hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuart Hogg

@hibs.net private member cheltenhamhibee's Avatar
    The best I've seen is John Rutherford, sublime player, also agree with every other player being mentioned in posts, but Rutherford just shades it for me, notable mentions for John Jeffery & Alan Tait as well

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumlanrig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ah good Sir is it not so fine to be discussion the attributes of a number of fine Scottish fullbacks! Aye Rud was and always will be one of my favourite 10s!

Agreed Irvine will always be up there in the gods, however when I think back to how much space and time there was in the game then, I remain convinced the Hogg would compete with and surpass any who have gone before.

Opinions eh!
    You could very well be right mate, I was misty eyed with my Malbec in hand reading your post, thinking about the all the great players..........Paxton, Milne(s), Roy Laidlaw, Colin Deans.............halcyon days buddy

I think in those days there was a 'less professional' approach shall we say, yet Irvine looked like he was an athlete at all times.........when I was a youngster I had a part-time waiting job and the squad came in to the restaurant after a 5 nations game. Irvine was an absolute gentleman and despite the 'revelry' took time to thanks everyone for a good night at the end............hence my bias

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Tom Smith, John Leslie Gary Armstrong amongst others all have claims too
    You mean David Leslie.
    Great great player.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cheltenhamhibee View Post
    The best I've seen is John Rutherford, sublime player, also agree with every other player being mentioned in posts, but Rutherford just shades it for me, notable mentions for John Jeffery & Alan Tait as well
    Tait was a try scoring machine who made the grade at League and then came back to achieve what he did in Union aecond time around

@hibs.net private member PercyHibs's Avatar
    Hogg is the best full back in the world at the moment. Scotland’s best ever player IMO. Sublime talent.

@hibs.net private member h185forever's Avatar
    Watched as he was approached by numerous people looking for pictures with him ...what a gentleman, agreed to all and seemed happy to do so.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgo View Post
    You do come out with some utter dross. Let’s wait till the end of his career eh?
    He's certainly the most exciting player in a generation

Well played Scotland need to enjoy this one they haven't came along too often recently against the auld enemy.
    Stuart Hogg he's one of our own he's one of our own Stuart Hogg is one of our own 🇳🇬🇳🇬
    Sorted dame leeann out with a ticket today 👏👏
    Last edited by Hawick hibee; 24-02-2018 at 10:14 PM.

One thing nobody should ever do is claim that a current player in any sport is the greatest.... always a line of people ready and able to tell you that they ‘couldn’t lace the boots’ of someone from 30 or 40 years ago....

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    One thing nobody should ever do is claim that a current player in any sport is the greatest.... always a line of people ready and able to tell you that they ‘couldn’t lace the boots’ of someone from 30 or 40 years ago....
    It's impossible to compare across different eras because sport changes so much over the years. Scotland vs Irvine vs Hastings vs Hogg? 50s vs 70s vs 90s vs now.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by cheltenhamhibee View Post
    no one comes close to Jim Renwick. From a Hawick boy.
    Last edited by FilipinoHibs; 25-02-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    It's impossible to compare across different eras because sport changes so much over the years. Scotland vs Irvine vs Hastings vs Hogg? 50s vs 70s vs 90s vs now.
    Exactly - the game is totally different. Hogg is rated the best in the world in his position at the moment - we can’t really say anyone has ever been miles ahead of that!

Andy Irvine also has a decidedly toothsome daughter, not that that is of much relevance to this debate.

For my "era" I loved Hastings and Mr Reliable Chris Paterson.

Hoggy has it in him to surpass both though.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Andy Irvine also has a decidedly toothsome daughter.
    You should write erotica.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    You should write erotica.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    If you think that is erotic you need to stay away from the dentist

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Andy Irvine also has a decidedly toothsome daughter, not that that is of much relevance to this debate.

For my "era" I loved Hastings and Mr Reliable Chris Paterson.

Hoggy has it in him to surpass both though.

Hogg’s already ahead of Paterson. 2 Lions tours and the beat in the world in his position. Paterson was reliable and actually unlucky to have had to play on the wing and at full back - he could’ve been a class 10 but was never really given the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Hogg’s already ahead of Paterson. 2 Lions tours and the beat in the world in his position. Paterson was reliable and actually unlucky to have had to play on the wing and at full back - he could’ve been a class 10 but was never really given the opportunity.
    Paterson only was in the team for his kicking at the time when Scotland were attrocious. Powder puff and couldn't tackle, while the ball never made it as far as the wings when in attack!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greentinted View Post
    And (apparently) a distant relative of a certain George Best...what’s not to like?
    I imagine there's a few relatives of George Best wandering around Edinburgh and all of them born within a year or so of each other.........

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavinho View Post
    Paterson only was in the team for his kicking at the time when Scotland were attrocious. Powder puff and couldn't tackle, while the ball never made it as far as the wings when in attack!!
    Couldn’t tackle? Seem to remember him making a wonderful last ditch tackle to save a try at Twickenham once.
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    And many will say that Ken Scotland was a better FB than all 3.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    Remember him well.....and Bill MacLaren’s commentaries...

Interesting debate about full backs and rugby in general, and good that John Rutherford is pulling through, one of the best Scottish fly halfs ever to play the game, in my lifetime anyway. Picking the best player in different positions is a tricky one and obviously lots of people will have different opinions, but for me I'll go with the guy who IMO was the best Scottish player I ever saw in the position that I played in, No.8. That was Ian Paxton.