hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeelovin90 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mate, the guy said they were interested in john. I said to him we'd take 5mil and he said john could go for more
    thats not what you said in your post though, they might well be intetested but it wont be anywhere near £5m

2. Log in to remove the advert

I don't think having a year left on his contract will affect anything.

It's basic supply and demand - if we can drum up enough interest in him we'll get top dollar.

He's an Internationalist who has 2 winners medals, hundreds of senior appearances and has scored some cracking goals at Ibrox and Parkhead this season.

John McGinn is one of Scottish football's hottest properties.

If he is to leave us, I hope his agent does his job, drums up as much interest as possible and gets as many clubs interested as possible. That way he/ we can play the clubs off against each other to ensure we cash in on our greatest asset.

We win, McGinn wins - and the buying club will be a few quid down but will have themselves a good lad, a top professional and a superb player.

£5m isn't close to being unreasonable when you hear some of the stories about what clubs like Sunderland have pissed away on players.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Paul Cook the Wigan manager is a big Liverpool fan, has a box at Anfield.
    £5m would be unbelievable money for McGinn

Me thinks a coach / assistant manager would reveal future signings and transfer fees to a mate is highly unlikely

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Paul Cook the Wigan manager is a big Liverpool fan, has a box at Anfield.
    £5m would be unbelievable money for McGinn
    Yep - not believable in the slightest.

I think that too many up here in Scotland under-value our product and our players, also it's in the interests of clubs down south to talk-down Scottish football in the hope of snatching an absolute bargain.
    John McGinn ( A Scottish Internationalist), if playing for a Leeds United-type team down south, would be talked about in terms of £10 million by other English clubs.
    I shake my head at those who think he's not worth £5 million.
    Anyhow, I trust our commanders in chief at Easter Road to strike a healthy deal for our club when negotiating with Wigan or any other club south of the border, indeed, with Celtic up here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    I think that too many up here in Scotland under-value our product and our players, also it's in the interests of clubs down south to talk-down Scottish football in the hope of snatching an absolute bargain.
    John McGinn ( A Scottish Internationalist), if playing for a Leeds United-type team down south, would be talked about in terms of £10 million by other English clubs.
    I shake my head at those who think he's not worth £5 million.
    Anyhow, I trust our commanders in chief at Easter Road to strike a healthy deal for our club when negotiating with Wigan or any other club south of the border, indeed, with Celtic up here too.
    You can shake your head all you like but the fact remains that whether we think he is worth it or not, an English club won't pay us £5m for him.

Testimonial Due
    That's nothing. I had coffee with Zinedine Zidane earlier and he told me Real Madrid are willing to pay €10million for him.

Your move, Wigan's assistant manager.

It won’t matter if he only has 1 year left, so long as there are at least two clubs serious about getting him

You can shake your head all you like but the fact remains that whether we think he is worth it or not, an English club won't pay us £5m for him.
    Weirder things have happened in recent history. I'd never have thought that the Neymar trans would happen. Probably more 2-3 million though.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineOnLeith View Post
    That's nothing. I had coffee with Zinedine Zidane earlier and he told me Real Madrid are willing to pay €10million for him.

Your move, Wigan's assistant manager.
    Nonsense he doesn’t like coffee

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    £5m isn’t out of the question imo. If there’s a few clubs interested, then that’s going to push up the price. It’s still peanuts to teams down south.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Planet Hibs View Post
    It won’t matter if he only has 1 year left, so long as there are at least two clubs serious about getting him
    Or they just both offer 2.5 million and we accept both?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Was speaking to Leam Richardson (Wigan assistant manager) last night at a function down south. Theyre interested in john and thinking theyd be willing to offer north of 5 mil
    That sort of thing happens to me all the time.

I was on the coastliner, (Yorkshire equivalent of the number 26) when the Leeds assistant manager got on and sat beside me.

We got chatting, as you do, and he told me that Leeds were going to make a bid of around £2.75 million for Tyler Roberts.

He also said something about a new badge, but I didn't believe him.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 15-02-2018 at 06:24 PM.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    £5m isn’t out of the question imo. If there’s a few clubs interested, then that’s going to push up the price. It’s still peanuts to teams down south.
    Exactly. Number and calibre of teams that take a serous interest will clearly impact the sell price.

If only one club of the likes of Wigan come in for him then £5m is a pipe dream. If 3 or 4 clubs come in for him, one being the likes of a West Ham then £5m might well be achievable.

Sure the 1 year thing is an issue but again it’s mitigated somewhat if there is a number of offers tabled.

Either way I hope we get a nice sell on clause and the boy goes onto to be a top top player. Safe in the knowledge we sadly won’t see him at Hibs next year it would be brilliant to see him playing and succeeding in the EPL next season

[QUOTE=Scouse Hibby;5316725]You can shake your head all you like but the fact remains that whether we think he is worth it or not, an English club won't pay us £5m for him.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, and for the reason I mentioned.

Was speaking to Leam Richardson (Wigan assistant manager) last night at a function down south. Theyre interested in john and thinking theyd be willing to offer north of 5 mil
    sniff sniff

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post

Pocket change to most of the clubs there. When you see what some players go for, players who are no more than squad fillers, then £5m isn't as crazy as it sounds.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    I'd be surprised if a championship team would pay £5m for a player playing in Scotland when they could probably sign players who have played in the division for a similar amount.

Absolutely no chance Hibs will get £5m for him. In this current market we should get it, but the Scottish game is very undervalued and in all honesty I would put money on us getting around £2.5 max.

Lennon though is making all the right noises, by saying that’s another million added after we played The Rangers. We’ll not be bullied but hibs will accept anything around £2.5m imo. Really hope I’m wrong though and he goes for £10m 😁

Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    I'd be surprised if a championship team would pay £5m for a player playing in Scotland when they could probably sign players who have played in the division for a similar amount.
    There are a lot of very average players there.

John McGinn got the better of Didier N'Dong in our friendly against Sunderland. N'Dong cost £13m, barely kicked a ball for them in the Championship and moved on loan to Watford in January.

Jack Rodwell cost them £10m, and his starting salary there was £60k per week. It is thought to rise by 10% every year and the contract didn't have a relegation clause written into it, so he is probably picking up North of £70k per week at the moment. He has made 2 appearances this season, picks up mystery injuries every Friday to avoid playing at the weekend, refuses to play midfield (where he has played his entire career) etc etc.

Sunderland are 2nd bottom of the league.

There is an awful lot of money being spent on crocks, wasters, talentless grafters and all sorts else in that league.

Granted, there are also some good players.

Teams dropping out of the Premier League will often have pots of cash and a desperation to get back amongst the big boys again.

Leaving aside football ability and achievements in his career so far, McGinn is known to be a good lad, a solid pro with an excellent attitude. I don't think it is at all crazy to think that a club down there would be prepared to part with a significant amount of money for a player who has so many attributes.

You can also point at a good few players who well knew were good players up here but didn't necessarily seem destined for greatness who became very solid Championship players - Kevin McNaughton, Callum Paterson, Jonny Russell, Scott Arfield etc.

£5m for McGinn isn't unrealistic but tbh much depends on the way that Hibs, McGinn and his agent play it.

Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    Wigan aren't in the championship,they are in league one.

Wigan aren't in the championship,they are in league one.
    Looking at Wigan's recent transfer history they are not paying £5million for anyone, he's more likely on their list of good players approaching the last year of their current contract.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I’d rather we sell to Wigan than one of our rivals, if anyone at all.

That’s the thing about Scotland, decent players at provincial clubs are always “set” for a Glasgow club.
    Provincial = from the Provinces!
    Hibs and Yams are the capital clubs all others are “provincial”
    Sorry for being a pedant !!

Quote Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
    Looking at Wigan's recent transfer history they are not paying £5million for anyone, he's more likely on their list of good players approaching the last year of their current contract.
    Agree

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I think we'll be lucky to get more than a million for McGinn, as good a player as he is.

@hibs.net private member
    I think he’ll go for around 1.5mil in the summer or stay next season and go for free the summer after. We’re not getting 5mil for him or anywhere near that and folk who think we will, or even should for that matter, are delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    deleted
    Take it easy mate, we all want the same thing.

Testimonial Due
    I reckon we will get about 2.5million for Mcginn with a sell on clause put in place.

We got 2million for Thomson from rangers, can see it being similar with Mcginn. I reckon that is a very reasonable offer, if we can somehow rinse a english club for more be brilliant, but Hibs will accept a bid in region of 2mil + and will definitely insert a future sell on clause for sure.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Wow! I mean wow! OK 5 million!