hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The front 2

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    It’s still very early in the partnership but the signs are very promising.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Kay-Yay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s still very early in the partnership but the signs are very promising.
    Agree great signs their work rate was terrific and some of the link up was very good.

McLaren reads the offside trap brilliantly. Plays right on last man. I am sure he will start putting chances away as most were on target but blocked or saved. Kamberi shows well, takes ball in and lays it off. Scoring too. I personally am delighted

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I don’t think MacLaren is the greatest of footballers and his finishing was shocking yesterday. He did have the ball in the back of the net at Ibrox from open play, so perhaps yesterday was just a bad day for that.

What I like about him though is that he never gives defenders a minute’s peace and does a power of running. He gets in the right positions time after time.

Him and Kamberi look like a proper partnership that I don’t think we’ve seen for a very long time (certainly not under at least the last 5 managers, except maybe briefly last season) rather than good individual strikers (or crap ones) playing together that we’ve been used to.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I like Mclaren, he works his socks off and creates space for others. I think the Dons keeper deserves some credit for quickly shutting down the opportunities that came Mclaren's way. He reminds me of Gareth Evans who turned out to be a great servant to the Club.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I don’t think MacLaren is the greatest of footballers and his finishing was shocking yesterday. He did have the ball in the back of the net at Ibrox from open play, so perhaps yesterday was just a bad day for that.

What I like about him though is that he never gives defenders a minute’s peace and does a power of running. He gets in the right positions time after time.

Him and Kamberi look like a proper partnership that I don’t think we’ve seen for a very long time (certainly not under at least the last 5 managers, except maybe briefly last season) rather than good individual strikers (or crap ones) playing together that we’ve been used to.
    He hit the target more often than not though, and if he keeps doing that the goals will come.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Scooter's Avatar
    For me Kamberi is what we have been missing along with Allan. Kamberi gives us exactly what Holt gave us. Some one that will tirelessly work the defence even if it's not coming off for them getting their bodies in the way making the defence work for every ball.

Holt didn't score a lot for us but we where usually better with him in the team

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    He hit the target more often than not though, and if he keeps doing that the goals will come.

There are a few posts on this thread slating his finishing. He didn’t get a goal yesterday despite a few good chances but the fact he was there for the good chances and was getting it on target rather than skying it or blasting it wide makes me suspect he will do well for us.

A group of us met after the game in the pub, having sat in different parts of the stadium, and one of the first things that came up was the partnership between the front two. They look like an absolute handful for defenders and that was against the clear best team other than Celtc over the last couple of years.

As others have said, their work rate created space for midfield and defence to push up. At times we were pressing so high it was like a mismatch at youth level. There’s a bit about Aberdeen’s game plan there too though - against lower table sides the movement of Maclaren and Kamberi will be important but we will need patience to allow the midfield to keep possession and work it until they can find an opening.

Really happy with both players and it’s great for the club to have them looking good at this crucial part of the season. Other teams aren’t used to them yet and that gives us an edge.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

I thought McLaren was excellent yesterday.
    Strikers who miss a lot, score a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look like a partnership,very encouraged by these two, if the goals begin to flow we could start hurting teams. Totally optimistic, watching players working for each other is what I like to see.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I thought they were both excellent. A goal and an assist from them yesterday and they worked the defenders all afternoon.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I thought they were both excellent. A goal and an assist from them yesterday and they worked the defenders all afternoon.
    Big difference between Stokes and Murray to current front two is that McClaren and Flo do not come looking for ball 30 yards from goal, thats midfielders job ,they sit on last defender, making sure defence doesnt compress space and help midfield.By pinning defence back , this helps our midfield to run at defence, as shown with Mcginn v rangers and Allan v Aberdeen, to great effect.Front two also pull wide giving defences the dilema of a) going to the ball , leaving striker unmarked or b) run with striker , leaving position and a gap.
    I thought McClarens link up play with Allan was good as he ran across line of defenders and knew Allan has the brain to play the ball to his feet.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    McClarens movement was excellent, and as mentioned above, having such a clever player as Allan to pick him out will pay dividends.

Kamberi is different, perhaps not such a tidy player, but will get more goals as he has that instinct - a bit like Cummings had - do nowt then boom, goal.

