hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Simon Brown

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In what way am I at it? Seriously?

I didnt think Brown was all that good but don’t think he was as bad as he’s painted out to be so I’ve asked people for instances where he’s made any real Zibi/Oxley level howlers. I got the ball rolling with the two I can remember and there hasn’t been any more so far. I’m thinking that making big mistakes in two games in around 60 games isn’t all that bad, especially when we finished 3rd in his only full season at the club.
    You don’t have to give multiple specific instances of someone making an absolute **** of it, to prove they were *****.

I couldn’t roll off examples of David Stephens being utterly humpty, but he definitely was.

Simon Brown was a ***** keeper. If you remember that differently from other people then good for you, but it doesn’t change the fact he was *****.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Oranje39 Wii Code: 0437 4985 6923 2377
    Didn't rate Brown or Zibi but I loved Makalamby.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    In what way am I at it? Seriously?

I didnt think Brown was all that good but don’t think he was as bad as he’s painted out to be so I’ve asked people for instances where he’s made any real Zibi/Oxley level howlers. I got the ball rolling with the two I can remember and there hasn’t been any more so far. I’m thinking that making big mistakes in two games in around 60 games isn’t all that bad, especially when we finished 3rd in his only full season at the club.
    Your insistence in linking Zibi and Oxley seems a little odd.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    His positioning for free kicks was terrible. Letting the ball roll past and into the next because he thought it was going wide was another. His distribution was poor. That’s why he was punted and never really done well anywhere else. Zibi and Maka at least had a couple of stand out games. I can’t remember Brown have any?
    Brown had a good game at Ibrox in the cup?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    You don’t have to give multiple specific instances of someone making an absolute **** of it, to prove they were *****.

I couldn’t roll off examples of David Stephens being utterly humpty, but he definitely was.

Simon Brown was a ***** keeper. If you remember that differently from other people then good for you, but it doesn’t change the fact he was *****.
    Don't think the OP is disputing the fact that Brown was *****. He was. I think he's highlighting his point from another thread that he's slated for mistakes against hearts mostly.

Whereas in his eyes, Oxley made far more mistakes on a lower scale and therefore folk don't recognise him as sheidt.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Don't think the OP is disputing the fact that Brown was *****. He was. I think he's highlighting his point from another thread that he's slated for mistakes against hearts mostly.

Whereas in his eyes, Oxley made far more mistakes on a lower scale and therefore folk don't recognise him as sheidt.
    Oxley was a better keeper than Brown.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

The big difference is that, mistakes or not, I have no doubt that the Ox was trying his best.

I have significant doubts that Simon Brown was. For an experienced pro, he seemed not to give a s***.

That, to me, is unforgivable.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranje39 View Post
    Didn't rate Brown or Zibi but I loved Makalamby.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Oxley was a better keeper than Brown.
    That's missing his point still I don't think anyone's debating that.

Quote Originally Posted by 21sMay View Post
    Mark burchill it was mate
    Think it was Miller, mate.

Brown and at least one other defender were both to blame for that lot's first goal in that 2 2 game.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Your insistence in linking Zibi and Oxley seems a little odd.
    Don’t see how. Both made a string of errors that resulted in goals against. The only difference is one did so against Hearts while the other did so against championship sides

First Team Breakthrough
    Don’t see how. Both made a string of errors that resulted in goals against. The only difference is one did so against Hearts while the other did so against championship sides
    You can ask all day for actual when/how, but he was just *****

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Did Charlie Adam not score 4 free kicks into him, 2 in 2 games, all at the same end and from the same position? Or am I making that up? It was definitely one game but for some reason I seem to think it happened twice.

Anyway, he was hopeless.

Edit - after googling he did indeed score 4 free kicks in a matter of months at Easter Road but the second game was into Andy McNeil.
    I'm sure it was 2 into brown inside 2 weeks both low down to the near post. I remember having seen the 1st one on telly I was screaming at brown not to leave a massive gap but he did😣.

Left by mutual consent!
    All this shows how good Rocky is and what a brilliant deal we made for him.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scotiaf View Post
    You can ask all day for actual when/how, but he was just *****
    Haha that’s that then

Brown had a good game at Ibrox in the cup?
    Did he have much to do, not being funny just can’t mind. He would have had some games he’s done well I’ve no doubt about that. But he was truly one of the worst keepers I’ve ever seen at any level of football.

