hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speling

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    L E E A N N

It's really not that hard.
    I thought this was the start of a **** valentine card thread.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    Like I said it’s a rare thing to happen on here for me. But it has happened. As for players names. I thank google, I have to google most of our non uk players to get the correct spelling of their names haha
    Like most of us, I guess. Though that's not 100% reliable. It spells the Showumni brothers' surnames differently! #disgrace #wtf?

Left by mutual consent!
    To/Too and once I even seen 'Two' used !

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    I do, but there're's too ugly.
    Don't mean to criticise but my very intelligent niece is studying Sports Science at Uni and seems to find it difficult to spell correctly or use proper grammar. What is being taught in schools these days?

Irony or am I just too simple?

OP confused between Speling and Spelling?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Milne View Post
    Don't mean to criticise but my very intelligent niece is studying Sports Science at Uni and seems to find it difficult to spell correctly or use proper grammar. What is being taught in schools these days?
    Don't think grammar's been formally taught in Edinburgh's state schools since the 1960s. My wee brother had to pick it up himself.

😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Irony or am I just too simple?

OP confused between Speling and Spelling?
    I can't change it now. An admin prick could.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Shan thread.
    Let's all mock the poor sods who can't spell or were not fortunate to get as good an education as others.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Correct. Also my daughters uni gave her free software, and those tinted lenses also help to sort out that 'letter jumble' effect dyslexics often report.
    We provide that at work as well delighted to say it has made a difference to people

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyStokeprano View Post
    Nothing worse than folk that want to go around slagging people for not being able to spell correctly, or correcting folks words when its so obvious what they actually meant anyway. I think most folk that do this probably had a hard childhood and wasnt very popular as a youth, now trying to make themselves feel better in life by going around laughing at folks spelling, ****ing sad losers. Get a a grip of yourselfs, pathetic
    Nothing worse?

There's nothing better than a sweeping generalisation which belittles and insults a large group of people whom one has never met and of whom nothing is known. Good work.

Now, is anyone able to give me a sweeping personality profile of someone who says "would of" instead of "would have"? Cheers.

Garry OConner 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Shan thread.
    Let's all mock the poor sods who can't spell or were not fortunate to get as good an education as others.
    I don't think anybody is mocking. It's only people expressing their frustration with people who can spell but pick the wrong option when translating their speech into written correspondence. I've seen posts where the author has used there, their and they're but each in the wrong context. They CAN spell these words but lazily misuse them.

Left by mutual consent!
    I don't think anybody is mocking. It's only people expressing their frustration with people who can spell but pick the wrong option when translating their speech into written correspondence. I've seen posts where the author has used there, their and they're but each in the wrong context. They CAN spell these words but lazily misuse them.
    I might not use correct tense or grammar and I do not care if others do or not. If I understand what they mean then for me that's fine. I use my phone a lot on here and it may change a word and I might not notice. If that's a problem for folk then tough.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Bad spellers of the world untie.

Pronouncing my surname seems more difficult for some than spelling it.
    Took me a few years to get the hang of it
    ohrook or ahrook was not uncommon.
    Although,when i was younger it very much was an uncommon surname in Edinburgh,if not Scotland.

Thousands in New York and Boston though !

This guy knew how to deal with an alternative to his given name,though.

Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    I might not use correct tense or grammar and I do not care if others do or not. If I understand what they mean then for me that's fine. I use my phone a lot on here and it may change a word and I might not notice. If that's a problem for folk then tough.
    I totally agree with you. If the meaning is clear who cares about the spelling. However, sometimes grammar is important as a missing comma, colon, or full stop can completely change the meaning of a sentence. You then have to infer the meaning, risking jumping to the wrong conclusion and causing offence with an incorrect response. I also agree that replying from a phone can be a hassle if you don't notice misspelling or autocorrect incorrectly corrects what it assumes is an error.

Really whooo Cares so looong as it is readable and it makes some sense

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Rlealy who craes so lnog as it is radeblae and it maeks smoe snese

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    It worries me that I was able to read that with no problems

As long as the first and last letters of a word are in the right place, it doesn't really matter about the order of the rest of the letters. Your brain just works it out.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    This is a very interesting point about how humans interpret the written word, as long as the first and last letter is correct it doesn't matter what order the other letters are in, it proves that we interpret whole words and not the individual letters to make a word. The brain is a wonderfully weird thing, especially the relationship between the brain and the eyes.

