hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by RossScott1991 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I reckon we will get about 2.5million for Mcginn with a sell on clause put in place.

We got 2million for Thomson from rangers, can see it being similar with Mcginn. I reckon that is a very reasonable offer, if we can somehow rinse a english club for more be brilliant, but Hibs will accept a bid in region of 2mil + and will definitely insert a future sell on clause for sure.
    That £2m was over 10yrs ago. We deserve a minimum of £5m, St Mirren deserve their % and SJM deserves his % as well. As I said any less is a total bargain.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    That £2m was over 10yrs ago. We deserve a minimum of £5m, St Mirren deserve their % and SJM deserves his % as well. As I said any less is a total bargain.
    We deserve nothing....we will get whatever the biggest offer is....if its £2m we will whip their hands off. Talk of £5m is mental not matter what players are going for down south.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    We deserve nothing....we will get whatever the biggest offer is....if its £2m we will whip their hands off. Talk of £5m is mental not matter what players are going for down south.
    Its not mental its my opinion under £5m for me is cheap, maybe not for you or not for the club or many on here but it is for me. I base it on ability not the league he is playing but on him. If he was on a longer contract I would put his value at nearer £10m.

What I want or I think is irrelevant as is what you think as we are not going to be bidding or accepting or refusing offers.

Testimonial Due

What!

Quote Originally Posted by hibeelovin90 View Post
    Was speaking to Leam Richardson (Wigan assistant manager) last night at a function down south. Theyre interested in john and thinking theyd be willing to offer north of 5 mil
    You do get some p**h on here!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Its not mental its my opinion under £5m for me is cheap, maybe not for you or not for the club or many on here but it is for me. I base it on ability not the league he is playing but on him. If he was on a longer contract I would put his value at nearer £10m.

What I want or I think is irrelevant as is what you think as we are not going to be bidding or accepting or refusing offers.
    The problem with the bit in bold is that it makes it sound like there's going to be something unusual in the bidding that changes the norm in the same way that the Neymar transfer moved transfers to the next level.

I seriously doubt there will be partly because, much as I like McGinn and as good as he's been for us, I don't think he's exceptional enough to generate that type of fevered interest and partly because no matter what he's worth there is a level of a player's value that gets set not by the player's talent but by the level of his current club and the league they play in.

Celtic will get more than us for an equivalent player and also less than a lot of clubs in England.
    For example I seriously doubt that Liverpool would have payed £75 million for van Dijk from Celtic.
    And that's nothing to do with how good or bad any of us think van Dijk is.

The money in football may be silly right now but it's not equal opportunities silly.
    I'd be surprised if we even get £2 million for McGinn although I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

Personally I think the sell on clause is probably what the club will be more focussed on - I can see McGinn having the kind of lower / mid table Premiership career Fletcher had and it wouldn't surprise me if we got at least as much from his first transfer after us as we get for selling him in the first place.

If McGinn was English he'd be worth about £25 million. Just goes to show how they overate their own and they'll low ball us for our talented players knowing that we don't have the same kind of money. I think we should be getting around 5 mill for him, but unfortunately can't see it.

We wont get anything like £5 million for him ffs. Absolutely mental people even think thats a possibility.

Once upon a time, I told a jambo at school that they had signed Roberto Donadoni on account of him being good pals with Pasquale Bruno. "If you don't believe me, it's in tonight's Evening News", I said. Which of course they rushed out to buy in excitement, only to find out it was pish.

When I hear rumours like this online I wonder if it is that same jambo paying me back. Like all rumours, I'll believe it when I see it. For now, I'll enjoy watching McGinn play for Hibs because we won't have many like him that often.

Hilarious thread.... sounds like absolute drivel to me...

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    We wont get anything like £5 million for him ffs. Absolutely mental people even think thats a possibility.
    I mentioned £5m I also said we won't be offered that. I think he is worth at least that but we won't in all probability get it.

We'll get more from a sell on for McGinn than we will for a transfer fee

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    There are a lot of very average players there.

