hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mark Oxley

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oxley is one of four players who spring to mind when it comes to some of the most bizarre debates on Hibs.net:

Oxley: in my eyes, he was fine for us, certainly wasn't perfect but the amount of posters who claimed (and some clearly still do) that he was awful was truly perplexing.

Malonga: as far as I'm concerned he was a joy to watch, and a footballer I'm delighted to have seen play for us. Given that he was an out of window signing as a replacement for El Al Agui who was injured when we were at our lowest ebb in years (having lost away at Alloa, our third defeat in a row, and third from our first four games in the Championship), he was great for us, and most importantly, scored a lot of goals. Delivered in the big games also. Amazed that so many didn't like or rate him.

Barker: my opinion of him is that he is an absolute joy to watch. People of this board have cried out for a"pacey wide man" for many years, and I really don't see how we could have signed a better one within our budget. If we had signed Lewis Morgan and he delivered the performances that Barker has, I firmly believe that people would rave about him - same goes if he were a product of our own youth system, instead of Man City's. I know that there are plenty on here who do appreciate him, but I'm truly perplexed at how many don't at all.

Isaiah Osbourne: possibly the most curious debate of all. I watched Osbourne in every home game he played at ER, and I saw each one pass him by - he never imposed himself on any of them. I believe that he had a couple of good games away from ER when he was here, but I missed those - regardless, that return from the 35 matches (one goal) that he played for us, was very disappointing. I was delighted when Blackpool came in and gave us money for him, but there was a huge debate when he left, with many posters insisting that he had somehow been excellent for us.
    I agree with all that bar Osbourne - I thought he did a good job at breaking play up (like Bartley or Claros, but not as good).
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    Dont think Osbourne played in a 4-1 win over there
    Of course, you are correct.

This game http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...m/16453343.stm in between the 4-1 home game and the GOC God can judge one

Left by mutual consent!
    Had a think last night and I can remember a few errors from Oxley.

First and most rotten one was against nade at Dumbarton when he came flying out for a cross, with defenders there and nade headed it in.

Second is against rangers at home when waghorn somehow put the ball across/under him despite him getting a hand to it.

Third rangers again in the 3-2 game where foderingham also made a howler and gundo scored the winner

Fourth alloa when it slipped through his arms

Fifth a spill at home to falkirk in the cup winning season and Baird (i think) tapped in

Sixth was again away at dumbarton.. A low shot spilled and tapped in in very similar fashion to the above

I'm 100% sure there's more than a few where he's stupidly beaten at his near post and others where he was almost diving in slow motion but my memory is beating me.
    Last edited by The_Horde; 21-02-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Had a think last night and I can remember a few errors from Oxley.

First and most rotten one was against nade at Dumbarton when he came flying out for a cross, with defenders there and nade headed it in.

Second is against rangers at home when waghorn somehow put the ball across/under him despite him getting a hand to it.

Third rangers again in the 3-2 game where foderingham also made a howler and gundo scored the winner

Fourth alloa when it slipped through his arms

Fifth a spill at home to falkirk in the cup winning season and Baird (i think) tapped in

Sixth was again away at dumbarton.. A low shot spilled and tapped in in very similar fashion to the above

I'm 100% sure there's more than a few where he's stupidly beaten at his near post and others where he was almost diving in slow motion but my memory is beating me.
    I also remember Morton at home where he palmed a low cross straight to the feet of the attacker to score an open goal.

Also one at home to Alloa where the striker hit a side footed volley straight at him. All he had to do was stand and catch it but he fumbled it and it went in.

I make that 8 blunders so far and there’s probably more. Not bad for a keeper who didn’t make many mistakes

Left by mutual consent!
    He must also have one of the worst shot to save average theres ever been at Hibs.

Teams seemed tobe getting 1 or 2 shots....and scoring 1 or 2 goals.

Seemed like a descent guy though...so happy hes found his level.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    Anyone that leaves Hibs is on the descent IMO.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    He must also have one of the worst shot to save average theres ever been at Hibs.

Teams seemed tobe getting 1 or 2 shots....and scoring 1 or 2 goals.

I think that was the point/argument I hated most when Oxley was here.

