hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

Favourite game that Hibs lost?

What was your favourite game that Hibs lost? It's easy to say favourite games that we won or even nicked a last minute draw (the Tynie 2-2 game) but are there any games that we lost that you took enjoyment from?

The 2013 Scottish Cup Final stands out for me - pumped by a superior Celtic side, feeling really sorry for ourselves after HT and for some reason when their third goal went in our entire end outsung the Celtic end. Even in disappointment we showed why our club is special that day. Leigh's last game with us, the "We'll support you evermore" booming out from our end - it might have been more heartache heading home from Hampden but it was a real pick me up to hear us drown out YNWA and be the loudest.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

3-4 against rangers at Easter road 1997, Hibs played really well but Gaza and George Albertz were on a different planet.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3-4 against rangers at Easter road 1997, Hibs played really well but Gaza and George Albertz were on a different planet.
    That’s the game that stands out for me as well. Gascoigne bossed the second half after we looked on easy street hitherto. No complaints though, was an incredible game to witness.
    Sadly though it precipitated a slump in form that led to relegation - massive game in the big picture overall.

That was the one I thought of as soon as I saw the thread title.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Gazza did his usual elbows everywhere in that game, elbowed our defender and got a free kick which he scored from, ref gave us nothing but Hibs only had themselves to blame for not winning that, Jimmy Boco should have made it 4-1 when he went clear but decided to pass to no one

Blog Entries
    That was the game where the referee, Bobby Tait, started the move for old Rangers 2nd goal. Tait now gives talks to Orange lodges & boasts that he never awarded a penalty against old Rangers.

Hibs - Rangers, end of January 1993. 3-4 to them.
    It was my first Hibs game. I wasn't fussed on football at all and rarely watched it even on tv. A friend of mine from Uni got me a ticket for my 18th birthday. It was a game which swung and was end-to-end and I was hooked. I got my first ST in 94 and a seven goal thriller, even though we lost, was a great intro. I loved the crowd too!

Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post
    Hibs - Rangers, end of January 1993. 3-4 to them.
    It was my first Hibs game. I wasn't fussed on football at all and rarely watched it even on tv. A friend of mine from Uni got me a ticket for my 18th birthday. It was a game which swung and was end-to-end and I was hooked. I got my first ST in 94 and a seven goal thriller, even though we lost, was a great intro. I loved the crowd too!
    Yep, as an 11 year old, I remember this goal fest and enjoying it too.

Brondby away, enjoyed the game, great away support and played well.

The Brondby game. Even though we lost overall we put up a spirited performance after the prediction was we would be totally humiliated. Great trip and come away from the stadium with a sense of pride even in defeat.

Daft thread really, there is no such thing as an "enjoyable" defeat IMO!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Milne View Post
    Daft thread really, there is no such thing as an "enjoyable" defeat IMO!
    Except the Dundee Utd match in 86. The Hibs fans even ironically cheered Utd's winner.

First Team Regular
    Is that when Boco missed a 1 on 1 just after half time when we led 3-1 at the time? Albertz scored from about 40 yards to win it did he not?

I think what the thread suggests is that fans don't ever really go away from a defeat 'happy' as such but perhaps it is possible to come away with a sense of defiant or renewed pride in the team/club. In which case, I left ER following defeat to Rangers (and to a lesser extent Aberdeen) a few months back thinking 'fair enough, we've been beaten, but it was not for the want of trying and we have a team that both gives everything and is bloody good to watch. Given where we've come from, I'll take that'.

Did Albertz come off the bench second half in that game ?

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-hoofbaw View Post
    Did Albertz come off the bench second half in that game ?
    Nah, he definitely started https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfke1BSg4u4

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    That match led ultimately to our relegation IMO. Duffy had us on a good run and we were at or near the top of the league. We had a huge squad of largely mediocre players however and it was always fragile. That loss seemed to knock the stuffing out the team and we hardly kicked a ball after that.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 09-02-2018 at 07:46 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    That match led ultimately to our relegation IMO. Duffy had us on a good run and we were at or near the top pf the league. We had a huge squad of largeley mediocre players however and it was always fragile. That loss seemed to knock the stufing out the team and we hardly kicked a ball after that.
    Very true. That game was in October and we only won 3 more times that season and 2 were under McLeish.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Sound . Should really have known that as I was at the game and remember the goals well.

I don't believe in liking any game we've lost particularly ones we should have won so I'm choosing a draw. 6-6 a friendly against Middlesborough with hat tricks for Baker and Clough and a great Middlesborough free kick routine where 3 players made dummy runs and the 4th.Willie Fernie,faced with a wall slightly askew hit the bar .

