hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Brown

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries

Simon Brown

Apart from the obvious blunder against Hearts, what are peoples memories of him.

I always thought he was solid if unspectacular and I'd probably go as far to say that he was a little under appreciated. He did well for us as a virtual ever present the season we came 3rd under Mowbray and had very little in the way of out and out blunders. The one against Hearts and then in his last game against Rangers are all that spring to mind.

Don't get me wrong, he was far from great but I'm always a bit surprised to see him included with the likes of Oxley, Malkowski, Makalambay etc
    Last edited by My_Wife_Camille; 21-02-2018 at 05:58 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Always remember it being a pain having two S. Browns!

Left by mutual consent!
    Saved a complete peach in the 3-0 win at Ibrox. Doesn't get on with the Dalgleish's a million times better than Zubi about as lower league England as Oxley.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apart from the obvious blunder against Hearts, what are peoples memories of him.

I always thought he was solid if unspectacular and I'd probably go as far to say that he was a little under appreciated. He did well for us as a virtual ever present the season we came 3rd under Mowbray and had very little in the way of out and out blunders. The one against Hearts and one in his last game against Rangers are all that spring to mind.

Don't get me wrong, he was far from great but I'm always a bit surprised to see him included with the likes of Oxley, Malkowski, Makalambay etc
    He was an average goalkeeper no more no less

I always thought he was solid if unspectacular and I'd probably go as far to say that he was a little under appreciated. He did well for us as a virtual ever present the season we came 3rd under Mowbray and had very little in the way of out and out blunders. The one against Hearts and one in his last game against Rangers are all that spring to mind.

Wasn't it Brown who had a Hearts player stand behind him and wait on Brown putting the ball on the ground before going to kick it? Hearts rat nipped in took the ball and Brown brought him down, it was a definite penalty but the ref got it right and never gave it. The score was 2 2 and it was at Easter Road, possibly only a few weeks after we had beat them to 2 1 in Gorgie, the game when he gave them a goal start

Clown was the worst goalkeeper I’ve seen at Easter Road. His battle with Zibbi for that no1 shirt was Piers Morgan vs Jeremy Clarkson. I recall Hibs v Huns at ER when he was so far off his line and out of position, Charlie Adam had an easy lob from a free kick into an empty net. The stadium was in shock at his incompetence. When the same thing happened later on in the game, everybody just laughed.

There was always the Hearts game where he threw the ball into his own net.

Please - don’t demean yourself with all this ‘safe pair of hands’ or ‘wasn’t all that bad’ revisionism.

Clown was utter garbage.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Clown was the worst goalkeeper I’ve seen at Easter Road. His battle with Zibbi for that no1 shirt was Piers Morgan vs Jeremy Clarkson. I recall Hibs v Huns at ER when he was so far off his line and out of position, Charlie Adam had an easy lob from a free kick into an empty net. The stadium was in shock at his incompetence. When the same thing happened later on in the game, everybody just laughed.

Please - don’t demean yourself with all this ‘safe pair of hands’ or ‘wasn’t all that bad’ revisionism.

Clown was utter garbage.
    Fair points but the two games you've mentioned are the ones I mentioned in the OP. They are the only ones I can think of and the only two that are ever mentioned which is surprising when so many people, such as yourself, label him as the worst you've ever seen.

Those games were also two years apart, you'd think someone who was the worst that people had seen would have come up with a few more clangers in that space of time.

Malkowski, Oxley and Makalambay certainly all did

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Bad. But saved by that idiot Zibi. One of a very select few of players to wear the shirt I've actively disliked as he gave up on that semi final.

Don't even like to think about these guys. We had a bad run of keepers until Ben Williams. His problem was most of the 10 in front of him by that time were crap.
    Last edited by Baader; 21-02-2018 at 12:00 AM.

First Team Breakthrough
    He was terrible and worse than Zibi, that header against lee miller I think.

Quote Originally Posted by scotiaf View Post
    Lol. No he wasn't.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Still only the two games mentioned in the OP.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Oh dear. No, no he wasn’t. He was bad, but not Zibi level bad.

The big games are the most memorable but the others I recall as being characterized by nervy, poor performances rather than rock steady ones. I recall another nightmare against Dumbarton where Clown sold the game, dropping one ball, letting another leak through his ‘guard’ and reducing the defense and support to a suffering bag of nerves.,

My memory of him is the 'helicopter Sunday' game at ER. We needed a nice solid start. He proceeded to hesitate and let a long ball bounce, totally misjudge it and it bounced right over his head and Nacho Novo somehow hit the post with an empty net. He was probably the most nervous, awkward looking professional goalkeeper I have ever seen and I'd agree with others that technically he was worse than Zibi. I also remember a game v Kilmarnock in which he went for a pretty tame free kick with his 'wrong' hand and done nothing except help it into the net. The belpw paragraph from a Brentford fan site sums him up:

Simon Brown had started out at Spurs and had several years as first choice at Colchester United before moving to Scotland where he played for Hibernian. He was the second goalkeeper to join the Bees from the Edinburgh club but he was never the keeper that Oli Gottskalksson had been and his stay was undistinguished. He rarely looked the part, losing his place to loanee Ben Hamer before being offloaded on loan to Darlington.

