hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

Hamilton Accies scam

It’s more than I originally thought! Almost a million taken out of their bank

https://stv.tv/news/west-central/140...after-1m-scam/

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Weren't hearts hit by this too?

Sadly for not as much

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Sadly for not as much
    They were, and someone has been charged
    Don’t know if it’s the same type of scam though?

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    They were, and someone has been charged
    Don’t know if it’s the same type of scam though?
    Don’t think anyone has been charged for the Malary Martin scam though 😀

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Heard Costa Coffee on George Street have profiteered through the Malaury Martin scam too. He's been seen there sitting with associates drinking expensive lattes on most match-days. Spent a fortune there allegedly.

mon the cabbage!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I heard that an apparent 16-year old with a laptop and a former Scotland manager were 'helping the police with their enquiries'.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar

Sadly for not as much
    Would'nt matter, the anonymous donor would pony-up.

Sadly for not as much
    Knowing Hearts it was prob them who stole Hamilton’s cash to fund Naismiths transfer!! 😁

One of those times I'm glad we have Rod in charge of our money, he wouldn't have allowed that to happen to us. Rod would probably would have gotten 1 million out of them first.....

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Knowing Hearts it was prob them who stole Hamilton’s cash to fund Naismiths transfer!! 😁
    “Watson!! The game is afoot”.👏😝

I'm amazed Hamilton had a million quid to nick in the first place.

I cant believe one employee had the power to transfer such a huge sum of money without a number of checks and balances being in place at the club to stop it happening. I cant help thinking a judge will be of the same opinion.

They are right that banks have a duty of care to help prevent fraud ... but as far as I'm aware there has yet to be invented an anti malware or anti virus programme that protects a business against gullibility or outright stupidity.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 06-02-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    The bank contacted the club twice to question the payments but were told to go ahead but somehow he’s trying to say it’s still the banks fault, not sure they’ll win that one!

I could be wrong,often are ,but have there not been many rumours ,over many years, that Hamilton Accies are,shall we say, Fiscally "unusual"

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hhibs View Post
    I could be wrong,often are ,but have there not been many rumours ,over many years, that Hamilton Accies are,shall we say, Fiscally "unusual"
    Yup. Rumours on here of brown envelopes, gangsters etc when this scam first came up. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was an inside job somewhere along the line.

Would love to know more about the apparent gangster link... have read elsewhere that all of their youth players are represented by a well known west coast face but I’ve no idea who?
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 06-02-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Yup. Rumours on here of brown envelopes, gangsters etc when this scam first came up. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was an inside job somewhere along the line.

Would love to know more about the apparent gangster link... have read elsewhere that all of their youth players are represented by a well known west coast face but I’ve no idea who?
    Joe 'bananas' hamilton

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snedzuk View Post
    Joe 'bananas' hamilton
    Hanlon?

He's long deid.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar

Barry Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Barry Hughes
    Is he not Stokes agent as well?

Yes - certainly has and before this scam.

First Team Regular HIBEES 4 LIFE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee View Post
    The bank contacted the club twice to question the payments but were told to go ahead but somehow he’s trying to say it’s still the banks fault, not sure they’ll win that one!
    Correct, the payments were authorised by a accountable member of staff from the club. Who would have had to pass security. Feel sorry for them but this is a last ditch attempt to save their club. If it was the banks fault then they would want the £800k back. They'll not be winning this battle

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee View Post
    Beggars belief actually. Someone purporting to be the bank told him to make the transfers and then when the bank phones to check the transactions it doesn't twig. It's crap when it happens to old people and it's a shame for the guy, but really!

Did they make a million by selling grass ?

Derek Ferguson was very involved behind the scenes at Hamilton apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    It’s more than I originally thought! Almost a million taken out of their bank

https://stv.tv/news/west-central/140...after-1m-scam/
    My grandfather used to say "a fool and their money are easily parted". Sadly for Accies, that has never looked so true.

Banks take enough abuse, I think it’s time that individuals and businesses consider their own responsibility for being financially prudent.

RBS checked twice that the transaction was genuine and confirmed that it was to proceed.

Who from Hamilton is transferring the clubs whole life savings without more stringent checks by the club?! Mental!!

Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    Banks take enough abuse, I think it’s time that individuals and businesses consider their own responsibility for being financially prudent.

RBS checked twice that the transaction was genuine and confirmed that it was to proceed.

Who from Hamilton is transferring the clubs whole life savings without more stringent checks by the club?! Mental!!
    This 100%, the bank warned Hamilton twice, and twice were told all was ok. Someone at Hamilton has to man up and admit they fell for a scam despite being warned on two separate occasions, they are a business and the bank can’t hold their hand every minute of the day. An employee fell for a scam, it’s their fault, and I think they will be laughed out of court! Basically the whole item was simply confirming that they behaved like mugs and now want someone to bail them out, not often I would say this, but I think the bank are entirely justified in saying GTF !!

SPFL will dock them points for financial mismanagement

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    This 100%, the bank warned Hamilton twice, and twice were told all was ok. Someone at Hamilton has to man up and admit they fell for a scam despite being warned on two separate occasions, they are a business and the bank can’t hold their hand every minute of the day. An employee fell for a scam, it’s their fault, and I think they will be laughed out of court! Basically the whole item was simply confirming that they behaved like mugs and now want someone to bail them out, not often I would say this, but I think the bank are entirely justified in saying GTF !!
    The bank should have queried it a bit further IMO. They queried it with the same person. I think they should have been asking the question of someone else at the club after the second time. The amounts were unusual activity. What if the person saying it was ok was embezzling the funds? It might be bank protocol but it needs tightened up too. Hamilton however don’t have a leg to stand on

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post

There were 10 unusual transactions of equal big amounts in a 24hr period. Alarm bells should have been sounded at the bank even after being told twice everything was ok. The clubs funds were withdrawn in that time. I have some sympathy. Hamilton’s fault 100% but the bank needs to tighten up too.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    There were 10 unusual transactions of equal big amounts in a 24hr period. Alarm bells should have been sounded at the bank even after being told twice everything was ok. The clubs funds were withdrawn in that time. I have some sympathy. Hamilton’s fault 100% but the bank needs to tighten up too.
    The bank said that they'd contacted Hamilton several times before the incident to recommend tightening up their security arrangements - presumably they thought that a single person with that level of authority was a risk too. If Hamilton ignored that and left the bank with a single contact to verify transactions then that's their failing too.