It doesn't really matter if there was only 1 or 2 shots...they're either save-able, or they aren't. If we're limiting teams to 1 or 2 chances, and they're taking those chances well, it doesn't automatically mean the keepers been poor.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

It doesn't really matter if there was only 1 or 2 shots...they're either save-able, or they aren't. If we're limiting teams to 1 or 2 chances, and they're taking those chances well, it doesn't automatically mean the keepers been poor.
    Maybe not as a one off or on the odd occasions but when it becomes a noticeable pattern over the course of 2 years then at the very least it’s worth a discussion.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Maybe not as a one off or on the odd occasions but when it becomes a noticeable pattern over the course of 2 years then at the very least it’s worth a discussion.
    No it doesn't. It's only worth a discussion if he's at fault. If he's not at fault the discussion is utterly pointless.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jakesawers2008
    How many points did Oxley win us?

I cant think of any. The best thing he ever done for Hibs was losing his contact lens to miss the Dundee United game.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    No it doesn't. It's only worth a discussion if he's at fault. If he's not at fault the discussion is utterly pointless.
    How do we decide if he’s at fault without having the discussion is what I’m getting at.

If if it happens as often as it did maybe it was more than just a bit of bad luck. Maybe he is, as suspected, just a big honking jobby as a goalkeeper

I always felt pretty safe with Oxley in the big games against Hearts and Rangers.

He did a lot of routine - fairly difficult stuff well. Caught crosses, held onto fairly firm shots that were fairly close to him. His positioning was generally pretty good. That puts him ahead of at least 50% of our goalkeepers in the last 15 years.

I honestly don't remember most of the games being spoken about here (I think the sooner we get much of our latest adventure out of our memories the better tbh) and I honestly don't look back and remember loads of Oxley gaffes, but equally I don't remember many great saves.

I remember him being fairly solid, if unspectacular.

I quite like who we currently have though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I always felt pretty safe with Oxley in the big games against Hearts and Rangers.

He did a lot of routine - fairly difficult stuff well. Caught crosses, held onto fairly firm shots that were fairly close to him. His positioning was generally pretty good. That puts him ahead of at least 50% of our goalkeepers in the last 15 years.

I honestly don't remember most of the games being spoken about here (I think the sooner we get much of our latest adventure out of our memories the better tbh) and I honestly don't look back and remember loads of Oxley gaffes but equally I don't remember many great saves.

I remember him being fairly solid, if unspectacular.

I quite like who we currently have though.
    Promise this isn’t a dig at you but this seems to be the reason people think Oxley was fairly solid. Another poster further up gave 6 examples of clear gaffes and I have another two but the common theme is that people simply don’t remember them.

Imo if Oxley had made the exact same clangers in games against Hearts he would be getting nowhere near the same backing.

Promise this isn’t a dig at you but this seems to be the reason people think Oxley was fairly solid. Another poster further up gave 6 examples of clear gaffes and I have another two but the common theme is that people simply don’t remember them.

Imo if Oxley had made the exact same clangers in games against Hearts he would be getting nowhere near the same backing.
    I think I am in many ways agreeing with you.

The point has been made that Zibi actually had a number of very good games for us, which he did. He saved his worst mistakes, his worst performances and a wee wave for games against Hearts and that is what people will remember.

I remember Oxley letting in a stinker at Alloa, and that's the only one bad enough to stick in my memory (probably because so many of the games were forgettable).

We needed to win every game when we were in the first division so it didn't really matter whether gaffes came in the wee games rather than the big ones.

But now we're in the premier again - if a goalkeeper is going to have the odd howler, I'd rather they weren't against Hearts or at Ibrox. It is good to go into big games with confidence in your keeper (we clearly differ in our opinions as to whether or not Oxley merited confidence going into those games).

Left by mutual consent!
    Zibi can be summed up by the fact that when Hearts fans started to mock him by signing "Zibi Zibi give us a wave" he actually gave a wave.

That performance against Hearts in the semi final drubbing was the worst performance I've ever seen in a Hibs shirt, and no matter how bad a player plays they will always be one level above that ****.

Left by mutual consent!

He probably conceded more goals than actual saves he made though....so it is a point!

Oxley was gash. Never had any confidence with him between the sticks, I'd take big Conrad, Laidlaw and Marciano over him every day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    Oxley was gash. Never had any confidence with him between the sticks, I'd take big Conrad, Laidlaw and Marciano over him every day of the week.

Logan is rightly remembered fondly because of the semi final. Made a few mistakes in games after that and it should be noted that Oxley is currently playing in a higher league than Logan.