hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1957/58

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, 1980/1981 Easter Road was dead.
    So was 1984 Easter Road going by this pic (click for bigger)

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 18.38.43.jpg

Some cracking pics in that gallery
    They've only gone and done it! They've only gone and won the Scottish Cup! What kept you, Hibs?!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I’d love to know how they’d come to the decision of who has to play there three times. Imo it should be done by drawing balls out of a hat. It’s an absolute disgrace if Celtic get preferential treatment over the rest of us.
    Its based on last seasons league position. Killie and us will have been expected to finish bottom 6 and I would expect be the teams to be back at Ibrox taking the place of the 2 that were top 6 last time but bottom 6 this time.

There has been a huge increase in the number of girls and women attending games in the past 10 - 15 years. For me that is the main reason for the increase.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    The owner of that website is a guy called Bobby Sinnet. I think he's a Hibs supporter so maybe he has contacts in the club.

I was sure that attendances were announced in the 70s though.
    Bobby is the rather well informed man behind this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009NY1W...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

He knows his onions.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Bobby is the rather well informed man behind this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009NY1W...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

He knows his onions.
    👍
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    The owner of that website is a guy called Bobby Sinnet. I think he's a Hibs supporter so maybe he has contacts in the club.

I was sure that attendances were announced in the 70s though.
    They were.

But my Dad always used to scoff at them. Football was a cash business in those days, so there was plenty scope for understating attendances.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevi_SOL View Post
    We should be guaranteed The Rangers and Celtic at home 👌🏼
    Yes.

We should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    There has been a huge increase in the number of girls and women attending games in the past 10 - 15 years. For me that is the main reason for the increase.
    Aye, but it's not all bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    They were.

But my Dad always used to scoff at them. Football was a cash business in those days, so there was plenty scope for understating attendances.

In the old days there was the mythical? turnstile 32 where the bag of takings went straight to the board room for Mr.Swan.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    In the old days there was the mythical? turnstile 32 where the bag of takings went straight to the board room for Mr.Swan.
    Yup.

He taught Sir Tom and Rod all they know.

I did a rough calculation using £15 as the average.

6000 X £15 = 90000 per week. Multiply that by 19 home games gives you £1.71m

That's extra income!

Last season, in the championship remember, our average was about 4000 higher than in 2010. Using the same back of tag packet calculation, the extra income from attendances was £1.14m.
    Average ticket price was £17 including students /concs a few years back, you're probably not far off with £15.

Coaching Staff
    Don't I know it, I was one of the few regulars.

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Me too, I also went a full season I think under Miller home and away and we failed to win a single game away from home.

Coaching Staff
    Me too, I also went a full season I think under Miller home and away and we failed to win a single game away from home.
    Don't knock it you & I must have some real street cred based on those days.

Didn't we eventually win at Raith Rovers?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    There's a piccy story in the Scotsman of how Easter Road developed from that period. Some of the crowds are massive, some pretty sparse. There's one image the caption says is from a derby in May '66 which looks to have a crowd of about 3 or 4k, but the opposition are playing in all white, so I have my doubts

https://www.scotsman.com/image-galle...14/img14691967

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayern Bru View Post
    So was 1984 Easter Road going by this pic (click for bigger)

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 18.38.43.jpg

Some cracking pics in that gallery
    Didn't see page 2 before I posted a link... Forgive me, I'm old

Didn't we eventually win at Raith Rovers?
    Maybe my memory has gone but if we did it was the last or second d last game of the season.
    Happy days

@hibs.net private member
    That was my first year going to home games on my own aged 12/13. Traveled to with my uncle and I don't think I missed a league game home or away that year.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Average ticket price was £17 including students /concs a few years back, you're probably not far off with £15.
    I suspect as the average gate goes up so will the average ticket price as the £25 kids FF seasons will not effect the average price as greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I suspect as the average gate goes up so will the average ticket price as the £25 kids FF seasons will not effect the average price as greatly.
    Yes, I thought that too.

We'll be closer to an extra £2m in additional gate receipts in that case.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    As a side to this thread in 1954/55 we averaged 22,825, our highest gate 43,000 but our lowest recorded as 875. Anyone know the story behind the 875 gate, I presume it would be a match rearranged for a midweek afternoon???

Yes, I thought that too.