We won't win every game, but will pick up more points with these three in the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

There are a few posts on this thread slating his finishing. He didn’t get a goal yesterday despite a few good chances but the fact he was there for the good chances and was getting it on target rather than skying it or blasting it wide makes me suspect he will do well for us.

A group of us met after the game in the pub, having sat in different parts of the stadium, and one of the first things that came up was the partnership between the front two. They look like an absolute handful for defenders and that was against the clear best team other than Celtc over the last couple of years.

As others have said, their work rate created space for midfield and defence to push up. At times we were pressing so high it was like a mismatch at youth level. There’s a bit about Aberdeen’s game plan there too though - against lower table sides the movement of Maclaren and Kamberi will be important but we will need patience to allow the midfield to keep possession and work it until they can find an opening.

Really happy with both players and it’s great for the club to have them looking good at this crucial part of the season. Other teams aren’t used to them yet and that gives us an edge.
    Partnership things is bang on - they looked like they understood the other player's game.

The bit about creating space is also spot on. Have rarely seen us do it that well.

Stevenson kept pulling the right side of their defence over by basically standing there and you could see in the Aberdeen player's face he was caught in two minds - can't let Stevenson have the run of the left channel but at the same time if he went that way the Hibs midfield was going to pick them apart in the centre.

I have a feeling that at some point in the very near future that Hibs team is going to give someone a right doing.
    Here's hoping it's the yams.

First Team Breakthrough My old man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    Partnership things is bang on - they looked like they understood the other player's game.

The bit about creating space is also spot on. Have rarely seen us do it that well.

Stevenson kept pulling the right side of their defence over by basically standing there and you could see in the Aberdeen player's face he was caught in two minds - can't let Stevenson have the run of the left channel but at the same time if he went that way the Hibs midfield was going to pick them apart in the centre.

I have a feeling that at some point in the very near future that Hibs team is going to give someone a right doing.
    Here's hoping it's the yams.

I’ve been saying the latter bit to my mates
    I honestly think we’ll give someone a real doing 4-0 4-1
    5-0 5-1 are my bets every week
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by My old man View Post
    I’ve been saying the latter bit to my mates
    I honestly think we’ll give someone a real doing 4-0 4-1
    5-0 5-1 are my bets every week
    GGTTH
    Before the weekend I didn’t think we’d catch the sheep. There is a chance we could do now, especially with them likely to drop points this weekend.

Goal difference could be important, with 4 in it at the moment in their favour, so giving someone a doing at some point might be useful.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    MacLarens finishing was awful on Saturday, no doubt about it. People saying otherwise are only kidding themselves.

That said though, I make it that he has just started his first game since April last year so he is bound to be a bit rusty. His all round game was good so if he can sharpen up on his finishing I think we’ll have a real player on our hands. The obvious comparison to Scott McDonald is a good one.

One of the things I liked was that he took three of his attempts on his weaker left foot without hesitation. This is a big thing for me for strikers and once he gets up to speed it could be the difference between us drawing games and winning them

Arrangement to buy

Anybody know if we have aa arrangement to buy either or both after the loan period are up,if so hopefully at a pre-fixed price ??

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    MacLarens finishing was awful on Saturday, no doubt about it. People saying otherwise are only kidding themselves.

That said though, I make it that he has just started his first game since April last year so he is bound to be a bit rusty. His all round game was good so if he can sharpen up on his finishing I think we’ll have a real player on our hands. The obvious comparison to Scott McDonald is a good one.

One of the things I liked was that he took three of his attempts on his weaker left foot without hesitation. This is a big thing for me for strikers and once he gets up to speed it could be the difference between us drawing games and winning them
    I agree I was happy he was in right places but disappointed in the end result but taking into account it was his first start and he has not played much then maybe his sharpness will improve.

There is no better provider for him than Scott Allan with his excellent passing and vision.

Very hopeful.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    A tin hat may be required, but I'm closer to Michael Stewart's opinion than the majority of those expressed on this thread.

I watched the game again last night, the second half anyway, and I just can't see what has generated such enthusiasm for the 2 strikers.

I realise that you can point to Kamberi's 2 goals, but I'm still not convinced and Jamie looks like he couldn't spell composure never mind demonstrate any.

Hopefully I'm missing something (several things actually) and the majority opinion is accurate.

