hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Alex McLeish

Quote Originally Posted by PercyHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good appointment IMO
    Aye right.... Will suit all the hun blazers no doubt.... Irrelevant to me, couldn't give a flying f##c, but best of luck eck 🍀

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Absoutley ridiculous decision.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    SFA ignore request from SPFL for an inquiry into their handling of Rangers EBT scandal. They reject this independent inquiry stating it is time for Scottish football to ‘move on’.

They ‘move on’ and appoint a beneficiary of a £1.7m EBT with evidence seen of a side letter.

This organistaion is corrupt to the core and needs torn down and replaced.

Left by mutual consent!
    Craig Brown all over again.

I can only imagine he was he only ginger that would take the job. There is no other reason. A man out of work. Done nothing for years and he becomes the manager of the national side. Old school at its very best.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Boss in the famous 6-2 win, brought incredible talent like Sauzee & Latapy, masterminded outrageous wins against France home and away. The guy is a good manager.

Wasn’t happy the way he left but after a few wins all will be forgiven. It’s the football fan way. Glad the sagas over, time to move on. People who’ve sat down and looked at the nations draw/format will know we have a very decent chance of qualifying for the Euros and put 20 years of hurt to rest.

Good squad he’s inherited too. Let’s see how he fairs. I’m a Scotland fan and hope he does well 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Couldn’t feching make it up, what a complete bunch of wasters, and you can bet your boots that we will be staying at Hampden, they’d rather reduce the capacity than do the sensible thing.
    For any change at all we need to get rid of the lot of them and appoint people who have the entire football community at heart.
    He proved his commitment when he left as soon as the Huns came calling.

Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    Boss in the famous 6-2 win, brought incredible talent like Sauzee & Latapy, masterminded outrageous wins against France home and away. The guy is a good manager.

Wasn’t happy the way he left but after a few wins all will be forgiven. It’s the football fan way. Glad the sagas over, time to move on. People who’ve sat down and looked at the nations draw/format will know we have a very decent chance of qualifying for the Euros and put 20 years of hurt to rest.

Good squad he’s inherited too. Let’s see how he fairs. I’m a Scotland fan and hope he does well 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    Certainly has a good crop of young players to work with but he hasn't had to deal with a load of youngsters as far as I can tell in his career. Maybe be an idea to have the coaches the likes of sjm and Tierney have worked with alongside him. Be interesting to see his first squad and if guys like hanlon or mcgeoch get a chance.

Terrible appointment at a time when the game needs a fresh start.

We aren’t qualifying for anything anytime soon.

Still need change in the Scottish Football structure.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Andy Watson? Stuart McCall is available again. what's Mark McGhee doing? This appointment is actually morale sapping for me. He was ok first time round but it is a step back for me. There must be a better candidate out there. Or are we just doing the cheap option again?
    Which better candidate. No decent manager held his hand up saying he wanted the job. He's probably the best we could have got.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post

Pretty sure he wasn't manager for France home also a joke the Georgia away defeat when a number of old firm players didn't play as they were playing on the weekend after. McCulloch definitely got himself booked in the Ukraine game before it to miss Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I don’t want Mcleish and I think he’s a poor appointment that only got the job as he’s Scottish and unemployed.

Playing devils advocate for a second though, if we’d gone for someone more ambitious how could we have tried to attract him? We’ve no chief executive and even the stand in has disappeared. Who would have sold the job to them? How could we entice someone with the state of the organisation as it is?

I’d like to see John Collins as the new chief executive and spend the next 18-24 months trying to form an actual plan for the SFA and then if Mcleish is unsuccessful we’ll have a vision and a plan to try and sell to someone a bit more exciting than big Eck.
    John Collins was a great player. But what is it about his football management/coaching career that suggests he'd make the ideal CEO for the SFA? Whatever you see about his track record has passed me by.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Craig Brown all over again.
    Hope so. He was the last guy who got us to a tournament. Two in a row, actually.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Pretty sure he wasn't manager for France home also a joke the Georgia away defeat when a number of old firm players didn't play as they were playing on the weekend after. McCulloch definitely got himself booked in the Ukraine game before it to miss Georgia.
    Correct Jim, Walter Smith was in charge for the first France game.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paisley Hibby View Post
    John Collins was a great player. But what is it about his football management/coaching career that suggests he'd make the ideal CEO for the SFA? Whatever you see about his track record has passed me by.
    That’s why I’m suggesting a role as a chief executive rather than a role as a coach or as a manager.

He’s clearly a very successful and intelligent guy, he knows football inside out and he knows the flaws in our game better than anyone. At the risk of getting all corporate speak, I think him taking a higher level look at all aspects of our game is likely to suit his skill set better than coaching or management.

In terms of his coaching I think he must have had some pretty good ideas as he improved a number of players and got the best out of them, I just think he probably lacked some of the people skills to manage them on a day to day basis.

@hibs.net private member
    That’s why I’m suggesting a role as a chief executive rather than a role as a coach or as a manager.

He’s clearly a very successful and intelligent guy, he knows football inside out and he knows the flaws in our game better than anyone. At the risk of getting all corporate speak, I think him taking a higher level look at all aspects of our game is likely to suit his skill set better than coaching or management.

In terms of his coaching I think he must have had some pretty good ideas as he improved a number of players and got the best out of them, I just think he probably lacked some of the people skills to manage them on a day to day basis.
    Would you trust him to be doing the deals with Sky etc for rights to international games and Scottish Cup? Perhaps as performance director he would have been a good choice. However, as the CEO also has to create unity across a wide ranging set of clubs - I can't think of many less skilled in that sort of collaboration than Collins.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Would you trust him to be doing the deals with Sky etc for rights to international games and Scottish Cup? Perhaps as performance director he would have been a good choice. However, as the CEO also has to create unity across a wide ranging set of clubs - I can't think of many less skilled in that sort of collaboration than Collins.
    Fair enough but yes, I’d trust him entirely to do that kind of thing.

I also think he’d be more likely to promote our game better the current lot do.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar

I'd have preferred John Collins as manager.
    He might well have been better suited to international management. Experienced different enviornments as a player and with a more modern outlook on the game. I wish Big Eck luck and hopefully he can be the man to take us back to major finals, but just can't get too excited about the appointment. It's nothing progressive or radical.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    😂 admins any chance you can block my stalker please it’s becoming really weird now!!

Oh and yeah, Hibs didn’t have any injuries or a horrible run of games that didn’t happen BH honest it was all just fantasy!! 😂😂
    Just read your PM, you really have an opinion of yourself way above what i think if you think i have a problem with you, or are stalking you.

FFS its like Lee Wallace has joined the board.

You don't like your opinion questioned do you, the hypocrisy on this is wonderful, McLeish didnt have any circumstances did he, like France or Italy not to mention the Ukraine in his league?

McLeish was a failure for not getting us through that group, but Stubbs did ok to finish behind bloody Falkirk.

This is a message board, as i said before, if you dont like what you post questioned, dont post.

Does McLeish not have the best managerial record of all Scotland managers in terms of win percentage?

Not saying its a brilliant appointment but at the same time its not as bad as some are making out.

EDIT - McLeish does indeed have the best win percentage of any Scotland manager in history (excluding Billy Stark who was only in charge for 1 game).
    Last edited by Since90+2; 16-02-2018 at 09:11 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Does McLeish not have the best managerial record of all Scotland managers in terms of win percentage?

Not saying its a brilliant appointment but at the same time its not as bad as some are making out.

EDIT - McLeish does indeed have the best win percentage of any Scotland manager in history (excluding Billy Stark who was only in charge for 1 game).
    He was only in charge for ten months, but won seven of his ten games so he had a good record in a short space of time.

I liked him a lot as Hibs boss. Yes there was more money in the game back then but he signed some terrific players, Sauzee and Latapy being among the best ever to play for us, while Laursen, Mixu, Jack, Zitelli, Fenwick, Smith, Lovell and Colgan etc were all excellent for us. He gave us a bigger time mentality and was the first Hibs manager for a long time to dominate the derby.

He was also underrated at Rangers where he was up against Martin O'Neill's far more talented Celtic side yet I think he actually won more trophies, including a treble. Winning a trophy at Birmingham was also a rare feat.

As others have said though it's been downhill for him since taking the Villa job and I'm struggling to see what he brings to the Scotland job that's any different to Strachan. However, the fact he's ended up being appointed presumably highlights how little clout the national job carries these days. There wasn't exactly a queue of outstanding candidates interested in taking it.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post
    Terrible appointment at a time when the game needs a fresh start.

We aren’t qualifying for anything anytime soon.

Still need change in the Scottish Football structure.
    We’ll see. Think you’ll be seeing that we qualify for the Euros, but time will tell of course. We have a decent talented group right now. We do need a change in structure though, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley Hibby View Post
    I do think he would make a good Scotland manager still...

@hibs.net private member PercyHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vuefrom1875 View Post
    Aye right.... Will suit all the hun blazers no doubt.... Irrelevant to me, couldn't give a flying f##c, but best of luck eck 🍀
    Haha. I’m gonna stick my neck out and say you do actually care.

Quote Originally Posted by PercyHibs View Post
    Haha. I’m gonna stick my neck out and say you do actually care.
    Wind it back in

Sent from my SM-T320X using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I'd have preferred John Collins as manager.
    He might well have been better suited to international management. Experienced different enviornments as a player and with a more modern outlook on the game. I wish Big Eck luck and hopefully he can be the man to take us back to major finals, but just can't get too excited about the appointment. It's nothing progressive or radical.

Agreed re Collins.....and the good thing is we wouldn't have to worry about him making signings !

You Scots are a very hard bunch to please!

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    You Scots are a very hard bunch to please!
    Easy for you to say, we’ve seen your women!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Easy for you to say, we’ve seen your women!

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Has anyone seen him interviewed recently? The way he looks I wouldn't be surprised if it was Death operating the cameras waiting for the moment to pounce.
    I agree ,posted on another thread he has always looked "unwell" in recent viewings but,a pair of glasses can cover a multitude of things.