hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mark Oxley

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m genuinely baffled at the amount of folk who keep coming out with the “He never had many howlers” line.

I can only assume it they’ve been forgotten about over time as they came in fairly low profile games.
    You trolling/talking nonsense is the safer assumption.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I’m genuinely baffled at the amount of folk who keep coming out with the “He never had many howlers” line.

I can only assume it they’ve been forgotten about over time as they came in fairly low profile games.
    I genuinely can't remember many.

One stinker on the dodgy pitch at Alloa but that's it.

And he never had one in a big game.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

He should have saved the shot from ozturk in the derby, straight down his throat .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    Oxley didnt play with any of those defenders. They had all left by the time Oxley signed in 2014.

I thought he was bang average and that we shouldnt have signed him after his year on loan. Seemed a good lad though and he played his part in our cup run so wish him all the best.
    I was talking about Ben Williams.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    I liked him, decent solid keeper.

Rarely made world class saves but rarely made any howlers - which puts him ahead of most of our keepers over the past 20 years.

We had a lot of big games against Rangers, Hearts and Premier League teams in the cup when he was with us - and he never let us down in the big games.

Didn't deserve any of the stick he got - glad to hear he's doing well.
    Rarely made any saves, but rarely made any howlers.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries

The Alloa one is one. Howlers at home to Rangers twice, Falkirk and Morton also spring to kind along with two obvious ones away to Raith and Dumbarton.

That’s 6 howlers off the top of my head. Like I say, those saying he rarely made must have forgotten due to the games being of a lower profile. Also fair to note that Championship games didn’t get the same TV coverage as we’re used to so people not at the games might never have seen them at all.

Those are only the obvious ones, there’s plenty more contentious ones that can be fairly argued either way
    Last edited by My_Wife_Camille; 18-02-2018 at 02:53 PM.

The Alloa one is one. Howlers at home to Rangers twice, Falkirk and Morton also spring to kind along with two obvious ones away to Raith and Dumbarton.

That’s 6 howlers off the top of my head. Like I say, those saying he rarely made must have forgotten due to the games being of a lower profile. Also fair to note that Championship games didn’t get the same TV coverage as we’re used to so people not at the games might never have seen them at all.

Those are only the obvious ones, there’s plenty more contentious ones that can be fairly argued either way

Beaten by a tavernier freekick at Ibrox too from an angle he should never have been beaten from. Marciano Has been a massive upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Zero shot stopping ability particularly with the high shots. Could not catch a cross. He could kick a ball far though and a good lad in the changing room but sounds like he's found his level, good luck to him.
    Harsh and really no need TBH

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Beaten by a tavernier freekick at Ibrox too from an angle he should never have been beaten from. Marciano Has been a massive upgrade
    I agree with that completely but one I’ve filed under ‘fair debate’ along with the Ozturk goal, Lewis MacLeod for Rangers in the Petriefac Cup and others.

He was particularly poor in dealing with shots from distance. The number of long range efforts we conceded with Oxley in goals was far too high to just be coincidence and he had an awful habit of positioning himself far to close to his near post.
    Last edited by My_Wife_Camille; 18-02-2018 at 03:08 PM.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    A

A number of folk with short memories or just thought Ox was the biz, he may well be a very nice guy and respect for being a squad member of our cup winning team but am I glad he is not in goals now. I used to S h I t myself every time the ball went near him sorry Ox wish you well mate but pleased to see the back of you!

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    He should have saved the shot from ozturk in the derby, straight down his throat .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    No it wasn't, right over his head

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    Oxley didnt play with any of those defenders. They had all left by the time Oxley signed in 2014.
    Proper slap in the chops if true! :-)

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Seemed like a decent guy and people claiming things like the Tavernier free kick at Ibrox were "howlers" are at it. Should have done better, yes, but definitely not a howler. Probably not good enough for us as he just seemed to be one of these goalies that didn't do a lot obviously wrong but there must have been something as he didn't save much. Glad to hear he's doing well and hopefully he keeps on improving.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Seemed like a decent guy and people claiming things like the Tavernier free kick at Ibrox were "howlers" are at it. Should have done better, yes, but definitely not a howler. Probably not good enough for us as he just seemed to be one of these goalies that didn't do a lot obviously wrong but there must have been something as he didn't save much. Glad to hear he's doing well and hopefully he keeps on improving.
    The point I’m making is that the Tavernier and Ozturk ones weren’t out and out howlers necessarily. My opinion is that he was at fault but think there is enough fair points on the other side to say that both have a fair case.

Im also saying though that even if you were to totally discount those and go as far to say that they were in fact 100% not his fault at all, there are still at least 6 other clear cut shockers that he had that shouldn’t even be up for debate.

I’ve given 6 example of where he has made very obvious howlers that were every bit as bad as Malkowski produced yet people are still coming on here saying he didn’t do an awful lot wrong. I can genuinely only assume they either didn’t see them or have forgotten because they weren’t against Hearts.

If anyone was to give an example of any of Malkowski’s shockers then there’s an Oxley one that’s comparable if not near identical
    Last edited by My_Wife_Camille; 18-02-2018 at 04:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Malkowski was a bomb scare - you’re using examples of great strikes (Tavernier) to day he was as bad.

Decent attempt at a wind up but you’ve taken it a step too far for most now - we can see through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Malkowski was a bomb scare - you’re using examples of great strikes (Tavernier) to day he was as bad.

Decent attempt at a wind up but you’ve taken it a step too far for most now - we can see through it.

Saying mark oxley was a poor goalkeeper is not a wind up, it's a fact.

