hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The front 2

Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jesus wept. We battered Aberdeen today and here is a thread with people moaning about our strikers. FFS

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Thought they were excellent today. Might sound daft but I love the fact that their not afraid to have a go/pop at goal which is maybe something we've been missing.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough BigT-Hibeez's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibeez68
    Wasn't long ago Boyle was getting slated for his failure to finish on one on ones.... He'll be chuffed that McLaren is getting the flak now..!!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    A vast improvement on what we had before the transfer window and I was a big fan of Murray.

Coaching Staff
    Kamberi looks to be one of these strikers that appears at the right place at the right time in games - occupies defenders and I also noticed last two games he winds defenders up by talking to them and clearly says things that antagonises them and causes them to lose focus.

McLaren works really hard and gets in behind - like a poor version of Scott McDonald (not a criticism at all), in fact the pair of them show good game intelligence when we break and they work space well. First time in ages I've seen all our midfield get shots away, which was only down to the space the front pair created

@hibs.net private member
    Missed the game today and my only input is to share Michael Stewart's comments on the radio. He felt that the front two were the weak links today and that a decent number 9 was needed.
    Having said that, he also offered the gem that when McInnes plays a different formation to his strongest one, the team just aren't as good ..... which I guess is about the perfect definition why the strongest formation is the strongest? or am I missing something.

Personally happier with MacLaren missing a few than Murray not getting the ball at all. If he's in the right place and getting the ball, the goals will come.

Will look forward to watching the recording of the alba game in the morning.

Strikers have those days, he kept going regardless. He'll be so motivated to bag one next week after that

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davemcbain View Post
    Missed the game today and my only input is to share Michael Stewart's comments on the radio. He felt that the front two were the weak links today and that a decent number 9 was needed.
    Having said that, he also offered the gem that when McInnes plays a different formation to his strongest one, the team just aren't as good ..... which I guess is about the perfect definition why the strongest formation is the strongest? or am I missing something.

Personally happier with MacLaren missing a few than Murray not getting the ball at all. If he's in the right place and getting the ball, the goals will come.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised and at odds with the viewpoint of Mr Stewart.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Weird I mentioned playing these two up front, a small nippy striker playing off a bigger centre forward and got told it wasn't the 1960's anymore...thought they linked up superbly today.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by davemcbain View Post

Not sure about 'weak links' but McLaren will be disappointed he didn't finish at least two from open play - but they were not weak, they worked the Aberdeen backline and it's very very unusual to see Aberdeen's back 3/4 not even penetrate the opposition half - which I'm sure Michael will now look at for the Sportscene coverage probably because Kamberi and Jamie were 'strong links' at closing down space

I had him on to score anytime so I wasn't best pleased with him earlier, but he's a quality wee player and will score a good few IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Not sure about 'weak links' but McLaren will be disappointed he didn't finish at least two from open play - but they were not weak, they worked the Aberdeen backline and it's very very unusual to see Aberdeen's back 3/4 not even penetrate the opposition half - which I'm sure Michael will now look at for the Sportscene coverage probably because Kamberi and Jamie were 'strong links' at closing down space
    Exactly this. Both done really well, fairly average first half then very good second half and those two keeping the Aberdeen back three so deep allowed Allan all the space in the world in the middle. Only let down was the finishing but that’ll come.

McClaren's performance against the Sheep is deserving of a 10 for effort, an assist, and keeping the opposition defence occupied and flustered, and, sadly, 0 for his finishing.
    I like the lad and hope for his sake that he gets that first goal from open play sooner rather than later.

When McLaren first came to Perth Glory he had a few games like that - for a while I wasn't sure if he was a poor striker because he kept missing or a good one because he kept getting into positions and never seemed to let the misses bother him. Glory liked playing 1 up front at that time so he wasn't getting much game time, the coach preferring Andy Keogh.
    When he moved to Brisbane he was getting more game time and was in a better team and his scoring record was superb. Gets a lot of 1 on 1's and usually misses by hitting the keeper rather than missing the target. I'm hopeful that a run of games will see his conversion rate improve again.

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    The front two worked their socks of today and Aberdeen could not handle them. They tried a few things that did not come of, but they continually talk to each other and can only get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member proud_and_green's Avatar
    I thought they worked well together and played closer than we've had front men playing this season which allowed them to support each other. They drew more players into defence which opened up space in midfield.
    Cracking game

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I like Kamberi, McLaren not so much.
    Harsh maybe but the boy had 4 gilt edged chances to score. Hopefully I'm proved to be wrong.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Harsh maybe but the boy had 4 gilt edged chances to score. Hopefully I'm proved to be wrong.
    Kamberi hit two shots into Lochend - yet scored a good goal with his only real 'chance'.

Jamie's shot led to Boyle's goal.

