hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a bit pointless as they would end up on the same tram.

Trains from Mount Florida and Kings Park are on different lines.
    Depending on who we're talking about, they could tram one set of fans West to Edinburgh Park for fans heading West or Central, another tram heads East for the other set of West fans or those going north. There are already trains that go to Glasgow on different lines so segregation shouldn't be an issue.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Renting the place at £800,000 a year is a waste of money. Under the ownership of Queens Park the stadium has stumbled along from one botched revamp to another, leaving us with a stadium lagging miles behind what it should be by now.

The thought of the SFA running the place it has to be said doesn't exactly fill me with confidence either .... but they do have Rod Petrie on board and if anybody knows how to run an infrastructure project its him

The only thing I would say is if they are going to revamp the east and west stands, please please don't just chuck up a couple of stand alone items ... as a national stadium the whole thing should retain a bowl style appearance like the Millennium stadium or Wembley .... what we don't want is just a larger version of Easter Road or Tynecastle.
    Except that out of the £800K about half goes on various maintenance projects which will continue even if the SFA bought it (not that they have the money).I wonder if Lawell is in the background here sewing seeds to encourage the use of the biggest ground in Glasgow.

One thing Lawwell aint is daft so he will realise it will never be accepted that Celtic Park is used solely for the cup finals and internationals unless in some kind of agreement to also host games at Ibrox.

They will be staying at Hampden. I dont think they ever seriously considered anything else.

I think we all knew they were staying at Hampden. How they came to that decision I could not care.
    However its now recognised that the stadium is not fit for purpose.
    For me, the two ends need demolished and rebuilt without the curves. The pitch also needs lowered to allow maybe at least 6 or 7 additional rows of seating to be added to the north and south, raising capacity and pulling everything closer to the pitch.
    Just how on earth will this be funded?

Left by mutual consent!
    Great news they are staying there. Just when I've started liking the place and the memories

I don't believe they ever intended to do anything other than stay where they are and look for the cheapest option, i.e Hampden as it currently is, with no improvements.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    I don't believe they ever intended to do anything other than stay where they are and look for the cheapest option, i.e Hampden as it currently is, with no improvements.
    Agree the usual totally transparent sham of considering other options.

I know it’s Keith Jackson but even for him this is a dreadful article.
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...tting-12087952

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Neither do I. SFA always go for cheap and nasty

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

So basically they cannot move the national stadium as Celtic and Sevco fans cannot be trusted. 21st century Scotland eh.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

as much as i detest keith jackshun the article is spot on, imo....except the last part about using parkhead and castle greyskull

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    as much as i detest keith jackshun the article is spot on, imo....except the last part about using parkhead and castle greyskull
    The only negative he comes up with about Murrayfield is the distance of the stands from the pitch which exists at Hampden anyway and the stands at Murrayfield are steeper so you have a much better view.
    I’m pretty sure we can cope with Sevco/Celtic games in Edinburgh. And every other game there can be coped with a lot better than Hampden manages.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft

Not having a go but just a general point.

I really wish folk would copy and paste stories from that rag rather than posting links.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Not having a go but just a general point.

I really wish folk would copy and paste stories from that rag rather than posting links.
    Have you ever attempted to copy and paste from one of those ‘adverts and pop ups everywhere’ websites? It’s generally not worth the grief. Even trying to navigate through them is enough to put you in a rage.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Murrayfield is magical and magnificent so why spoil it by letting football fans in?
    Let's start with a confession. Ladies and gentlemen, I have visited the dark side.
    A strange, parallel universe where men fumble around with their own oddly shaped balls and occasionally celebrate this achievement by hitching up their Barbour jackets and ramming snooker cues where the sun don’t shine in the name of high jinks. Or so the story goes
    Anyway, the awkward truth of the matter is I rather liked it. In fact, it was impossible to be a Scotsman inside Murrayfield on Saturday evening and not be completely seduced by the magic of it all. What an epic sporting occasion. What an absolute joy to behold.
    What a magnificent, immaculate arena these rugger boys have built for themselves. What a team Gregor Townsend is gracing it with.
    And what on earth are they thinking about by inviting Scottish football in to spoil it all? Have they thought for a second about the levels of mayhem and unruly chaos they are about to unleash on Edinburgh’s polite society?
    As reconnaissance missions go, this historic, heroic Calcutta Cup triumph could not possibly have showcased the home of our national egg chasers any more perfectly. And it’s little wonder they pride themselves on it.
    The huge, 67,500 capacity Murrayfield makes Hampden look exactly what it is. A rusty, inferior relic from a bygone age which has been tarted up on the cheap and which has taken its paying customers for granted ever since.
    Should they follow through on their proposal to take the nation’s proper game across the M8 and decant it in the east, the SFA will be giving football fans the equivalent of a free upgrade to a suit in the Balmoral from a single room in the Gorbals Premier Inn. But the uncomfortable truth is it will never feel quite like home and not just because it doesn’t belong to them.
    This place is built for housing rugby matches and the dimensions of its huge, pristine playing surface cannot simply be scaled down to make it work for football.
    Yes, there is more than enough room to accommodate some proper pitch markings but that in itself points to the fundamental problem. It’s too damn big.
    The distance between the action and the stands at both ends of the ground made Murrayfield feel like a temporary, needs must arrangement when it has been hired out by both Celtic and Hearts. Yes, the idea might sound great in theory but the reality is that football struggles to fit in here.
    And not just because they sell everything from venison burgers to fajitas and prosecco in the vans around the ground without a pie and Bovril in sight.
    It’s not that football fans don’t deserve to be spoilt by this splendour either. In fact, the perennially thirsty Tartan Army would doubtless relish the facilities on offer in and around the ground as well as the attention to detail afforded to them by their would be hosts at the SRU.
    The purpose built fan village, for example, which is set up right outside the front door and which opens itself up for thousands of Starmer-Smiths more than two hours before kick-off, would be right up their street assuming that is, that the licensing laws would not discriminate against them merely for following the wrong sport. Which is far from guaranteed given the second class status afforded to them.
    But then again, this is a reputation which has been earned over the years. And it’s that stubbornly roguish element among football’s followers which would make this proposed move across the country a logistical minefield.
    The majority of Scottish football supporters may well be responsible, perfectly civilised folk but there are thousands of others among them who have great difficulty behaving like decent human beings, especially when they find themselves part of a mob and surrounded by kindred spirits.
    How could this lot be trusted not to grind the country’s major rail artery between Glasgow and the capital to a stand-still if or when Celtic meet Rangers there in a cup final or semi? There’s the potential here for running skirmishes to stretch simultaneously all the way from Queen Street Station to the Haymarket and how on earth are Police Scotland’s resources meant to cope with such a scenario?
    The cops may have got policing this rivalry down to a fine art over the years but that’s because it’s been confined to the city’s own streets and stadia. Years of practice has led to long established protocol when these fans are being shepherded into Celtic Park, Ibrox and Hampden.
    By rolling it across the country it would present them with an entirely new and very probably impossible set of circumstances.
    When 15,000 Rangers fans made the trip earlier this season to watch their team beat Hearts, a great many of them were ferried across the M8 on a fleet of buses which were laid on for them by the SRU. It went like clockwork apparently which is all very well.
    But if almost 70,000 rival fans from both sides of the Clyde are swarming into town from all angles, what chance would the authorities have of maintaining public order? They can hardly stop people getting onto trains nor can they segregate the motorways or the Harthill services.
    There are civil liberties and human rights for that sort of thing.
    And then there’s the sense and sensibilities of the good people of the Capital city and the residents of its leafy west end who may never before have witnessed such sights.
    What exactly would they make of this unfolding mayhem as they peer out from the behind the bay windows of their town houses?

I don't recall the SRU laying on buses and can't see why they would.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    The SFA would never move out of Glasgow. This whole considering Murrayfield angle has been a complete cherade from the start.
    And Queens Park know that.

No point having options if you aren’t prepared to use them.

J

re Jackson's piece and the logistics of Old Firm travel, I've mentioned before but there's more than one railway line between the East & West.
    One set of fans arrive at Edinburgh Park and tram it to Murrayfield, the other walks from Haymarket, the 2 tribes would never meet.

How does a significant %age of their followers manage their weekly sojourn across the Irish sea without high profile conflated most matches?

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Depending on who we're talking about, they could tram one set of fans West to Edinburgh Park for fans heading West or Central, another tram heads East for the other set of West fans or those going north. There are already trains that go to Glasgow on different lines so segregation shouldn't be an issue.
    Good point.

If it was Celtic v Sevco, for example, one lot could be directed to travel via Falkirk (stating at Haymarket) and the others via Airdrie-Bathgate (stating at Edinburgh Park). If Aberdeen or a Dundee club were involved, they could be directed to get the tram to Edinburgh Gateway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I hope they don't move to Murrayfield as Hearts will take the rent given they built and own it.
    Oh no, I didn’t know it was rusting!

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    The SFA would never move out of Glasgow. This whole considering Murrayfield angle has been a complete cherade from the start.
    The SFA now have offices at Oriam...but still majority at Hampden

There is no way they will leave hampden and no hope in hell they will leave Glasgow.
    Hampden will get a lick of paint or some other minor improvement.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Good point.

If it was Celtic v Sevco, for example, one lot could be directed to travel via Falkirk (stating at Haymarket) and the others via Airdrie-Bathgate (stating at Edinburgh Park). If Aberdeen or a Dundee club were involved, they could be directed to get the tram to Edinburgh Gateway.
    All this talk about segregation is great, but it's assuming the fans want to come straight to the match then go straight home afterwards. good mn would probably want to be in Edinburgh before and after the game for some entertainment.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy.1875 View Post
    All this talk about segregation is great, but it's assuming the fans want to come straight to the match then go straight home afterwards. good mn would probably want to be in Edinburgh before and after the game for some entertainment.
    I don’t know how old firm games normally work, but at every other game I’ve been to fans mingle pre-game. It is possible to segregate at the west end though and send some past Haymarket and some round the back.

Post game people Would just have to make do, one set of fans always has a long way to walk to get to where they want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy.1875 View Post
    I'm assuming fans already do this in Glasgow without incident?
    Whenever I've headed to Hampden I like to get in and out as quickly as possible but I have been known on occasion to pop in to a cricket or bowling club when organised by the fine peeps here on Hibs.net.
    For those that want to take in the sights & hostelries of this fine city I can't see there being that much of a difference from when fans attend Hampden, it should be borne in mind that finals aren't exclusive to Celtic & Rangers, other teams will be allowed so I'd be disappointed in the authorities if the driver behind any decision making process was how to keep those teams apart,,,,

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    I'm assuming fans already do this in Glasgow without incident?
    Whenever I've headed to Hampden I like to get in and out as quickly as possible but I have been known on occasion to pop in to a cricket or bowling club when organised by the fine peeps here on Hibs.net.
    For those that want to take in the sights & hostelries of this fine city I can't see there being that much of a difference from when fans attend Hampden, it should be borne in mind that finals aren't exclusive to Celtic & Rangers, other teams will be allowed so I'd be disappointed in the authorities if the driver behind any decision making process was how to keep those teams apart,,,,
    One thing about the OF playing in Edinburgh would be that we would be more likely to hear about the trouble that IMO goes largely unreported when they play in Glasgow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    No way did I expect a bite on that.
    It's obvious that the forward looking team didn't buy it in the 1950s as wasn't it big enough to host their 400,000 fans!!

Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    It's obvious that the forward looking team didn't buy it in the 1950s as wasn't it big enough to host their 400,000 fans!!
    Didn't the Corporation offer it to them for zilch?

Having spoken to a local (to Murrayfield) retailer, he was dreading having thousands of unwashed 'fans' staggering past on the way to the ground.
    The hearts/sevco game was enough to sicken his mind from the thought of any potential profits from the extra footfall passing his door.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavinho View Post
    Having spoken to a local (to Murrayfield) retailer, he was dreading having thousands of unwashed 'fans' staggering past on the way to the ground.
    The hearts/sevco game was enough to sicken his mind from the thought of any potential profits from the extra footfall passing his door.
    Forgot you can drink on the streets in Edinburgh but not Glasgow!
    Imagine 67,000 of that lot drinking on the streets of Edinburgh before a game, carnage

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Forgot you can drink on the streets in Edinburgh but not Glasgow!
    Imagine 67,000 of that lot drinking on the streets of Edinburgh before a game, carnage
    A lot of P'sh draining into the water o Leith