hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Fans have done wonders for this club

Reflecting on the thread about the players having done wonders for the club (which they undoubtedly have) I think it's important to also acknowledge the wonders done by the fans as well.

For all there are gripes about uber fans and part timers etc, the facts are that we are now enjoying the highest crowds at Easter Road in generations. We have come from a point where some people thought that building the East was a waste of time and money, to having to open up the South stand to accomodate the home fans as the 'sold out' signs are put up around the ground.

We've taken tens of thousands to Hampden on a regular basis, and even when criticised for not selling out the last time, our gate was still only marginally lower than the semi final the following day.

The support has been magnificent - season ticket sales are up, HSL contributions continue to back the club, and I would imagine that the merchandising sales are very healthy as well.

The team have done well and we have responded, and the more frequently we respond in numbers the better the chances of the on the pitch success being repeated - it's the upward cycle that Mowbray talked about when he came.

Easter Road was rocking on Saturday, coming away from the game and leaving into a big crowd of happy Hibee punters was fantastic, as it has been on a number of occassions over the last few years. The players, management, and board etc all deserve plenty plaudits and thanks for the change in the club, but so too do the supporters who have come flooding back, as well as those that never left.

GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

I've been unable to attend as often as I'd like to this season, but when I have been along, the contrast with the dark days of the Hamilton play-off, relegation and 7000 attendances at home league games, seem a lifetime ago. Its like a different club. I really ought to get me and the boy a season ticket for next season, whether I make all the games or not...

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reflecting on the thread about the players having done wonders for the club (which they undoubtedly have) I think it's important to also acknowledge the wonders done by the fans as well.

For all there are gripes about uber fans and part timers etc, the facts are that we are now enjoying the highest crowds at Easter Road in generations. We have come from a point where some people thought that building the East was a waste of time and money, to having to open up the South stand to accomodate the home fans as the 'sold out' signs are put up around the ground.

We've taken tens of thousands to Hampden on a regular basis, and even when criticised for not selling out the last time, our gate was still only marginally lower than the semi final the following day.

The support has been magnificent - season ticket sales are up, HSL contributions continue to back the club, and I would imagine that the merchandising sales are very healthy as well.

The team have done well and we have responded, and the more frequently we respond in numbers the better the chances of the on the pitch success being repeated - it's the upward cycle that Mowbray talked about when he came.

Easter Road was rocking on Saturday, coming away from the game and leaving into a big crowd of happy Hibee punters was fantastic, as it has been on a number of occassions over the last few years. The players, management, and board etc all deserve plenty plaudits and thanks for the change in the club, but so too do the supporters who have come flooding back, as well as those that never left.

GGTTH
    On yer bike.

It was an upward spiral that Mowbray talked about.

Agree with the rest but.

As somebody that started attending regularly at the beginning of the 80s, with a core home support of only about 5,000, I'm amazed at the size of the crowds we've been having in the last two seasons.

When I was a kid, I felt like ER was a lonely place, a massive, nearly empty stadium with only lingering memories of the glory days. It feels so different now that it's hard to put into words.

I have to laugh when the only thing we've got to 'complain' about are the empty seats in the FF Lower and the location of the Singing Section.

p.s. Wikipedia has our average home league attendance at 17,990 (taking into account saturday's attendance, not yet posted).
    Last edited by Keith_M; 19-02-2018 at 01:47 PM.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    As somebody that started attending regularly at the beginning of the 80s, with a core home support of only about 5,000, I'm amazed at the size of the crowds we've been having in the last two seasons.

When I was a kid, I felt like ER was a lonely place, a massive, nearly empty stadium with only lingering memories of the glory days. It feels so different now that it's hard to put into words.

I have to laugh when the only thing we've got to 'complain' about are the empty seats in the FF Lower and the location of the Singing Section.

p.s. Wikipedia has our average home league attendance at 17,990 (taking into account saturday's attendance, not yet posted).
    Average attendances larger than the stadiums capacity with the old east stand if that’s the case.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    The fans have responded to the team's performances and results, but spectacularly so.

I now genuinely think Hibs have a chance of winning every game, and I almost expect them to do so. Previously, I obviously hoped we'd win, but a loss wasn't a surprise. It is now.

I'm traveling up for the game again on Wednesday and staying overnight, plus I'll be there against hearts making it 3 home games in a row. I don't think I'd have gone to those lengths before so that tells you something about the match day experience these days.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Average attendances larger than the stadiums capacity with the old east stand if that’s the case.
    http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/club_...attendance.php
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar

GGTTH
    Well said, Matty - seasons like this are what makes going through all the tough times worthwhile.

Remember how the Jambos used to drone about "they'll never fill that stand" - have they managed to fill theirs yet?

I'm pretty sure a poster on here referred to the new East as a White Elephant more than once - building it, and for the price we did, has been brilliant for us. And might help nudge us ahead of Aberdeen when they have to start building their new stadium.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    According to those stats, we are now not a kick in the backside off being double of what we were only TWO seasons ago

We were discussing in the pub after the game on Saturday, Rod is going to have a BIG decision to make pretty soon, given the number of fans attending Easter Road.
    Do we go for filling in the corners, or should we be looking at building another tier on top of the stand already there?

GGTTH
    Good post.

Is hope as the bigger crowds get more accustomed to being there your rocking will really step up a gear or three at it will be really rocking! I think we've got a lot of decibels to come :-)
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    We were discussing in the pub after the game on Saturday, Rod is going to have a BIG decision to make pretty soon, given the number of fans attending Easter Road.
    Do we go for filling in the corners, or should we be looking at building another tier on top of the stand already there?
    Think how good the place would look (and sound) with the corners filled in!

