hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by murray26 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is calling Sevco fans “Huns” sectarian..? I’ve never thought so.. it sounds more like a justification from them to continue there bigoted bile.. surely nobody’s buying into this nonsense..
    I have never heard anyone other than Rangers fans called huns.

As a Protestant myself, I have never been called a hun in my life. It would actually be quite interesting if I was to be arrested and charged with a religious hate crime for using the word hun at a Rangers game (I use the word freely during games against them). How would the court deal with me effectively being accused of a hate crime against my own faith?

The word hun is used exclusively for fans of Rangers and no-one else. Don't let them pretend otherwise.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Do the Feyenoord fans still hiss in unison to recreat the gas chamber when they play Ajax, the 'Jewish' club in The Netherlands?
    This for me has to be worse than any chant or banner that, Chelsea, Lazio, Rangers or any other filth support can come up with.

'hun' isn't sectarian, it only refers to the fact that the royal family are mainly of German origin.

Quote Originally Posted by murray26 View Post
    Is calling Sevco fans “Huns” sectarian..? I’ve never thought so.. it sounds more like a justification from them to continue there bigoted bile.. surely nobody’s buying into this nonsense..
    I saw this online as possible suggestion to it's origins. Although it wasn't sourced so can't be verified:

First used by in the judicial deliberation laid down following the infamous rioting of Ranger fans in 1972 after their cup winner cup victory. The judge is known to have said that the fans displayed hun like behaviour (i.e. rioting charging looting not disimilar from Atilla the Hun). The rioting was abhored by the Rangers F.C manager who said “It is to these tikes, hooligans, louts and drunkards that I pinpoint my message – it is because of your gutter-rat behaviour that we Rangers FC are being publicly tarred and feathered . . . ”

Dont see any posts on the rangers forums questioning these

http://rangersfcitsawayoflife.bigcar...-pre-order-now

Anyway why be confused wether using the word hun is sectarian, when we can use sevco and really annoy them!!

Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    Do the Feyenoord fans still hiss in unison to recreat the gas chamber when they play Ajax, the 'Jewish' club in The Netherlands?
    This for me has to be worse than any chant or banner that, Chelsea, Lazio, Rangers or any other filth support can come up with.
    I think this might be what's being referred to here;

Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    Chelsea and West Ham are the worst for this when they play Spurs. The worst one isn't even a "chant" and it's been going on for years and nothing has really been done about it [yet].
    Although I wasn't aware that West Ham do it.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    I think this might be what's being referred to here;

Although I wasn't aware that West Ham do it.
    My Spurs friend who is season ticket holder maintains that it's West Ham as well as Chelsea. Only his word for it mind..

The 'Hun' thing is merely a diversionary tactic by Rangers Fans. It's merely used as an excuse to deflect away from their own bigotry.

People in Scotland use the word 'Hun' to refer to rangers fans, not Protestants. Most Hibbies I know are from Protestant backgrounds, so ro accuse them of sectarianism against themselves is a bit stupid.

If we ever take guidance from Norn Iron as to what's right and what's wrong, then god help us all!

Quote Originally Posted by Aim Here View Post
    That's the sensible reason for deciding that 'hun' is sectarian; though I've never heard it used in Scotland that way. Is the Irish usage as a slur a new thing?

I've also seen complaints about the modified terms 'Diet huns' or 'Huns without the bus fare'. The argument is that because the modified terms refer to fans of teams other than Rangers, it must be because they're protestant (and not because they're aping the bigotry of a large chunk of the Rangers support or copying the worst parts of the Rangers songbook), and is therefore a sectarian slur. Either that or they think that singing ***** like 'The Billy Boys' is inherently part of protestantness and therefore criticizing it is bigotry. It's a pretty thin argument either way.
    Billy boys song about a leader of a razor gang who were openly anti Catholic. Later in life Billy joined Oswald Moseleys fascists and started a KKK branch in Glasgow.

Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    First time I heard of this, what a horrible thing to do.

My Spurs friend who is season ticket holder maintains that it's West Ham as well as Chelsea. Only his word for it mind..
    He isn't wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    First time I heard of this, what a horrible thing to do.

As already mentioned in the thread, it doesn't just happen in Holland. It's also been known to happen down south.

Not saying he is wrong, was just unaware that it was something that West Ham also do.

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    The 'Hun' thing is merely a diversionary tactic by Rangers Fans. It's merely used as an excuse to deflect away from their own bigotry.

People in Scotland use the word 'Hun' to refer to rangers fans, not Protestants. Most Hibbies I know are from Protestant backgrounds, so ro accuse them of sectarianism against themselves is a bit stupid.

If we ever take guidance from Norn Iron as to what's right and what's wrong, then god help us all!
    Spot on.
    Lorenzo Amoruso was a big Hun lol would love to drop that one in Follow Follow, much confusion :)

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post

Exactly how I've always viewed it .... I've been using Hun from my very first Rangers game in the 70s and never heard any suggestion, not even from the Huns themselves, that the term was sectarian. I certainly never intended it to be when I used it then and still don't now ... its for Sevco fans only, not protestants.

Its the old chicken and egg scenario ..... Does a term that wasn't sectarian ( and never intended to be ) become sectarian because you use it as a derogatory term against a set of people who are themselves a bunch of vile bigots. I have never heard the term used to describe a protestant or people of the protestant faith EVER in Scotland. If we started calling the The Rangers fans pineapples would that make that a sectarian anti protestant word as well?

Ridiculous ...... Huns they are and Huns they will remain .... Huns, Huns, Huns, Huns, Huns, Huns, Huns, Huns ..... hell, I could type that sixteen hundred and ninety times

Did you see that The Masons are lodging a complaint against discrimination?

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Did you see that The Masons are lodging a complaint against discrimination?
    You mean... They've issued a statement?

Sounds familiar can't think why mind.....

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk