hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 6 split

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    The split is based on last years league placings so Killie and us were not expected to be top 6 this season. That is why I reckon those will be the teams that go to Ibrox again.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Surely if one team is having to play more away games than home games it should be Rangers? They're getting the benefit of having played all the top half at home twice and a couple of them 3 times, they can surely then be the one to play more away games than home games to even that out..

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The split is based on last years league placings so Killie and us were not expected to be top 6 this season. That is why I reckon those will be the teams that go to Ibrox again.
    If that happened another team would have to come to Easter Road three times.

United we stand here....

Will we def get 19 home games?

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    If that happened another team would have to come to Easter Road three times.
    Which could only be hearts or Aberdeen.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
    Surely we must get 19 home games. I’m not sure what the income for 1 game is, but if you take an average of around 18000 fans, it must be a right few quid we’d lose by only playing 18 games. They’d have to offer a refund for season ticket holders and hospitality.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Which could only be hearts or Aberdeen.
    Both of whom wouldn’t be happy about coming to Easter Road three times.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Surely we must get 19 home games. I’m not sure what the income for 1 game is, but if you take an average of around 18000 fans, it must be a right few quid we’d lose by only playing 18 games. They’d have to offer a refund for season ticket holders and hospitality.
    They wouldn’t have sold hospitality and I doubt they’d refund ST.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Why would Hibs "have to" offer a refund on STs? This is not of Hibs doing. Personally I wouldn't want a refund, I didn't buy a ST as any kind of saving and have already missed two home matches anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I think one club will play one game less? Could be us.
    I've just looked at it and it looks like you're correct. These are the fixtures that every team would be due post-split, if the top six remains as it is, to ensure all teams finish with 19 home and 19 away matches. In brackets, these are the fixtures which should take place to allow all teams to have an even split of home and away fixtures against the other teams in the top six;

Celtic - 3 home and 2 away (H - Rangers, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock) (A-Hibs, Hearts)
    Rangers - 2 home and 3 away (H - None) (A - Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Kilmarnock)
    Aberdeen - 3 home and 2 away (H - Rangers, Hibs, Hearts) (A - Celtic, Kilmarnock)
    Hibs - 3 home and 2 away (H - Celtic, Rangers, Kilmarnock) (A - Aberdeen, Hearts)
    Hearts - 3 home and 2 away (H - Celtic, Rangers, Hibs (A - Aberdeen, Kilmarnock)
    Kilmarnock - 2 home and 3 away (H - Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts) (A - Celtic, Hibs)

Fairest way;

Celtic

Home

Rangers
    Aberdeen
    Kilmarnock

Away

Hibs
    Hearts

Rangers

Home

Hearts
    Kilmarnock

Away

Celtic
    Aberdeen
    Hibs

Aberdeen

Home

Rangers
    Hibs
    Hearts

Away

Celtic
    Kilmarnock

Hibs

Home

Celtic
    Rangers
    Kilmarnock

Away

Aberdeen
    Hearts

Hearts

Home

Celtic
    Hibs

Away

Aberdeen
    Rangers
    Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock

Home

Aberdeen
    Hearts

Away

Celtic
    Rangers
    Hibs

As you can see, Hearts are the team that's missed out on the extra home game but the two games they will have at home will be "Category A" fixtures so that should make up for it. The only home fixture they're missing out on is at home to Rangers but that's evened out by the fact that they benefitted from a game against Rangers at Murrayfield earlier in the season, when they got an attendance that was well in excess of the number that could have attended, had it been at Tynecastle.

Assuming the top six stays at it is, that's how I would arrange the fixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Why would Hibs "have to" offer a refund on STs? This is not of Hibs doing. Personally I wouldn't want a refund, I didn't buy a ST as any kind of saving and have already missed two home matches anyway
    I wouldn’t want a refund either, but legally I would imagine they would have to. You can’t sell tickets for something and then not put the event on. I agree completely that it’s not our fault, but even without refunding season tickets, it would cost us the sort of money that could mean the difference between signing a decent player and not signing one. Between 6 and 7k paying punters adds up to an amount we’d miss badly.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    They wouldn’t have sold hospitality and I doubt they’d refund ST.
    Sorry I meant to say the loss of hospitality revenue.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    I wouldn’t want a refund either, but legally I would imagine they would have to. You can’t sell tickets for something and then not put the event on. I agree completely that it’s not our fault, but even without refunding season tickets, it would cost us the sort of money that could mean the difference between signing a decent player and not signing one. Between 6 and 7k paying punters adds up to an amount we’d miss badly.
    Doubt Hibs would offer a refund as it is likely we buy a season ticket for all home league games without a specified number.

@hibs.net private member
    By the way can anyone say if it would make a difference if Motherwell pipped Hearts or Killie?

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    By the way can anyone say if it would make a difference if Motherwell pipped Hearts or Killie?
    There'd be less songs about fenian blood

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I don't remember when I got my ST that it guaranteed X amount of games. I could be wrong, as is often the case, but I don't think any number was mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Just talking about it from our own point of view, we would be due to play Motherwell away as opposed to Kilmarnock who we would be due to play at home.