When you are being compared unfavourably to Gottskalkson it's probably time to give it up.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Oxley didnt make that many blunders either...doesnt mean he was any good.

Browns distribution was rubbish,shot stopping was rubbish,decision making was rubbish.

Like a previous poster stated...lower English league at best.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Clown was utter garbage.
    Absolutely. Think the second Adam goal in that game went right through his hands appalling.

@hibs.net private member

I’m always surprised he’s bracketed with Malkowski as well - Brown was a decent keeper who made a couple of mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Bad. But saved by that idiot Zibi. One of a very select few of players to wear the shirt I've actively disliked as he gave up on that semi final.

Don't even like to think about these guys. We had a bad run of keepers until Ben Williams. His problem was most of the 10 in front of him by that time were crap.
    Unfortunately with Zibi it wasnt just the semi final. He had a catalogue of shockers all pretty much against Hearts. Pretty sure there was a monthly direct debit to him from Lithuania. The worst was the game we were 2 up and absolutely battering them, he then came for a cross on the edge of the box and made it 2 1 then to fumble another in the second half for a hugely unlikely draw.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Unfortunately with Zibi it wasnt just the semi final. He had a catalogue of shockers all pretty much against Hearts. Pretty sure there was a monthly direct debit to him from Lithuania. The worst was the game we were 2 up and absolutely battering them, he then came for a cross on the edge of the box and made it 2 1 then to fumble another in the second half for a hugely unlikely draw.
    I'm sure we won that game 2-1. Benji scored the winner

Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    I'm sure we won that game 2-1. Benji scored the winner
    Different game this was the one Zemmama scored early doors then we scored another soon after Killen?? and were battering them. Zibi then missed a cross he should never have come for and fumbled in a second, same game as Gordon saved from Jones header couple of minutes left.

In the Benji game of course Zibi dropped another clanger for their equaliser.

The best assessment of Zibi and Browns Hibs careers is that John Collins chose to throw a young, untested keeper under a bus rather than play either of those 2. He then signed another young, untested keeper (the biggest mistake of his tenure imo) rather than keep either of them.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Clown was utter garbage.

Correct.
    P*ss poor keeper.
    My laddies were the mascots that game against derhun. He ruined the day the useless f***er.

Terrible, terrible keeper.

Fat mess as well. Zibi was terrible, but at least he occasionally looked gutted about ****ing up. Brown seemed to think he was some sort of Teflon character.

A shyster of a player. As JC once said, an overweight, unprofessional player like him would have been laughed out the room in France. Were that it had been the same with us.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Remember then well, absolute shockers as you say but feel that if they weren’t against Hearts they probably wouldn’t have been highlighted as much.

Oxley made identical errors against Dumbarton and Rangers but was supposedly a solid keeper who didn’t make obvious mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post
    Wasn't it Brown who had a Hearts player stand behind him and wait on Brown putting the ball on the ground before going to kick it? Hearts rat nipped in took the ball and Brown brought him down, it was a definite penalty but the ref got it right and never gave it. The score was 2 2 and it was at Easter Road, possibly only a few weeks after we had beat them to 2 1 in Gorgie, the game when he gave them a goal start
    Lee Miller, Billy.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Mark Oxley was nowhere near as bad as Simon Brown.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    My memory of him is the 'helicopter Sunday' game at ER. We needed a nice solid start. He proceeded to hesitate and let a long ball bounce, totally misjudge it and it bounced right over his head and Nacho Novo somehow hit the post with an empty net. He was probably the most nervous, awkward looking professional goalkeeper I have ever seen and I'd agree with others that technically he was worse than Zibi. I also remember a game v Kilmarnock in which he went for a pretty tame free kick with his 'wrong' hand and done nothing except help it into the net.
    He didn’t exactly cover himself in glory for the Killie one but remember it did take a huge deflection off the wall.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Mark Oxley was nowhere near as bad as Simon Brown.
    He made costly mistakes far more regularly than Brown against much lower quality opposition.

He made costly mistakes far more regularly than Brown against much lower quality opposition.

Since the glory days of Rough, goram and Leighton Hibs have had a number of Fair to complete mince goalies.
    We have failed to bring any through ourselves in that time and relied on dross coming in from other glubs.

The current keeper is prob the best in a while but by no means a top quality goalie and has his moments of madness.
    I was looking forward to seeing Bain in goals for us as i rate him but it was not to be.

We can look back on the last 30 odd uears and we have produced good young players in all positions but never had a goalie we grew ourselves that had anything more than a season in goal and never went on to a higher level, I wonder why that is as other clubs have managed it.

Left by mutual consent!
    One good save in the Cup match at Ibrox and apart from that he spent the rest of his time competing with Tony Caig for gold in the immobility championship.