However, I'm cautioned by the knowledge that there were people betting on Simon Murray to end up top SPFL goalscorer.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hhibs View Post
    Anybody know if we have aa arrangement to buy either or both after the loan period are up,if so hopefully at a pre-fixed price ??

I am sure we have an option on Kambari.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I thought McLaren was excellent yesterday.
    Strikers who miss a lot, score a lot.

Not to be picky but surely strikers who don't miss a lot, score a lot more?

FWIW I think once he gets more game time he'll sharpen up and start scoring regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Not to be picky but surely strikers who don't miss a lot, score a lot more?

FWIW I think once he gets more game time he'll sharpen up and start scoring regularly.
    Not necessarily, a striker can be deadly accurate with his shooting but a lazy bugger with zero game intelligence to get himself into the right areas.
    Good article on it here.
    https://www.theringer.com/2018/1/12/...inishing-skill

Thought both were excellent.

MacLaren will get better with game time, barely played for 6months remember and yet, hes making good runs, getting into good positions, the goals will come.

Kamberis hit the ground running, loves a flick, seems to have decent control, works the defenders well and has an eye for goal.

They worked well as a pair, Kamberi being the target man type and MacLaren running off him. Excited to see how they continue this!

Quote Originally Posted by hhibs View Post

Maclaren will be a year into a three year contract. The current manager didn't sign him so I guess he is out of favour. Press quotes indicate that he hopes the player will play his way into Australia's world cup team and go back to them a better player.

If he does well enough then we couldn't afford him.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by ozwoody View Post
    Big difference between Stokes and Murray to current front two is that McClaren and Flo do not come looking for ball 30 yards from goal, thats midfielders job ,they sit on last defender, making sure defence doesnt compress space and help midfield.By pinning defence back , this helps our midfield to run at defence, as shown with Mcginn v rangers and Allan v Aberdeen, to great effect.Front two also pull wide giving defences the dilema of a) going to the ball , leaving striker unmarked or b) run with striker , leaving position and a gap.
    I thought McClarens link up play with Allan was good as he ran across line of defenders and knew Allan has the brain to play the ball to his feet.
    Precisely

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    A tin hat may be required, but I'm closer to Michael Stewart's opinion than the majority of those expressed on this thread.

I watched the game again last night, the second half anyway, and I just can't see what has generated such enthusiasm for the 2 strikers.

I realise that you can point to Kamberi's 2 goals, but I'm still not convinced and Jamie looks like he couldn't spell composure never mind demonstrate any.

Hopefully I'm missing something (several things actually) and the majority opinion is accurate.

However, I'm cautioned by the knowledge that there were people betting on Simon Murray to end up top SPFL goalscorer.
    Did you see McLarens clever runs to get in on goal, staying onside too. Did you see his shots on targets, his willingness to shoot? Kamberis's goal? His link up.play?

Quote Originally Posted by JDHibs View Post
    Thought both were excellent.

MacLaren will get better with game time, barely played for 6months remember and yet, hes making good runs, getting into good positions, the goals will come.

Kamberis hit the ground running, loves a flick, seems to have decent control, works the defenders well and has an eye for goal.

They worked well as a pair, Kamberi being the target man type and MacLaren running off him. Excited to see how they continue this!
    I wonder what mark they will get when they both score and don't waste five or six god chances

We did win on Saturday didn’t we?🤫 Sorry but you don’t play the way we did (for some of the first half and nearly all of the second) with poor strikers. It’s fumny but even at half time the craic around us (East Stand) was how well the front two were playing and how they were complementing each other. Flo is only 22 but was holding the ball up like an experienced forward. Maclaren was hauling their back line all over the ship. Our forwards allowed the midfielders to step into the Aberdeen half almost unopposed as the Dons’ midfield was dropping farther back towards their own defenders who were being run ragged. Maclaren has started one game and has scored already. Florian has scored 2 goals in 3 games against second and third in the league. What more do some people want?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    Did you see McLarens clever runs to get in on goal, staying onside too. Did you see his shots on targets, his willingness to shoot? Kamberis's goal? His link up.play?

I mentioned Kamberi's goals.

You may think that the pair of them are the bees knees. A lot of people are impressed too.

I'm not convinced. Hopefully I will be.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!