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    A complete farce of a set up. Why dont we just play each other 4 times a season , two home and away games against each team , or expand the league and play every team once home and away. Its a completely needless gimmick that actually achieves nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If Hibs, Aberdeen and The Rangers are fighting it out for second the team that plays an extra away game should be either Kilmarnock or Hearts as they're not going to improve much on where they are anyway.
    That's the way it will pan out I think but it shouldn't come to that. If they make us go to ibrox again there will be one hell of a rammie and I'm sure super Rod will make sure it won't happen. The financial aspect is huge as well with the TV money and of course a place in Europe up for grabs. There is no easy solution to this problem. I wonder who exactly they thought would be the top six. The top five at the moment surely aren't unexpected so surely only maybe St Johnstone would have been down to be there. They will pick the fixture which will cause the least amount of grief I'm sure.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    There'd be less songs about fenian blood

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    As has been said earlier, these post split matches are scheduled largely down to "expected position" based on last years top league finishes.

As such, Killie and ourselves didnt have a top 6 finish, and therefore our fixtures will be skewed.

Which is why the ugly sisters will have an even number of visits to each other, and Hibs/Killie will have to suck it up and visit Ibrox (for example) once again.

So, its not designed to help Sevco, its a stupid design flaw, and shows the split up for the mess it always has been.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I've just looked at it and it looks like you're correct. These are the fixtures that every team would be due post-split, if the top six remains as it is, to ensure all teams finish with 19 home and 19 away matches. In brackets, these are the fixtures which should take place to allow all teams to have an even split of home and away fixtures against the other teams in the top six;

Celtic - 3 home and 2 away (H - Rangers, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock) (A-Hibs, Hearts)
    Rangers - 2 home and 3 away (H - None) (A - Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Kilmarnock)
    Aberdeen - 3 home and 2 away (H - Rangers, Hibs, Hearts) (A - Celtic, Kilmarnock)
    Hibs - 3 home and 2 away (H - Celtic, Rangers, Kilmarnock) (A - Aberdeen, Hearts)
    Hearts - 3 home and 2 away (H - Celtic, Rangers, Hibs (A - Aberdeen, Kilmarnock)
    Kilmarnock - 2 home and 3 away (H - Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts) (A - Celtic, Hibs)

Fairest way;

Celtic

Home

Rangers
    Aberdeen
    Kilmarnock

Away

Hibs
    Hearts

Rangers

Home

Hearts
    Kilmarnock

Away

Celtic
    Aberdeen
    Hibs

Aberdeen

Home

Rangers
    Hibs
    Hearts

Away

Celtic
    Kilmarnock

Hibs

Home

Celtic
    Rangers
    Kilmarnock

Away

Aberdeen
    Hearts

Hearts

Home

Celtic
    Hibs

Away

Aberdeen
    Rangers
    Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock

Home

Aberdeen
    Hearts

Away

Celtic
    Rangers
    Hibs

As you can see, Hearts are the team that's missed out on the extra home game but the two games they will have at home will be "Category A" fixtures so that should make up for it. The only home fixture they're missing out on is at home to Rangers but that's evened out by the fact that they benefitted from a game against Rangers at Murrayfield earlier in the season, when they got an attendance that was well in excess of the number that could have attended, had it been at Tynecastle.

Assuming the top six stays at it is, that's how I would arrange the fixtures.
    Get this sent out to everyone, SFA, SPFL, the press and the clubs.... if this much logic is public knowledge surely they would find it hard to mess up the fixture arrangement themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    Bet your bottom dollar that Sevco were never seeded 13th when they were promoted the Season before 🤔
    What a moment this is!
    It's Liam Henderson to deliver......

The split's not perfect for sure and I would prefer a larger league but overall I'd say it's been a success.

It generally results in more exciting games towards the end of the season for either the title, euro places or relegation, it gives teams something to aim for (mind when Dundee celebrated at Aberdeen when they first made the T6?) and occasionally all 3 of these things can be in play at once.

It makes the end of the season far more exciting than the English Premiership where usually over half the clubs have nothing to play for beyond prize money.

The positive of a larger league though is freshness of opponent and, more importantly, it means having an outside winner like Leicester is more likely as they only have to play the top, wealthy teams twice a season so it's easier to put long runs together and get momentum building up points.

Celtc and Killie at Home.

Big Huns, Little Huns and Sheep Away.

Guaran****ingteed.

Did we not have 20 home games a few seasons back?

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
    We should be due 3 at home and 2 away after the he split. If they send us to Ibrox fine, but as long as we get the 3 at home, I’m ok

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    We should be due 3 at home and 2 away after the he split. If they send us to Ibrox fine, but as long as we get the 3 at home, I’m ok
    That’s doesn’t look like it’s happening given the so called rules. Common sense would suggest it should but we are going to lose one home game and be at Ibrox for 3rd time.

The game at home to Rangers give the cup final, dislike and recent results is one I look forward to as much as a derby. So gutted.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    It's not a given that we'll get them. If the top 6 stays as-is, there will be four teams in that situation and so one team is going to have to suck up an extra away game.

Quote Originally Posted by Doh Rae Me View Post
    The Rangers have played all current other top 6 sides twice at Ibrox. Now our record is fine there but what do think the odds are that Celtic would be drawn, in this unbiased completely random draw, would be drawn there to play 3 times in a season?
    Which begs the obvious question... why ? At the beginning of the season, many would have had Celtic, Aberdeen, Sevco, Hearts, probably Hibs and perhaps Killie as potential top 6 teams - so it was ALWAYS going to end with Sevco getting an unfair advantage post split.

Very much smacks of giving Sevco a leg up financially - allowing them to play the best (and biggest attending) teams at Ibrox twice - as well as a sporting advantage.