hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Zenit v Celtic

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It has.
    The Tim Malloys were a gang in the East End of Glasgow. They were the Catholic equivalent of the Billy Boys.
    My name is lapsedhibee and I would like to publicly apologise for not covering my ears when some Hibs fans were like "Am no a billy am a tim" in the 1960s.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    I find this apparent outpouring of joy in the result a bit sad. When I were a lad, I wanted all the Scottish teams to do well in Europe apart from the Huns, who have always been a special case. I realise I might have ignited another "2 cheeks of the same arse" debate; plenty Hibbies still seem to hold to that view, despite events of recent years and personal experience which contradicts it, which is strange. I'm not gutted Celtic are out but I'd preferred they'd gone through.
    I think it's entirely possible to be happy enough if they get through but also find it hilariously funny when they lose a game and it's a big outcry about the state of Scottish football bla bla bla.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Squeaky bums at Arsenal then

SwedishHibee (?) will be pulling his drawers down right now lol.......
    Was very emotional last night, yes!!
    If you had told me 3 years ago that I would be standing in a ground watching Hibs win the SC, then watching Ostersunds beat Arsenal away- I wouldn't have even took an 100 million bet!!!

Life can be very beautiful and miracles do happen.
    Seriously, it doesn't get any better than this.. Well maybe, Sweden winning the World cup!!!!!!!!

Arsenal get Gattusos AC Milan... very tough assignment.

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    'Tim' is the shortened version of 'Tim Malloy' which has always been used as a slang term for Irish Catholics, or those of that origin, not Celtic fans. I know lots of 'Tims' who don't support Celtic (or Hibs for that matter). Using it in a derogatory fashion is something I'd expect from Huns or Diet Huns - and no, I have no problem with that description of TRFC fans, or the wannabees amongst the Hearts support. No Hibbies i know (regardless of background) use the term when speaking negatively about Celtic. I have had plenty cause to have a dash at Celtic, but never linking it to their Irish origins. I'll leave it at that, as I'm in danger of getting angry and cannae be bothered (especially since there is little or nothing to get angry about at the moment, when things are going so well for us, on and off the park).
    It's not a term I ever use... but a Celtic fan used it to describe himself to me last week when I asked if he was a Hibby. He replied "naw am I f***, I'm a Tim through and through".. something along those lines.

I don't know the history or the ins and outs of it's appropriateness but I know some of them are happy to refer to themselves as Tims, whereas I can't think Huns will ever refer to themselves as.. well.. Huns.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Arsenal get Gattusos AC Milan... very tough assignment.
    Milan are brutal as is Rino at managing. Comes with the glamour of a top name but shouldnhammer them. Great draw.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    It's not a term I ever use... but a Celtic fan used it to describe himself to me last week when I asked if he was a Hibby. He replied "naw am I f***, I'm a Tim through and through".. something along those lines.

I don't know the history or the ins and outs of it's appropriateness but I know some of them are happy to refer to themselves as Tims, whereas I can't think Huns will ever refer to themselves as.. well.. Huns.
    Yep, see the tiny tims post where I posted the video from. Celtic apologist comes to mind unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee16 View Post
    Milan are brutal as is Rino at managing. Comes with the glamour of a top name but shouldnhammer them. Great draw.
    You must have missed the last month or so. Won 6 Draw 2 Lost 0 in serie a since the turn of the year and Gattuso seems to be doing better than anyone expected. They will play both Rome clubs in a week before the Arsenal game. Their big problems are off the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    Net result we are no better off than any of our competitors in this league and a lot more poorer than the rich one. It’s like all the kids in the class being given a sweety and the rich kid been given the rest of the packet. Would rather not have one. Sod Celtic!
    No we are given 400k.....400k that can be used to do essential work around the stadium, go towards the new training pitch. Its madness to not want extra income into the club no matter what any other clubs are doing.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I would have liked to see them progress, always had a soft spot for them and see nothing wrong in wishing them well in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    I would have liked to see them progress, always had a soft spot for them and see nothing wrong in wishing them well in Europe.
    Is this because of the Liverpool connection Scouse? Can’t say I’ve ever had a soft spot for Celtic being a Hibs fan. But I know most Liverpool fans when picking a Scottish side pick Celtic!

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    No we are given 400k.....400k that can be used to do essential work around the stadium, go towards the new training pitch. Its madness to not want extra income into the club no matter what any other clubs are doing.
    Exactly right and whatever Rod Petrie's critics think about him, I'm grateful for his ability to separate the emotion from the business side of running Hibs and glad he is with us. Fans (for the most part) can't see past the emotion of supporting Hibs.....

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Is this because of the Liverpool connection Scouse? Can’t say I’ve ever had a soft spot for Celtic being a Hibs fan. But I know most Liverpool fans when picking a Scottish side pick Celtic!
    Yeah TC, as a kid when Dalglish signed for Liverpool I became more aware of Celtic and began to follow them with interest.

