hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Simon Brown

Quote Originally Posted by 21sMay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mark burchill it was mate
    Definitely Lee Miller.

2. Log in to remove the advert

The premise of this thread seems to be that we can only remember Clown spilling a whole tray of drinks over a group of young women on the dancefloor of a George Street club and causing chaos a couple of times. Therefore the occasions when he failed to do this he must have uniformly delivered the tray of drinks satisfactorily.

No. There were numerous spillages at the bar, whilst loading the tray and even not bothering to get a round in - occurances that are too mundane to recall, just as his merely adequate and even semi competent displays are. However, this thread shows that such spillages are etched into the consciousness of our support and form the identikit of a piss poor keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    The premise of this thread seems to be that we can only remember Clown spilling a whole tray of drinks over a group of young women on the dancefloor of a George Street club and causing chaos a couple of times. Therefore the occasions when he failed to do this he must have uniformly delivered the tray of drinks satisfactorily.

No. There were numerous spillages at the bar, whilst loading the tray and even not bothering to get a round in - occurances that are too mundane to recall, just as his merely adequate and even semi competent displays are. However, this thread shows that such spillages are etched into the consciousness of our support and form the identikit of a piss poor keeper.
    Bang on. You will always remember the howlers against the bigger sides, the ones against Inverness or Motherwell will be long forgotten, the guy was awful beyond belief.

@hibs.net private member proud_and_green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    Do you remember any others that weren’t mentioned in the OP?
    To be fair once I read your post three times i realised that was the same game, you explained it so well!

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries

Decent analogy but the reality is that after near 100 replies now we haven’t managed to come up with anything more than the couple that were mentioned in the OP.

If he really was up there as the worst that we have ever had, as a few people have alluded to, I’d expect to see even a slight shred of further evidence considering he played near 70 games for the club.

Its especially prominent when when compared to the Oxley thread where no less than 8 clear howlers have been given as specific examples yet he is still somehow considered a solid keeper by most on here.

It’s an interesting insight into the mind of a football fan if nothing else. It suggests to me that if Brown and Zibi has made the exact same mistakes against anybody other than Hearts then oppnion of them would be very different.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Bang on. You will always remember the howlers against the bigger sides, the ones against Inverness or Motherwell will be long forgotten, the guy was awful beyond belief.
    I remember Zibi having a shocker at Inverness. Don’t remember Brown though.

I remember Zibi having a shocker at Inverness. Don’t remember Brown though.
    I've happily been able to consign most (not all) of their collective howlers to some black and festering corner of my brain where they remain, never to be accessed again.

What got to me about Brown was that he didn't seem to give a **** and that I can't put up with.

On a separate note, everyone seems to be able to remember at least one decent game or quality save for both these miscreants.

Can anyone remember Tony Caig doing likewise???

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by proud_and_green View Post
    I will never forget Brown's performance against Rangers in March 2007 at ER. Two identical free kicks taken by Charlie Adam both went in exactly the same place. I was lined up ideally to see it and from the point where Brown settled down for the first I could see the gap, so could Adam. At the second, I mentioned to my daughter that he was making the same mistake again - and sure enough Adam saw it too. Could not believe that firstly, Brown had set up the defence so badly then secondly and critically had made the same mistake a second time. Result 2-0 defeat in a game where I thought we should have won on the rest of our play, but the second goal killed the team's morale.

Dreadful keeper!
    That still haunts me. I can remember sitting in the old east and watching Charlie Adam set the ball up, Brown leaving a massive gap and standing on his 6 yard line. I was about blowing a gasket trying to shout at the clown, as it was so obvious what was coming next. Utter clown of a goalie.

Decent analogy but the reality is that after near 100 replies now we haven’t managed to come up with anything more than the couple that were mentioned in the OP.

If he really was up there as the worst that we have ever had, as a few people have alluded to, I’d expect to see even a slight shred of further evidence considering he played near 70 games for the club.

Its especially prominent when when compared to the Oxley thread where no less than 8 clear howlers have been given as specific examples yet he is still somehow considered a solid keeper by most on here.

It’s an interesting insight into the mind of a football fan if nothing else. It suggests to me that if Brown and Zibi has made the exact same mistakes against anybody other than Hearts then oppnion of them would be very different.
    Handling pressure in bigger games is part and parcel of being a decent keeper. Slipping up in bread and butter games people can ride with, but in high stakes games a nervy keeper can destroy a team. Both Clown and Zibbi excelled at that. But I recall Brown selling a game - for some reason Dumbarton springs to mind - I think it was, with an atrociously butterfingered spill. Not to labour the point but I'm still waiting for Clown (or Zibbi's) greatest saves moments.

Makalambay wasn't great, but nowhere near Clownzibbi for uninspiring both team and support.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    Clown was the worst goalkeeper I’ve seen at Easter Road. His battle with Zibbi for that no1 shirt was Piers Morgan vs Jeremy Clarkson. I recall Hibs v Huns at ER when he was so far off his line and out of position, Charlie Adam had an easy lob from a free kick into an empty net. The stadium was in shock at his incompetence. When the same thing happened later on in the game, everybody just laughed.

