hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33

Thread: Pancake Day

  1. #1
    Testimonial Due Nameless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,815

    Pancake Day

    Happy Pancake Day all.

    I've traditionally been a lemon and cinnamon guy, but it turns out I can't tolerate cinnamon any more. I'm making pancakes with the wee man today, so looking for filling suggestions.

    We're doing the usual Nutella, jam and sugar ones - any other decent fillings?

    Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,742
    Fried chicken? Works with waffles anyway.
    Mon the Hibs.

  4. #3
    Testimonial Due Nameless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,815
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fried chicken? Works with waffles anyway.
    That's not a bad shout.

    Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dont know its too dark in here
    Age
    60
    Posts
    9,621
    Syrup, yum!

    Lemon and sugar, yum!

    Raspberry and ice cream.
    Space to let

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,789
    In keeping with our habit of completely missing the point of Christian customs we have bought pre-mixed pancake batter this year.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In keeping with our habit of completely missing the point of Christian customs we have bought pre-mixed pancake batter this year.
    I always buy ready made stuff. Me and my 16 year old just had a great time making and eating pancakes. Didnt go for any healthy options for toppings though :
    Last edited by Mrs. S; 13-02-2018 at 06:44 PM.

  8. #7
    Usually end up eating about ten of them golden syrup and Nutella on rotation.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always but ready made stuff. Me and my 16 year old just had a great time making and eating pancakes. Didnt go for any healthy options for toppings though
    We've got plans for nuttella ones in about 20 minutes

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We've got plans for nuttella ones in about 20 minutes
    Choc syrup and skooshy cream here

  11. #10
    Testimonial Due EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,898
    Weíre having Banana and Caramel. Theyíre amazing.

  12. #11
    Testimonial Due Nameless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,815
    We went with fried chicken, crispy bacon and maple syrup. In fairness it was more like a wrap than a pancake, but it was tidy.

    Banana and caramel is on the menu for the next batch.

    Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

  13. #12
    Pancake tossing or carnival - these pesky Victorianís short changed is again...
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

    ....SHARE THE VISION RODNEY....

  14. #13
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,711
    Syrup and crispy bacon.

  15. #14
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    40
    Posts
    6,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We went with fried chicken, crispy bacon and maple syrup. In fairness it was more like a wrap than a pancake, but it was tidy.

    Banana and caramel is on the menu for the next batch.

    Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    Where did you get/ how did you do the caramel?

    Sounds delicious.

  16. #15
    Testimonial Due EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where did you get/ how did you do the caramel?

    Sounds delicious.
    You can make it yourself by boiling a tin of condensed milk, but you can just buy it ready made in the tin. Itís not quite as nice as making it yourself but itís much easier and still tidy.

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    12,169
    Iím on a diet so I couldnít eat any. I made some for the bairn, I was flipping them and everything. I couldíve been there all day. It took me back to my bakery days. I made my own batter with flour eggs and milk.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  18. #17
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In keeping with our habit of completely missing the point of Christian customs we have bought pre-mixed pancake batter this year.
    Whatís there to pre-mix? Itís just egg, flour and milk.

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whatís there to pre-mix? Itís just egg, flour and milk.
    So instead of buying the separate ingredients and then cracking eggs into a bowl and adding flour and milk and mixing it into a batter, the pre-mixed cartons contain batter which you can pour directly into a hot pan. It's fairly self-explanatory no?
    Last edited by Mr White; 14-02-2018 at 06:04 AM.

  20. #19
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So instead of buying the separate ingredients and then cracking eggs into a bowl and adding flour and milk and mixing it into a batter, the pre-mixed cartons contain batter which you can pour directly into a hot pan. It's fairly self-explanatory no?
    Most houses have eggs and milk. You might not have flour! It’s beyond pointless.

    The way of the world though with over half of food shopping being ultra-processed.
    Last edited by Colr; 14-02-2018 at 06:19 AM.

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most houses have eggs and milk. You might not have flour! Itís beyond pointless.

    The way of the world though with over half of food shopping being ultra-processed.
    We don't usually have eggs in the house. Whether something is (or even beyond) pointless is entirely subjective surely? Some might say that criticising other people's shopping or cooking habits doesn't really serve much purpose

  22. #21
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We don't usually have eggs in the house. Whether something is (or even beyond) pointless is entirely subjective surely? Some might say that criticising other people's shopping or cooking habits doesn't really serve much purpose
    I disagree. Itís all highly relevant stuff as evidenced by this piece of nonsense.

    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a8153151.html

  23. #22
    Scottish Cup Victory - Witness 2016 Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    50
    Posts
    16,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree. Itís all highly relevant stuff as evidenced by this piece of nonsense.

    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a8153151.html
    Cauliflower steak😂
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree. Itís all highly relevant stuff as evidenced by this piece of nonsense.

    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a8153151.html
    It's still subjective. I don't like cauliflower so I wouldn't have bought that and while I agree it's over packaged and a bit silly it maybe suited some people. Unless you're prepared to retreat to the woods and live a survivalist style of existence it's nearly impossible to avoid packaged, processed food in modern life.

    Individuals choose to draw the line at what constitutes "over-processed" differently, I don't really see the point in criticising other people's habits as we're all slaves to the same system, just to differing degrees.
    Last edited by Mr White; 14-02-2018 at 08:05 AM.

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member Benny Brazil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    47
    Posts
    3,044
    Usually Syrup and sugar for me but for some reason last night thought I would try crunchy peanut butter -not my best idea!
    For the kids its always nutella.

  26. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can make it yourself by boiling a tin of condensed milk, but you can just buy it ready made in the tin. Itís not quite as nice as making it yourself but itís much easier and still tidy.

    The ready made tinned stuff is fab. We use it for churros too with a dusting of icing sugar.

  27. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most houses have eggs and milk. You might not have flour! It’s beyond pointless.

    The way of the world though with over half of food shopping being ultra-processed.
    Get over yerself man! I paid a pound for a carton with powder in the bottom,fill with water /milk to the fill line and shake. Job done. Nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by Mrs. S; 14-02-2018 at 11:29 AM.

  28. #27
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Get over yerself man! I paid a pound for a carton with powder in the bottom,fill with water /milk to the fill line and shake. Job done. Nothing wrong with that.
    If you add the milk to 9p worth of plain flour then add an egg (12p) you have enough for 12 pancakes and itís just as easy. You can use the rest of the ingredients to make yorkshire puddings and batter although you can buy seperate package of pancake mix and yorkshire pudding mix as well, I guess.

  29. #28
    @hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you add the milk to 9p worth of plain flour then add an egg (12p) you have enough for 12 pancakes and itís just as easy. You can use the rest of the ingredients to make yorkshire puddings and batter although you can buy seperate package of pancake mix and yorkshire pudding mix as well, I guess.
    You mean you don't grow your own wheat and mill it in to flour yourself? Sounds like you're just as much of a part of the problem as us pre-mixed batter buying slobs are Col

  30. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you add the milk to 9p worth of plain flour then add an egg (12p) you have enough for 12 pancakes and itís just as easy. You can use the rest of the ingredients to make yorkshire puddings and batter although you can buy seperate package of pancake mix and yorkshire pudding mix as well, I guess.
    Scotmid doesnt sell 9p worth of plain flour. My Yorkshire puddings come courtesy of Aunt Bessie

  31. #30
    Testimonial Due EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scotmid doesnt sell 9p worth of plain flour. My Yorkshire puddings come courtesy of Aunt Bessie
    I dread to think what their opinion would be of me with my frozen mashed tatties lol.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved