hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attendances

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Approximately 112,000 people (and that word is being extremely generous to some of them) watching football regularly in Glasgow. Pretty impressive to be fair. Can’t be many similarly sized cities with figures like that. I mean there’s Manchester, but it contains the richest club in the world on one side of town and one of the most iconic clubs in the world on the other.
    Leaving aside the yams Murrayfield embarrassment where they did a Kilmarnock and sold half their tickets to the huns - and pulled in a giant dons support - the regular gates of almost 35k across the two Edinburgh clubs is pretty amazing. When did that last happen, the 50s or something?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Next season will be a good one for comparisons.

Both clubs will have settled teams and managers and there will be no excuses about pitches or stadiums or off field stuff.

A strong finish to the season and a couple of quality signings could see us beat their average next year.

It might kill them as a club?!

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Our attendances this season have been brilliant. Long may it continue.

Personally, I couldn't give a toss about their attendances.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Our average will be higher come the end of the season, I’ll put money on that.

What we need is a good run of form and to get the ST’s on sale in March/April.

The difference to the club in getting 13k ST’s to a) renew and b) renew early could be very significant.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Dunfermline are doing alright when compared to about half of the SPL.
    Always enjoy a trip to East End Park, huge away stand. Would much rather they were still in our league as apposed to the likes of Hamilton.

They have lived a LIE for decades and it continues and will continue. If they want to use the Murrayfield attendances as part of their Avg then it shows their desperation.

Frankly it shows you exactly what they are all about.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    They have lived a LIE for decades and it continues and will continue. If they want to use the Murrayfield attendances as part of their Avg then it shows their desperation.

Exactly! Let them self delude till the cows come home. Now it’s there pathetic Murrayfield gerrymandering. Truth is they are a smaller club with a smaller stadium and support. Pumping it up through financial dopingbwith now evaporating glory hunters does not a solid support base make.

First Team Breakthrough timewilltell's Avatar
    Don't understand the obsession with comparisons to Hearts attendances.

Quote Originally Posted by timewilltell View Post
    To be honest mate its a relatively new thing. If Hibs got a big crowd back in the day it was always a reason to be pleased, but as I recall it was never used as a stick to beat another club with, not even Hearts. It was the same with them, even though their crowds for most seasons would be slightly higher than ours I genuinely cant remember hearing their fans going on about it.

This all began when their 'big team / wee team nonsense started and got ramped up after 56,000 folk turned up at Murrayfield to watch Barcelona. The fact that about 30,000 of them A) weren't Hearts fans and B) had probably never even been to Tynecastle and had no intention of ever doing so didn't matter, it cemented the delusion into their tiny minds .... I know at least 3 non Yams who went to that game and I'm willing to bet every other Hibby does as well.

Given what we have had to put up with over the last few decades is it any wonder we take every opportunity to ram their 'big team' pish down their throats .... If we do end up with a higher average than them come the end of the season I wont blame anybody for revelling in it.

The truth is Hibs and Hearts are both big clubs in Scotland, but compared to most of Europe we fall very much into the medium sized category. I think most Hibbies are happy to accept that and its time our neighbours did as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post

Or it shows how's many people attended hearts home matches this season. I don't see the problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    Our average will be higher come the end of the season, I’ll put money on that.
    Fairly safe bet. With Killie closing in on 5th and Motherwell likely to catch them too we will have a top 6 finish and in 7th they wont get the home game against us and Celtic instead they'll get Hamilton and Ross County. Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    Or it shows how's many people attended hearts home matches this season. I don't see the problem with it.
    Exactly. The fact that Murrayfield attracted far higher away attendances from curious Aberdeen, Killie and Sevco fans at the end of the day is just the Yams good luck .... they still paid to get into the game, it was a Hearts home game and therefor its perfectly legitimate for them to count those folk in their average. The stats are for average attendances for each club, not average attendances for each stadium.

If you ask me if we end up with a higher average even taking the Yams Murrayfield sabbatical into account surely that will make our effort all the more impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    Fairly safe bet. With Killie closing in on 5th and Motherwell likely to catch them too we will have a top 6 finish and in 7th they wont get the home game against us and Celtic instead they'll get Hamilton and Ross County. Sweet.
    I would be surprised if Hearts weren't in the top six. They have 1 defeat in their last 15 games and have only lost 6 goals in that time.

I'm confident we can finish above them but they will finish comfortably inside the top six in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by timewilltell View Post
    Same here. Some folk go on about them constantly. Lets focus on Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Same here. Some folk go on about them constantly. Lets focus on Hibs.
    until 9th March...

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Hibs and Hearts are two clubs of similar size and fanbase competing for the same targets. Arguing over such small numbers in an attempt to define the bigger of the two is just futile and a waste of everyone's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Hibs and Hearts are two clubs of similar size and fanbase competing for the same targets. Arguing over such small numbers in an attempt to define the bigger of the two is just futile and a waste of everyone's time.
    Imagine if the two clubs combined and renamed themselves Heart of Midlothian.......Oh wait

Testimonial Due
    This table tells me one thing, Scottish Football changing the League size to 16 or 18 teams, would murder any teams projections of income in that first season as only the top 5 teams have 5 figure attendances and another 3 have 5,000+ and another 5 have 4,000+????
    It is dire straits for clubs trying to play catch up with the Uglies!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    This table tells me one thing, Scottish Football changing the League size to 16 or 18 teams, would murder any teams projections of income in that first season as only the top 5 teams have 5 figure attendances and another 3 have 5,000+ and another 5 have 4,000+????
    It is dire straits for clubs trying to play catch up with the Uglies!!!!
    Would the argument not be that the likes of Dundee United, Dunfermline, St. Mirren and Falkirk (all with decent averages in the Championship) would get bigger crowds due to matches with us, Hearts, Aberdeen, Celtic and Rangers? Even the likes of Morton would have bigger attendances, given the amount of Hun and Tic fans going to Cappielow when playing there, and we always take a good away support to Greenock. St.Johnstone continue to baffle, mind - decent city, and a team who have punched above their weight for years, but shan turnouts at home gemmes.

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Would the argument not be that the likes of Dundee United, Dunfermline, St. Mirren and Falkirk (all with decent averages in the Championship) would get bigger crowds due to matches with us, Hearts, Aberdeen, Celtic and Rangers? Even the likes of Morton would have bigger attendances, given the amount of Hun and Tic fans going to Cappielow when playing there, and we always take a good away support to Greenock. St.Johnstone continue to baffle, mind - decent city, and a team who have punched above their weight for years, but shan turnouts at home gemmes.
    Hibs are dead against an enlarged league as it would hurt us financially playing Hearts, Sevco, Celtic and Aberdeen once each at home. These are the games that bring in the cash. TV companies don’t want it either as they only want these top games.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Hibs are dead against an enlarged league as it would hurt us financially playing Hearts, Sevco, Celtic and Aberdeen once each at home. These are the games that bring in the cash. TV companies don’t want it either as they only want these top games.

Following that argument to it's logical conclusion, why don't The Rangers just play Celtc 36 times a season?

I think that is probably the view of most of the clubs in the Premier League, and I understand it but not sure an enlarged league would necessarily hurt attendances across the board. In years gone by, we got poorer crowds for those games anyway when on the TV as the unsociable KO times and ability to view at home or in the pub kept people away but at the moment we seem to be near enough selling out our own stands regardless of the opposition or other factors. That could change again of course, if our fortunes took another downturn.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Always enjoy a trip to East End Park, huge away stand. Would much rather they were still in our league as apposed to the likes of Hamilton.
    Good steak bridies too.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Following that argument to it's logical conclusion, why don't The Rangers just play Celtc 36 times a season?
    Dont they do that already? You'd think so if you believe the weegie media circus.

I think that is probably the view of most of the clubs in the Premier League, and I understand it but not sure an enlarged league would necessarily hurt attendances across the board. In years gone by, we got poorer crowds for those games anyway when on the TV as the unsociable KO times and ability to view at home or in the pub kept people away but at the moment we seem to be near enough selling out our own stands regardless of the opposition or other factors. That could change again of course, if our fortunes took another downturn.
    Crowd for Aberdeen game this week will be much higher than for recents games v Hamilton, Ross county etc

attendances

Play summer football .Simple bigger crowds,bigger money from T.V when no EPL games scheduled

Obsessed with the Hibees son of haggart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Incredible figures for Hibs and only likely to get better with a certain 18,000 plus against Aberdeen and a full house against the Yams to come

For those of us lucky? enough to have followed Scottish football in the 80s and 90s seeing Hibs the Yams and Aberdeen all with averages over 15,000 in the same season is incredible, it would have been unthinkable back then.

I find it amazing that folk in the press, TV and especially the corridors of power in Scottish football, folk who are supposed to have the good of the game at heart, and even more pertinently are supposed to be promoting and selling it, seem to be so quiet on stats like these. Its good news FFS and makes our game, at least on the surface, look in decent health ..... they should be shouting it from the bloody rooftops

Stats like those would put Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen mid table or just below in attendances for the Spanish, Italian and French leagues ... three of the so called big 5 in Europe ... and in the top half of the Dutch and Belgian leagues as well. If you chuck in the Ugly sisters who would make a dent in the top 5 of any league in Europe with the crowds they get its unbelievable that we cant attract far more money into our game ... no wonder Barry Hearn was so bloody scathing

Great post. Those tossers at the GFA and the media establishment are throttling the game they claim to love. A fairer distribution of tv revenues would be a start, but as you point out they are just not interested even in reporting the upsurge in attendances. What other institutions would ignore the growth of key elements in favour of continuing to focus resources on two Neanderthal stuck-in-the-past businesses who peaked more than 30 years ago.

Crowd for Aberdeen game this week will be much higher than for recents games v Hamilton, Ross county etc

Aye, that is certainly true but that is partly because of a large Dons contingent, which brings me back to my earlier argument about clubs with big travelling supports raising attendance levels at other clubs over a 16/18 team league.

Anyway, it is all academic as a bigger league isnae happening and nobody knows for sure what impact it may have had on crowds.

Aye, that is certainly true but that is partly because of a large Dons contingent, which brings me back to my earlier argument about clubs with big travelling supports raising attendance levels at other clubs over a 16/18 team league.

Anyway, it is all academic as a bigger league isnae happening and nobody knows for sure what impact it may have had on crowds.
    The logic is a bit dodgy. The same number of away fans will travel week in week out. Where they go is of no consequence as in the end the average number travelling remains the same. No statistical significant difference can be implied.