We'll be closer to an extra £2m in additional gate receipts in that case.
    Leigh Griffiths' wages for 2018/19 covered

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Leigh Griffiths' wages for 2018/19 covered

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    As a side to this thread in 1954/55 we averaged 22,825, our highest gate 43,000 but our lowest recorded as 875. Anyone know the story behind the 875 gate, I presume it would be a match rearranged for a midweek afternoon???
    Think it was a midweek,afternoon game against Stirling Albion.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hackett View Post
    There's a piccy story in the Scotsman of how Easter Road developed from that period. Some of the crowds are massive, some pretty sparse. There's one image the caption says is from a derby in May '66 which looks to have a crowd of about 3 or 4k, but the opposition are playing in all white, so I have my doubts

https://www.scotsman.com/image-galle...14/img14691967
    That game was the East of Scotland Shield final, after the season had finished, hence the wee crowd!

I remember a game in the mid-eighties, probably Morton when me and my mate took our youngest boys. they were about 10 or 11, and my mate's boy says ;you got any matches Da? what you wantin' matches fur?!!!!! . his reply was, we're buildin' a Bo'nie. they had gathered auld bits of wood around the back of the top East terracing. needed to heat themselves up as there was nae crowd to get a heat amongst. clever lads.

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Yeah me too, I had just turned 11, though had been a regular at homes games for a couple of years with my Dad, 80/81 was the year we went to loads of away games, my Dad no doubt feeling it was a bit safer as there was loads of bother in the years before at Easter Road at certain times.

Although it looks from the stats that home crowds were low, I have vivid recollections of some really big away crowds, no doubt buoyed by winning regularly.

I remember going to Stirling at their old ground, 1st away game of the season I think, after losing at home to Raith the week before, there was a tremendous Hibs support. Peter Cormack scored in a 2-0 win.

Trips to Firs Park to play East Stirling in a dire 1-1 draw, and a trip to Berwick on either New Years Day or the day after when that lad broke his leg after a minute and never played again.

Also big game at Starks Park to play Raith in what I think was Alan Sneddon's debut. Raith were maybe top just above Hibs, and I'm sure there must have been close to 10k there, half Hibs fans, but it was a tame 2-0 defeat and a big Hibs support disappointed.

Even got to the cup game at Ibrox, my Dad had got some tickets for the main stand from someone at his work, so sat quietly amongst the Huns but cheered when Jackie Mac pulled a goal back. Think I got off with it as I was just a young lad, my Dad was probably crapping it.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperman View Post
    Yeah me too, I had just turned 11, though had been a regular at homes games for a couple of years with my Dad, 80/81 was the year we went to loads of away games, my Dad no doubt feeling it was a bit safer as there was loads of bother in the years before at Easter Road at certain times.

Although it looks from the stats that home crowds were low, I have vivid recollections of some really big away crowds, no doubt buoyed by winning regularly.

I remember going to Stirling at their old ground, 1st away game of the season I think, after losing at home to Raith the week before, there was a tremendous Hibs support. Peter Cormack scored in a 2-0 win.

Trips to Firs Park to play East Stirling in a dire 1-1 draw, and a trip to Berwick on either New Years Day or the day after when that lad broke his leg after a minute and never played again.

Also big game at Starks Park to play Raith in what I think was Alan Sneddon's debut. Raith were maybe top just above Hibs, and I'm sure there must have been close to 10k there, half Hibs fans, but it was a tame 2-0 defeat and a big Hibs support disappointed.

Even got to the cup game at Ibrox, my Dad had got some tickets for the main stand from someone at his work, so sat quietly amongst the Huns but cheered when Jackie Mac pulled a goal back. Think I got off with it as I was just a young lad, my Dad was probably crapping it.
    Ah yes those were the days

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperman View Post

Although 73 was my first game as a 4 year old and I attended a few games each year, the season before that was when I started going regularly home and away. The game at Firs Park was the game the linesman was hit on the head by a beer can thrown from the Hibs end. The Raith game was ASs debut and I think, without checking, he gave away a pen and may have scored an OG? Those were tough times to be a Hibby, especially coming from a town like Alloa where it's 60% hun, 35% tic, 5% others. Made is tough though and makes days like 210516 even sweeter. This is surely up there with late40s/50s and early 70s as one of the best times to be a Hibby. Long may it continue and unlike those periods we need to sustain this and build for the future