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm sorry but if you think Oxley is anywhere near as bad as Zibi you need to lay off the smack.

Oxley was a solid enough goalkeeper. He didn't have many howlers that I can think of - though the one against Rangers still sticks in my mind. We still won 3-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnzN5UGFzYs

He'll always be remembered for this though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfnTEH8H7wQ

EZ

Quote Originally Posted by eezyrider View Post
    Oxley was a solid enough goalkeeper. He didn't have many howlers that I can think of - though the one against Rangers still sticks in my mind. We still won 3-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnzN5UGFzYs

He'll always be remembered for this though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfnTEH8H7wQ

EZ
    That one against Rangers was a tough one for Oxley. It was right after Logans heroics in the semi final and just after Stubbs had stated 'Mark in my number 1' and it put him under real pressure.

Folk tend to forget, understandably so to some extent, that Logan was quite possibly at fault for Raiths goal in the away leg of the 1st play off round and definitely for Falkirks late goal in the home leg of the semi. The Dundee Utd game and the fact he started in the final paint a rosy picture. Tbh I'm quite happy both Oxley and Logan have moved on.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    That one against Rangers was a tough one for Oxley. It was right after Logans heroics in the semi final and just after Stubbs had stated 'Mark in my number 1' and it put him under real pressure.

Folk tend to forget, understandably so to some extent, that Logan was quite possibly at fault for Raiths goal in the away leg of the 1st play off round and definitely for Falkirks late goal in the home leg of the semi. The Dundee Utd game and the fact he started in the final paint a rosy picture. Tbh I'm quite happy both Oxley and Logan have moved on.
    No **** Sherlock.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries

I’m not doing that at all. I’m saying the Tavernier ones are a fair argument. I have an opinion but accept it’s not a clear cut case so haven’t included them.

None of the 6 howlers I am talking about however were anything close to great strikes.

Once again, if someone wants to give me an example of a Malkowski mistake I’ll give you an Oxley one that was just as bad.

Nobody seems to want to do that though. I wonder why?

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    I'm sorry but if you think Oxley is anywhere near as bad as Zibi you need to lay off the smack.
    And another one. Show me a Malkowski howler and I’ll show you an equally bad Oxley one.

Malkowski was awful but the fact his mistakes were against Hearts distorts the picture somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    No **** Sherlock.
    Well yes but my point was about perception.

Pro rata Logan probably had as many 'howlers' as Oxley, one of them very costly, but the way they are both viewed is entirely different.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    I’m not doing that at all. I’m saying the Tavernier ones are a fair argument. I have an opinion but accept it’s not a clear cut case so haven’t included them.

None of the 6 howlers I am talking about however were anything close to great strikes.

Once again, if someone wants to give me an example of a Malkowski mistake I’ll give you an Oxley one that was just as bad.

Nobody seems to want to do that though. I wonder why?
    Cos we’re not biting. If you’ve forgotten how bad Malkowski then I’m happy for you. I’m a long way from forgetting him.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries

Pro rata Logan probably had as many 'howlers' as Oxley, one of them very costly, but the way they are both viewed is entirely different.
    This is true but the Raith one (which I agree with you on) is exactly the kind of goal that Oxley wouldn’t be blamed for. There’s certainly enough examples of Oxley being beaten in similar circumstances that nobody would blame him for. If we’re counting those then Oxleys ‘Howler’ count probably more than doubles immediately

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar

Over analysed.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Cos we’re not biting. If you’ve forgotten how bad Malkowski then I’m happy for you. I’m a long way from forgetting him.
    You see I just think that it’s because you know fine well that Oxley has made a number of mistakes that are at the very least just as bad as anything that Malkowski did and it’s easier to say you’re not biting than to accept it

if I was just at the wind up then surely it would be easy enough to prove me
    wrong?

Also, it’s ironic that you imply that I’ve forgotten how bad Malkowski was when (IIRC) you were the person who admitted that they couldn’t remember the Oxley mistakes and so they didn’t count.
    Last edited by My_Wife_Camille; 18-02-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Over analysed.
    Probably but I still think it's accurate.

I also agree with MWC to the extent that Zibi is perceived in a worse light because of the games his mistakes came in. I remember him having many very good games for Hibs. I was at the 0-3 Sproule game at Ibrox, actually there as opposed to the 10K who now claim to have been there, and he was outstanding that day. Likewise he was very good in the 'unbeatable' derby.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Nice guy, dreadful keeper. Always felt any half decent shot against him would end up in the net. Ozturk's shot was a v good effort but still think Oxley should have stopped it, looked straight over his head to me. If he jumped instead of just sticking a hand up he would have reached it.

I wish him all the best, but glad he's gone. While Marciano has had a few bad games this season in general he's far better than Oxley. Clearly NL didn't think Oxley was up to much as he was quick to get rid of him.

@hibs.net private member
    You see I just think that it’s because you know fine well that Oxley has made a number of mistakes that are at the very least just as bad as anything that Malkowski did and it’s easier to say you’re not biting than to accept it

if I was just at the wind up then surely it would be easy enough to prove me
    wrong?

Also, it’s ironic that you imply that I’ve forgotten how bad Malkowski was when (IIRC) you were the person who admitted that they couldn’t remember the Oxley mistakes and so they didn’t count.

You could say it’s ironic, or you could say if I can remember 10+ years ago but not 2 years ago then maybe they weren’t as bad,

Get some videos of “all” the blunders and some comparisons can be done if the Malkowski stuff is still available.

In fact I find this debate a bit tiring - you won’t change your mind so theres no point - iirc we left this debate last time on the fact you didn’t like him cos he had a beard and drank coffee.