There was always the Hearts game where he threw the ball into his own net.

Please - don’t demean yourself with all this ‘safe pair of hands’ or ‘wasn’t all that bad’ revisionism.

Clown was utter garbage.
    One of a string of terrible goalkeepers we had. Good summation of that particular clown.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar

There are three shockers across two games in your OP. All worse than anything Oxley did IMO, and in much bigger games. As others have said, these stay with you.

You also seem to be taking the fact that people can't remember other specific games from a period stretching from 11 - 14 years ago as confirmation that he must have otherwise been solid, when the vast majority of posters remember him differently (and he was binned by two managers).

I'd be surprised if you could remember all of the soft goals Oxley conceded that have been mentioned on this thread, in 14 years time. Your talking very recent history versus well over a decade ago.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    There are three shockers across two games in your OP. All worse than anything Oxley did IMO, and in much bigger games. As others have said, these stay with you.

You also seem to be taking the fact that people can't remember other specific games from a period stretching from 11 - 14 years ago as confirmation that he must have otherwise been solid, when the vast majority of posters remember him differently (and he was binned by two managers).

I'd be surprised if you could remember all of the soft goals Oxley conceded that have been mentioned on this thread, in 14 years time. Your talking very recent history versus well over a decade ago.
    Fair argument but I’ll point out that I’m not just asking one person. The collective minds of Hibs.net haven’t managed to come up with any others in over 100 replies. Maybe it’s because they’ve been forgotten about but maybe they didn’t happen and people perceptions have been altered slightly over time. I’m leaning towards the latter. Mind you, on the Oxley thread there are a number of people claiming they can’t remember Oxley having any shockers and that was just 2-3 years ago so you really can’t tell.

We live in an age where there are thousands of hours of old footage available online and we have websites that can tell you anything about any game in history. Surely at least one person on here would be able to point me in the direction of another example if it had indeed happened.

I’ll also disagree that Browns mistakes were worse than Oxleys. The misjudgment of the ball going wide against Hearts is comparable to Oxley misjudging the flight of the ball againt Rangers when he allowed the cross to hit the crossbar for Holt to tap in. The free kick against Rangers when Brown spilled the ball into the net through his legs was identical to Oxleys blunder away to Allo when he did the very same thing. I’d argue that a game against Rangers in the Championship was no less of a big game than it was in the SPL and the Alloa game was in the Scottish Cup - another huge game.

The biggest misconception on this this thread though is the notion that I thought he was good. This isn’t true. I thought he was steady at best, probably closer to Mark Brown than Malkowski.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Brilliant analogy.

Clown was the worst goalkeeper I’ve seen at Easter Road. His battle with Zibbi for that no1 shirt was Piers Morgan vs Jeremy Clarkson. I recall Hibs v Huns at ER when he was so far off his line and out of position, Charlie Adam had an easy lob from a free kick into an empty net. The stadium was in shock at his incompetence. When the same thing happened later on in the game, everybody just laughed.

There was always the Hearts game where he threw the ball into his own net.

Please - don’t demean yourself with all this ‘safe pair of hands’ or ‘wasn’t all that bad’ revisionism.

Clown was utter garbage.
    This. He was just pretty gash.

Fair argument but I’ll point out that I’m not just asking one person. The collective minds of Hibs.net haven’t managed to come up with any others in over 100 replies. Maybe it’s because they’ve been forgotten about but maybe they didn’t happen and people perceptions have been altered slightly over time. I’m leaning towards the latter. Mind you, on the Oxley thread there are a number of people claiming they can’t remember Oxley having any shockers and that was just 2-3 years ago so you really can’t tell.

We live in an age where there are thousands of hours of old footage available online and we have websites that can tell you anything about any game in history. Surely at least one person on here would be able to point me in the direction of another example if it had indeed happened.

I’ll also disagree that Browns mistakes were worse than Oxleys. The misjudgment of the ball going wide against Hearts is comparable to Oxley misjudging the flight of the ball againt Rangers when he allowed the cross to hit the crossbar for Holt to tap in. The free kick against Rangers when Brown spilled the ball into the net through his legs was identical to Oxleys blunder away to Allo when he did the very same thing. I’d argue that a game against Rangers in the Championship was no less of a big game than it was in the SPL and the Alloa game was in the Scottish Cup - another huge game.

The biggest misconception on this this thread though is the notion that I thought he was good. This isn’t true. I thought he was steady at best, probably closer to Mark Brown than Malkowski.
    I forgot we even had Mark Brown. Another disappointment in a Hibs top.

Here's an old thread on the bounce where the best thing said about Simon Brown is he's not as utterly woeful as Zibi Malkowski.

http://www.hibeesbounce.com/showthre...for-Hibs-again

Hope it's okay to link to the rivals!

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar

It's hardly surprising that people forgot the lower profile mistakes from over 10 years ago in an era when he had so many goalkeeping mistakes.

