hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1957/58

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobby is the rather well informed man behind this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009NY1W...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

He knows his onions.
    ..... and co-author of this book as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hibernian-F.../dp/178531078X

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperman View Post
    Yeah me too, I had just turned 11, though had been a regular at homes games for a couple of years with my Dad, 80/81 was the year we went to loads of away games, my Dad no doubt feeling it was a bit safer as there was loads of bother in the years before at Easter Road at certain times.

Although it looks from the stats that home crowds were low, I have vivid recollections of some really big away crowds, no doubt buoyed by winning regularly.

I remember going to Stirling at their old ground, 1st away game of the season I think, after losing at home to Raith the week before, there was a tremendous Hibs support. Peter Cormack scored in a 2-0 win.

Trips to Firs Park to play East Stirling in a dire 1-1 draw, and a trip to Berwick on either New Years Day or the day after when that lad broke his leg after a minute and never played again.

Also big game at Starks Park to play Raith in what I think was Alan Sneddon's debut. Raith were maybe top just above Hibs, and I'm sure there must have been close to 10k there, half Hibs fans, but it was a tame 2-0 defeat and a big Hibs support disappointed.

Even got to the cup game at Ibrox, my Dad had got some tickets for the main stand from someone at his work, so sat quietly amongst the Huns but cheered when Jackie Mac pulled a goal back. Think I got off with it as I was just a young lad, my Dad was probably crapping it.
    Good memories. The relegation season 79/80 was my first going home and away. I loved the First Division season that followed and remember the game at Annfield clearly. Was great to see the great Georgie Boy making a surprise return to the Hibees later that season which a lot of people seem to forget. We were handed tickets for the stand at Shielfield by the driver of the team bus and saw poor Ian Hendry break his leg right in front of us. Raith were a pain in the erse that season but it was a good day when we beat them at the end of the season at ER and celebrated on the pitch after lifting the title.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Good memories. The relegation season 79/80 was my first going home and away. I loved the First Division season that followed and remember the game at Annfield clearly. Was great to see the great Georgie Boy making a surprise return to the Hibees later that season which a lot of people seem to forget. We were handed tickets for the stand at Shielfield by the driver of the team bus and saw poor Ian Hendry break his leg right in front of us. Raith were a pain in the erse that season but it was a good day when we beat them at the end of the season at ER and celebrated on the pitch after lifting the title.
    I always seemed to recall the Raith game when we won the league being played in front of a massive crowd but it was apparently only 8,071! There was a decent Raith support as well. We were all chanting for Bertie Auld to make an appearance at the end but he'd buggered off to Spain! Wish he'd stayed there...

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperman View Post
    Yeah me too, I had just turned 11, though had been a regular at homes games for a couple of years with my Dad, 80/81 was the year we went to loads of away games, my Dad no doubt feeling it was a bit safer as there was loads of bother in the years before at Easter Road at certain times.

Although it looks from the stats that home crowds were low, I have vivid recollections of some really big away crowds, no doubt buoyed by winning regularly.

I remember going to Stirling at their old ground, 1st away game of the season I think, after losing at home to Raith the week before, there was a tremendous Hibs support. Peter Cormack scored in a 2-0 win.

Trips to Firs Park to play East Stirling in a dire 1-1 draw, and a trip to Berwick on either New Years Day or the day after when that lad broke his leg after a minute and never played again.

Also big game at Starks Park to play Raith in what I think was Alan Sneddon's debut. Raith were maybe top just above Hibs, and I'm sure there must have been close to 10k there, half Hibs fans, but it was a tame 2-0 defeat and a big Hibs support disappointed.

Even got to the cup game at Ibrox, my Dad had got some tickets for the main stand from someone at his work, so sat quietly amongst the Huns but cheered when Jackie Mac pulled a goal back. Think I got off with it as I was just a young lad, my Dad was probably crapping it.
    Think we won the New Year game at Berwick 2-0. I spewed my ring all day . Hi AUBENAS. The Ian Hendry break was at Berwick later on in the month.
    Had some great away trips that season, Ayr, Dunfermline and Dundee midweek were highlights. That game at Annfield was great and I don't remember Peter Cormack appearing much afterwards.
    I also remember a sorry midweek defeat at Boghead.
    We went on to steamroller the league and the Rovers game at ER when we lifted the title was the feature game on Sportscene that night. I watched it reeking somewhere in Stockbridge. By 18 I had a problem.
    And that Scottish cup game at Ibrox was the last one I'd missed (family wedding) until Leeann destroyed the points scheme and I missed Tynie 2017. But I've probably mentioned that already......

