hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pat Nevin Yay or Nay?

I'm listening to him waxing lyrical about the Champions league. I know he's one of those intelligent professional Hibs fans were all supposed to like, but I just find him massively annoying. Full of himself, takes a lifetime to say very little of substance, and irritating delivery. There's also something about his'used to be a Celt until I noticed the sectarianism and then moved to Hibs' as a bit patronising.

Or is this sacrilege?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm listening to him waxing lyrical about the Champions league. I know he's one of those intelligent professional Hibs fans were all supposed to like, but I just find him massively annoying. Full of himself, takes a lifetime to say very little of substance, and irritating delivery. There's also something about his'used to be a Celt until I noticed the sectarianism and then moved to Hibs' as a bit patronising.

Or is this sacrilege?
    Nah, he's a wee slaver.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Compared to other pundits he’s not that bad.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

I played golf with him in a charity event. He is a really nice guy and totally down to earth. Quite happy to chat about Hibs and had good stories about his time at Chelsea. Just a really nice bloke.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I like him, he's quite sensible and doesn't pander too much to the masses. Although like every other pundit, his football allegiances will sway some folk one way or another.

Yet saying all that, football pundits hardly register in my thoughts one way or another in the grand scheme of things.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Met him at Hibs Berwick friendly a few years back. He's a good guy and cares about Hibs. I suspect he's bright enough to play the meejah game and get what he wants out of it.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar

Or is this sacrilege?
    I like Pat, he took himself and his family out of the West Coast sectarianism when he moved back up here - lives in the borders, IIRC.

As to the Hibs stuff, I think his kids initially wanted to go, and he found himself liking scottish football again.

As to a pundit, I like that Pat is intelligent - some dont like him, because he might appear a wee bit of that Glasgow Art School, Postcard Records thing from the 80s.

But some comparisons;

Pat Nevin or Ewan Murray
    Tam McManus or Alan Preston

Theres a pattern

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Like him. Moving away from Celtic due to sectarianism, picking to follow Hibs because of the football we played at the time, and making his laddie a Hibbie (I think) is all highly commendable in my book.

Punditry is ok. There are many who are way worse.

He also says 'period' at the end of sentences like an American. Which is a hanging offence as far as I'm concerned.

But I defer to those of you who have actually met him that he's not a wee ****

He's ok but changing your team doesn't sit well to me, even if on the face of it it's a sound decision.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Pat is first and foremost a decent human being.

In his pundit's role I find him good to listen to as he normally has an extensive knowledge of his subject area and can be relied upon to provide a sensible and balanced opinion.

He was excellent when he spoke at the ST Pats branch meeting. Great guy.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Seen him a few times at gigs, so we share musical tastes. Chatted to him just the once for the duration of a pint at a Camera Obscura show and the chat was more Cocteau Twins and Jesus & Marychain than 4-4-2 and playing the number 10 role. A pleasant guy.

Comes across as a decent, principled guy and gets extra brownie points for his allegiance to Hibs and willingness to bring it up on national radio.

Having said that, he doesn't half humble-brag about his own achievements, interests and old pals at every opportunity. I do find that a bit cringeworthy if I'm honest.

Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    Compared to other pundits he’s not that bad.
    Fair point but when the “other pundits” are those titans of knowledge and commentary such as Billy Dodds, Alan Preston, Chick Dung, Gordon Smith etc., it kind of puts Nevin into perspective.
    He does come across as a smug wee bugger at times.

Seems like a decent guy and not someone who just says things to get airtime (ala Sutton , Boyd and a few others).

Probably slightly underrated as a player as well , if he was playing in the current climate he would be worth millions.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    Comes across as a decent, principled guy and gets extra brownie points for his allegiance to Hibs and willingness to bring it up on national radio.

Having said that, he doesn't half humble-brag about his own achievements, interests and old pals at every opportunity. I do find that a bit cringeworthy if I'm honest.
    I was at a Book festival gig a few years ago, where he hosted the author of the book about Robert Enke, the goalkeeper who committed suicide. He was a decent interviewer, but often strayed into his own anecdotes. They were entertaining enough, but it became a show partly about him, which wasn't why I was there.

Having said that, he told the story of the choice he had to make on 19th May 2012. He could either commentate on the SCF, or the Champions League final (where Chelsea were playing). He agonised over it, and chose the former.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    What makes Nevin different to other pundits is that he isn't worried about setting football in it's context rather than it being the be all and end all. Most of the known pundits come across as really narrow and for the ones who really grate, that narrows down to The Rangers and Celtc.

If Pat is doing his pundit duty at a Hibernian game on TV,i will listen to the half time chat.
    I like listening to Pat. Not just because he is a Hibernian.
    I just think he is more forthright and honest than many others that do Scottish games.

Pat says things he himself maybe wishes he wouldnt have to say.
    Warts and all.

Other games and some of the other pundits?
    Halftime with a lot of the pundits i will either put the kettle on or hoover the carpet !
    Particulary those still playing.Conflict of interest sometimes.

Pat saw the light when he chose to follow Hibernian
    Just like that famous Hibernian Jackie McNamara Snr.
    Or "Jackie the Red" as he was known during his Celtic days.

Who would you rather have a pint with and chew the fat.
    Nevin, Stewart ,Sutton or Boyd ?
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 23-02-2018 at 10:46 AM.

I used to sit beside him/or his wife and their son in the old East a few years ago and Pat is a really nice bloke passionate about football. His son is autistic and wanted to go to football matches and Pat didn't want to expose him to the Celtic crap, so started taking him to see Hibs. Pat was hooked with the family style club we have here and became a fan, he still acknowledges his boyhood team is Celtic but he hates all the sectarian crap that goes with it, he's not an out and out Hibs fan but he has a soft spot for us and his son is a big Hibby now.

This was what he said when he gave evidence in 2011 to the Scottish Parliament's Justice Committee when they were looking into bigotry in football.

Pat Nevin, who played for Scotland, Motherwell, and Chelsea in the Eighties and Nineties, was sickened when he took his son to Parkhead and Celtic supports burst into IRA songs during the match.

I like him, compared to his pundit competitors he offers something a little different.

@hibs.net private member
    Decent pundit. Every time I’ve met him he comes across as a down to earth guy.

He seems a pretty inoffensive guy, which is rare for a BBC Scotland pundit and if he likes Hibs he's alright in my book.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    He's ok but changing your team doesn't sit well to me, even if on the face of it it's a sound decision.

Yeah but changing to Hibs is surely the exception?

Left by mutual consent!
    Presume you were listening to the Totally Footballs show. Usually don’t mind Nevin but found him pretty tortuous.

I was at a Dalkeith a Hibs supporter function about 4 years ago and Pat was one of the speakers. He really was excellent and totally upfront about being a Hibbee convert but from his contribution on the day it really was obvious he was a total Hibernian and really got the ethos of our great club.

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Presume you were listening to the Totally Footballs show. Usually don’t mind Nevin but found him pretty tortuous.
    That was the one. He sounded like he was just about to start eating himself. But he's a bit like that on Five live. Each to their own...
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 23-02-2018 at 12:09 PM.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Yeah but changing to Hibs is surely the exception?

Agree. I've started liking my hun lite cousin again now that he has started taking his kids to ER because he doesn't want them to listen to "all the west of Scotland hate crap".

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

That was the one. He sounded like he was just about to start eating himself.
    I think he might be pals with the Wigan manager, not sure if you got that

@hibs.net private member
    I've always found that as a pundit he comes across well - thoughtful, even handed and insightful - and speaks well, so he's definitely one that I've got a lot more time for out of the preferred pool of Scottish football pundits.

Re the allegiance thing - Yes he's unusual in that he appears to have switched allegiance, although as a professional footballer I think that the club you support as a boy matters a lot less after a career playing for multiple clubs - all of whom should be your main focus for at least as long as you play for them. Of course Nevin never played for Hibs and neither did he play (at senior level) for Celtic, who he apparently followed as a boy. Nevertheless, the story of Nevin effectively becoming a Hibee by accident having brought his son along to ER during the fantastically entertaining and exciting Mowbray era sounds genuine enough to me and is, I think, a compliment to Hibs as a club and the fans - amongst whom Nevin and his son evidently feel perfectly at home.

On a personal level I've bumped into Pat once at Harthill on the way to Hampden and found him to be a nice down to earth and affable guy who was perfectly happy to shoot the breeze with a passing random Hibee such as myself - so as far as I could tell a nice guy with no airs or pretension about him despite his media profile.

So - in summary - Pat gets an unhesitant and full hearted AYE from me - very good pundit and happy to have him aboard as a fellow Hibee