@hibs.net private member
    That was the one that immediately jumped to mind for me too - I broke a watch that day in the pandemonium in the East after one of our goals.

Leeds United with Bremner, Charlton, Gray, Lorimer et al - back in 68 - we drew 1-1, but lost on aggregate because of Wilson's infringement of the 4-step rule resulting in a free kick that gave lanky Charlton the chance to score a last minute equaliser - was a draw, but felt like a defeat and we had played so well against the mighty Leeds ...
    Last edited by PeeJay; 09-02-2018 at 09:29 AM.

First Team Regular
    I’ll go with Leeds game in 73 . Fantastic performance against a class side .

3-0 game also stands out for me. Can't say there's many (if any) that I've enjoyed to be honest. If we're counting Brondby then certainly that one, what a trip that was and fans were immense in the stadium. Although we technically won that game, does it count?

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

I found the back slapping post the 2013 final a bit cringeworthy if I’m honest. The spontaneous outbreak of song at the time was great but all the self congratulation afterwards started to annoy me. It was almost like it became a celebration of a mediocre performance and pumping just because it was slightly less of a pumping than the year before.

I wouldn’t say I’ve ever really enjoyed watching Hibs lose a game but there have been plenty times I have appreciated I have seen a decent game of football. The 4-2 semi final v Celtic earlier this year is probably the most recent example. There was a game under Sauzee at ER v Aberdeen which was a really good game, sure we lost either 4-3 or 3-2 to a controversial last minute penalty that was missed and the rebound scored. De La Cruz was exceptional going forward and exceptionally awful defensively. The Rangers game previous mentioned is another good example although it was the start of a downward spiral for us that season so it’s hard to remember it with any ‘fondndess’.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I found the back slapping post the 2013 final a bit cringeworthy if I’m honest. The spontaneous outbreak of song at the time was great but all the self congratulation afterwards started to annoy me. It was almost like it became a celebration of a mediocre performance and pumping just because it was slightly less of a pumping than the year before.

I wouldn’t say I’ve ever really enjoyed watching Hibs lose a game but there have been plenty times I have appreciated I have seen a decent game of football. The 4-2 semi final v Celtic earlier this year is probably the most recent example. There was a game under Sauzee at ER v Aberdeen which was a really good game, sure we lost either 4-3 or 3-2 to a controversial last minute penalty that was missed and the rebound scored. De La Cruz was exceptional going forward and exceptionally awful defensively. The Rangers game previous mentioned is another good example although it was the start of a downward spiral for us that season so it’s hard to remember it with any ‘fondndess’.
    Strange, I never saw or was part of any post match back slapping. That game reminded me of the 1985 (?) League Cup final shearing by the Sheep. We were never really in the game and beaten by a far superior side, but the fans showed that it's not all about the winning. It was defiance in the face of mediocrity, we wouldn't be there if it was all about the glory (nice although it is).

Leeds Utd, 1974. We hammered the soon to be English champions and still lost, on penalties. Still etched on my 10 year old memory. That was a glorius defeat if ever there was one, despite what Lorimer later claimed.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 07-02-2018 at 08:31 PM.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Strange, I never saw or was part of any post match back slapping. That game reminded me of the 1985 (?) League Cup final shearing by the Sheep. We were never really in the game and beaten by a far superior side, but the fans showed that it's not all about the winning. It was defiance in the face of mediocrity, we wouldn't be there if it was all about the glory (nice although it is).

Leeds Utd, 1974. We hammered the soon to be English champions and still lost, on penalties. Still etched on my 8 year old memory. That was a glorius defeat if ever there was one, despite what Lorimer later claimed.
    I'd go with the Leeds game as well. Was there and remember leaving the ground wondering how we didn't win.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post

Leeds Utd, 1974. We hammered the soon to be English champions and still lost, on penalties. Still etched on my 10 year old memory. That was a glorius defeat if ever there was one, despite what Lorimer later claimed.
    Yes was thinking about that Aberdeen game aswell round about 1985.
    My older Brother came on the bus with us a big Celtic man,he was blown away with the Hibs support that day after we were well beat and still talks about it now.
    It's not all about winning! just shows what the Hibs means to so many!!

Agree about 2013,
    Does AEK Athens count we won but we lost.
    The other must be Ibrox semi final we lost 1 - 0 to a Cooper cracker of a free kick but won 2 -1 on aggregate

Agreed.