hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

If the SFA choose Murrayfield

What do folk think, will attendances for Scotland games get bigger?

I know for a fact that if Scotland games were played at Murrayfield I would go to far more of them. I don't know how true it is, but its sort of perceived that Scotland tends to attract more physical support from other parts of Scotland than it does from the Glasgow area with supporters of the Ugly sisters showing far less enthusiasm for the national team than they do their club sides.

They aren't alone in that if threads on the subject on here are anything to go by, but I still think that fans of the east coast and central belt clubs like Motherwell for example are far more likely to go to Scotland matches per head of support than the uglies.

Even though the trip to Edinburgh from Aberdeen or Dundee isn't much different than it is to Glasgow from those cities, do folk think that psychologically because Edinburgh is on the east coast far more folk from Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth and the Fife towns would go to Scotland games .... I'm absolutely certain far more folk from the Borders would.

The big question is will fans actually based in that hotbed of football fervour Glasgow who do go to Scotland games and who are used to jumping on a local bus or the 'shoogle' to go the few miles to Hampden be as enthusiastic if they actually have to make the same effort east coast fans have had to for all these decades?

2. Log in to remove the advert

I predict there will be a few people along shortly to tell you it won't make any difference to them as they have absolutely no interest in the national team and would close the curtains if they were playing in their garden

In answer to the OP though, nope... I am already keen to go to Scotland matches (competitive ones) in Glasgow, and this won't change in either direction should they switch to Murrayfield.

Still not in favour though.

If the team are winning and we play in a bigger stadium then yes - if they are not winning then crowds wont increase.

I would def be going if they are at Murrayfield along with my wife and two boys but there may be a Glasgow family who stop going to cancel us out. The important advantage Murrayfield has over Hampden is access to transport. Haymarket being just along the road will allow fans from all over Scotland to get home reasonably sharply after games. That is a big deal if you have work or the kids have school in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope they don't move to Murrayfield as Hearts will take the rent given they built and own it.

Games that would sell out will obv get bigger crowds but I’m not sure that matches that would get 30k at Hampden would get any more at Murrayfield.

I heard Michael Stewart on the radio recently suggesting they rebuild Hampden as a decent 35k seater and use it and Murrayfield depending on demand. Good idea if there was any money around.

I've got a feeling the Edinburgh rugger crowd that regularly attend murrayfield for their games would be tempted to also attend for national football matches. Though I've no idea what that crossover is like at the moment

@hibs.net private member HibeeMassive's Avatar
    As much as I moan about Hampden, I'd definitely miss our bus trips to Semis and Finals.

Might entice me back along to Scotland games, as I've lost interest in going since the matches started being at all times of the week though. I'm not too fussed in all honesty, but I do hope if we stay at Hampden that they invest some cash in upgrading it.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've got a feeling the Edinburgh rugger crowd that regularly attend murrayfield for their games would be tempted to also attend for national football matches. Though I've no idea what that crossover is like at the moment
    I'd say that it would be more likely on the grounds of proximity. On the flip side, west-based football fans might be less inclined to make the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by TAHibby View Post
    Part of murrayfields pitch to the SFA was that they have an in house marketing team which is one of the best going and they felt strongly they could sell out every Scotland game. Considering the crowds they get for rugby, which is basically crap, I’m inclined to believe them.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    I'd attend Scotland matches if they were hosted in Edinburgh. Getting to and from Hampden for a Fri night match is an massive ball ache.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    More to the point, will there be a "Hibs end" and a "Hearts end"

Quote Originally Posted by greenlad View Post
    Just a Hibs end. We don’t want racism at the new national stadium.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Just a 'Hibs end'. You have to get to semis and finals regularly before you get your own end.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    They won't choose Murrayfield
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

To many nostalgic bores will not allow this to happen

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    They won't choose Murrayfield
    As it is I think you are right. IMO Murrayfield is simply being used as a bargaining chip by the SFA ... they know that if its to remain viable Hampden cant afford to lose Scotland games or the Scottish cup semis and final and with the credible threat of an alternative option to put on the table they should have Queens Park's baws in a vice .... you would think even the SFA couldn't screw up a hand where they hold all the aces .... but if anybody can its them.

Whatever happens the upshot of this should be a partnership between the SFA and Queens Park, not just a landlord and tenant arrangement and both parties should work together to utterly transform the stadium .... as things stand both parties should be ashamed of the way we have been left trailing in the dust of England, Wales and the Republic of Ireland when it comes to our so called 'national stadium'

@hibs.net private member
    Do the good people of Edinburgh really want a rangers celtic cup final here let them keep there bigoted songs and thoughts where they belong.

Hearts will give up their end to Sevco...

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    As it is I think you are right. IMO Murrayfield is simply being used as a bargaining chip by the SFA ... they know that if its to remain viable Hampden cant afford to lose Scotland games or the Scottish cup semis and final and with the credible threat of an alternative option to put on the table they should have Queens Park's baws in a vice .... you would think even the SFA couldn't screw up a hand where they hold all the aces .... but if anybody can its them.

Whatever happens the upshot of this should be a partnership between the SFA and Queens Park, not just a landlord and tenant arrangement and both parties should work together to utterly transform the stadium .... as things stand both parties should be ashamed of the way we have been left trailing in the dust of England, Wales and the Republic of Ireland when it comes to our so called 'national stadium'
    Yep basically that's it but Glasgow City Council won't want the loss to their economy either and the SFA know it.

Hampden needs rebuilt but they want others to help pay for it.

I've said it before - it's a shakedown.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

I think there was a survey a few years back among Scotland supporters that attend home games, that the highest represented club support was Rangers. The second highest was Celtc, but significantly smaller.

However, the percentages of fans supporting either of those clubs was lower than that of a similar survey in the 70s.

Take from that what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I predict there will be a few people along shortly to tell you it won't make any difference to them as they have absolutely no interest in the national team and would close the curtains if they were playing in their garden

In answer to the OP though, nope... I am already keen to go to Scotland matches (competitive ones) in Glasgow, and this won't change in either direction should they switch to Murrayfield.

Still not in favour though.

it won’t make any difference to me , I have absolutely no interest in the national team and would close my cell door if they were in the exercise yard .

I know for a fact that if Scotland games were played at Murrayfield I would go to far more of them. I don't know how true it is, but its sort of perceived that Scotland tends to attract more physical support from other parts of Scotland than it does from the Glasgow area with supporters of the Ugly sisters showing far less enthusiasm for the national team than they do their club sides.

They aren't alone in that if threads on the subject on here are anything to go by, but I still think that fans of the east coast and central belt clubs like Motherwell for example are far more likely to go to Scotland matches per head of support than the uglies.

Even though the trip to Edinburgh from Aberdeen or Dundee isn't much different than it is to Glasgow from those cities, do folk think that psychologically because Edinburgh is on the east coast far more folk from Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth and the Fife towns would go to Scotland games .... I'm absolutely certain far more folk from the Borders would.

The big question is will fans actually based in that hotbed of football fervour Glasgow who do go to Scotland games and who are used to jumping on a local bus or the 'shoogle' to go the few miles to Hampden be as enthusiastic if they actually have to make the same effort east coast fans have had to for all these decades?
    Yes. Easier to get to for fans from the north which make up a huge chunk of the tartan army

Scotland must be the only country in Europe where the capital is not the city of choice for the national football stadium.

North America and Australia are obvious exceptions elsewhere.

No danger they'll move from weggieland.

I was at the Scotland v France game on Sun, whit a weekend, M,field is really quick to get into, you can use any gates on the outside perimeter and you just stroll round all the pie and hamburger stands then up tae yir seat, its well organised, funny thing is folk are told to use any gate but then end up going and standing in massive queues, which I found amusing, I walked tae the gate and was in within about 5 seconds. Brilliant, then up for a couple of beers.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    I was at the Scotland v France game on Sun, whit a weekend, M,field is really quick to get into, you can use any gates on the outside perimeter and you just stroll round all the pie and hamburger stands then up tae yir seat, its well organised, funny thing is folk are told to use any gate but then end up going and standing in massive queues, which I found amusing, I walked tae the gate and was in within about 5 seconds. Brilliant, then up for a couple of beers.
    That won't happen at the football though. There will be segregation in place.

I'm not a huge fan of Murrayfield. It gets an easy ride from football fans for not being Hampden. The biggest issue that it won't solve is fans being miles from the pitch. The try areas at Murrayfield are huge and even a football pitch at it's maximum dimensions will leave a lot of space, you also have that bizarre running track on the main stand side. The sight lines aren't great either, particularly in the lower tier. There's always talk about plenty pubs etc around the area but there's an element of snobbery with a fair few hotels and pubs closing their doors to football fans on derby day but welcoming the rugby 'high jinks'. Would that change if football at Murrayfield became a regular thing?

It's a better stadium than Hampden but I wouldn't be that enthused about watching football there tbh.

I’d be more likely to go, proximity, ease of getting there and back, and that I generally hate Glasgow so don’t like to put any money into the place, and hampden is a dump of a stadium.

I do wonder what could be done for segregation at Murrayfield though, it’s not built to separate 2 sets of fans, could easily see rangers-Celtic or Hibs-Hearts fan clashes. Arriving/leaving in separate direction isn’t too difficult to arrange, but in the stadium area it would be hard to maintain separation.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    I'd attend Scotland matches if they were hosted in Edinburgh. Getting to and from Hampden for a Fri night match is an massive ball ache.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    Me too. Hampden is a pain in the arse to get to for all the stupid times they have Scotland games.

That said, I will miss the bus trip through for Hibs games.