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    I always seemed to recall the Raith game when we won the league being played in front of a massive crowd but it was apparently only 8,071! There was a decent Raith support as well. We were all chanting for Bertie Auld to make an appearance at the end but he'd buggered off to Spain! Wish he'd stayed there...
    The Main Terracing seemed packed and pre-castration at that. Hard to recall that the rest of the ground was largely empty!

Think we won the New Year game at Berwick 2-0. I spewed my ring all day . Hi AUBENAS. The Ian Hendry break was at Berwick later on in the month.
    Had some great away trips that season, Ayr, Dunfermline and Dundee midweek were highlights. That game at Annfield was great and I don't remember Peter Cormack appearing much afterwards.
    I also remember a sorry midweek defeat at Boghead.
    We went on to steamroller the league and the Rovers game at ER when we lifted the title was the feature game on Sportscene that night. I watched it reeking somewhere in Stockbridge. By 18 I had a problem.
    And that Scottish cup game at Ibrox was the last one I'd missed (family wedding) until Leeann destroyed the points scheme and I missed Tynie 2017. But I've probably mentioned that already......
    I think it was actually Scotsport rather than Sportscence. For a couple of seasons in the early 1980s the Saturday night highlights slot alternated between BBC Scotland and STV.

There is some footage on YouTube with Arthur Montford as the anchor man and it has the commentary of Jock Brown before he jumped to the BBC shortly before Scotsport bit the dust completely.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Iggy Pope;5322297]The Main Terracing seemed packed and pre-castration at that. Hard to recall that the rest of the ground was largely empty![/
    Was that done on medical advice and was it painful?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    [QUOTE=weecounty hibby;5322337]
    The Main Terracing seemed packed and pre-castration at that. Hard to recall that the rest of the ground was largely empty![/
    Was that done on medical advice and was it painful?
    The big boys at the back of the bus did it to him.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Hard to believe the figure of only 8K at that game, I was in Centre Stand and recall people dropping down to the enclosure to get onto the pitch at the end.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    The Main Terracing seemed packed and pre-castration at that. Hard to recall that the rest of the ground was largely empty!
    I take it you mean pre-segregation? It wasn't.. I started going to matches regularly that season and I've never been to ER without segregation . It was a decent crowd compared to the rest of the season when attendances were often well below 5k.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I take it you mean pre-segregation? It wasn't.. I started going to matches regularly that season and I've never been to ER without segregation . It was a decent crowd compared to the rest of the season when attendances were often well below 5k.
    Was certainly pre-reduction in size of East.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Was certainly pre-reduction in size of East.
    Yeah, that was about 5-6 years later.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I think Iggy means before the top tier got lopped off....1984 or 85.

I think Iggy means before the top tier got lopped off....1984 or 85.
    That's exactly what I meant.....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Wow, 1980/1981 Easter Road was dead.
    was just talking with my son about that year and making same comment

Surprised to see our average in 92/93 being only 8.7k. Remember it seemed like a massive crowd every week back then as a youngster. Was this maybe partly due to building work starting behind the goals?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I’m very sceptical about these figures.Where did they come from,particularly the 50s,60s and 70s?The club never issued attendance figures and newspapers used to have a rough guess.

Like you, I don't think a lot of these figures will be entirely accurate. The ones from the first 50 years or so are clearly 'guesstimates' and while those from the late 1940s onwards do seem to be quite specific, it was a lot harder to know just how many people were in the ground back then. My dad recalls queues stretching up Easter Road in the 50s as well as people climbing into the ground and jumping over the turnstyles which used to just be waist high (something I saw still going on in the early 80s!) as well as lifting kids in for free. I've also heard stories of less than scrupulous turnstyle operators pocketing cash rather than registering the numbers passing into the ground plus directors siphoning off some of the cash etc so I think that up until as recently as the 90s 'official' crowd figures were rather haphazard.