Yeah TC, as a kid when Dalglish signed for Liverpool I became more aware of Celtic and began to follow them with interest.
    I knew there was a reason why I dislike Liverpool!

Ah right, thought it would be something like that. 👍🏼

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Celtc & Rangers would be off like a shot without a backwards glance if the English leagues would have them. Any benefit Scottish football gets from them is is a by-product rather than any genuine care they have for Scottish football outwith themselves.

I don’t get particularly worked up either way, but don’t wish either any luck in Europe.

I think I need a strong coffee... Apologies SideBurns if you are still reading this thread 👍🏼
    No problem at all TC - I took myself out of the forum for the duration of the working day as I was aware I was getting wound up and needed to cool down a bit (a couple of pints at lunchtime did the trick)!

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I'll take that under advisement - if you're offended by my use of the word Tim, I do apologise and I'll endeavour to avoid using it on here (as you're not the first to pull me up for it).

But some context. I come from a mixed family - on the one side, is a family of passionate Celtic fans (our surname is synonymous with one of their more legendary players and of Irish Catholic orgin). On the other side is a family that are died-in-the-wool Rangers fans - my grandfather was a Grand Master of the Masonic Lodge, and my uncle was a member of the Orange Lodge (until he saw sense later on in life and actually married a lovely catholic girl in my aunt). With those dynamics, you might understand why I never elected to pin my colours to any side (in terms of either religion or football).

The Rangers side of my family take significant exception to the word hun. I know there's some crafty debate around the reasons people use it - some people suddenly become experts in word etymology, and will give you a history lesson on Iranian and Persian linguistics, and come around to the hun horde of savages and barbarians. And I do believe some people innocently use the term in that way. But there's a large group of people out there that know full well they use it as a sectarian slur - to completely deny its application as a sectarian word is either willful ignorance or a bare-faced lie. On the other side of that divide, my uncles (ST holders at Parkhead, who travel every week) refer to themselves and their own supporters as Tims. It's a term that's been reappropriated (much in the same way that they've reappropriated fenian) as an affectionate term for their 'green gang' of Celtic fans. Now you're quite correct that I wasn't using it affectionately, but my usage I don't view as sectarian. I've always used it as a slight against their faux-Irish diaspora that they peddle so hard. I am aware of the historical connotations of the Tim Malloys, but my usage of it is sod all to do with any religious affilitation (again, I hate all religion equally!).

Nil by Mouth do agree with you that it's passively used as a sectarian term, in spite of any reappropriation that Celtic fans have done, so I'll avoid usage of it on here incase it offends any of our Irish Catholic followers

But I still absolutely ****ing hate Celtc FC, and I'm still delighted they're out of Europe
    Nae bother Sylar. I can now see how your very mixed background gives you a somewhat unique insight into the situation, and accept that you didn't mean to use the description in a sectarian fashion. Still don't agree that calling Sevco fans 'Huns' is sectarian though - if it wasn't for their bigoted history of hatred for and discrimination against Catholics, they would be just like any other team. The day that changes is the day I'll stop calling them 'Huns'. As for Celtic - as the song goes, "If it wisnae for the Hibees you'd be Huns". Never let them forget!

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee16 View Post
    I think you are in for a shock mate, Milan have been very good recently.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Police officer dead after clashes between Bilbao and Spartak fans
    Just reading the Spanish police arrested a Spartak fan in Bilbao last night who is suspected of putting that England fan into a coma at the Marseille riots in 2016. Faces fifteen years in jail in France.

@hibs.net private member renato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    You must have missed the last month or so. Won 6 Draw 2 Lost 0 in serie a since the turn of the year and Gattuso seems to be doing better than anyone expected. They will play both Rome clubs in a week before the Arsenal game. Their big problems are off the pitch.
    Exactly. Wonderful draw, both teams will fancy it and I might even be able to squeeze a trip down to the Emirates too.

Get in, mon the Meelan!

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by renato View Post
    Exactly. Wonderful draw, both teams will fancy it and I might even be able to squeeze a trip down to the Emirates too.

Get in, mon the Meelan!

I think Arsenal will fancy it more , Heavy favourites

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    I think Arsenal will fancy it more , Heavy favourites
    Keep your money in your pocket there chief

I’m as surprised as anyone at how well Milan are doing lately, let’s hope Wenger has the same attitude as you as they’ll get a wee shock

50/50.

Keep your money in your pocket there chief

I’m as surprised as anyone at how well Milan are doing lately, let’s hope Wenger has the same attitude as you as they’ll get a wee shock

50/50.

Ken me Whatever i predict the opposite happens

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Ken me Whatever i predict the opposite happens

Haha, feel like that myself lately! Will be some game though, two heavyweights..

Haha, feel like that myself lately! Will be some game though, two heavyweights..

Be looking forward to those 2 games massively