hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Oxley

Mark Oxley

Hi there, Southend supporter here (hence the blue font)! Just thought I'd update you all on his spell down here.

Fair to say he got off to a shaky start but this season has been all you'd want. A decent 'keeper for us, we're all well pleased with him. He sometimes sticks to his line a bit (in my opinion anyway) but otherwise, like American Express, "that'll do nicely"! He had a tough act to follow, Daniel Bentley, who went to
    Brentford for £700,000.

Pip pip!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi there, Southend supporter here (hence the blue font)! Just thought I'd update you all on his spell down here.

Fair to say he got off to a shaky start but this season has been all you'd want. A decent 'keeper for us, we're all well pleased with him. He sometimes sticks to his line a bit (in my opinion anyway) but otherwise, like American Express, "that'll do nicely"! He had a tough act to follow, Daniel Bentley, who went to
    Brentford for £700,000.

Pip pip!
    Good to hear. Thanks for posting.

Cheers Rob. Liked the Ox but we needed am upgrade, he was a bit unlucky to be overshadowed by Rochdale's polar bear in run up to the final.

Seemed a good bloke, good luck for season run in.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar

Brentford for £700,000.

Pip pip!
    Has he scored yet?

Brentford for £700,000.

Pip pip!
    Pleased the Ox is doing well. Met him once and he was a delightful chap. Decent shot stopper, not great at coming off his line, as you say.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I hope he does really well for you. Was a much better keeper than some gave him credit for, and a good guy to have around as well.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Was a solid keeper and still young, didn't deserve half the abuse he took. Glad he is doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Pleased the Ox is doing well. Met him once and he was a delightful chap. Decent shot stopper, not great at coming off his line, as you say.
    He always seemed a nice guy and a good laugh on outside the box. But I never remembered him saving that many shots, it seemed that whenever we had a shot against us it would go in. Maybe harsh but we've improved big time with Ofir

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Souter96Mac View Post
    He always seemed a nice guy and a good laugh on outside the box. But I never remembered him saving that many shots, it seemed that whenever we had a shot against us it would go in. Maybe harsh but we've improved big time with Ofir
    I think his ‘problem’ was that he did the basics very well, except maybe for cross balls. He rarely made a total arse of anything (he will have on the odd occasion, all keepers do) but equally I can’t really remember him making too many outstanding match winning saves.

Left by mutual consent!
    Zero shot stopping ability particularly with the high shots. Could not catch a cross. He could kick a ball far though and a good lad in the changing room but sounds like he's found his level, good luck to him.
    Last edited by The_Horde; 18-02-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    A poor goalkeeper who struggled at Championship level and would have been an absolute nightmare in the Premiership, assuming we would have even been promoted with him in goals.

He made just as many howlers as Malkowski but was somewhat fortunate that they weren’t really in such high profile games and are more likely to be forgotten as a result (as can be evidenced from this thread already).

I think its telling that the one game that people constantly bring up when trying to prove that he was a good keeper is the 4-0 game against Rangers when they didn’t even register a single shot on target.

He’s a young keeper with time on his side and he played a part in the cup run so I hope he does well for himself. I also don’t agree with the people saying he was bad at crosses, I actually thought that was the one thing he was pretty reliable at.

Brentford for £700,000.

Pip pip!
    Is The Cornucopia pub still open in Southend? Must be the smallest pub I've ever been in.

@hibs.net private member
    There’s no danger he made as many errors as Malkowski. Not even close. No one touches Malkowski in that respect.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: n/A
    Had the pleasure of meeting him at a charity do once. He was surprisingly down to earth, and VERY funny.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Zero shot stopping ability is bollocks. He let the boo boys get to him but he had a number of very good games, one at Ibrox in particular.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    He was bang average, stayed on his line too much for me, and as someone else said, he seemed to let too many shots in that you would think he maybe should have done better.

We have an upgrade now, and i personally don't think we'd have won the semi final if he'd been between the sticks instead of big Conrad.

Oxley is still young enough to hopefully improve though, but i just think we needed better and i always go back to folk saying here, that we won't get much better than Oxley, or Williams before that.

Well we have, and there are better keepers out there in our price range, a good manager will find them.

Spent many a weekend in Southend when i lived in St Albans, we always seemed to end up in the hole in the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    He was bang average, stayed on his line too much for me, and as someone else said, he seemed to let too many shots in that you would think he maybe should have done better.

We have an upgrade now, and i personally don't think we'd have won the semi final if he'd been between the sticks instead of big Conrad.

Oxley is still young enough to hopefully improve though, but i just think we needed better and i always go back to folk saying here, that we won't get much better than Oxley, or Williams before that.

Well we have, and there are better keepers out there in our price range, a good manager will find them.

Spent many a weekend in Southend when i lived in St Albans, we always seemed to end up in the hole in the wall.
    Until we replaced our GK coach with Marcella Ben Williams was every bit as good as Marciano. Another player Butcher ruined.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by guyll123 View Post
    Had the pleasure of meeting him at a charity do once. He was surprisingly down to earth, and VERY funny.
    My pal met him at the poty bash and said similar. Good egg but a bit suspect in the sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Until we replaced our GK coach with Marcella Ben Williams was every bit as good as Marciano. Another player Butcher ruined.
    Williams for me was the best keeper we’d had in years. But that was following on from some absolute horrors. I’d say big Ben was no more than average in the bigger scheme of things. Marciano is far superior.

He was a decent enough keeper for the level we were at. Made the odd mistake but was generally steady without ever really being outstanding.

I'm glad he's doing well where he is now. We've improved in that area and it sounds like he may have improved as well. A win win really.

Decent keeper. Seems a good guy and dont have a bad word to say about him. Always tried his best. Once a Hibee..

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

Not for me, Williams was a good shot stopper and for a while seemed to save every penalty he faced too, but he was another dracula who just couldnt go near a cross, and caused real confusion at times with his defense.

Saying that he did have some huddys in front of him.

I remember his communication being good. Unfortunately he had Stephens, O'Hanlon, McPake etc who had no idea about positioning which left him exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by guyll123 View Post
    I got it mate

Pleased to hear he is doing well .... it is possible for players to go up or down when they move on and perhaps the Ox has improved since he left us.... he wasn't terrible at ER but there certainly was room for improvement.

His lost contact lens at Inverness caused a chain of events that turned Conrad Logan into a Hibs legend after he chose to have the game of his life in the Scottish cup semi final .... funny how things work out

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Pleased to hear he is doing well .... it is possible for players to go up or down when they move on and perhaps the Ox has improved since he left us.... he wasn't terrible at ER but there certainly was room for improvement.

His lost contact lens at Inverness caused a chain of events that turned Conrad Logan into a Hibs legend after he chose to have the game of his life in the Scottish cup semi final .... funny how things work out
    The entire Scottish cup run would make an incredible movie.

I liked him, decent solid keeper.

Rarely made world class saves but rarely made any howlers - which puts him ahead of most of our keepers over the past 20 years.

We had a lot of big games against Rangers, Hearts and Premier League teams in the cup when he was with us - and he never let us down in the big games.

Didn't deserve any of the stick he got - glad to hear he's doing well.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Part of the legendary cup winning squad.
    Good luck to him
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    I’m genuinely baffled at the amount of folk who keep coming out with the “He never had many howlers” line.

I can only assume it they’ve been forgotten about over time as they came in fairly low profile games.

I remember his communication being good. Unfortunately he had Stephens, O'Hanlon, McPake etc who had no idea about positioning which left him exposed.
    Oxley didnt play with any of those defenders. They had all left by the time Oxley signed in 2014.

I thought he was bang average and that we shouldnt have signed him after his year on loan. Seemed a good lad though and he played his part in our cup run so wish him all the best.