What's undeniably true is that the Scottish Cup win, coupled with the way the club is now run, has resulted in average crowds these days which would have been impossible to imagine just a few years back.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    Surprised to see our average in 92/93 being only 8.7k. Remember it seemed like a massive crowd every week back then as a youngster. Was this maybe partly due to building work starting behind the goals?
    The building of the ff and south stands didn't begin until towards the end of the 94/95 season. The cowshed was always quite sparsely populated in those days and apart from the visits of rantic hearts and dons, away supports were often small. Still seems low though and like you I remember it being busier than that. Maybe a few particularly low midweek crowds bringing the average down?

Remember that too, was on the upper reaches of the old East Terrace that day. Crowds that season were poor and IIRC that was the first game Hibs re-opened the East as it was closed for most of the season to save on costs. I was on the pitch at the end of the game and took home some ER turf along with lots of others that day it was televised for Sportscene/Scotsport, the gantry had cameras, but sadly I can't find any footage on youtube. 8000 - 10,000 wouldn't be far off if I'm honest

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeyhibee View Post
    Remember that too, was on the upper reaches of the old East Terrace that day. Crowds that season were poor and IIRC that was the first game Hibs re-opened the East as it was closed for most of the season to save on costs. I was on the pitch at the end of the game and took home some ER turf along with lots of others that day it was televised for Sportscene/Scotsport, the gantry had cameras, but sadly I can't find any footage on youtube. 8000 - 10,000 wouldn't be far off if I'm honest
    I really don't think that bit is right. Certainly not the whole season, maybe individual midweek games?
    I've got a scrapbook somewhere, must dig it out.

I really don't think that bit is right. Certainly not the whole season, maybe individual midweek games?
    I've got a scrapbook somewhere, must dig it out.
    I stood on the East every game that season so it’s definitely not right.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    That was my first year going to home games on my own aged 12/13. Traveled to with my uncle and I don't think I missed a league game home or away that year.

I started going on my own the year before, but 80/81 was when I started going to practically every game (I was 14). Even though the home crowds were so poor, we actually had a decent size travelling support.

Away games were easily more enjoyable, as the atmosphere was really usually good.

80/81 Edit.
    Wakes might have a point.
    I'll load some scrapbook photos later.

Stirling Alb away was our first win away in 17months. No away wins in 79/80 and only one point. That was at champions Aberdeen and we were already managerless and relegated.

Home Wins v Well and Berwick quickly followed with crowds of 4390 and 4000. Nice round figures.

5304 watched Best in his comeback in a 2-1 win away to Dundee. I remember being on the end of sectarian abuse by an old fart that night.

Terry Wilson signs via Appeals Tribunal.....

Willie Ormond quits 17/11/80.

Two days later Bertie Auld was in.

First win of any sort in the month of November since 1975. 1-0 v Dinfermline.

Simons auld man signed Dec 1980, debut v Stirling Alb 27th Dec, 3-0 win

Jan 10th 1980 top of the table clash at Starks sees a 0-2 loss before a 10,000 capacity crowd.

Victories over Falkirk (rammy in the changing rooms, Piegaterammy) and Dunfermline in the cup before an unfortunate loss at Ibrox.

4 and 5 goal wins over Hamilton and Dunfermline in February.

March 29th away win at Ayr and nearly there.

Clydebank battered at ER assures promotion followed by the Raith game clincher.

Magical season

Here's the Open Day 1980 poster I wrapped my scrapbook in. Wish I'd kept it mint.

Eddie sacking followed by Willie Ormond quitting and a pic of Bertie getting the gig.
    Sorry if they're upside down......Neanderthal man.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

George Best gets an award at the club from Maude, stars in a win at Dundee, Gary Murray signs.

10,000 at Starks, Falkirk misbehave at ER (no ****), Tribunal decide fee for Terry Wilson.

W O was snookered with drink shame because he was a really great guy

Bukta quit (that was in pre season), players in the bath after promotion, clincher v Raith.

Simons auld fellah with the flag....

Terry Wilson big baws fifer but a complete arse poor signing