John McGinn got the better of Didier N'Dong in our friendly against Sunderland. N'Dong cost £13m, barely kicked a ball for them in the Championship and moved on loan to Watford in January.

Jack Rodwell cost them £10m, and his starting salary there was £60k per week. It is thought to rise by 10% every year and the contract didn't have a relegation clause written into it, so he is probably picking up North of £70k per week at the moment. He has made 2 appearances this season, picks up mystery injuries every Friday to avoid playing at the weekend, refuses to play midfield (where he has played his entire career) etc etc.

Sunderland are 2nd bottom of the league.

There is an awful lot of money being spent on crocks, wasters, talentless grafters and all sorts else in that league.

Granted, there are also some good players.

Teams dropping out of the Premier League will often have pots of cash and a desperation to get back amongst the big boys again.

Leaving aside football ability and achievements in his career so far, McGinn is known to be a good lad, a solid pro with an excellent attitude. I don't think it is at all crazy to think that a club down there would be prepared to part with a significant amount of money for a player who has so many attributes.

You can also point at a good few players who well knew were good players up here but didn't necessarily seem destined for greatness who became very solid Championship players - Kevin McNaughton, Callum Paterson, Jonny Russell, Scott Arfield etc.

£5m for McGinn isn't unrealistic but tbh much depends on the way that Hibs, McGinn and his agent play it.
    I'm not for one minute saying that SJM isn't better than most of the midfielders in the championship. What I'm saying is that he hasn't proven this yet and until he does, he'll not command anything like the fees that players that have played in the division.

Left by mutual consent!
    St Mirren get 33% of the transfer fee.

Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    I'm not for one minute saying that SJM isn't better than most of the midfielders in the championship. What I'm saying is that he hasn't proven this yet and until he does, he'll not command anything like the fees that players that have played in the division.
    But what does a proven Championship midfielder go for? Probably £10m - £15m.

I don't think it is unreasonable for us to expect a half or a third of what a proven player (and that is proven - not superb, or excellent) would go for.

There are a lot of clubs with pots of cash who have absolutely no idea how to spend it properly. We have a hot property on our hands and should be able to capitalise.

We are in a strong position in that we are in decent health financially. We have Rod Petrie on our side, who is well known for being able to squeeze money out of clubs when they want one of our assets. Neil Lennon will work to our advantage - he's a fairly high-profile figure down South whose opinion of one of his own players may hold a bit of weight.

We could easily have 5 or 6 interested parties, in which case the price goes up.

How much exactly is a parachute payment? Is it not about £45m or something? Is there not £5m in there for a player with McGinn's CV?

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I was thinking that perhaps people were getting carried away with their perceived transfer dealings of Championship clubs in England, so I had a look at this:

https://talksport.com/football/champ...710246052?p=10

As of last summer, only 8 players had been signed for £10M or more, with £15.8M being the most expensive.

It has zero bearing on McGinn's move from us in any case, and as I said before, I think (and very much hope I'm wrong) we're unlikely to get any more than £1M for him.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 16-02-2018 at 11:17 AM.

The Arabs have very successfully sold and benefited from sell on clauses - and we should be doing similar.

The fee for Cummings was farcical and with 40% of SJM's fee going to St Midden and the player, we must be seeking £2m (min) + sell-on %

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IWasThere2016 View Post
    The Arabs have very successfully sold and benefited from sell on clauses - and we should be doing similar.

The fee for Cummings was farcical and with 40% of SJM's fee going to St Midden and the player, we must be seeking £2m (min) + sell-on %
    Can't see any way that anyone would pay such a large fee and then agree a sell on for someone with one year left on their contract - and who could sign a pre-contract in the January to prompt an earlier move.

Other clubs won't care how much we need to pay St. Mirren - and nor should they. We got that in the original deal to ensure we paid less up front - if we agree a sell on, it will be to the detriment of an up front fee.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 16-02-2018 at 11:43 AM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by IWasThere2016 View Post

Don' worry, Rod has the "sell on" clauses sorted. I believe we benefited from 2 sell on clauses with Fletch.

Had this conversation been overheard in Greggs or come directly from the fish delivery man I would be more inclined to believe it

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    Wigan don’t have the money to buy McGinn. The only way this would happen is if they sold Powell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hibeelovin90 View Post
    Was speaking to Leam Richardson (Wigan assistant manager) last night at a function down south. Theyre interested in john and thinking theyd be willing to offer north of 5 mil
    LOL - it happened - it didn't happen - I just thought it might have happened.

Remember when we thought we couldn't live without Scott Allan, we actually played better without him, now I'm not claiming that to be the case with JMcG, but £1M+ please. £5M+ is laughable. Nobody outside Celtic is worth that INCLUDING all the Daily Record valuations of the SevCo team.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Stone View Post
    LOL - it happened - it didn't happen - I just thought it might have happened.

Remember when we thought we couldn't live without Scott Allan, we actually played better without him, now I'm not claiming that to be the case with JMcG, but £1M+ please. £5M+ is laughable. Nobody outside Celtic is worth that INCLUDING all the Daily Record valuations of the SevCo team.
    Opinions opinions 1m+ so £1.25m say for a young double trophy winner whom won these not playing for OF. A guy who is now an international. £5m is a very very good price £1.25m would be the laughable figure

Promising Youngster
    I would not like any of these amateur speculators to do a valuation of anything I possess (frugal as that may be).

Like all goods that have a variable cost footballers are priced by quality and demand. If managed sensibly SJM can achieve a valuation that benefits both him and his club. Many things are possible but cheap talk is pointless nonsense.
    Last edited by greenflyer; 16-02-2018 at 04:32 PM. Reason: typing

Unless SJM signs a new deal, Hibs will be forced to sell him on the cheap in the summer. £5m is laughable. £1.5 - £2m more likely, but we'll probably not hear what the final figure is as it will be much less than the £5-6m Lennon's been banging on about.

SJM's form dropped at the worse time for Hibs, just before the Jan window, when there was still a chance that one or two suitors paying big for him.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    I was thinking that perhaps people were getting carried away with their perceived transfer dealings of Championship clubs in England, so I had a look at this:

https://talksport.com/football/champ...710246052?p=10

As of last summer, only 8 players had been signed for £10M or more, with £15.8M being the most expensive.

It has zero bearing on McGinn's move from us in any case, and as I said before, I think (and very much hope I'm wrong) we're unlikely to get any more than £1M for him.
    U
    Your what’s wrong, sorry, that’s foolish! (we're unlikely to get any more than £1M for him) go support the charity thieves if you think SJM is worth 1M. That, sorry, is not a position a Hibs supporter should be anywhere near. Dunno what you are.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    U
    Your what’s wrong, sorry, that’s foolish! (we're unlikely to get any more than £1M for him) go support the charity thieves if you think SJM is worth 1M. That, sorry, is not a position a Hibs supporter should be anywhere near. Dunno what you are.
    U seem to think that the opinions ur reading on a football forum will have any bearing on Mcginns transfer if/when it happens which is bizarre, not sure why u have taken so much offence to it tbh. I would love McGinn to go for the figures mentioned here of £5m + but they’re ludicrous and we’ll probs end up with £1.5m for him, that’s the reality I’m afraid

Quote Originally Posted by bawheid View Post
    I’d keep him next season, enjoy this once in a generation player for one more year, watch him bag the league and Scottish Cup double, and then thank him for everything he’s done and wish him well on his way.

Screw yer £5m. You can’t buy memories.

That would be the dream outcome !

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    U
    SJM is easily the best young midfielder in Scotland. I totally agree with you. If his value truly is only £1 million then I'd far rather we seen his outstanding performances at ER until his contract runs out. He's a class player allied with a professional attitude and always gives 100% work-rate. Some folk are always keener to look down rather than up. I'd love to keep this young man at ER rather then give him away on the cheap which would be crazy and disrespectful to Super John.

mon the cabbage!!!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    What would sjm wear if he was signing for a top English team? I think he’d wear the burden of a Scottish record transfer. And he’d absolutely smash it.

United we stand here....