I think both will miss plenty chances, but tell you what, did you see the team spirit when we scored both goals ? Wouldn't have seen that with Stokes Both will do fine, and that's Flo on two goals after three games isn't it ?

Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    Jesus wept. We battered Aberdeen today and here is a thread with people moaning about our strikers. FFS

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Kamberi hit two shots into Lochend - yet scored a good goal with his only real 'chance'.

Jamie's shot led to Boyle's goal.

I think both will miss plenty chances, but tell you what, did you see the team spirit when we scored both goals ? Wouldn't have seen that with Stokes Both will do fine, and that's Flo on two goals after three games isn't it ?
    I'm probably moaning for moanings sake. Credit to him for getting into those positions to have a go. Hopefully it happens for him and with Scott's constant through ball's I'm sure it will. Agree regarding the team spirit,it's definitely for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    McClaren's performance against the Sheep is deserving of a 10 for effort, an assist, and keeping the opposition defence occupied and flustered, and, sadly, 0 for his finishing.
    I like the lad and hope for his sake that he gets that first goal from open play sooner rather than later.
    I’ve trawled this thread and this is the exact summation I echo. Great effort, terrible tekkers.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I thought they worked really well as a pair and were full of effort

I think the summation of his first half is pretty harsh on Kamberi as he worked their back line pretty hard and isn't afraid to get stuck in.

Those of you who doubt the effectiveness of pinning their defence back only need to look at the effect Efe's magnificent forward forays had on opening up space for the attack.

Kamberi & MacLaren denied Aberdeen this opportunity.

MacLaren's finishing was poor and even the shot which set up Boyle's goal wasn't a good one as it was at a very easy height to save, but its way too early to reach any conclusions.

They are a substantial upgrade on what we had before and its great to see a front two linking up.

Getting into positions to score is the hard part and I am very hopeful that once he gets his first goal he will be off and running.

Now that the dust has settled would like to see Anthony Stokes back in a Hibs jersey. He’d have had a hatrick today.

It just seemed like last month (it was I think!) that our forward line was one of Stokes, Shaw, Simon Murray and Boyle. Now all but one of those four have gone, we've got two new boys in and we haven't missed a beat. In fact, results against hun and sheep suggest we've reached another level.

Best window ever

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    [QUOTE=truehibernian;5319243First time in ages I've seen all our midfield get shots away, which was only down to the space the front pair created [/QUOTE]

This ais a key feature for me.Whilst i think the attack did not hits the heights the defence and midfield hit today, all three midfield players got in shots and benefited from the space created. I believe we have more chance getting goals from midfield now

Also think Kamberi brings that dimension of holding up play and battering defenders. I would like to see Shaw thrown in later in the game. His development must continue

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Funny, I’m the opposite. I think McLaren looks an excellent player. Very tidy, hard working, good touch and worked hard. He was excellent first half, less so 2nd. He reminded me of Gary Hooper.
    Kamberi I thought looked poor throughout, despite his goal. Having said that, goals win prizes so let’s see what we all think after a few more games. By no means writing the guy off after scoring 2 goals already.
    Last edited by Frazerbob; 18-02-2018 at 07:48 AM.

First Team Breakthrough
    i think when all is said and done the positive to take is that young oli shaw is being given a chance to rest instead of being thrown in every week when perhaps he would burn out before he learned his craft.neil is incredibaly careful with his managing of the younger players,not panicing and rushing to play them until they are ready both physically and mentally which in the long run can only benefit us as a club and team.exciting times ahead I feel ggth.

Quote Originally Posted by cannastar View Post
    i think when all is said and done the positive to take is that young oli shaw is being given a chance to rest instead of being thrown in every week when perhaps he would burn out before he learned his craft.neil is incredibaly careful with his managing of the younger players,not panicing and rushing to play them until they are ready both physically and mentally which in the long run can only benefit us as a club and team.exciting times ahead I feel ggth.
    although by running riot at the Oriam in midweek he's giving Lennon food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_one View Post
    This ais a key feature for me.Whilst i think the attack did not hits the heights the defence and midfield hit today, all three midfield players got in shots and benefited from the space created. I believe we have more chance getting goals from midfield now

Also think Kamberi brings that dimension of holding up play and battering defenders. I would like to see Shaw thrown in later in the game. His development must continue
    Yes, even Dylan had a shot. MacLaren did well teeing it up for him when he realised a shot from himself would probably have been blocked.

Couple of occasions where they took up similar positions and were looking to run into the same space but that awareness will come with training and game time. They both looked excellent today and the midfield were linking well with them from the first whistle. Great stuff.

McClaren doesn’t look the best finisher (hopefully just a bit rusty) but he is involved in a lot of the chances we have so he must be doing something right. If you count that as an assist for Boyle yesterday, along with a winning goal at Ibrox, it’s not a bad return for his only real appearances.

I like Kamberi. I’d be looking to get him signed, along with Allan, in the summer.