It also says a lot that Brown couldn't hold down a place given the quality of the alternatives.

I had actually genuinely forgotten about Oxley's one v Alloa being so bad, so fair point re: that one. I would disagree re: Brown's misjudgement v Hearts vs Oxley's v Rangers though. Oxley's was definitely bad, but he at least knew he had to take action, albeit he certainly took the wrong one. Brown was so confident in his judgement that rather than simply palm down an innocuous header, he thought that he would let it drift past the post - his judgement was so bad that the ball didn't even hit the post before going in. Shocking. I remember being in the stand at Tynie that night, right behind it - it was always on target.

Minus the big errors, S Brown and Malkowski occupy a similar space to M Brown, Graeme Smith and Makalamby in that I always felt that back four looked nervy behind them - any ball into the space between the centre halfs (that got them turned) and the goalkeeper seemed to cause minor panic, and long balls into the box from any area left me with my heart in my mouth. None of them seemed to be that comfortable with the ball at their feet either. It was so easy for teams to put us under pressure as a result of all that.

Oxley wasn't great, but I didn't feel that panic with him (and I don't believe that the defence did), as much as he could be prone to the handling errors that have been outlined - his ability with the ball at his feet, and the fact that he could kick comfortably with both, was a big plus, and I think suited our game. I would put him in the same bracket as Graham Stack, and that bracket is higher than all the keepers listed above.

However, as you have said, this thread has shown how subjective fans' experiences of players is - these are mine, and you clearly feel differently.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    One good save in the Cup match at Ibrox and apart from that he spent the rest of his time competing with Tony Caig for gold in the immobility championship.
    Tony Caig

Brown made a remarkable save from Bob Macolm once in one of our 3-0 wins and other than that was mostly terrible from my memory. I longed for the day we replaced him (pity it was Zibi that replaced him)

I remember him giving the ball to Lee Miller and then chopping him down for what should have been a penalty & red card.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    I've happily been able to consign most (not all) of their collective howlers to some black and festering corner of my brain where they remain, never to be accessed again.

What got to me about Brown was that he didn't seem to give a **** and that I can't put up with.

On a separate note, everyone seems to be able to remember at least one decent game or quality save for both these miscreants.

Can anyone remember Tony Caig doing likewise???
    Tony Caig! My lasting memory of him is Nick Colgan getting sent off at home to St Mirren or Killie or some such. Free kick edge of the box with Craig now on and he looked to defy gravity how slow he failed to get down to it.

Sure he ended up on the bench for Newcastle in the champions league the next season when they had an injury crisis in goals.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyCal View Post
    Tony Caig

Brown made a remarkable save from Bob Macolm once in one of our 3-0 wins and other than that was mostly terrible from my memory. I longed for the day we replaced him (pity it was Zibi that replaced him)

I remember him giving the ball to Lee Miller and then chopping him down for what should have been a penalty & red card.
    Tony Caig against Dunfermline was the worst display of goalkeeping over the years I've seen and there's been plenty.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee16 View Post
    Tony Caig against Dunfermline was the worst display of goalkeeping over the years I've seen and there's been plenty.
    Absolutely....1-4 i think with Brewster & Crawford up front for Pars.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Absolutely....1-4 i think with Brewster & Crawford up front for Pars.
    Yep that gameutter nightmares about that match for years after.

I didn't mention that performance as I'm sure most who were there still have nightmares about it.

A foggy midweek wasn't it? He literally dropped the ball at Crawford's feet 3 yards out for one of their goals.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    That Gordon save is the best save I’ve seen ay ER. Rocky’s save where he dived on the line and got it away is up there too with it.
    I've said it before, that save is the best I've seen in a Hibs game. Unfortunately it was against us! How that header didn't go in, or should I say how he got to that, I'll never know. I was already in full celebration mode then that happened.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Tony Caig is definitely sitting at home with a Horlicks and Hibs.net wondering how he got brought in to this. After 3 pages he thought he was safe....
    Last edited by ian cruise; 22-02-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    I've said it before, that save is the best I've seen in a Hibs game. Unfortunately it was against us! How that header didn't go in, or should I say how he got to that, I'll never know. I was already in full celebration mode then that happened.
    I was the same, I was already celebrating and couldn’t believe it when his stretched arm kept it out. Was incredible really was!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    I didn't mention that performance as I'm sure most who were there still have nightmares about it.

A foggy midweek wasn't it? He literally dropped the ball at Crawford's feet 3 yards out for one of their goals.
    Yeah that's spot on. They had a very good crowd through and it was also the realisation that we where actually pap from where we came from and Dunfermline where a better side. I'm sure we had some Canadian boy Franks ? Who came in to challenge plus I loved Colgan.

@hibs.net private member
    Terrible keeper.

Fat, slow, unfit, lazy and technically incompetent.

Let's not forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    Probably mentioned before but it was in a game where two of Zibbi's blunders led to us throwing away an early two goal lead!

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Charlie adam scoring same free kick twice is my memory