Testimonial Due
    Theae crowds are ace, but im against money being spent on any non essential infrastructure, probably until suxh times as our repayments to STF stop.

All money into the team, its time to try and build on solid foundations we have.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Good thread. Well done us

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    Theae crowds are ace, but im against money being spent on any non essential infrastructure, probably until suxh times as our repayments to STF stop.

All money into the team, its time to try and build on solid foundations we have.
    Too right Keith, we'd need to have a full stadium for years to even think about building more space - and the only way that will happen is if the money being spent by fans is then spent on the team.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't know but rather suspect that the costs of building further onto ER would be incredibly expensive as whatever is required would need to be somehow joined onto the existing structures.

Even as a regular supporter of infrastructure projects and taking the long view, I would find it hard to support that at this time, unless we had a Tarquin Primrose or the like picking up the entire tab.

We need to provide the full size Indoor Training Pitch required for EM first anyway :-)

We should only ever IMO think about expansion of ER when we are sold out every game for 2 or 3 seasons consistently and with a waiting list for season tickets.

It would be interesting to see what happened to attendance numbers if we had a mediocre / poor season, but I will happily wait a long long time to have that question answered :-)

Left by mutual consent!
    Need the corners built pronto for the Europa League group games followed by Champions League qualifiers with the rate of this upward spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Need the corners built pronto for the Europa League group games followed by Champions League qualifiers with the rate of this upward spiral.
    Even just fill in the corner between the FF and the East. Could give you a decent safe standing area. Can’t imagine it would be hugely expensive and I’m sure it would prove to be very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    Think how good the place would look (and sound) with the corners filled in!
    And it would not be so cold in the depths of winter with that wind (in the middle of the lower east anyway).

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    The feelgood factor amongst the fans was brilliant after the game on Saturday. We've backed the club all the way and should be very proud of that.

As for filling in bits of the stadium etc, maybe for the future. Just now we still aren't able to match the Sheep and Hearts for wages, lets carry n invsting in the team and consider stadium expansion if we sustain these crowds over the next 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post

That's my vintage to. At times it seemed the club was dying with poor crowds, no atmosphere and often a very negative vibe. The support has been astonishing. The cup win clearly, but other factors too, have re-kindled our belief and now,while, outside the big games, Easter Road can remain quiet, the degree of positivity and support has transformed the experience. The team has responded as others have said. These guys look like they really want the best for the club. We have had continuity of players (I think before relegation we had churned 100 journey men in just a few seasons) - who would have believed McGinn would still be here, for example, 3 years later, (previous Boards just took the money and ran) and a team who can pass, have grit and put proper effort in. No longer will prospective players think twice before joining the Hibs given all the failures and recriminations- they know we have a very large, positive support.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    It's ****ing rubbish. Took me an hour and a half to get home to the Wee *****y on Saturday after the game. Too many folk making the roads too busy. I long for those 7/8000 crowds. Seriously though, I am actually trying to manage my sons expectations that 20000 crowds and being serious contenders at the top of the league and for the cups may not be the norm. I really hope that it's not a false dawn but truly is just the upward spiral that we all want. In 45 years of following Hibs I have never experienced the levels of support, expectancy, enthusiasm, belonging, togetherness and excitement about the club. Long may it continue, it's a great time to be a Hibby

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    It's ****ing rubbish. Took me an hour and a half to get home to the Wee *****y on Saturday after the game. Too many folk making the roads too busy. I long for those 7/8000 crowds. Seriously though, I am actually trying to manage my sons expectations that 20000 crowds and being serious contenders at the top of the league and for the cups may not be the norm. I really hope that it's not a false dawn but truly is just the upward spiral that we all want. In 45 years of following Hibs I have never experienced the levels of support, expectancy, enthusiasm, belonging, togetherness and excitement about the club. Long may it continue, it's a great time to be a Hibby

my youngest is 8 later this year and thinks this is the norm. Couldn’t believe we’d lost the last derby cos that’s not what we do.

GGTTH

It must give the players a huge lift as well running out to these crowds compared to a few seasons ago

GGTTH

I’m no architect or surveyor but would it be possible to sink the pitch and add more rows at the front of the current stands? Seem to have loads of space between the stands and the pitch

Also, the population of Edinburgh is expected to grow by 120k by 2037 - they’re all gonna need somewhere to watch the football!

If we are getting crowds of 20k just now and the population of Edinburgh is 500k we are getting around 4% of Edinburgh into ER.

If we are to maintain that figure in 2037 we’ll need a 25k seater stadium.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Could you foresee a positions where the big games are played at Murrayfield for both Hearts and Hibs?

The precedent has kinda been set already - not like it’s going into the unknown.’if folks seem to be favouring at as a replacement for Hampden then why not consider it?

T He alternative is postential lost revenue - Hearts must have been the only club to actually generate more revenue (gate receipts) whilst their new stand was built.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Could you foresee a positions where the big games are played at Murrayfield for both Hearts and Hibs?

No!

Quote Originally Posted by El Gubbz View Post
    I’m no architect or surveyor but would it be possible to sink the pitch and add more rows at the front of the current stands? Seem to have loads of space between the stands and the pitch
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gubbz View Post
    Also, the population of Edinburgh is expected to grow by 120k by 2037 - they’re all gonna need somewhere to watch the football!

If we are getting crowds of 20k just now and the population of Edinburgh is 500k we are getting around 4% of Edinburgh into ER.

If we are to maintain that figure in 2037 we’ll need a 25k seater stadium.
    It's certainly going to be a problem that Rod is going to have to attend to in the not to distant future. Whilst the 'Wee team in Gorgie' are struggling to attract their 14,000, we really need to be looking at how we are going to fit every Hibs fan in to the ground.