisement - if you're offended by my use of the word Tim, I do apologise and I'll endeavour to avoid using it on here (as you're not the first to pull me up for it).

But some context. I come from a mixed family - on the one side, is a family of passionate Celtic fans (our surname is synonymous with one of their more legendary players and of Irish Catholic orgin). On the other side is a family that are died-in-the-wool Rangers fans - my grandfather was a Grand Master of the Masonic Lodge, and my uncle was a member of the Orange Lodge (until he saw sense later on in life and actually married a lovely catholic girl in my aunt). With those dynamics, you might understand why I never elected to pin my colours to any side (in terms of either religion or football).

The Rangers side of my family take significant exception to the word hun. I know there's some crafty debate around the reasons people use it - some people suddenly become experts in word etymology, and will give you a history lesson on Iranian and Persian linguistics, and come around to the hun horde of savages and barbarians. And I do believe some people innocently use the term in that way. But there's a large group of people out there that know full well they use it as a sectarian slur - to completely deny its application as a sectarian word is either willful ignorance or a bare-faced lie. On the other side of that divide, my uncles (ST holders at Parkhead, who travel every week) refer to themselves and their own supporters as Tims. It's a term that's been reappropriated (much in the same way that they've reappropriated fenian) as an affectionate term for their 'green gang' of Celtic fans. Now you're quite correct that I wasn't using it affectionately, but my usage I don't view as sectarian. I've always used it as a slight against their faux-Irish diaspora that they peddle so hard. I am aware of the historical connotations of the Tim Malloys, but my usage of it is sod all to do with any religious affilitation (again, I hate all religion equally!).

Nil by Mouth do agree with you that it's passively used as a sectarian term, in spite of any reappropriation that Celtic fans have done, so I'll avoid usage of it on here incase it offends any of our Irish Catholic followers

But I still absolutely ****ing hate Celtc FC, and I'm still delighted they're out of Europe

Left by mutual consent!
    Takeit up your pals at Celtic then https://youtu.be/tgraNfRzAGs here's a wee example.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    I'll take that under advisement - if you're offended by my use of the word Tim, I do apologise and I'll endeavour to avoid using it on here (as you're not the first to pull me up for it).

But some context. I come from a mixed family - on the one side, is a family of passionate Celtic fans (our surname is synonymous with one of their more legendary players and of Irish Catholic orgin). On the other side is a family that are died-in-the-wool Rangers fans - my grandfather was a Grand Master of the Masonic Lodge, and my uncle was a member of the Orange Lodge (until he saw sense later on in life and actually married a lovely catholic girl in my aunt). With those dynamics, you might understand why I never elected to pin my colours to any side (in terms of either religion or football).

The Rangers side of my family take significant exception to the word hun. I know there's some crafty debate around the reasons people use it - some people suddenly become experts in word etymology, and will give you a history lesson on Iranian and Persian linguistics, and come around to the hun horde of savages and barbarians. And I do believe some people innocently use the term in that way. But there's a large group of people out there that know full well they use it as a sectarian slur - to completely deny its application as a sectarian word is either willful ignorance or a bare-faced lie. On the other side of that divide, my uncles (ST holders at Parkhead, who travel every week) refer to themselves and their own supporters as Tims. It's a term that's been reappropriated (much in the same way that they've reappropriated fenian) as an affectionate term for their 'green gang' of Celtic fans. Now you're quite correct that I wasn't using it affectionately, but my usage I don't view as sectarian. I've always used it as a slight against their faux-Irish diaspora that they peddle so hard. I am aware of the historical connotations of the Tim Malloys, but my usage of it is sod all to do with any religious affilitation (again, I hate all religion equally!).

Nil by Mouth do agree with you that it's passively used as a sectarian term, in spite of any reappropriation that Celtic fans have done, so I'll avoid usage of it on here incase it offends any of our Irish Catholic followers

But I still absolutely ****ing hate Celtc FC, and I'm still delighted they're out of Europe
    I feel like you’re being given a raw deal here.

As nil by mouth would argue that tim is sectarian so too would they argue that Hun is sectarian.

So for the poster to pull you up because using tim is Hunnish behaviour and sectarian, unless I am missing something, that is pretty ironic.

‘Hunnish behaviour’ = sectarian

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I’m susceptible to wishing Scottish clubs well in Europe as we need to improve our game's standing and this is one way to do that.

However this is a long way from actively supporting them and I am not at all bothered that Celtc got pumped.

It might deflate Brendan’s ego a little but only temporarily. I doubt he will learn from it.