@hibs.net private member proud_and_green's Avatar
    I will never forget Brown's performance against Rangers in March 2007 at ER. Two identical free kicks taken by Charlie Adam both went in exactly the same place. I was lined up ideally to see it and from the point where Brown settled down for the first I could see the gap, so could Adam. At the second, I mentioned to my daughter that he was making the same mistake again - and sure enough Adam saw it too. Could not believe that firstly, Brown had set up the defence so badly then secondly and critically had made the same mistake a second time. Result 2-0 defeat in a game where I thought we should have won on the rest of our play, but the second goal killed the team's morale.

Dreadful keeper!

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    He was an awful goalkeeper. Really poor. Don't know what the OP saw in him?

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by proud_and_green View Post
    I will never forget Brown's performance against Rangers in March 2007 at ER. Two identical free kicks taken by Charlie Adam both went in exactly the same place. I was lined up ideally to see it and from the point where Brown settled down for the first I could see the gap, so could Adam. At the second, I mentioned to my daughter that he was making the same mistake again - and sure enough Adam saw it too. Could not believe that firstly, Brown had set up the defence so badly then secondly and critically had made the same mistake a second time. Result 2-0 defeat in a game where I thought we should have won on the rest of our play, but the second goal killed the team's morale.

Dreadful keeper!
    Do you remember any others that weren’t mentioned in the OP?

Do you remember any others that weren’t mentioned in the OP?
    I disagree with a fair bit of what you post mate but in fairness to you, if this was a boxing match, you would be winning by a mile and on the point of a TKO........

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    I disagree with a fair bit of what you post mate but in fairness to you, if this was a boxing match, you would be winning by a mile and on the point of a TKO........
    Haha, to be fair about 90% of what I post is probably inkeeping with the majority on here, it’s just less noticeable when everybody is in agreement... I think

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Did Charlie Adam not score 4 free kicks into him, 2 in 2 games, all at the same end and from the same position? Or am I making that up? It was definitely one game but for some reason I seem to think it happened twice.

Anyway, he was hopeless.

Edit - after googling he did indeed score 4 free kicks in a matter of months at Easter Road but the second game was into Andy McNeil.
    I remember the Brown and McNeill ones, they were both from a pretty well identical position. Absolutley shocking positioning by both of them, particularly McNeil who surely must have seen what Adam did to Brown at his near post. For a long time I thought Brown was probably the worst keeper we'd ever had in my lifetime, on a par or maybe even worse than Zibi or Gottskalsson- then along came Graeme Smith.

The two best saves I've ever seen in the flesh are from Craig Gordon against Rob Jones at ER and Simon Brown against Alex Rae(?) at Ibrox. I liked neither keeper, but I had a perfect view of each, simply miraculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Did he have much to do, not being funny just can’t mind. He would have had some games he’s done well I’ve no doubt about that. But he was truly one of the worst keepers I’ve ever seen at any level of football.
    We got battered in that first half, I never saw the win coming. But the defence bent and didn't break, Brown kept us level, and Sproule was different class and changed the game.

Ally Brown was a better keeper than him

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    The two best saves I've ever seen in the flesh are from Craig Gordon against Rob Jones at ER and Simon Brown against Alex Rae(?) at Ibrox. I liked neither keeper, but I had a perfect view of each, simply miraculous.
    Bob Malcolm. It was a fantastic save.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    That Gordon save is the best save I’ve seen ay ER. Rocky’s save where he dived on the line and got it away is up there too with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Bob Malcolm. It was a fantastic save.
    Thanks. I knew it was a hun neanderthal of one sort

Quote Originally Posted by eastmainsmsh View Post
    Ally Brown was a better keeper than him
    So were Maw and Paw Broon

Quote Originally Posted by The goalie View Post
    Since the glory days of Rough, goram and Leighton Hibs have had a number of Fair to complete mince goalies.
    We have failed to bring any through ourselves in that time and relied on dross coming in from other glubs.

The current keeper is prob the best in a while but by no means a top quality goalie and has his moments of madness.
    I was looking forward to seeing Bain in goals for us as i rate him but it was not to be.

We can look back on the last 30 odd uears and we have produced good young players in all positions but never had a goalie we grew ourselves that had anything more than a season in goal and never went on to a higher level, I wonder why that is as other clubs have managed it.
    BY NO MEANS A TOP QUALITY GOALIE? mmmh have to disagree with that IMO best keeper weve had for a long long while ,,one of the best in league, right up there with gordon( whos had as much moments of madness this season as marciano!)would be happy if we sighn bain in the summer as well for strong competition, but thinking back to previous seasons ime happy whos between the sticks just now