hibs.net Messageboard

Official Site: MINUTE'S APPLAUSE BEFORE SATURDAY'S MATCH

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Personally think it should be a silence more respectful IMO.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Totally agree Jim unless the family have expressed this as the way they wish Liam remembered by supporters of the clubs he represented of course, we just don't know.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I agree, and I'm sure the Dons fans would have respected any request for a minute's silence.

One of the problems with a minutes silence is that its a massive game fans will be(especially dons fans) kegged up well beforehand, there will be the usual 1000 dons fans still trying to gain entry outside the south 2 mins before KO not realising or just plain forgetting the silence and singing their heads off.
    I find it easier to hold a minutes applause. Theres nothing worse than a minutes silence and someone breaking it.

I also agree the dons fans would respect the minutes silence

Testimonial Due
    Me as well I think it’s more fitting when someone is taken before their time.

Couldn’t agree more.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    I'm happy either way. Each is a mark of respect and the boy had me out my seat applauding plenty so I'll stick with the club on it.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I think the fact that over a week will have passed since his death, and that Liam has been laid to rest, could be factors in coming to this decision. I would have expected a silent tribute, but as long as we pay tribute to Liam Miller one way or another that is the most important thing.

Since the funeral has already taken place we should be looking to celebrate his life and applaud his talents and service to the club. It just takes one moron to ruin a silent tribute.

Should be a silence imo. An applause seems inappropriate in the circumstances.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Applause has always seemed inappropriate to me. I will stand in silence in my own show of respect.

There have been plenty of impeccably observed silences in the past.

I'd have thought that a silence would be more appropriate for a situation as tragic as this - the death of a 36 year old - but I'm not that fussed, applause is still very much respectful in its own way.

I don't even think that Rangers or Hearts fans would have a problem staying silent for this - as I would hope/ think that we would manage to do for one of their former players dying in similar circumstances - anything other than that reflects very badly on that particular set of fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Applause has always seemed inappropriate to me. I will stand in silence in my own show of respect.
    Totally agree.

I won't stand for obvious reasons (I'm in a wheelchair in case anyone is wondering) but I will sit in silence with my head bowed for the duration.

Having an applause can't be in accordance with the wishes of the family as Celtic held a minute's silence last week. I am disappointed that Hibs have decided to hold an applause as opposed to a silence and if anyone from the club is checking in on this thread, I would urge you to reconsider this.

A young man of 36 years of age has lost his life to cancer and has left behind 3 young children. The most respectful and dignified way to mark his passing is with a minute's silence, which I'm sure would be impeccably observed by both sets of supporters.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    FWIW I actually like the minutes applause. He got the opportunity to do what many would dream of - playing for clubs like ours, Man United, Celtic etc. and although his passing is horrendous and especially at a young age I'd rather appreciate and celebrate what he achieved from his hard work. I find a minutes silence a little maudlin and considering that what he did gave others joy (I remember his goal against Hearts in the 2-2 derby where Vaz Te also scored) I like the very public appreciation of his time with us and I like looking at the positive of what he did rather than how early he tragically passed.

I realise that this is a very touchy and emotionally driven matter though so I can also appreciate why people would rather have a silence.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 15-02-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

It's never just a 1 minute applause though is it? Couple of seconds in someone will sing "one liam miller" then other parts of the stadium will join in as others don't and it just becomes a noise. 1 minute silence is the best way to show respect at a match.

Idk whether an applause or silence is best.

what could be quite stunning tho is a SOL dedication...

Spot on.