On the point of spelling, I was in remedial classes for English throughout school, I couldn't spell or write very well. It was only after I left school and started to read books and do crosswords that my spelling improved. My writing is still a scrawl though. I understand where people annoyed with careless spelling are coming from, but having been on the end of 11 years of being told I was stupid because of the way I spelt words I have complete empathy with those who find spelling difficult. You cannot tell if the person who is making the mistakes has issues with spelling so the best thing to do is leave it. If you understand what is written then whats the need to highlight the error?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Stoopid thred.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Stoopid thred.
    Don't loose intrest.......

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Ok to be fair to the OP, he was picking people up on not being able to spell Leeann's name correctly. Spelling fairly unusual names has very little to do with being good at spelling, especially in the modern age when people seem to enjoy making up stupid ways to spell existing names. My wife is a teacher and in the last couple of years, at her school there have been people named Sharrun, Derik, Symon, Salli, Steevie, Kirstee. None of these children were from ethnic backgrounds that might make you think that it is a normal spelling of a name from another country. You see to me that's just parents being stupid and intentionally miss-spelling a common name, because they think it's trendy to do so. Leeann I would be tempted to put in the same category, but at the end of the day, I'm not the name police, so I won't.

To add to that you have a huge number of common names that have different spellings, and as a previous poster pointed out, Scott Allan is an excellent example of this. Then we have the issue of foreign names which generally nobody living in Scotland would be able to spell without checking and the various Mc and Mac surnames that can be confusing and it all goes to prove that spelling a persons name correctly is very little to do with being a good speller or whether you are dyslexic or not..it's down to whether you give the person the courtesy of checking the spelling of their name before writing about them. It always used to annoy me when English papers talked about Kenny Dalgliesh...it always struck me that they wouldn't have written about Kevin Keagan, because they would take more care.

All in all then, I guess what I'm saying is, that it's nice to take the time and effort to check how someone spells their name, because it's good manners. It has nothing to do with being good at spelling or being dyslexic, it's just common courtesy. Does it really matter...no I guess it doesn't, but it would look pretty stupid if we had a huge banner made for the next Derby that said...

Neil Lenin's Green & White Army

You see my point ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    As long as the first and last letters of a word are in the right place, it doesn't really matter about the order of the rest of the letters. Your brain just works it out.
    It’s called Gestalt psychology, I believe.

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    Bad spellers of the world untie.
    Yes, it's either uncle or auntie.

Unless there's some sort of gender identity involved, in which case you could be an ankle or an untie?

@hibs.net private member
    I have dyslexia, I proof read everything I write before I post it but sometimes things slip through. When it gets pointed out I try and make a joke of it but it does sometimes make me feel like I’m an idiot. It’s not because I don’t ‘take extra care’ it’s because I can’t see the error I have made. To me it looks normal. Which is more embarrassing when it is pointed out.

Pretty certain this is not about me but I’m just trying to give an idea as to how these things might happen and effect others have when you deem it appropriate to slag them. I however can count on one hand how many times this has happened to me on .net and I’ve been a member since I was a teenager.
    You should 100% not worry about it. I never really spell check my stuff on here or grammar and I don't get why someone would bother pointing it out.

If I'm at work and writing a report for my boss then of course I'd take a different tack but this is a football forum - grammar, spelling etc is totally irrelevant and I don't understand folk making a thing of it (not having a go at the OP doing it in jest but some people online get upset about it!)

I have little time for folk having their spelling or grammar corrected on here, especially when its used to score points in an argument. The whole thing about the love of football is that it is shared by princes and paupers .... or more to the point, people with a university level education and people with next to none. Everybody makes mistakes in spelling or grammar, including me, but I like to think I'm getting my point across even if I have made mistakes. I hate the thought that another Hibby would feel unable to join in with debates on this forum for fear of having their intelligence questioned ... its not on !!!

In my working life I have met highly intelligent and street wise people who had extremely questionable grammar and couldn't spell for toffee. I have also met incredibly stupid people without a modicum of common sense whose spelling and grammar were exemplary.

Just sew long as a person is geting there poynt accros in what dibate thay are being a person whats taking part in it hoo cares about there speling and grammur in al onesty.

Its more annoying when folk don't split up a long post into sentences and paragraphs .... that's a lot harder going to read than stuff with spelling mistakes and bad grammar.

I'm sure Lea Anne Dempster and Dylan Mac Geeough would agree