hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speling

First Team Breakthrough Fisherrow Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Correct. Also my daughters uni gave her free software, and those tinted lenses also help to sort out that 'letter jumble' effect dyslexics often report.
    Yup i get that at uni also. The level of support i get there (had to watch myself on that one 😉) is fantastic and a world away from my schooling in the late 70's and 80's.
    Last edited by Fisherrow Harp; 06-02-2018 at 01:45 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    I thought this was the start of a **** valentine card thread.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Ok to be fair to the OP, he was picking people up on not being able to spell Leeann's name correctly. Spelling fairly unusual names has very little to do with being good at spelling, especially in the modern age when people seem to enjoy making up stupid ways to spell existing names. My wife is a teacher and in the last couple of years, at her school there have been people named Sharrun, Derik, Symon, Salli, Steevie, Kirstee. None of these children were from ethnic backgrounds that might make you think that it is a normal spelling of a name from another country. You see to me that's just parents being stupid and intentionally miss-spelling a common name, because they think it's trendy to do so. Leeann I would be tempted to put in the same category, but at the end of the day, I'm not the name police, so I won't.

To add to that you have a huge number of common names that have different spellings, and as a previous poster pointed out, Scott Allan is an excellent example of this. Then we have the issue of foreign names which generally nobody living in Scotland would be able to spell without checking and the various Mc and Mac surnames that can be confusing and it all goes to prove that spelling a persons name correctly is very little to do with being a good speller or whether you are dyslexic or not..it's down to whether you give the person the courtesy of checking the spelling of their name before writing about them. It always used to annoy me when English papers talked about Kenny Dalgliesh...it always struck me that they wouldn't have written about Kevin Keagan, because they would take more care.

All in all then, I guess what I'm saying is, that it's nice to take the time and effort to check how someone spells their name, because it's good manners. It has nothing to do with being good at spelling or being dyslexic, it's just common courtesy. Does it really matter...no I guess it doesn't, but it would look pretty stupid if we had a huge banner made for the next Derby that said...

Neil Lenin's Green & White Army

You see my point ?
    Celtc fans didn't seem to mind.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Ok to be fair to the OP, he was picking people up on not being able to spell Leeann's name correctly. Spelling fairly unusual names has very little to do with being good at spelling, especially in the modern age when people seem to enjoy making up stupid ways to spell existing names. My wife is a teacher and in the last couple of years, at her school there have been people named Sharrun, Derik, Symon, Salli, Steevie, Kirstee. None of these children were from ethnic backgrounds that might make you think that it is a normal spelling of a name from another country. You see to me that's just parents being stupid and intentionally miss-spelling a common name, because they think it's trendy to do so. Leeann I would be tempted to put in the same category, but at the end of the day, I'm not the name police, so I won't.

To add to that you have a huge number of common names that have different spellings, and as a previous poster pointed out, Scott Allan is an excellent example of this. Then we have the issue of foreign names which generally nobody living in Scotland would be able to spell without checking and the various Mc and Mac surnames that can be confusing and it all goes to prove that spelling a persons name correctly is very little to do with being a good speller or whether you are dyslexic or not..it's down to whether you give the person the courtesy of checking the spelling of their name before writing about them. It always used to annoy me when English papers talked about Kenny Dalgliesh...it always struck me that they wouldn't have written about Kevin Keagan, because they would take more care.

All in all then, I guess what I'm saying is, that it's nice to take the time and effort to check how someone spells their name, because it's good manners. It has nothing to do with being good at spelling or being dyslexic, it's just common courtesy. Does it really matter...no I guess it doesn't, but it would look pretty stupid if we had a huge banner made for the next Derby that said...

You see my point ?
    Yes, and agree with every word (except the one you've intentionally misspelled, obvs.)

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    As long as the first and last letters of a word are in the right place, it doesn't really matter about the order of the rest of the letters. Your brain just works it out.
    Indeed but but but you wouldn't want to read a whole book written that way, would you? Or a long newspaper article. Or even a short newspaper article. Or a long forum post. Or a short forum post. Or anything, really?

I read the ninth word of your variant, on its own, as "razorblade". Exactly what I'll be reaching for if there's much more misspelling of Leeann's name.

More to the point why are folk spelling names wrong? Some spellings or relatively common names is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    More to the point why are folk spelling names wrong? Some spellings or relatively common names is hilarious.
    I think checking the correct spelling of our own players and management is kind of a sensible and respectful thing to do while finding amusing and rude ways of spelling Hearts players or management is also a sensible but thoroughly disrespectful thing to do 😁

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    Scott Alen
    Scott Allen
    Scott Allan
    Scott Alan

Take your pick
    Michael Miles - do I win a prize?

The whole misuse of reflexive personal pronouns 'myself, yourself' is the thing that nips my heid the most, far more than people spelling things wrong. You get it a lot in bank letters, customer relations department emails. Just say 'me' or 'you'

https://www.ft.com/content/4b5020e2-...7-42f857ea9f09

@hibs.net private member
    This site is littered with bad spelling.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Riorden , The guy was an absolute god FFS get his name right !!

RIORDAN

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

You see my point ?

My surname is relatively unusual and people often assume one spelling which is incorrect rather than the actual spelling, and in fairness I can't blame them, it would be an obvious, if false, assumption. I've had to put up with it as long as I can remember and it doesn't bother me too much.

What it has done though has made me absolutely obsessive and compulsive about spelling other people's names right but also getting the pronunciation right. And I agree, it's just good manners.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars