hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edusport

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

Edusport

What’s everyones thoughts on this? Can’t see it working myself.

https://t.co/iDukkok20h

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Good luck to them

Cool idea. Will need a lot of luck to work though.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Just what Scottish football needs... another professional club.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    A club with no fans, I though that was Hamilton Accies unique selling point?

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just what Scottish football needs... another professional club.

Why is having another professional club a bad thing?

Surely creating employment is a good thing?

Hope it fails miserably. Lot of pish

Hope it goes well

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Might pay the £30. Would be interesting to have a (very small) say in the running of a football club.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    That’s the spirit!

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    A total pipe dream, who is likely to pay the £25 or care about the club? They are based in Annan, basically a village that already has a senior club (that play in front of >500 crowds). Pointless.
    Though it has been proven that with a bit of modest investment it is possible to rise through the Scottish league system quite easily I.e Gretna & Rangers2012, however for a ‘manufactured club’ to succeed it has to be to the detriment of an established club with a history and fanbase, for this reason alone I’m out!

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post

Football by subscription? Loady pish.

This wont work due to FAN base they dont have one ! we play in the same league as them i think at there home matches I have not saw any supporters TBH

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post

I’d be amazed if this led to a net gain in employment.

Scotland already has a large number of football clubs, one of the highest concentrations in the world. If these guys are successful it will probably be at the expense of others.

I think there will be an initially decent take up of this because of the novelty factor. Are they going to be playing Premiership football in 7 years? I seriously doubt it.

My guess is that this is about raising money to make them more competitive at their level on the pyramid. They are currently 11th in a 16 team league, 27 points behind leaders East Kilbride.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    The Ebbsfleet model ultimately failed. I don’t see how this will be any different.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    What I think is that they have the 5hittiest name of a football club I've ever seen.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    A total pipe dream, who is likely to pay the £25 or care about the club? They are based in Annan, basically a village that already has a senior club (that play in front of >500 crowds). Pointless.
    Though it has been proven that with a bit of modest investment it is possible to rise through the Scottish league system quite easily I.e Gretna & Rangers2012, however for a ‘manufactured club’ to succeed it has to be to the detriment of an established club with a history and fanbase, for this reason alone I’m out!
    They’re only playing at Annan temporarily as necessity but will be announcing a ground closer to their base in Glasgow within a year.

In any case, the model is based on tapping into the younger market and rapidly growing internet community where century old prejudices about how football “should be” are significantly less likely to exist. The rise of online communities have shown that (whether you agree or not) it is no longer deemed necessary live physically near the stadium to be a fan. People can live on the opposite side of the world and in some cases never even go to a game in their lives and still be considered die hards these days. This is an era where over 45 million people tuned in to watch a video game competition with over 45k actually in attendance.

There is huge potential in a project like this but imo will fail mainly due to the fact that Scottish Football is already too well established and as a whole we generally don’t like change. There’s also the barrier of the typical British attitude that we don’t like ‘new success’ if it’s not deemed to be earned in a certain way. Take Gretna for example, everyone loved the fairytale story until they reached the SPL and suddenly they were everything wrong with football etc.

If this project took off in China, where football is starting to make big strides within society and is relatively new in that culture context it would have a real chance of succeeding but there’s absolutely no chance that the people of Scotland will give it a chance.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    The Ebbsfleet model ultimately failed. I don’t see how this will be any different.
    The Ebbsfleet model was 10 years ago where the power of the internet was significantly weaker than it is now. Also the Ebbsfleet model simply had the end goal of buying a club with no real plan for what to do nexy to it was effectively was a perfect success because all they ever aimed to achieve was to buy a club, which they did.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    They’re only playing at Annan temporarily as necessity but will be announcing a ground closer to their base in Glasgow within a year.

In any case, the model is based on tapping into the younger market and rapidly growing internet community where century old prejudices about how football “should be” are significantly less likely to exist. The rise of online communities have shown that (whether you agree or not) it is no longer deemed necessary live physically near the stadium to be a fan. People can live on the opposite side of the world and in some cases never even go to a game in their lives and still be considered die hards these days. This is an era where over 45 million people tuned in to watch a video game competition with over 45k actually in attendance.

There is huge potential in a project like this but imo will fail mainly due to the fact that Scottish Football is already too well established and as a whole we generally don’t like change. There’s also the barrier of the typical British attitude that we don’t like ‘new success’ if it’s not deemed to be earned in a certain way. Take Gretna for example, everyone loved the fairytale story until they reached the SPL and suddenly they were everything wrong with football etc.

If this project took off in China, where football is starting to make big strides within society and is relatively new in that culture context it would have a real chance of succeeding but there’s absolutely no chance that the people of Scotland will give it a chance.
    Thanks for the background, interesting stuff. Good luck to them.

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post

That is the problem lots of clubs have a history but no fan base crowds of less than 300 can turn up.
    You can get more than that at a good quality national school final

Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    Seconded.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Fair play to them for trying something differet, would feel better if there was more of a social reason behind it - i.e. it was committed to developing local talent (within x miles of the stadium), training and developing coaches, grass roots football and so on.

I could see people buying into that to a degree, less likely to see people buying into just another club though. Why would they?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Fair play to them for trying something differet, would feel better if there was more of a social reason behind it - i.e. it was committed to developing local talent (within x miles of the stadium), training and developing coaches, grass roots football and so on.

I could see people buying into that to a degree, less likely to see people buying into just another club though. Why would they?
    The problem in only developing talent from a local area would be that you might only get people from that area joining up. Personally I think they should’ve approached a more established team, someone like Livingston would’ve been a better idea.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries

Money from memberships is donated back into grassroots schemes and also back into the Edusport academy

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar

Sorry didn’t understand most of that. Think the problem is with me rather than your reply

Their team is made up of French speaking students that come over and they teach them English as well as being in the team. Quite a nice idea I think but they'll never be a premiership club

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    Their team is made up of French speaking students that come over and they teach them English as well as being in the team. Quite a nice idea I think but they'll never be a premiership club
    This isn’t right Dav. The academy itself will continue to run in that model but the football club will be separate and will make signings of any nationality and background, the same as any other club.

I agree they’ll probably never make the Premiership though

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Money from memberships is donated back into grassroots schemes and also back into the Edusport academy
    Thanks, I had only skimmed over the article so hadn't picked that up. Also, I agree with your point about local talent - I was more using it as an example to explain my post but you're right.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    First home fixture of the 2025-26 season: Hibernian v Edusport.

Eh, naw.