hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was a horrible day.

I don't know if the board had many options given the results and performances. 5 league points out of a possible 33, only 1 win (in the cup replay against Stranraer) in a total of 15 games, and a semifinal loss to Ayr.

Sauzee is arguably my favourite ever Hibs player, but I don't know how much longer the board could have given him.

Whatever would have been would have been. He was treated extremely poorly and deserved so much better.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bawheid View Post
    The day we sacked Sauzee was probably my saddest day as a Hibs supporter. Worse than any relegation, cup final defeat (even that one) or losing your best player. It was just plain wrong. Still makes me angry to this day.
    I remember it for other reasons, took ill, and ended up in Hospital for a fortnight. Missed Bobby’s 1st game against St Johnstone at ER, think we won 3-1, but could be wrong

It was a horrible day.

I don't know if the board had many options given the results and performances. 5 league points out of a possible 33, only 1 win (in the cup replay against Stranraer) in a total of 15 games, and a semifinal loss to Ayr.

Sauzee is arguably my favourite ever Hibs player, but I don't know how much longer the board could have given him.

We were on a massive downward spiral before he was appointed. McLeish has left us in a mess. Would be interesting to see our win rate from m Jan 2001 to when McLeish left us, I think November 2001. Sauzee was left with a poor squad, and in retrospect probably wasn’t the best choice at the time

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I remember it for other reasons, took ill, and ended up in Hospital for a fortnight. Missed Bobby’s 1st game against St Johnstone at ER, think we won 3-1, but could be wrong
    My recollection says 3-0. There was relief that’s for sure. But something was lost that week that wouldn’t return until Tony Mowbray walked through the door of that press conference a few years later.

I remember Sauzee’s Hibs side drawing 0-0 with Celtic at home. Martin O’Neill was full of praise for Sauzee afterwards. Almost urging the Hibs board to give him the time. It’s often forgotten that McLeish had us in free fall while he chose between his own bags of sweeties.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    3 - 0
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

My recollection says 3-0. There was relief that’s for sure. But something was lost that week that wouldn’t return until Tony Mowbray walked through the door of that press conference a few years later.

I remember Sauzee’s Hibs side drawing 0-0 with Celtic at home. Martin O’Neill was full of praise for Sauzee afterwards. Almost urging the Hibs board to give him the time. It’s often forgotten that McLeish had us in free fall while he chose between his own bags of sweeties.
    Bawheid, I was in a hospital bed, wasn’t there, so will bow to your memory
    Be interesting to see the Hibs team for the Saints game. We’d lost to ayr at Hampden 2 weeks or so before, shows you how bad we were at the time

Bawheid, I was in a hospital bed, wasn’t there, so will bow to your memory
    Be interesting to see the Hibs team for the Saints game. We’d lost to ayr at Hampden 2 weeks or so before, shows you how bad we were at the time
    Colgan, Orman, Caldwell, Smith, Murray, De la Cruz (Townsley 79), Jack, O'Neil, Arpinon (Brebner 49), O'Connor, Brewster (Hurtado 69). Subs Not Used: Caig, Fenwick.

Not a bad side to be fair!

The win against St Johnstone was our first in 19 games.

Stats and history show that Bobby Williamson kept us in the league. Whether Franck would have done the same, we can guess and argue about, but we'll never know.

I wish we'd lost patience with Butcher as quickly.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by renato View Post
    Legend. Watching Latapy and Le God dovetailing on the pitch was just outrageous, we’ll probably never have players of that quality again, sadly.

https://youtu.be/vXhJr7ZytUw
    Well that`s me started

Colgan, Orman, Caldwell, Smith, Murray, De la Cruz (Townsley 79), Jack, O'Neil, Arpinon (Brebner 49), O'Connor, Brewster (Hurtado 69). Subs Not Used: Caig, Fenwick.

Great thanks, Lot of experienced and talented players

Left by mutual consent!
    Wasn`t there a lot of back stabbing also when he was manager? I remember reading something about Luna not being happy or something along those lines.

In any case it was some shock to the system to go from the flair days of Sauzee to the going to the cinema days of Blobby.

The win against St Johnstone was our first in 19 games.

Stats and history show that Bobby Williamson kept us in the league. Whether Franck would have done the same, we can guess and argue about, but we'll never know.

I wish we'd lost patience with Butcher as quickly.
    Think that tells you how poor we had been performing at the time. Wonder how many of these games were under McLeish/Sauzee!
    Remember one of McLeish’s last games at ER, lost 3-0 at home to Livi, and we were a total shambles
    Board probably made the wrong decision in appointing Sauzee at the time

I thought we had a team far removed from McLeish's by that point, surprised it was still that strong. Not sure how they had such a bad record, if you ignore the fact there's zero pace in it.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Wasn`t there a lot of back stabbing also when he was manager? I remember reading something about Luna not being happy or something along those lines.

In any case it was some shock to the system to go from the flair days of Sauzee to the going to the cinema days of Blobby.
    There were rumours about problems behind the scenes which didn't put Sauzee in a good light.

How much of that affected the board's decision is anyone's guess.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Think that tells you how poor we had been performing at the time. Wonder how many of these games were under McLeish/Sauzee!
    Remember one of McLeish’s last games at ER, lost 3-0 at home to Livi, and we were a total shambles
    Franck was manager for 11 league games.

Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    I thought we had a team far removed from McLeish's by that point, surprised it was still that strong. Not sure how they had such a bad record, if you ignore the fact there's zero pace in it.
    Williamson dropped Lilian Martin (shudder) and Jarkko Wiss (double shudder) for his first game in charge.

I remember that defeat to Ayr at Hampden. Pretty sure Yogi strolled it in defence for Ayr. We were utter pish. Sauzee standing in the rain on the touchline unable to change it. Still looked cool as **** though. Proper Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    That Semi Final was horrible. I felt sick afterwards knowing that was the end for Sauzee.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I think Craig Brewster missed around 14 games of in the run where we had won win in 17 games, but I might be wrong.

He definitely was out for a while, and only really came back to fitness when BW came in. Think GOC went on a wee scoring burst at the end of the season when played up front with Brewster.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post

Yeah I recall rumours on here, or its predecessor about senior players including Luna going to the Board, very unhappy about Franck's management. No idea if this was true.

We hadn't won our last 6 under McLeish since the De La Cruz Derby and as previously mentioned, Brewster got injured. I don't think many fans could imagine how poor we'd be under Sauzee but the day he got sacked was one of these "where were you when it happened" days. I had to leave work early, couldn't concentrate!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Yeah I recall rumours on here, or its predecessor about senior players including Luna going to the Board, very unhappy about Franck's management. No idea if this was true.

We hadn't won our last 6 under McLeish since the De La Cruz Derby and as previously mentioned, Brewster got injured. I don't think many fans could imagine how poor we'd be under Sauzee but the day he got sacked was one of these "where were you when it happened" days. I had to leave work early, couldn't concentrate!
    One of the worst things Franck did was stop playing himself.

From reading the book, Ted Brack did everything he could to contact Sauzee about his time at Hibs and to get his input, or even show him the book once it’d been completed, but heard nothing back from him.

It would be brilliant if he did come back for a game, but sadly I doubt it will happen.

He seemed to love “Heebs”. Remember the game at Tynecastle when Antti Niemi was hit by something which had been thrown by Hibs fans. Franck ran half the length of the pitch, stood in front of Hibs fans to give us a telling off. Got a standing ovation.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    One of the worst things Franck did was stop playing himself.
    Looking back I recall quite vividly Franck being caught flat footed and left behind by more agile and speedy youngsters from other teams: a Dundee United game at E.R. springs to mine. I think big Franck knew that father time had caught up with him and that his body could not move as quickly as his footballing brain. He knew it was time to call it a day.
    Being thrust into a high profile management role, well before he was ready, was always going to end up one way.
    We all wanted him to succeed but the naked truth is that he was/is not cut out to be a manager. Great players do not naturally become great managers.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    Looking back I recall quite vividly Franck being caught flat footed and left behind by more agile and speedy youngsters from other teams: a Dundee United game at E.R. springs to mine. I think big Franck knew that father time had caught up with him and that his body could not move as quickly as his footballing brain. He knew it was time to call it a day.
    Being thrust into a high profile management role, well before he was ready, was always going to end up one way.
    We all wanted him to succeed but the naked truth is that he was/is not cut out to be a manager. Great players do not naturally become great managers.
    This is something we'll never really know for certain. He simply wasn't given the time or resources for us ever to determine the bald assertion you've stated. No disrespect as I think you're a really good poster but I disagree with you on this as the point you make was largely not put to the test for all new managers need more time than big Franck had.

mon the cabbage!!!

As much as I’d love to see Frank in the flesh again, part of me wonders if his legacy is almost enhanced by the fact we haven’t seen him since. Like a rock star or artist who is heralded more after death than they ever were alive. Guess it keeps a bit of mystery and romance about his time at Hibs.

Look at Paul Scholes and Roy Keane at Man United. Absolute club legends, but both have both been critical of their old team in the press and on TV, which has tarnished their reputation with the United fans in varying degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post
    This is something we'll never really know for certain. He simply wasn't given the time or resources for us ever to determine the bald assertion you've stated. No disrespect as I think you're a really good poster but I disagree with you on this as the point you make was largely not put to the test for all new managers need more time than big Franck had.

mon the cabbage!!!
    Respect for your honesty:
    I admire big Franck as much as anyone for his wonderful contribution as a player, but it's often a harsh reality for many a great player to not be cut out for management. To this day Franck has not, as far as I'm aware, even attempted another managerial role - preferring to be a tv pundit. I agree with you that 69 days is insufficient time, even for an experienced manager to make a mark, but our performances were abject with no sign of improvement. If memory serves me correct, the board felt desperately sorry to see Franck sinking under the enormous burden of management and felt that they were doing him a huge favour by sacking him - as harsh as it seemed at the time. Perhaps also, and I say perhaps, that bitter, humiliating experience informed Franck that management was not for him.
    It's hard also to imagine a determined would-be manager, not wanting to prove his critics wrong and take on another managerial role, or even serve an apprenticeship as a number two to a more experienced manager - cutting his teeth, so to speak. Franck perhaps, and again I say perhaps, ultimately wanted a less-stressful life and didn't feel driven enough towards being a manager.
    At the end of the day, I'm happy to have seen the big man strut his stuff on the field and remember him for this above his time as manager.
    On a lighter note, I had a great chat with Franck and his good lady one sunny day in Princes Street back in 2000 - an absolute gentleman.
    Last edited by Hi Heid Yin; 21-02-2018 at 12:37 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    1st game after he left was against them at Ibrox Paco scored in sure 1 up no GJP at half time after all.

Mcleish left us thentank. I know for a fact Mixu advised LenGod not to sign Wiss.

Anyway, Franck - he was two passes ahead of the game our level. He went down injured the week before the cup final my heart sank. Le God on his knees after the final whistle I was in tears. Love the man. Utter utter class.

Met an ex world football of the year, now manger of Real Madrid and his business partner via work.

They know him due to French and marseille connection.

I asked them to tell Le god about the adoration hibs Fans have for him, very much doubt they passed that on but I like to think so.

Met an ex world football of the year, now manger of Real Madrid and his business partner via work.

They know him due to French and marseille connection.

I asked them to tell Le god about the adoration hibs Fans have for him, very much doubt they passed that on but I like to think so.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    Respect for your honesty:
    I admire big Franck as much as anyone for his wonderful contribution as a player, but it's often a harsh reality for many a great player to not be cut out for management. To this day Franck has not, as far as I'm aware, even attempted another managerial role - preferring to be a tv pundit. I agree with you that 69 days is insufficient time, even for an experienced manager to make a mark, but our performances were abject with no sign of improvement. If memory serves me correct, the board felt desperately sorry to see Franck sinking under the enormous burden of management and felt that they were doing him a huge favour by sacking him - as harsh as it seemed at the time. Perhaps also, and I say perhaps, that bitter, humiliating experience informed Franck that management was not for him.
    It's hard also to imagine a determined would-be manager, not wanting to prove his critics wrong and take on another managerial role, or even serve an apprenticeship as a number two to a more experienced manager - cutting his teeth, so to speak. Franck perhaps, and again I say perhaps, ultimately wanted a less-stressful life and didn't feel driven enough towards being a manager.
    At the end of the day, I'm happy to have seen the big man strut his stuff on the field and remember him for this above his time as manager.
    On a lighter note, I had a great chat with Franck and his good lady one sunny day in Princes Street back in 2000 - an absolute gentleman.
    Very fair points mate. The brief stint Franck had as our manager certainly appears to have been the experience that steered him clear of any further role in management elsewhere. He was a real gentleman as you rightly say and sometimes the most pleasant nicest folk like big Franck aren't meant for the sometimes ruthless demands of a manager. I wish he'd come back one day and be received as the hero and legend he will always be at this club.

There's Only One Sauzee

mon the cabbage!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post
    Very fair points mate. The brief stint Franck had as our manager certainly appears to have been the experience that steered him clear of any further role in management elsewhere. He was a real gentleman as you rightly say and sometimes the most pleasant nicest folk like big Franck aren't meant for the sometimes ruthless demands of a manager. I wish he'd come back one day and be received as the hero and legend he will always be at this club.

There's Only One Sauzee

mon the cabbage!!!
    Ditto