hibs.net Messageboard

 

Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1

    Keyboard (so-called) warriors

    Fans forums by there very nature tend to show passionately held opposing views. Think of the analysis of the abilities of Lewis Stevenson. How many times have you read post-match comment and wondered if you were at the same game? Fans are amazingly fickle. The potential champions League winners know that they are only a couple of bad results from being wage thieves who should never be allowed near a Hibs shirt. Fans are also paranoid to some extent, convinced of belief that our team is persecuted by the press and other media and subject to incompetent, even corrupt match officials.
    But that is the purpose of a forum. However I believe that even taking into account the "political correctness gone mad" argument and the dismissive "grow a pair snowflake" view there should be a limit.
    Now let's not pretend that we are models of rectitude. I remember being embarrassed at a recent game at Alloa when a goalkeeper about to take a goalkick was accused of " looking like a paedophile".
    But for mindless foulmouthed bigotry nothing can match The Bear's Den on Rangers Media. Despite an appeal from the moderators of the site to stop personal abuse it reached a new low. A four letter curse, far from being replaced by astersisks was printed in capital letters, followed by a hope that the referee would "catch aids and die" sets up the general tone.
    Yes you can hear "industrial language" at any game and in society in general but this borders on the criminal. And does the media mention it?
    Perhaps you feel that the best policy is "Sticks and stones".
    Is there any practical solution?
    I welcome your response.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Alloa
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,063
    Blog Entries
    1
    **** off ya ****!!!��

  4. #3
    Moan then!

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    50
    Posts
    17,254
    Shut yer puss!

  6. #5
    Coaching Staff NAE NOOKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Galashiels
    Posts
    9,944
    Folk on here disagreeing with me are lucky its not real life .... I could batter anybody, I'm f'ing handy

  7. #6
    Coaching Staff iwasthere1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh South
    Posts
    20,351

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    33,455
    I couldn't agree with you more.

    Everyone else is a tosser.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    lincolnshire
    Age
    58
    Posts
    14,401
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Folk on here disagreeing with me are lucky its not real life .... I could batter anybody, I'm f'ing handy
    You should see the size of my keyboard. Can take on anyone with it.

    Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

    "I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

    Sir Matt Busby

  10. #9
    Coaching Staff iwasthere1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh South
    Posts
    20,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I couldn't agree with you more.

    Everyone else is a tosser.
    Loads of tossers, especially today. Frying pan at the ready.

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Broxburn
    Posts
    18,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You should see the size of my keyboard. Can take on anyone with it.

    Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

  12. #11
    Testimonial Due HoboHarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You should see the size of my keyboard. Can take on anyone with it.

    Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    Ha, bet your wife's keyboard is harder than yours...

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    lincolnshire
    Age
    58
    Posts
    14,401
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ha, bet your wife's keyboard is harder than yours...
    Wheesht. Don't say anything. I'm dead in the water if she finds out I'm playing with the interweb hard men again

    Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

    "I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

    Sir Matt Busby

  14. #13
    Testimonial Due HoboHarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wheesht. Don't say anything. I'm dead in the water if she finds out I'm playing with the interweb hard men again

    Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    All wives are mean, mine is always shouting at me. You would think that at some point she would get used to me wearing her underwear..

    😁

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    lincolnshire
    Age
    58
    Posts
    14,401
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All wives are mean, mine is always shouting at me. You would think that at some point she would get used to me wearing her underwear..

    Your secrets safe on Hibs. Net.

    Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

    "I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

    Sir Matt Busby

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by twiceinathens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fans forums by there very nature tend to show passionately held opposing views. Think of the analysis of the abilities of Lewis Stevenson. How many times have you read post-match comment and wondered if you were at the same game? Fans are amazingly fickle. The potential champions League winners know that they are only a couple of bad results from being wage thieves who should never be allowed near a Hibs shirt. Fans are also paranoid to some extent, convinced of belief that our team is persecuted by the press and other media and subject to incompetent, even corrupt match officials.
    But that is the purpose of a forum. However I believe that even taking into account the "political correctness gone mad" argument and the dismissive "grow a pair snowflake" view there should be a limit.
    Now let's not pretend that we are models of rectitude. I remember being embarrassed at a recent game at Alloa when a goalkeeper about to take a goalkick was accused of " looking like a paedophile".
    But for mindless foulmouthed bigotry nothing can match The Bear's Den on Rangers Media. Despite an appeal from the moderators of the site to stop personal abuse it reached a new low. A four letter curse, far from being replaced by astersisks was printed in capital letters, followed by a hope that the referee would "catch aids and die" sets up the general tone.
    Yes you can hear "industrial language" at any game and in society in general but this borders on the criminal. And does the media mention it?
    Perhaps you feel that the best policy is "Sticks and stones".
    Is there any practical solution?
    I welcome your response.
    Would be interesting to pull a few threads from the earliest incantation of Hibs.net.

    There would be no trolling
    There probably would be more actual names
    Not too sure about other teams posting
    There would be match reports
    There might be someone from a far flung location like an arctic station or Saskatchewan.
    It would be emoji free
    It might not be too bad a place to hang out for a while and feel better about the world.

    I blame progress - but heck since it brought the Scottish Cup Iíll deal with it :)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

    ....SHARE THE VISION RODNEY....

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Newcastle/Gateshead
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,100
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would be interesting to pull a few threads from the earliest incantation of Hibs.net.

    There would be no trolling
    There probably would be more actual names
    Not too sure about other teams posting
    There would be match reports
    There might be someone from a far flung location like an arctic station or Saskatchewan.
    It would be emoji free
    It might not be too bad a place to hang out for a while and feel better about the world.

    I blame progress - but heck since it brought the Scottish Cup Iíll deal with it :)
    Or bickering and corruption, so much so that a big portion of the userbase split off and formed the Bounce.

    I miss Rivals.net, those were the true halcyon days!

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or bickering and corruption, so much so that a big portion of the userbase split off and formed the Bounce.

    I miss Rivals.net, those were the true halcyon days!
    Gutted I lost my Hibs list emails on discussion groups...
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

    ....SHARE THE VISION RODNEY....

  19. #18
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,710
    Anyone who resorts to keyboard hardmanship (just made that word up I think) loses all credibility.

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North stand
    Posts
    16,289
    In the old days, keyboard hard-men had boundaries.

    This new breed of smartphone and tablet hard men are a different kettle of fish.

  21. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone who resorts to keyboard hardmanship (just made that word up I think) loses all credibility.
    Did they evolve or is it devolve from hurling abuse during he Miller era?

    Can just hear the tones of David Attenborough : ďand hear foraging around the online forums is a neo-threatius-keyboardicus.... strutting around and waiting for the rutting season to reach its peak in a blur of frenzied posturing in the end signifying nothingĒ
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

    ....SHARE THE VISION RODNEY....

  22. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by twiceinathens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fans forums by there very nature tend to show passionately held opposing views. Think of the analysis of the abilities of Lewis Stevenson. How many times have you read post-match comment and wondered if you were at the same game? Fans are amazingly fickle. The potential champions League winners know that they are only a couple of bad results from being wage thieves who should never be allowed near a Hibs shirt. Fans are also paranoid to some extent, convinced of belief that our team is persecuted by the press and other media and subject to incompetent, even corrupt match officials.
    But that is the purpose of a forum. However I believe that even taking into account the "political correctness gone mad" argument and the dismissive "grow a pair snowflake" view there should be a limit.
    Now let's not pretend that we are models of rectitude. I remember being embarrassed at a recent game at Alloa when a goalkeeper about to take a goalkick was accused of " looking like a paedophile".
    But for mindless foulmouthed bigotry nothing can match The Bear's Den on Rangers Media. Despite an appeal from the moderators of the site to stop personal abuse it reached a new low. A four letter curse, far from being replaced by astersisks was printed in capital letters, followed by a hope that the referee would "catch aids and die" sets up the general tone.
    Yes you can hear "industrial language" at any game and in society in general but this borders on the criminal. And does the media mention it?
    Perhaps you feel that the best policy is "Sticks and stones".
    Is there any practical solution?
    I welcome your response.
    The moderators as they call themselves are just bad as the rest...would love to know just what it takes to get banned. The other thing is that these guys look down on amd sneer at Follow Follow for it's low quality 😂😂

  23. #22
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by twiceinathens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fans forums by there very nature tend to show passionately held opposing views. Think of the analysis of the abilities of Lewis Stevenson. How many times have you read post-match comment and wondered if you were at the same game? Fans are amazingly fickle. The potential champions League winners know that they are only a couple of bad results from being wage thieves who should never be allowed near a Hibs shirt. Fans are also paranoid to some extent, convinced of belief that our team is persecuted by the press and other media and subject to incompetent, even corrupt match officials.
    But that is the purpose of a forum. However I believe that even taking into account the "political correctness gone mad" argument and the dismissive "grow a pair snowflake" view there should be a limit.
    Now let's not pretend that we are models of rectitude. I remember being embarrassed at a recent game at Alloa when a goalkeeper about to take a goalkick was accused of " looking like a paedophile".
    But for mindless foulmouthed bigotry nothing can match The Bear's Den on Rangers Media. Despite an appeal from the moderators of the site to stop personal abuse it reached a new low. A four letter curse, far from being replaced by astersisks was printed in capital letters, followed by a hope that the referee would "catch aids and die" sets up the general tone.
    Yes you can hear "industrial language" at any game and in society in general but this borders on the criminal. And does the media mention it?
    Perhaps you feel that the best policy is "Sticks and stones".
    Is there any practical solution?
    I welcome your response.

    Generally agree with this - some decent points but I disagree with this gross generalisation that "fans are amazingly fickle". Tam Cowan trots out this nonsense like his favourite mantra on Off the Ball but just because he likes the sound of it doesn't mean it's true. Most fans I know (and not just Hibbies) are far from fickle. In fact some are so entrenched in their views that they could maybe do with being a bit more fickle. As for the more venomously abusive tirades they generally come from folk who don't have the wit to respond any other way.

  24. #23
    Testimonial Due madabouthibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Broxburn
    Posts
    1,537
    Don't do the keyboard warrior thing, waste of time, I have a tablet, with a touch screen....,, and if any of you ****s try touching it......
    Well, I'll be cracking out "the mouse"! 😁

  25. #24
    Chuck norris doesnt need a key board

  26. #25
    Coaching Staff NAE NOOKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Galashiels
    Posts
    9,944
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chuck norris doesnt need a key board
    He doesn't wear a watch because he decides what time it is

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member Thecat23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Age
    40
    Posts
    18,407
    Iím harder than all of you... I once fought Superman and the loser had to wear his underpants on the outside. 😎

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved